The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION My startup progress that will buy me a Ferrari

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

AppMan

Contributor
May 25, 2019
Hi all
So as many of you know I have a tech startup that if it get executed and built right , might be a multi million worth. But I was and still in my 9 to 5 job , beside my limited experience in entrepreneurship, and my high talk to do ratio tendency I decided to get a mentor.
The first mentor seem good on paper whoever he wasnt competent and didn't add anything to my knowledge. So I dumped him and ask the org to assign another one, this one was gold , he is already fastlaner with two large companies under his belt. Very supportive and creative. So I decided to go with him .
My strategy is to build my startup plus monetize my web design business to bring me enough income to leave my 5-9 rat race cage.
Sh*t , it is already 12:13, will continue tomorrow .

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
A

AppMan

Contributor
May 25, 2019
Today I have done from create DB architecture, although my mentor suggested to go with free database, but since my experience with Microsoft stack is better ,I decided to go with that for now until my app start making some profit then I ll switch so something cheaper or free such as MySql or NoSql Db .
Other things I did :
Setup my agile board
Setup My trello board
Deciding what features my app should have
Then deciding which of these features require for MVP (Minimal Viable Product) .

How I am doing it with 9 to 5 job ?
1- Exercising at 9 PM so I feel energetic after that.
2- Taking green tea pills at the evening ( not good but I am also doing it to loose weight )
3- Just executing: I stopped doing more plans and started executing feature by feature .
4- using drawing book to draw my mockups , it help me when I have no desire to look at the screen . Also I felt really creative doing that.
This weekend I am planning to finish the API so I can move after that to client side development and mobile app development .
Planning on outsourcing some of the work to India ,but I want to make sure all the backbone is done by me.
Have to admit , I really in need for more sleep. hopefully will find a way to sleep at least 7:30 hours daily.

OP
OP
A

AppMan

Contributor
May 25, 2019
So far I did a good progress, by working two hours before I go to my day job , however I feel like I cannot fight for all the fronts , as my MVP require :
1- Web interface (Viewer, Editor )
2- Mobile App (Design and Development)
3- Backend in cloud
4- Website to be used when I start contacting businesses.
5- Some Posters and brochures to educate businesses about this project.

So I did the following :
1- Divided my startup into these main projects.
2- Hire Virtual Assistance that practically she will be the product manager. However I gave her this title to she will not ask for high hourly rate.
3- Hire software developers that will help me progressing in all the fronts. I ll keep them minimally involved in backend as it is the core of my app, they will do mostly the fornt end projects.

What I noticed was that I enjoyed really developing my app. I haven't started from scratch building such a complex software from a long time, usually the companies I work on already have the product up and running, while here I am choosing what technology to use , and how to use it. However I have to be business minded and not sink myself in such details.

OP
OP
A

AppMan

Contributor
May 25, 2019
Yesterday I meet with my mentor , my application progress to what I called pre-MVP version, I was happy with that, as I never have software app progressed to this stage, all my previous software ideas was stopped after planning and initial set up stage with some coding that doesn't reach any releasable feature.
my mentor was really supportive and giving good advise, however I found that he give similar idea to another startup but applied in different industry, I felt little betrayed here, and part of that was because I didnt ask him to sigh NDA as my org has advised me. He also said will help me bring me my first customers, which was a big relef for me as this was my hardest part in the past projects
So far I spent 1000$ and I estimate another $2000 need to be spent to have MVP version released, beside another $1000 for website and marketing materials.
My day job is sucking all my energy and left me with little time to work on this project. But at this stage , this is the best I can do.
I also got accepted some webdesign job and really have no time to finish it, luckly I make the completion time little long in the contract so I am kind of protected.
Lessons learned :
Always sign NDA when it is required
Try to push even if 5 minutes daily
Stay very organized by using project management tools , as it is very easy to forget to implement something or things get messy.

Reactions: Kid
OP
OP
A

AppMan

Contributor
May 25, 2019
Today one of the tech giants released a new feature in their popular product that is exactly do what I was planning to make my app do, and for FREE !
now my product has to have more feature to compete with this giant tech company product, lucky it is not their main focus and most likely they will not add a lot capabilities to this feature in their product, even though their history show that anything they release people like it and use it.

francevalue

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 29, 2019
France
Today one of the tech giants released a new feature in their popular product that is exactly do what I was planning to make my app do, and for FREE !
now my product has to have more feature to compete with this giant tech company product, lucky it is not their main focus and most likely they will not add a lot capabilities to this feature in their product, even though their history show that anything they release people like it and use it.
Stay strong man!

OP
OP
A

AppMan

Contributor
May 25, 2019
Stay strong man!
Thanks , I decided to go with with my product, first because it proves my idea is valid , second there is still room for competition, take Gmail for example , although it is feature packed and no other provider can provide same service level, there are still millions of people using other products for some reason or other .

OP
OP
A

AppMan

Contributor
May 25, 2019
Today I kind of reached another milestone in the development of this software, and it sound like I need to put more time than what I expected initially, so to get motivated myself more I have put these reasons why I need to get this software up and running :
1- I want at least one software product launched before I turn 40 y. I spend too much time starting non-finished applications .
2- Executing a startup is a huge experience that without it , you are just another dreamer. It is also what angel investors look at when they decide to give you a resume.
3- I need a starting point product, without product I cannot learn and improve.

Based on that I decided to focus and continue developing my product.
Big challenge :
- Time for coding

elusive97

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Nov 28, 2019
Yorkshire
Keep up the progress!

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
Hi Kyle, I sent you an email a couple of days ago. Just letting you know, in case it went to...
MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
I'm thinking about joining the program. How is it like joining from Asia (Japan specifically)...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Well, we made it halfway through the year. Don't know what the rest'll bring, but it's gonna be...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Not really a teaser but it does employ a fictional story, so that is similiar. This upcoming...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom