The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My new boss just extended my probationary period!

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
May 29, 2013
Reminder to those of you reading this thread.

When the OP started this thread 90 days ago, he was YOU. Working for a paycheck. Wondering if they were going to can him. Needing the job. 90 days ago... he was YOU. Today, he's out of a job.

Companies are entities, and hide behind human resources. They have no soul.

They don't care that :
  • you sacrifice for them
  • you did what you were supposed to
  • you did what you were told to do
They don't care that :
  • it's Christmastime
  • You have a wife and kids to feed
  • you need the income
They don't care :
  • how long you have worked there
  • what you did 6 months ago to help the company
  • what ideas you have to improve the company
  • about your degree
Let this be a precautionary story for you, at the expense of the original poster. Does your wife think that employment equals job security? Does your husband think that your income is stable? Do YOU think that if you work hard, that will somehow make you un-fireable?

My heart goes out to the OP. My hope is this is the start of a great new chapter for you.

I truly hope you dont sue me @Vigilante , but im gonna use this all over the place

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
Thanks. I really, really hope so too.
Although nobody is really in control of their jobs, you know who's in control of their lives, right? You, buddy. Good luck to you. Don't leave it to hope, make it happen.

As most have mentioned, losing a job is usually a blessing in disguise, a wake up call. I think you'll do fine. :tiphat:

Torty Emmanuel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Feb 10, 2016
Lagos, Nigeria
Well.....that's it. Officially unemployed.

@Five Star REPEATED ACTION (not a single action/ event) is what it takes to become a true Fastlaner.

Action will always beat Emotion!

Reading is good but there's a catch. The human brain loves comfort so much that it can manufacture amazing collection of excuses to keep you in your comfort zone even at your own peril. I know this because I read lots of books and still do.
But I beat my brain to it by writing down my ACTION goals/ targets for any book before I even start searching for the books either online or offline.

Some of the things I've DONE after reading TMF :

• Completed my game development tutorial- working on mastery by creating like 2 or 3 mini games this month.
  • Picked up and learnt a new programming language for use on my next web app projects later this year.
  • Still working on my copywriting skills.

It's easy to imagine the Fastlane kind of life, get so engrossed in the vision of the end, and forget to take the SERIES of ACTIONS it demands of you. Reality is that at the beginning of your journey to the Fastlane, it will mostly suck. Many things you will do to get some cash for your fastlane business may NOT exactly obey the TMF CENTS/CENTS command. That's why it's called hustle. It's a journey and an opportunity to exercise your ability to innovate and create along the way.

My advice is to avoid excessive reading without taking action steps. Take action everyday towards your goal(s) and I guarantee you will feel better each time you look back to see your achievements (regardless of its size). ;)

dream+is+free+but+the+hustle+is+sold+separately.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
@Five Star , How are you going? Hope you've been able to start moving towards a better place financially and entrepreneurially.
Hey @WarWizard , thanks for asking! Things are going great, I've never been happier actually.

I'm a stay at home Dad now Copywriting on Upwork, and building momentum. I'm feeling more motivated than I ever did working for anyone else. Also, I'm learning so much working with clients that it's inspiring and helping build confidence in the belief I can do something great.

My advice is to avoid excessive reading without taking action steps.

Thanks for this also. Actually, since starting on Upwork, I've cut back on reading a lot! Mainly due to the fact that I'm using any spare moment to work on Copywriting. I've been much more focused, and haven't even been on the forum here that much :eek:

Don't get me wrong, while all this is great:

- I'm far from being financially free
- I'm still trading time for money
- Doubt does creep in now and again
- I wouldn't class myself as an 'Entrepreneur' yet

However:

- I'm happier and more content
- I'm spending much more time with my family
- Life is much more flexible
- I feel like I'm growing and developing more
- No more Monday morning blues
- I don't have a boss :rockon:

That being said.....

Just as I'm getting more comfortable with my situation, guess what? I got offered a J-O-B! A really good one.

No, I'm not looking, but it's from an interview I had back in November and one that I really wanted at the time. It's in Sales, and well paid.

Although my gut instinct is to turn it down, and focus on continuing what I'm doing and start working on a few ideas, there is the temptation to creep back into it. You know the thoughts 'everyone will think I'm crazy if I turn down this great opportunity', 'society says I should take it', 'I might not get another opportunity like it', 'I need to do it for my family, I have responsibilities'.....etc.

It would involve forfeiting summer with my family, and a few other complications not worth going into. Though I'm thinking it would help financially, and I can still work on my Freelancing in the evenings.

In reality though, after working a full day, and coming home to spend time with family and do some chores it would be easy to not have the energy to work in the evenings.

Right now, it feels great listening to people on the radio getting so exciting that it's a Friday afternoon and they have 2 days of freedom coming up! I feel sorry for friends and family who on a Sunday evening put everything on hold while they iron their work shirts for the morning, and start feeling down. I'm so glad I don't have to waste time commuting in traffic. All of this......I don't miss one iota!

Anyway, unlike my Copywriting style, this is all about ME! Not good, lol, though it does feel good to have a little rant and get some stuff off my chest to a community full of Fastlane believers!

How about YOU? What's going on in YOUR world?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Hey @WarWizard , thanks for asking! Things are going great, I've never been happier actually.

I'm a stay at home Dad now Copywriting on Upwork, and building momentum. I'm feeling more motivated than I ever did working for anyone else. Also, I'm learning so much working with clients that it's inspiring and helping build confidence in the belief I can do something great.

Thanks for this also. Actually, since starting on Upwork, I've cut back on reading a lot! Mainly due to the fact that I'm using any spare moment to work on Copywriting. I've been much more focused, and haven't even been on the forum here that much :eek:

However:

That being said.....

Just as I'm getting more comfortable with my situation, guess what? I got offered a J-O-B! A really good one.

No, I'm not looking, but it's from an interview I had back in November and one that I really wanted at the time. It's in Sales, and well paid.

Although my gut instinct is to turn it down, and focus on continuing what I'm doing and start working on a few ideas, there is the temptation to creep back into it. You know the thoughts 'everyone will think I'm crazy if I turn down this great opportunity', 'society says I should take it', 'I might not get another opportunity like it', 'I need to do it for my family, I have responsibilities'.....etc.

It would involve forfeiting summer with my family, and a few other complications not worth going into. Though I'm thinking it would help financially, and I can still work on my Freelancing in the evenings.

In reality though, after working a full day, and coming home to spend time with family and do some chores it would be easy to not have the energy to work in the evenings.

Right now, it feels great listening to people on the radio getting so exciting that it's a Friday afternoon and they have 2 days of freedom coming up! I feel sorry for friends and family who on a Sunday evening put everything on hold while they iron their work shirts for the morning, and start feeling down. I'm so glad I don't have to waste time commuting in traffic. All of this......I don't miss one iota!

Anyway, unlike my Copywriting style, this is all about ME! Not good, lol, though it does feel good to have a little rant and get some stuff off my chest to a community full of Fastlane believers!

Go back and read this guy's OP, and then read this latest post again. The freedom and joy in his transformation is exciting.

Regardless if you take the job for now... you have had a taste of what true freedom feels like and it gives you a clear vision as to what financial freedom will be like for you when you finally get there. Good luck on your decision... I am sure it is not easy.

RunWithIt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Jan 23, 2016
Canada
Hey @Five Star

[U][B]
Don't get me wrong, while all this is great:[/B][/U]

[U][B]However:[/B][/U]

[U]
[B]That being said.....[/B][/U]

Just as I'm getting more comfortable with my situation, guess what? I got offered a J-O-B! [I]A really good one.[/I]

Way to go @Five Star I am glad things are working out for you!!

Don't take the job if you don't need to, You are already copywriting and doing good things for yourself. Take it to the next level, Take on more work, outsource, Don't fall back into the 9-5 TRAP you will be miserable.

carlolacson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Mar 17, 2014
Quezon City, Philippines
As most have mentioned, losing a job is usually a blessing in disguise, a wake up call. I think you'll do fine. :tiphat:

Indeed. I'm also on a probationary period. the office politics and crab mentality of my co-workers is so frustrating but yeah, F*ck WHAT OTHERS THINK.

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
Go back and read this guy's OP, and then read this latest post again. The freedom and joy in his transformation is exciting.

Regardless if you take the job for now... you have had a taste of what true freedom feels like and it gives you a clear vision as to what financial freedom will be like for you when you finally get there. Good luck on your decision... I am sure it is not easy.

Thanks for the positive comments, it means a lot.

Yes, I've definitely had a small taste, though have a bit of figuring out what to do right now.

I do realise that copywriting on Upwork is not Fastlane, so that's also a factor as I need to figure where to go with it or what it can lead to.

Thanks. Yes, it's definitely an option and something I need to figure out.

I know, I know about the 9-5 TRAP, tell me about it. I wish it were that straight forward though!

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thanks for the positive comments, it means a lot.

Yes, I've definitely had a small taste, though have a bit of figuring out what to do right now.

I do realise that copywriting on Upwork is not Fastlane, so that's also a factor as I need to figure where to go with it or what it can lead to.

Thanks. Yes, it's definitely an option and something I need to figure out.

I know, I know about the 9-5 TRAP, tell me about it. I wish it were that straight forward though!
If I were you, I'd stick with the freelancing gig on Upwork. I started doing freelancing, and am now about 1/2 way through converting my business into an actual fastlane company. (I do programming). I haven't actually coded anything for a few weeks now. (I started outsourcing the work in about October). The best thing about actively working on converting Freelancing to a real Business is the mindset it brings with it. I think much differently than I would if I still had a job and did this on this side.

M Power

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Nov 3, 2015
Illinois
Let me start by saying, I’ve read the book. I just started re-reading it again last week. I’ve never read a book twice in my life……….ever!

I’m very familiar with the forum, but have never posted an Intro and I feel this is as good a time as any.

The title of this thread, although it wasn’t intended to be, is really like an analogy of my career path and entrepreneurial dreams. I’ve left it up to the mercy of others, and even with what should be renewed inspiration, I’m struggling to stay afloat with the discomfort and uncertainty just been drawn out and strung along.

Let me just say it, I’m a WANTREPRENEUR….

A little about me………I have an Engineering degree, I always ‘got through’ academically with school reports letting my parents know that I ‘had the ability’ but needed to apply myself. I’ve had more careers that I care to remember, sales, kitchen design, property, engineering, recruitment, ‘business development’ (fancy title for a sales job) and more. My CV is pretty interesting, though probably not to a serious employer. I’ve lived in the USA and London, and have travelled, enough to get it out of my system for now. I partied a lot on the way.

While I was living away and travelling, people back home were progressing in their careers. Now I’m behind and it’s frustrating. Not that frustrating though, because really, I don’t want to be where they are. I want to be free! I don’t want to put up with authority, and the cubicle life, I never have! I always thought to myself, it’s ok, I’ll be my own boss and free by the time I’m 30 so I never focused on anything. Hello, I’m 37 soon!

Somehow I managed to stay in my last job over 3 years (record!), even with a long commute and now I’ve stepped up to a Senior level in a new company. This brings me to today. Honestly, I’m struggling in this role, and unfortunately I don’t seem to care. I know that if I get fired, it will add extra stress at home, but I seem to want to self sabotage. It’s almost like I want to confirm my expectations, that I’m not good enough. While others around me in the team are getting engrossed in solving some technical issue, I get bored, drifting into my own world. Time is spent on the web, reading forums, googling ‘entrepreneur’, and following links to stories of successful billionaires which is really quite disheartening.

I’ve been building my library of books, the TMF , The Millionaire Next Door, The 4 HWW, How to Win Friends and Influence People, The 7 Habits of Highly Successful People, Autobiographies, all the usual. Do I feel motivated each time I turn the page? Yep! Have I done anything about it? Nope! I just waken up every day and go through the motions, commute, have a non-productive day, come home, complain, eat, spend time with family, do the chores and when I finally have time to do something which is around 10pm, I’m done! Exhausted…….it’s TV, I-pad, or bed.

I’ve spent my fair share of time on YouTube with Tony Robbins, Zig Ziglar and anyone else who claims to have the ability to turn my life around! Does it work? Nope!

I get it, you gotta put in the work, you gotta grind, you gotta hustle, you gotta network, you gotta speak positive, use the right vocabulary, visualize. Let’s face it, its common sense really! Do I do it? NO, NO and NO! Why not?? I can’t answer that! Does it hurt bad enough? Well obviously it mustn’t, but it bloomin’ well feels like it does….bigtime! Every day I get so frustrated! Sitting at my desk, it feels like a ball and chain has me shackled to this rather comfortable office chair. I feel like I’m going to implode! I can’t stare at the screen anymore, and clock in and clock out and explain my every movement…..argggghhhhh!!

