The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My second time being pronounced dead.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Premixedd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 13, 2016
Gilbert, AZ
I have failed again.

This is officially the second time I have quit my job to pursue my fast lane dreams, only to disappoint myself and my family.

I have spent two months trying to bootstrap cash to pay my bills and provide food for my wife and 3 month old son. Every venture I have tried so far has left me feeling exhausted, burnt out, and deeply depressed.

My whole life has been providing manual labor for skilled trades, so my computer, technical, and interpersonal communication knowledge is severely lacking.

I tried upwork as a copywriter, but just couldn't afford to write for free, or next to nothing in order to boost my ratings.

I then jumped to craigslist to start buying and selling things for small profits. I did ok with this, but simply do not have any capital to purchase enough volume or purchase larger items to make more money. The few small items I sold were more of a hassle and time consuming than I felt necessary.

I tried cold calling businesses with outdated websites to try and sell them on having something current built, but struck out so many times, I finally just said enough.

Last month I was barely able to pay my rent, and could not pay any of my other bills (car payment,utilities, insurance, etc.) This month I'm dodging calls from bill collectors, while staring down the barrel of uncertainty of how I will make ends meet.

I'm living off a credit card (took out a cash advance to fund my craigslist project), and have allowed my wife's father to pay for some of our necessities.

Why have I let it get this far?

Simply for the fact that I have NEVER done anything in regards to trying to break free from my miserable existence I had doing what I called "work". I was just another person who took job after job, working for companies as a number.

Not only that, but also for the fact that my wife had expressed how happy she was that I had decided to stay home with her to help her raise our first child together.

I feel like I have hit rock bottom. My morale is shot.

Am I giving up?

No.

Just really pissed I have to get a 9-5 again.

If anyone has any solid motivational advice for me, I would really appreciate it!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

Sometimes this is necessary. Not having a job does not equal freedom. Sometimes a 9-5 will provide money that will help you to move forward. Sometimes a 9-5 will provide skills and training that allow you to move forward. Sometimes it will provide peace of mind while you work on your plan.

I kept working for 2 years while preparing my biz.

Another thing is that internet businesses are not the only way to go. There are numerous businesses in your line of work that are scalable.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
True. But there's different kinds of freedom. By finding a job that pays your bills, you will have freedom from worry. That's something I think entrepreneurs often overlook, especially when supporting a family.

I know that many (very smart, successful) Fastlaners would disagree, but I think there's a lot of value in keeping your day-job until you've reached a certain level of success in the Fastlane.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
How much time did you spend researching and finding out exactly how things work in your niches on your different platforms ? It could be that you're jumping from thing to thing but not knowing any info on how they actually work. The big thing people seem to neglect is the amount of study time it takes to become successful at anything. You have to KNOW b4 you can win

Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I have spent two months trying

Every venture I have tried

I tried upwork

I then jumped to craigslist

I tried cold calling businesses

more of a hassle and time consuming than I felt necessary

Simply for the fact that I have NEVER done anything

Dang, looks like you answered your own question.

I'm not being an a$$, I'm being serious. Nothing ever got done 'trying' and 'jumping' and then giving up when it actually started to work.

You need a job, and you're going to be working it for some time, and you're not going to quit it until you COMMIT to something AND it starts making you more money in profit than your day job is.

Shiny object syndrome at its worst. Sorry you had to learn the hard way, with a kid and all.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
My whole life has been providing manual labor for skilled trades, so my computer, technical, and interpersonal communication knowledge is severely lacking.

If you've been doing manual labor your whole life, chances are , you're skilled at it.

Have you ever thought about leveraging that skill in order to start your own business?

To quote @SteveO: "Another thing is that internet businesses are not the only way to go. There are numerous businesses in your line of work that are scalable."

Last edited:

juan917

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 27, 2015
Well, did you learn anything? Develop any new skills?

Also, you haven't failed that many times tbh. Every failure is a new step forward. Now you know what doesn't work for you. Do you know how many times Edison failed?

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
If you had no definite ideas or direction why would you quit your job and hope for the best? If you work 8 hours a day, sleep 8 hours a day, spend 2 hours commuting/eating that gives you 6 hours a day to start a business. Having a "normal job" does not keep you from starting/operating a business. You can work 9-5 and get a busines rolling at the same time.

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
Well, learning it is the only sensible available option, no?

I tried upwork as a copywriter, but just couldn't afford to write for free, or next to nothing in order to boost my ratings.
That's really not the only way. Many good people on the forum have proven that.

I then jumped to craigslist to start buying and selling things for small profits. I did ok with this, but simply do not have any capital to purchase enough volume or purchase larger items to make more money. The few small items I sold were more of a hassle and time consuming than I felt necessary.
So, you're too good for unsatisfactory profits, but not too good for no profit at all?

I tried cold calling businesses with outdated websites to try and sell them on having something current built, but struck out so many times, I finally just said enough.
There's this prevalent idea on the forum, that persistence/not giving up is the key to success. There just might be something to it.

P.S. I apologize if I've messed something up with the quotes.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
Man, stick to one thing.

I quit my job 8 months ago. I worked on several business ideas for 6 months and I made exactly $0.
Then I began freelancing, made a few hundred dollars in Fiverr and then Fiverr banned me. I cried a lot in this forum lol haha.

But it helped me to take better decisions. I tried cold calling but I dont have the skills to cold call atm. And I want to build that up, but thats going to take a lot of time (I am not a native speaker) and I have only a few months of savings left. So the easy way out was to move to UpWork. Even @SinisterLex told me to do the same so I registered in UpWork. But they did not accept my profile (new rules) and they dont have space for a web developer.

Most importantly UpWork was giving me automated replies. I remembered what is told in the Millionaire Fastlane to be responsible AND accountable to the past mistakes. Fiverr banned me for reasons unknown to me and there customer service is a computer that shoots template emails. And the same is true for UpWork. Will I feel safe to work with a business like that?

So I stopped UpWork. UpWork is great but a few friends of mine who are killing it as a Freelancer told its a trap that can keep you in a box. A box where you keep sending proposals to offers in UpWork to get more jobs. And if they ban you, you are done.

So now I began sending direct proposals to website owners. Each proposals took me 30 min to an hour to write. I sent 50 proposals via email. Got 0 reply and 10 opens. I got my email checked my copywriters and they said its a good email. The problem is that you have to approach people who are thinking of building websites. Not random people.

And how do I find people who want websites without going to them? This is what I have been doing for the last 1 week and what I will be doing from now until I either fail or win. I am changing my approaches but I am keeping my goals.

I quit my job 8 months ago (With around 5 months of savings)
First 5 months I made $0.
Last 3 months I made $658.

I dont have wife and kids. I live in a place where rent is $200 per month. My monthly living expense is under $300. And I had savings to live for a few months like that when I quit my job. It was not a safe move and I dont know whats going to happen tomorrow.

All I can tell is, it took me 8 months to make $658. And I have an IQ of 132 so I am not an idiot haha its just that making money will take time as you have to learn and change so many things in your life. Its about little improvements everyday. You have to measure everything to see those improvements. You have to meet people. You have to read books. Its not an event, its a process. Its actually quite hard to do this.

So my advice to you is
1) Be prepared to make no money doing business. If you have wife and a 3 month baby who needs food, get a job.
2) Measure everything. All metrics - how many hours are you working? how many work you finished a day? Whats traffic to your website? What is the bounce rate? How much money you made last week? Is your business improving? Are your skills improving?
3) And do ONE thing. Like what MJ said, a bad idea executed well can make millions. An awesome idea executed bad will make no money.

PS: I have a friend who made $1000 a month a few months after he quit his job. I have another friend who is making $500-800 a day just after an year of starting business. And then there is me who made $658 in 8 months. You can be successful in any speed. As long as the metrics are slowly increasing you should go forward with the current idea.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
783%
May 5, 2014
Sometimes you have to suck it up and get a job to provide for your family. And when you aren't providing for your family you are working on your other hustles.

You cant just cut the income stream that feeds you and hope that something starts to work especially when people depend on you.

Get a job Work 9-5 get off work spend time with your family until 6 and then go back to work from 6-1 and repeat that everyday for the next 3-7 years.

Edit: And before you say you cant just realize there are people on this forum that wake up at 5 work from the time the wake up at their day job until 5 and then they go back to work until 2 or 3 in the morning to make it work.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Man, stick to one thing.

I quit my job 8 months ago. I worked on several business ideas for 6 months and I made exactly $0.
Then I began freelancing, made a few hundred dollars in Fiverr and then Fiverr banned me. I cried a lot in this forum lol haha.

But it helped me to take better decisions. I tried cold calling but I dont have the skills to cold call atm. And I want to build that up, but thats going to take a lot of time (I am not a native speaker) and I have only a few months of savings left. So the easy way out was to move to UpWork. Even @SinisterLex told me to do the same so I registered in UpWork. But they did not accept my profile (new rules) and they dont have space for a web developer.

Most importantly UpWork was giving me automated replies. I remembered what is told in the Millionaire Fastlane to be responsible AND accountable to the past mistakes. Fiverr banned me for reasons unknown to me and there customer service is a computer that shoots template emails. And the same is true for UpWork. Will I feel safe to work with a business like that?

So I stopped UpWork. UpWork is great but a few friends of mine who are killing it as a Freelancer told its a trap that can keep you in a box. A box where you keep sending proposals to offers in UpWork to get more jobs. And if they ban you, you are done.

So now I began sending direct proposals to website owners. Each proposals took me 30 min to an hour to write. I sent 50 proposals via email. Got 0 reply and 10 opens. I got my email checked my copywriters and they said its a good email. The problem is that you have to approach people who are thinking of building websites. Not random people.

And how do I find people who want websites without going to them? This is what I have been doing for the last 1 week and what I will be doing from now until I either fail or win. I am changing my approaches but I am keeping my goals.

I quit my job 8 months ago (With around 5 months of savings)
First 5 months I made $0.
Last 3 months I made $658.

I dont have wife and kids. I live in a place where rent is $200 per month. My monthly living expense is under $300. And I had savings to live for a few months like that when I quit my job. It was not a safe move and I dont know whats going to happen tomorrow.

All I can tell is, it took me 8 months to make $658. And I have an IQ of 132 so I am not an idiot haha its just that making money will take time as you have to learn and change so many things in your life. Its about little improvements everyday. You have to measure everything to see those improvements. You have to meet people. You have to read books. Its not an event, its a process. Its actually quite hard to do this.

So my advice to you is
1) Be prepared to make no money doing business. If you have wife and a 3 month baby who needs food, get a job.
2) Measure everything. All metrics - how many hours are you working? how many work you finished a day? Whats traffic to your website? What is the bounce rate? How much money you made last week? Is your business improving? Are your skills improving?
3) And do ONE thing. Like what MJ said, a bad idea executed well can make millions. An awesome idea executed bad will make no money.

PS: I have a friend who made $1000 a month a few months after he quit his job. I have another friend who is making $500-800 a day just after an year of starting business. And then there is me who made $658 in 8 months. You can be successful in any speed. As long as the metrics are slowly increasing you should go forward with the current idea.

Off topic.

But @nradam123, sounds like you've improved A LOT since the last time I saw your posts on the forum.
Taking action is everything, huh?
Seems like you learned a bunch and have gotten a feel for the "real world".

Congrats brother. Keep it up and keep us updated.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
@Dusty_19

You need to become more aware of yourself.

Focus on your strengths and not your weaknesses.

Focus on what you have going for you, as opposed to trying to be someone you are not.

I don't know what type of manual labor jobs you did, but if I were you, I'd leverage the skills you developed at these jobs in order to start your own business. Usually, these are businesses with extremely low startup costs. You have the skills, you just need the customers (learn how to market and sell yourself). (Not to mention that there is a need in the marketplace for these type of workers, because most people want a cozy office job).

Also, stick to one thing at a time.

Nobody becomes a world class copywriter in a month applying to gigs on upwork.

Nobody becomes a master salesman cold calling for a month.

You said: "I tried cold calling businesses with outdated websites to try and sell them on having something current built, but struck out so many times, I finally just said enough."

Did you know that the average sales conversion rate for an outbound telemarketing campaign is:

B2C: 0.5 - 1%.
B2B :13 - 15%.

Do the math.

You're supposed to strike out.

It's a numbers game.

Not to mention that you need to get these things right as well:

1. The quality of the leads (chances are, the people you called see no value in having a website, that's why they have one on weebly....)
2. Price point - (Different prices will generate different responses.)
3. Sales agents and agent training (How skilled are you?)

If you're trying to become good at something that can possibly be what your going to be doing for the rest of your life, and you give up after a month, I don't know what to tell you. Because this is a CHOICE. I'm assuming no one is forcing you to learn these things and they didn't pick these things out for you to learn. YOU DID. So it doesn't make sense to me that you want to become a copywriter (a potentially life changing decision), read a couple of books, apply to a couple of gigs and then quit after a month.

Choose ONE thing and focus all of your energy on it.
Commit yourself to mastering your craft.

You're all over the place.

You've gotten plenty of feedback here, so what are you going to do to act upon it?

