The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My new boss just extended my probationary period!

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
I noticed a flair in your writing too..FYI.

Thanks, I will work on this.

I'm A.D.D. and it sounds like maybe you are to ? Or A.D.H.D. ?

I think there's a good possibility. For example, I start off with a list of what to do. Then I start, and after 5 minutes, I skip off on a tangent and one thing leads to another. At the end of the day, I've achieved nothing on my list. Also, when people are talking to me, sometimes, I'm miles ahead thinking about the next 10 questions I need to ask them, without fully paying attention to the answer they're giving me currently.

It's something I don't know much about though. I'm reluctant to 'label' myself with something else, but it does seem to be restrictive.

You'll hear this a lot too...Do Something. Just try something. Follow through. I've done this many times this past 2 yrs and it's ALL been good even though 99% have 'failed'.

I need to do this!
I do something nice for someone every chance I get. It's amazing.

I've started this also, admittedly not every day per say. Something I want to focus more on....

Thanks for all your tips.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Thanks for all your tips.
You're welcome. I've done a lot of reading on A.D.D. I'm very glad I'm on meds for it, but like I said, it's not a cure. I have a lot of 'tricks' and things I do to keep me focused and on schedule. PM me if you have any questions.

stephanduq

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Apr 7, 2013
Working on it :) Have a few ideas - just having to play the waiting game a little and cash up to go full throttle with them. I don't entirely hate my job but I hate the concept of doing it for another 10 years.. But having a general plan has made it infinitely more bearable.

You know what is better then waiting for money to come in. Doing it now with no resources, and failing at it. You can set up landing pages, and fail at getting people to look at it. You can connect with bloggers about your ideas, and fail at getting them to respond to you. There is a world of failure you can go through, without spending money. Why wait for money to come, and loose both time and money on the failure you are going to experience anyway. Having a plan ready, and not executing it in any way you can is not failure, it's fear.

I'm not saying this because I'm cynical, when you want to learn and develop something, you simply need to spend time to fail. Until at some point you start failing less, and winning more. For example, great visual artists all started with a 1000 sucky drawings before they made a nice one. After that they made 900 sucky drawings until they made a nice one. After that 800, etc etc. They simply accept that they fail, a lot, but eventually they won't, and become a great visual artist. The costs for failure is not tuition money for masters or art academies, its not renting space for a studio or shiny digital painting tools. Its 100000 sheets of paper, and buckets of worn through pencils.

I absolutely suck at marketing and PR. But that doesn't mean I'm going to wait around for a marketing co-founder to wander into my life, or hope to get lucky enough that a social influencer sees my projects. I'm simply writing my a$$ of every day contacting people everywhere, sucking at it, but slowly improving my communication skills and marketing knowledge. I need thousands of users to make my project profitable, and if I have to, I swear I will write each single one of them a tweet, email, post pigeon, or whatever I need, to get them to try it. And when the marketeer shows up, or I have a marketing budget, most of the preparation is done, and I have acquired enough of a skill set to work with them, instead of trusting them.

Last edited:

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
You know what is better then waiting for money to come in. Doing it now with no resources, and failing at it. You can set up landing pages, and fail at getting people to look at it. You can connect with bloggers about your ideas, and fail at getting them to respond to you. There is a world of failure you can go through, without spending money. Why wait for money to come, and loose both time and money on the failure you are going to experience anyway. Having a plan ready, and not executing it in any way you can is not failure, it's fear.

I'm not saying this because I'm cynical, when you want to learn and develop something, you simply need to spend time to fail. Until at some point you start failing less, and winning more. For example, great visual artists all started with a 1000 sucky drawings before they made a nice one. After that they made 900 sucky drawings until they made a nice one. After that 800, etc etc. They simply accept that they fail, a lot, but eventually they won't, and become a great visual artist. The costs for failure is not tuition money for masters or art academies, its not renting space for a studio or shiny digital painting tools. Its 100000 sheets of paper, and buckets of worn through pencils.

I absolutely suck at marketing and PR. But that doesn't mean I'm going to wait around for a marketing co-founder to wander into my life, or hope to get lucky enough that a social influencer sees my projects. I'm simply writing my a$$ of every day contacting people everywhere, sucking at it, but slowly improving my communication skills and marketing knowledge. I need thousands of users to make my project profitable, and if I have to, I swear I will write each single one of them a tweet, email, post pigeon, or whatever I need, to get them to try it. And when the marketeer shows up, or I have a marketing budget, most of the preparation is done, and I have acquired enough of a skill set to work with them, instead of trusting them.
I couldn't agree more with that in theory, BUT it depends on the situation. I perscribe fully to not putting off what can be done today, but I'm in a position where I'm paid well enough to fund my ambitions directly. I don't have the 7 figure i come that I aspire to, but packing in my 6 figure salary to go it with no resources would mean that in 6-12 months down the line I could be financially in the same position as if I were to wait 6-12 months to save. The worst case analysis becomes potentially having nothing in 6 months and not getting off the ground, or hitting the ground running and having resources to fall back on. either way I will have to follow the same learning curve, but having a fall back means that I am further from the position of HAVING to go back to work if the worst should happen. I know Im going to make it work, but I have a lot to set up which means a period of time with limited income. I might as well undertake that whilst my slowlane income is bolstering the resources. If it's a case of limited difference it's a different story.

don't get me wrong, I'm not saying nothing is getting done in the meantime, in fact it is consuming every spare moment; but failing and not spending a dime is one thing, failing and abandoning an income that will overcome a future redlight is a very different one in my opinion :)

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
It’s almost 3 months since I wrote this thread. Things have got worse. I will find out about my probation the last week before Christmas (nice timing). Since I just got a ‘de-motivational talking to’ from the ‘big boss’ on Friday, I’m almost certain I will get fired. It’s pretty inevitable. Still.....I can’t bring myself to do any work, even though I need to. I don’t know what’s wrong with me.

Today I also found out I didn’t get a job that I had a second interview for. It was my get out, and I’d pinned my hopes on it. It was going back to Sales, with a better salary, and it would’ve been much better experience going forward.

I feel absolutely hopeless today.

Really down in the dumps.

One of those days when I feel I can achieve nothing.

The thought of starting a business is laughable, honestly, it feels like it’s impossible right now. Really impossible. I may as well just give up browsing the forum (it only makes me feel inadequate anyway when I read of people taking action), and forget about reading my books, since I never follow through. Perhaps I should go back to watching more TV!

I don’t even know why I’m writing this TBH, I’ll probably regret it. I guess I’m just trying to reach out since I’m feeling desperate right now. Like there is no point in even trying. I’m fed up with it all, I feel ashamed, embarrassed, useless, and depressed. Realise I probably do have ADHD too.

I also feel guilty for being selfish. There are people out there worse than me.

NOT a good day.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I have been fired once in my life, and as gut wrenching as the event and the months leading up to it was, it was one of the best things to happen to me. I look back on it now and it is easily the job I learned the most from, despite it ending in disaster! It was definately my fault I was fired, but it was not through lack of effort. Taught me how to become more professional and also highlighted my personal strengths and weaknesses.

Of course it doesn't have to end the same way for you if you can identify what's going wrong and work on it. Hard.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
Dude, this is gonna be what makes you or breaks you.

THIS MOMENT RIGHT HERE.

You are either gonna cave in like some slug, or have your "F*ck this" moment and turn it around after you get done reading my last period in the last sentence of this post.

You need to NOT be getting depressed at this point and feeling sorry for yourself. You need to get the F*ck up and give 300% to your job right now if that's all you got and then kick yourself for not having a backup side income. However, suck it up and do 300% and work from 6am until 2am every day until Christmas.

Once you secured your job or found another one, start on that side business.

Otherwise get fired and stand in unemployment, or create that business. Whichever you choose ( 300% to your job or starting a business ), you are gonna have to start getting up at 6am and going to bed at 2am to get it working. Not time for sorry shit.

Edit: Wanted to point out that getting up early and staying late is not the focus, but doing work nonstop that is productive in that time for only your job or business is.

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013

4x4ord

It's all about freedom
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
208%
Sep 28, 2015
It's crazy how much your first post resonates with me! I'm 35, have worked in engineering, management, sales, contracts, etc. Now I'm in a "business development" role in an engineering firm, that for all intents and purposes should be a great job. But, it doesn't spark my interest at all.

For years I've thought an planned, bought domain names, made sketches, talked to friends about businesses or product ideas, read every business and motivation book under the sun but every time I looked at the mountain of work that it took to get to that big beautiful, awesome, freeing idea, somehow it got overwhelming and managed to slip on life's priority list until it disappeared and I was right back to plugging through the slow lane career.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, because I haven't "made it" to the fast lane. But I've come MUCH farther towards the fast lane than I ever had, and I couldn't be more excited. Just take one small step at a time, and do something toward your goal every single day. It doesn't matter how small the step or task is, it is something. The first idea you work towards doesn't have to change the world. It just has to be something that causes you to learn how to walk toward the fast lane. Your mind is conditioned to follow the slow lane, it's how we are raised. Everything in our sub conscious wants us to continue on the easy path. This makes it soo easy to get excited about changing our life, then get overwhelmed by the perceived work it takes to get there.

Take one small step at a time. Hell, that step doesn't even have to be in the right direction as long as you are doing something. If it's the wrong step, you'll learn. The key is to do something every single day, no matter how small.

Another mental trick that I use, is to use the distaste for the 9-5 to motivate me toward my goal. Every little step I take, is one step away from the daily unhappiness and one step toward freedom. Every time your mind goes in to bitch mode about your job, use that as a key to trigger thought about what your next little step is going to be. It's a strange feeling to use disdain as motivation, but it works for me.

I wish you the best of luck! Don't get overwhelmed looking at the top of the mountain. Get your head down and take one step at a time.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Memo from the boss: our company doesn't care about Christmas if you're not going to be on our payroll at New Year's.

It's cleaner for our accounting purposes if we terminate you before the end of the year. You are just a statistic and employee number on a spreadsheet.

Thanx! -Management

Jata

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 21, 2015
Hello mate,

I can't offer you much in the way of advice as I feel like I'm in much the same position. What I can do is tell you that I had a shit day today too. I don't know why. Nothing particularly bad happened but for whatever reason I simply couldn't focus. I made endless cups of tea and coffee hoping the caffeine kick would spur me into action. It didn't work. So now I'm home and reading this forum.

What I would say is that it's ok to feel like shit. Don't beat yourself up about it and start thinking you shouldn't feel that way. Sometimes you just do. The main thing is not to give up and do something to improve your situation. Find something small you can do this evening to give yourself a little lift. Any sort of progress.

My plan for this evening is to read some more of this thread:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/the-astonishing-secrets-thread.50097/

It's totally inspiring. Ok it's not 'taking action' but it's better than moping. Do the best you can do today. After that I'm going to start learning copywriting from The Boron Letters. My point being (I think I have one somewhere) don't give up.

P.S. I'm in Wales and the weather is crap here too. Dingy and drizzly. I hope this ramble helps in some way. You're not alone fella :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
Thanks for the reply...

Once you secured your job or found another one, start on that side business.
Been trying to figure out the side business for many, many years to no avail.

You need to NOT be getting depressed at this point and feeling sorry for yourself.
Unfortunately, this is the route I usually choose. Can't seem to snap out of it when it gets me. Thinking about it, I'm exhausted with the constant up and down cycle.

Thanks for your links BTW. I read them before and they did help at the time, so I'll look over them again.

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
It's crazy how much your first post resonates with me! I'm 35, have worked in engineering, management, sales, contracts, etc. Now I'm in a "business development" role in an engineering firm, that for all intents and purposes should be a great job.
Ha, ironically, that's the exact role I just missed out on. I'm certain it would only have given me temporary relief though. Still wouldn't be free.

For years I've thought an planned, bought domain names, make sketches, talked to friends about businesses or product ideas, read every business and motivation book under the sun but every time I looked at the mountain of work that it took to get to that big beautiful, awesome, freeing idea, somehow it got overwhelming and managed to slip on life's priority list until it disappeared and I was right back to plugging through the slow lane career.

Same here!

I wish you the best of luck! Don't get overwhelmed looking at the top of the mountain. Get your head down and take one step at a time.

Thanks for the solid advice. I'll keep this in mind...

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
What I can do is tell you that I had a shit day today too. I don't know why. Nothing particularly bad happened but for whatever reason I simply couldn't focus. I made endless cups of tea and coffee hoping the caffeine kick would spur me into action. It didn't work.

This sounds all to familiar. All too often there doesn't seem to be a logical reason. I'm the same with the tea and coffee, though it's become as much a reason to avoid things as it is for the caffeine.

What I would say is that it's ok to feel like shit. Don't beat yourself up about it and start thinking you shouldn't feel that way. Sometimes you just do.

Yeah, true...

P.S. I'm in Wales and the weather is crap here too. Dingy and drizzly. I hope this ramble helps in some way. You're not alone fella :)

The weather is awful. Dark and wet, all the time. It really affects the mood.

Thanks for the support. Reassuring that I'm not the only one....

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
One day this will make sense...

I don’t want to put up with authority, and the cubicle life, I never have! I always thought to myself, it’s ok, I’ll be my own boss and free by the time I’m 30 so I never focused on anything.

You appear to be getting what you wanted, did you not?

An amazing thing will start to happen in your life when you begin on focusing all of your attention on what you do want instead of what you don't want.

What EXACTLY do you want?

It starts there....now run towards it at all costs

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnage

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Sep 4, 2015
Good intro.
You have a talent for turning rants into organized stories!

I have a feeling you are getting paid a comfortable amount...i think that if you were not paid a lot, on top of hating your Job, you would go all out and try to do something on your own.
A high paying job can help build capital...but it can also chain your to your comfy desk chair.

WarWizard

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Sep 22, 2014
Maitland, Australia
Hi @Five Star , There are times these sort of things happen in life. I've had it happen and have stumbled through it and made it through.
I'm still in a job, but slowly (too slowly for my liking, but nonetheless) doing things to move forward.
One of the resources that has helped me is @eliquid 's blog posts that he has posted above.
I've got them printed, and every time I slip, I read it again and work on getting back on track.

If you suspect you have ADD/ADHD like I think I do, a couple of books that have given me useful strategies to manage some of it are (no affiliate links) -> http://www.davincimethod.com/ & http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307743152/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20 & some of the podcasts here are fantastic as well -> http://www.workingwithadhd.com/

As for business, I've spent 1000's of dollars on many courses and things, and its not that some of them were not awesome courses, but I kept getting distracted as I approached it from a fear based, desperate and scarcity minded mindset. It has taken me a long time to work on this, and it may well be a work in process for a long time to come. But if you are looking to start an information or product or even a service based business, the simplest formula is presented in Russell Brunson's book DotCom Secrets. You can buy it on Amazon Kindle, but I would buy it from his site (especially if he still has the free videos from the seminar that formed the basis for the book, as part of the purchase) - (again, not a affiliate link) -> https://dotcomsecretsbook.com (you won't need any of the upsell to start things off). I've got a couple of hard copies and a Kindle version of this book to read and re-read till I'm fully immersed in it and am implementing it slowly to practise and become proficient at the process. I know that finally sticking to one thing and getting proficient at it will give the dividents and I'm willing to wait and keep working till I get that result.

It's even harder when there are ADHD tendencies to deal with, but I will make it happen. I also know that if you find your what, and then your why, you will eventually find your how and will make it happen.

It has a step by step approach to building a business, that I'm taking one step at a time, one day at a time.

Hope some of it helps you. It can be difficult with ADD/ADHD tendencies as there is the on and off depression and other things that we have to deal with as well, but people who have gone before us (Henry Ford, Richard Branson, among others - http://www.everydaywithadhd.com.au/user-assets/Info_Sheets/Famous_Men_with_ADHD.pdf ) have done it and we can do it too. Two other resources that have helped me in so far in the process are http://www.thedisorganizedmind.com/adhdquestions/ & http://www.thedisorganizedmind.com/adhdselfcoaching/goals-abilities-worksheet

This also may help you, as it slowly is helping me (as depression is part of the ADD/ADHD package) -> http://www.malandarras.com/depression-1, http://www.malandarras.com/depression-2, http://www.malandarras.com/depression-3, http://www.malandarras.com/finding-inspiration & http://www.malandarras.com/personalmanifesto

Some action taking wisdom -> http://www.malandarras.com/one & http://sourcesofinsight.com/finding-your-process/

Take care of yourself first.

All the very best. Its hard when you can only see darkness around you, but don't give up.

PS: Mods, if any links are inappropriate, please take them down. None of them are affiliate links, nor do I have any direct relationship/friendship with anyone whose blogs have been linked to. I've only put links in as I have benefited from them and believe @Five Star would benefit from them too. Thanks.

Last edited:

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
One day this will make sense...
It already does. I know what I should choose, but I seem to lack the willpower.

You appear to be getting what you wanted, did you not?
Not quite. I failed to mention the prerequisite for these things was financial freedom....

What EXACTLY do you want?
I wan't financial freedom. Other than that, I'm unsure....

An amazing thing will start to happen in your life when you begin on focusing all of your attention on what you do want instead of what you don't want.

Something I need to work on...

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
You have a talent for turning rants into organized stories!
I'll take that as a compliment....thanks!

I have a feeling you are getting paid a comfortable amount...i think that if you were not paid a lot, on top of hating your Job, you would go all out and try to do something on your own.
Let's see....

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
Hi @Five Star , There are times these sort of things happen in life. I've had it happen and have stumbled through it and made it through.
I'm still in a job, but slowly (too slowly for my liking, but nonetheless) doing things to move forward.
One of the resources that has helped me is @eliquid 's blog posts that he has posted above.
I've got them printed, and every time I slip, I read it again and work on getting back on track.

If you suspect you have ADD/ADHD like I think I do, a couple of books that have given me useful strategies to manage some of it are (no affiliate links) -> http://www.davincimethod.com/ & http://www.amazon.com/dp/0307743152/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20 & some of the podcasts here are fantastic as well -> http://www.workingwithadhd.com/

As for business, I've spent 1000's of dollars on many courses and things, and its not that some of them were not awesome courses, but I kept getting distracted as I approached it from a fear based, desperate and scarcity minded mindset. It has taken me a long time to work on this, and it may well be a work in process for a long time to come. But if you are looking to start an information or product or even a service based business, the simplest formula is presented in Russell Brunson's book DotCom Secrets. You can buy it on Amazon Kindle, but I would buy it from his site (especially if he still has the free videos from the seminar that formed the basis for the book, as part of the purchase) - (again, not a affiliate link) -> https://dotcomsecretsbook.com (you won't need any of the upsell to start things off). I've got a couple of hard copies and a Kindle version of this book to read and re-read till I'm fully immersed in it and am implementing it slowly to practise and become proficient at the process. I know that finally sticking to one thing and getting proficient at it will give the dividents and I'm willing to wait and keep working till I get that result.

It's even harder when there are ADHD tendencies to deal with, but I will make it happen. I also know that if you find your what, and then your why, you will eventually find your how and will make it happen.

It has a step by step approach to building a business, that I'm taking one step at a time, one day at a time.

Hope some of it helps you. It can be difficult with ADD/ADHD tendencies as there is the on and off depression and other things that we have to deal with as well, but people who have gone before us (Henry Ford, Richard Branson, among others - http://www.everydaywithadhd.com.au/user-assets/Info_Sheets/Famous_Men_with_ADHD.pdf ) have done it and we can do it too. Two other resources that have helped me in so far in the process are http://www.thedisorganizedmind.com/adhdquestions/ & http://www.thedisorganizedmind.com/adhdselfcoaching/goals-abilities-worksheet

This also may help you, as it slowly is helping me (as depression is part of the ADD/ADHD package) -> http://www.malandarras.com/depression-1, http://www.malandarras.com/depression-2, http://www.malandarras.com/depression-3, http://www.malandarras.com/finding-inspiration & http://www.malandarras.com/personalmanifesto

Some action taking wisdom -> http://www.malandarras.com/one & http://sourcesofinsight.com/finding-your-process/

Take care of yourself first.

All the very best. Its hard when you can only see darkness around you, but don't give up.

PS: Mods, if any links are inappropriate, please take them down. None of them are affiliate links, nor do I have any direct relationship/friendship with anyone whose blogs have been linked to. I've only put links in as I have benefited from them and believe @Five Star would benefit from them too. Thanks.

Thank you for writing such a detailed post, and for spending the time inserting all the links. I will work my way through them, in the coming days and weeks. I've already ordered the book you mentioned to learn more about ADHD.

I appreciate the support and the positive words....

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Well.....that's it. Officially unemployed.

Reminder to those of you reading this thread.

When the OP started this thread 90 days ago, he was YOU. Working for a paycheck. Wondering if they were going to can him. Needing the job. 90 days ago... he was YOU. Today, he's out of a job.

Companies are entities, and hide behind human resources. They have no soul.

They don't care that :
  • you sacrifice for them
  • you did what you were supposed to
  • you did what you were told to do
They don't care that :
  • it's Christmastime
  • You have a wife and kids to feed
  • you need the income
They don't care :
  • how long you have worked there
  • what you did 6 months ago to help the company
  • what ideas you have to improve the company
  • about your degree
Let this be a precautionary story for you, at the expense of the original poster. Does your wife think that employment equals job security? Does your husband think that your income is stable? Do YOU think that if you work hard, that will somehow make you un-fireable?

My heart goes out to the OP. My hope is this is the start of a great new chapter for you.

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)

I am sorry to hear that. I have been unemployed from Oct 2013 to Feb 2014, after working 10+ years on high-level high-tech projects for my former company.
There isn't really much to say, other than what my wife told me when I phoned her to tell her that I had been laid off: "Their loss."

In a way, being laid off was a blessing in disguise. I am not doing very well financially, but it forced myself to be open to new experiences and new worlds.
Hang in there, trust me (*).

(*) as a matter of fact, the dude that laid me off was the dude that refused to shake my hand when I wanted to say goodbye to him. He got fired. Karma is a bitch.

Late Start

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Nov 23, 2015
Uniontown, KS

Keep your chin up, man. Cliched, I know, but this is genuinely an opportunity for you. I've had my own traumatic experience with unemployment (see my Intro thread), and honestly the experience, while incredibly painful, was also refining in hindsight. Form a doable gameplan and get started. As I have started to dip my toes into this Fastlane universe, one of the first resources I have gravitated towards is Pat Flynn. His story begins with losing his job. Emphasis on begins.

Fendaril

Contributor
Sep 7, 2015
Today I also found out I didn’t get a job that I had a second interview for. It was my get out, and I’d pinned my hopes on it. It was going back to Sales, with a better salary, and it would’ve been much better experience going forward.

NOT a good day.

From someone who has made $0 and has no job, don't go back to work for another sales company.

Find a product or service that pays residual income and cold call business owners.

Seems like the default option for us hopeless people with nothing going for them.

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
Hey @Vigilante, I agree with all you said above.

The frustrating thing is, I understood this a long time ago but was unable to get any passive/extra income streams set up while I was employed.

My heart goes out to the OP. My hope is this is the start of a great new chapter for you.
Thanks. I really, really hope so too.

Now I have some free time on my hands, let me know if I can help you with anything.

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
I am sorry to hear that. I have been unemployed from Oct 2013 to Feb 2014, after working 10+ years on high-level high-tech projects for my former company.
There isn't really much to say, other than what my wife told me when I phoned her to tell her that I had been laid off: "Their loss."

In a way, being laid off was a blessing in disguise. I am not doing very well financially, but it forced myself to be open to new experiences and new worlds.
Hang in there, trust me (*).

(*) as a matter of fact, the dude that laid me off was the dude that refused to shake my hand when I wanted to say goodbye to him. He got fired. Karma is a bitch.

Cheers. Glad that you were able to turn the experience into something positive. I'll do my best to do the same, tough it's a bit tough right now!

I hope the finances start getting better for you...

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
As I have started to dip my toes into this Fastlane universe, one of the first resources I have gravitated towards is Pat Flynn. His story begins with losing his job. Emphasis on begins.
I've been on his site a long time ago. I'll be sure to check it out a bit more and read his story. Thanks.

I read your intro. Sounds like you've had a bad run indeed when it comes to employment. Keep us posted on your Fastlane progress.

Last edited:

WarWizard

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Sep 22, 2014
Maitland, Australia