I guess it was the news today about my probationary period that prompted me to put this intro out there. That and the reminder I received last week from GoDaddy to say that the domain name I registered for my multinational venture automatically renewed. WHAT?#! You mean it’s been 1 year already? Nooooo waaaaaay! Let me check my account……oh yeah, there’s 6 or 7 domains in here. I forgot about those after 4 years. Ah, the memories and the ideas. Off course, I happened to find the remainder of my ebay stock that I bought from Alibaba last year at the bottom of the cupboard just the other day too. Then there’s the Amazon reminders, to rate the ‘Miracle Morning’ that I bought about this time last year. I haven’t quite got around to setting my alarm clock an hour earlier yet. Whoooops, I blame the sleepness nights…

I also recently found my notepad with all those ideas that James Altucher told me I should jot down everyday. The heated toilet seat, the see through toaster….a few crazier ones. Let me think about those. Yep, already been done, no sense pursuing that one! Probably no one would be interested in that one. Oh, and this one, nah, it’ll never work. Wait a minute, you mean you want me to research, build a prototype, test the market, raise money, raise awareness, go to a trade show, network…….HOLD THE PHONE! Little old me?? I’m not smart enough, I’m not confident enough, I don’t have a clue what I’m doing. Nah, I don’t think so. That’s only for the rich and famous! Elon Musk will sort that one. Besides, I gotta make a cup of tea first……

Honesty, who decided that 2 days of freedom for 5 days of work was a good trade? Don’t you people know I have a life to live, things to do, experiences to have, pictures to take……memories to be made!

I’m so STUCK! I hate it! It’s making me miserable, but I don’t know where to turn! Time is slipping away and running out on me, on us all for that matter! Confidence and self belief are big problems….along with so many other things.

I get pumped up, then quickly deflated and disillusioned. I believe in an idea, and that I can really do it this time, but then it fades. My mind jumps from one thing to another every hour of every day. Last week it was a book, a product, Upwork, copywriting, ebay, purchase an apartment block….

The thing is, I’m ‘just ok’ at most things, and not special at any. Jack of all trades and master of none as we say. I’m fairly average at everything, and can’t seem to focus on anything for longer than 5 minutes.

There’s more to life, and I’m going nowhere fast! It’s really, really getting me down in a BIG way. I’m not even sure what I expect to achieve with this intro, but I just need to get it off my chest, and I figured this is the place. Family and friends just don’t get it……
Wow. I'm 19 and 3/4 of what you just wrote applies to me, nothing besides losing a loved one is as bad as the feeling of being stuck. Torturous. For me that's what i use to push myself to execute, I sure as hell don't want to after 11 hours of school and work but my future self would beat my a$$ if I didn't.

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
If I were you, I'd stick with the freelancing gig on Upwork. I started doing freelancing, and am now about 1/2 way through converting my business into an actual fastlane company. (I do programming). I haven't actually coded anything for a few weeks now. (I started outsourcing the work in about October). The best thing about actively working on converting Freelancing to a real Business is the mindset it brings with it. I think much differently than I would if I still had a job and did this on this side.

Nice work, sounds like you're making great progress. How long were you Freelancing for before outsourcing in October? It's something I'd thought about previously, so you've inspired me to do a little more research.

I'm sure you're right about the mindset. I have a feeling that even with the best of intentions, planning to grow this into something bigger would definitely take a step back if I were to return to full time employment.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Nice work, sounds like you're making great progress. How long were you Freelancing for before outsourcing in October? It's something I'd thought about previously, so you've inspired me to do a little more research.

I'm sure you're right about the mindset. I have a feeling that even with the best of intentions, planning to grow this into something bigger would definitely take a step back if I were to return to full time employment.
I've done programming on the side for many years. Went full-time Mar 1, 2014.

WarWizard

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Sep 22, 2014
Maitland, Australia

However:

That being said.....

Great news @Five Star .

I've moved jobs to one that is more suited to my strengths and will help in my entrepreneurial pursuits that I'm working on early in the morning and late in the evening.

One step at a time. :)

Great to see how your life has transformed.

Keep building momentum, it is the most important thing in life.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...