- Thiago

P.S.

Last edited:

Premixedd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 13, 2016
Gilbert, AZ
Thank you for all the motivational posts! It means a lot to have a community of like minded people who can help keep your mind on track when things get rough!

I also wanted to apologize for any of you who took this post as a "woe is me" type of rant. I am definitely well aware that I caused myself to fail by not properly preparing/executing. I just needed to vent a little, and once again appreciate you guys taking the time to listen and respond.

I believe I came off as quite a bit more ignorant than I really am. I was somewhat forced into a life of skilled trade from a young age, but over the years have developed a wide variety of valuable skill sets outside the realm of wood and nails.

Heres where I messed up-

I became too focused on the "shiny" things on this forum. (as prev. mentioned)
AND
I jumped off a cliff without a parachute. (I was not financially secure enough to afford failure)

A.K.A.- All my brain seemed to register was success. I chose to look past all the failure stories, and got caught up in a whirlwind of "How I'm making $50k a month doing almost nothing with no experience" threads. Everyone on here makes it sound so simple by laying these golden eggs everywhere. With the wealth of invaluable information, its almost impossible not to get falsely empowered.

People like Ice Cream Kid, Biophase, Sinister Lex, and Steve O (just a few off the top of my head) have damn near paved a solid gold road for people willing to listen, read between the lines a little, and seriously put in the work. And I commend each and every one of you guys for doing so.

BOTTOM LINE:

I jumped in head first without a game plan. I was so sick and tired of the monotonous, tiring, and unrewarding jobs that had occupied my life for 10 years, that I was desperate for an out.

Rookie mistake.

I know I have everything it takes it be successful in my chosen endeavors. I know I will succeed at some point. I have no question in my abilities as a human being to adapt and overcome any obstacle that stands between me and happiness. I just need to take things one step at a time.

I hope this helps at least one person other than myself!!!

Its imperative to learn from your mistakes if you want to grow. However, its far more productive to learn from someone else before making the same mistake.

Premixedd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 13, 2016
Gilbert, AZ
How much time did you spend researching and finding out exactly how things work in your niches on your different platforms ? It could be that you're jumping from thing to thing but not knowing any info on how they actually work. The big thing people seem to neglect is the amount of study time it takes to become successful at anything. You have to KNOW b4 you can win
Yes, that was one of my issues. Problem was, I set out on my journey with about half a months expenses saved, thinking it would just motivate me to HAVE to make money.

I found out real fast that it only forced me to not only stress uncontrollably about bills (taking focus off my tasks at hand), but also did not allow me the time needed to fail.

Premixedd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 13, 2016
Gilbert, AZ
If you've been doing manual labor your whole life, chances are , you're skilled at it.

Have you ever thought about leveraging that skill in order to start your own business?

To quote @SteveO: "Another thing is that internet businesses are not the only way to go. There are numerous businesses in your line of work that are scalable."
I have thought about this

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
@Dusty_19 it's all great and fantastic that you feel better now.

BUT WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO TO IMPROVE YOUR SITUATION?

TL;DR Whats the plan???

Premixedd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 13, 2016
Gilbert, AZ
@Dusty_19

You need to become more aware of yourself.

Focus on your strengths and not your weaknesses.

Focus on what you have going for you, as opposed to trying to be someone you are not.

I don't know what type of manual labor jobs you did, but if I were you, I'd leverage the skills you developed at these jobs in order to start your own business. Usually, these are businesses with extremely low startup costs. You have the skills, you just need the customers (learn how to market and sell yourself). (Not to mention that there is a need in the marketplace for these type of workers, because most people want a cozy office job).

Also, stick to one thing at a time.

Nobody becomes a world class copywriter in a month applying to gigs on upwork.

Nobody becomes a master salesman cold calling for a month.

You're supposed to strike out.

It's a numbers game.

Not to mention that you need to get these things right as well:

1. The quality of the leads (chances are, the people you called see no value in having a website, that's why they have one on weebly....)
2. Price point - (Different prices will generate different responses.)
3. Sales agents and agent training (How skilled are you?)

If you're trying to become good at something that can possibly be what your going to be doing for the rest of your life, and you give up after a month, I don't know what to tell you. Because this is a CHOICE. I'm assuming no one is forcing you to learn these things and they didn't pick these things out for you to learn. YOU DID. So it doesn't make sense to me that you want to become a copywriter (a potentially life changing decision), read a couple of books, apply to a couple of gigs and then quit after a month.

Choose ONE thing and focus all of your energy on it.
Commit yourself to mastering your craft.

You're all over the place.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you Thiago!

As I mentioned above, I think my OP came off fairly ignorant, and for that I apologize.

I am fully aware of each and every aspect you have mentioned and highlighted. I just chose not to jump too in depth on the subject. None the less, I greatly appreciate your feedback! Its reassuring to say the least, knowing that someone other than myself sees what I see.

A simple answer as to why I did the aforementioned gigs would be desperation. The sole purpose of those ventures were to generate a quick buck to pay my bills. Nothing more.

On that note, I will be further investigating my options and re thinking my game plan.

Premixedd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 13, 2016
Gilbert, AZ
@Dusty_19 it's all great and fantastic that you feel better now.

BUT WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO TO IMPROVE YOUR SITUATION?

TL;DR Whats the plan???
First step is to find a job. (In progress)

Second step is to get back on track financially.

Third step (ongoing process) is to research, and find my "niche", followed by laying out a game plan for execution.

Fourth step will be executing said plan, adjusting as necessary, and fine tuning as I go.

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
Keep us posted and we will make sure you follow through.

Good luck ;)

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
There is a great bit in The 4-Hour Work Week about making yourself the most valuable employee ever. Going continually above and beyond to get more money and some small freedoms to be able to put even more into your fastlane business. Don't half a$$ your job. Do it to the absolute best of your ability. .... this will carry over into your fastlane plans!

While building up your reserve and covering your living expenses, force yourself to hustle for any 'entrepreneur' money. This will get you thinking about how to add value and finding opportunity. Then when your investment funds catch up, you'll be ready to capitalize.

Quit gambling. Start investing.

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
This is an easy one. I remember when I was just as misguided. To your defense, there is a lot of chatter on this forum that makes some almost feel like they are doing something wrong if they haven't gone "all in", quit their job, and start making things happen. For the family guys, that just really isn't a viable option.

I will tell what what I did and how I used the information on these forums. First, I worked two fulltime jobs for eight months. Because I am an IT guy, I have the option to, sort of, cheat. I would be at work on my regular day job, and I was a contractor for another company working remotely ( I took the laptop from my temproray gig to my fulltime day job). Essentially, I got double pay during the same eight hour shift. I stashed the money from the contract gig and didn't touch it. That was my "hustle". Some might view what i did as unethical, but neither company knew that the other one existed, and both were thrilled with what I delivered. With about $60k in hand, I was able to fund my venture.

One suggestion I have........get that 8-5 job. Become the best employee you can be.....to the point where your employer feels like they can't live without you (you will be able to tell if they feel this way or not). One of the managers that I assist told my boss that I have gotten more done in four weeks than the last guy got done in a year. Use that logic when picking up your side gigs. Make your customers feel like they can't live without you.

I am still working the 8-5 and will continue to do so until my gut and my finances tells me that my employers paychecks are no longer needed.

Premixedd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 13, 2016
Gilbert, AZ
I just accepted my old job in North Dakota working the oil fields after randomly receiving a text from my old boss asking if I would come back. $22 an hour, 90+ hours a week. Should get me back on my feet within a few months.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
I just accepted my old job in North Dakota working the oil fields after randomly receiving a text from my old boss asking if I would come back. $22 an hour, 90+ hours a week. Should get me back on my feet within a few months.

What does "working the oil fields" mean?

Be as detailed as possible...

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
There is some incredible words of advice on here. Hats off, gang.

It's already been touched on but let me underscore most people look to try a TACTIC instead of creating a business STRATEGY.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

"Trying" a tactic like "craigs list" or "upwork" tells me you didn't have much of a business in mind before quitting your job and risking it all.

First, have a clear vision about what you want.

Second, have a clear vision about how you're going to get there.

Sounds like platitudes but maybe I can suggest putting together a short 1-page business plan before starting your next venture?

Premixedd

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jan 13, 2016
Gilbert, AZ
What does "working the oil fields" mean?

Be as detailed as possible...
Roustabout Foreman / Pipe Welder / Pipe Fitter / Equipment Operator / Hot Shot Driver / Site Developer for well sites producing natural gas and crude oil.

I wear one hat for many trades while working for this outfit. I am expected to start, and finish well site projects with a crew of 2-3 men under me, therefore I do whatever I need to in order to get things done.

Once the drilling rig has moved off site, we begin building.

(And before anyone says anything, I am certified in all the trades I listed, have my CDL, and am required to regularly attend and pass OSHA training seminars. Not just some fly by night handyman!)

FiftySeven

Sex. Power. World Domination.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
479%
Jan 18, 2015
LandoftheBlind where one-laser-eyed man is King
Roustabout Foreman / Pipe Welder / Pipe Fitter / Equipment Operator / Hot Shot Driver / Site Developer for well sites producing natural gas and crude oil.

I wear one hat for many trades while working for this outfit. I am expected to start, and finish well site projects with a crew of 2-3 men under me, therefore I do whatever I need to in order to get things done.

Once the drilling rig has moved off site, we begin building.

(And before anyone says anything, I am certified in all the trades I listed, have my CDL, and am required to regularly attend and pass OSHA training seminars. Not just some fly by night handyman!)

Dusty_19,

Just some random thoughts here. Don’t take them personal, but at the same time, they are gonna be …. personal!

“I have failed again.”

Nope, you just found another way that that did not work. Welcome to the club. One step closer to the FL. Failure is a thing, not a person.

Congrats on getting the J.O.B. in ND.

$22*90 is actually [( 22*40) + ( [22*1.5]*50)] or about $10K/mo. I could live on that! Here’s the opportunity in that situation – there are guys in the ND oilpatch doing 5x that. When you get there, find out who they are, what their skills are, what they need, how to help them. Then YOU are doing 5x.

“My whole life has been providing manual labor for skilled trades, so my computer, technical and interpersonal communication knowledge is severely lacking.”

You are on the forum, talking to us. Sounds like computer skills to me. I was in a skilled trade all my life – good money, steady job. What was my mistake? I was in a skilled trade ALL MY LIFE. Now you know better. Looking at your job desc, you cannot do all those things with "interpersonal communication knowledge severely lacking". Aw, c'mon. Don't sell yourself short.

“I believe I came off as quite a bit more ignorant than I really am.”

We’re all ignorant – it just means that there is something we don’t know. We’ll never know it all. That’s the good thing – if we all “knew it all”, we wouldn’t need each other – no opportunity to serve others and make money doing it. As @Andy Black says, “Money is proof that you helped your fellow man.” Your ignorance is someone else’s opportunity & vice-versa.

“I know I have everything it takes it be successful in my chosen endeavors. I know I will succeed at some point. I have no question in my abilities as a human being to adapt and overcome any obstacle that stands between me and happiness. I just need to take things one step at a time.”

Now we’re getting somewhere! This is where growth will occur.

“If anyone has any solid motivational advice for me, I would really appreciate it!”

My business card says “Motivational Speaker” on it & I live right across the Valley from you – but I cannot motivate you to do anything. That is up to you! Every day I have to work on my attitude. Every day – from here to Eternity. Actually, working on my attitude is an Opportunity. When I get down on myself and my situation, one thing I think about is this – there are only about 7 billion people on the planet who would change places with me in a heartbeat – not too bad a life is it, George Bailey!!?

“… after randomly receiving a text from my old boss asking if I would come back.”

Was it really ‘random’ or are you already building a quality network?

I became too focused on the "shiny" things on this forum.

The forum is good, especially the Inside. At the same time, have you studied TMF?

Looking at your job desc, is it possible that you are underpaid? My feeling is yes.

Lastly, sometimes we carry around pictures in our head without really thinking of their meaning. Your avatar is dramatic, but what is actually happening there? ;)

Welcome to the forum. Don’t worry, you’re gonna make it.

‘57

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
First step is to find a job. (In progress)

Second step is to get back on track financially.

Third step (ongoing process) is to research, and find my "niche", followed by laying out a game plan for execution.

Fourth step will be executing said plan, adjusting as necessary, and fine tuning as I go.

Forget the plan. Forget the niche.
I tested 6 niches or something in the past 1 month.
My plans had to change because an intermediate plan failed.

You need to have a vision, and a daily/weekly plan (I use weekly because it takes a week to really get any kind of feedback, if not more). A long term plan is usually never going to work out (Not my words, you can read Antifragile by Nassim Taleb). You need to spent 95% focus on the daily plan and 5% focus on the vision.

TIP: For daily/weekly plan I use Trello - > https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...th-the-system-legendary-fastlaners-use.67028/

If you plan to lay out a game plan try to get some feedback in a week, because if it takes 6 months to get feedback and if its negative, there goes your 6 months down the toilet.

Serious shit.

Anyway, bottom line is - Just keep executing and testing your plans as fast as possible. You can always improve it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.