The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Journey To Freedom - Online boardgame business

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

otaku_ch

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 9, 2021
Hello all,

After reading some interesting journeys, I consider starting a thread and chronicle my journey to freedom. I can see this thread as an excellent way as and interesting form of accountability for my progress.

I want to feature in this thread: my ongoing process -updates on progress and the mistakes learned, insights gained.

My current project is to start an online startup business that sells tabletop and card games. The reason is that I have been playing board games & card games since my childhood and If I can create a business that doesn't feel like "work" and I can get "freedom", so why not.

First steps

My first task was to find the first game that I can create easily and don't require a massive investment. A good start was to lookup on crowdfunding sites such as Kickstarter or Indiegogo which projects have the best traction. After my research, I came to realize that card games have a lot of traction especially Tarot card games decks.

The next step was finding a reliable illustrator on a freelancer website such as Freelance for the kind of drawing I was looking for. Then, I had to look up reliable and affordable Printing companies either Europe or China-based.

I have to say that I start by creating two tarots decks Kickstarter campaigns which I soon closed due to the fact I didn't clear the copyright issues. I had the "bad" idea to get inspiration from already drawn illustrations. So for the last campaign, I decided to go for a 100% idea so I don't have to deal with copyrights problems.

As for now, I launched the project on Kickstarter on August 6th and I'm currently with
$ 1 776 on the targeted $ 7'000.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Love the idea -- marketing will be your challenge as there is a lot of competition out there. You have any ideas on how to get your game out there, and people talking about it?

As for now, I launched the project on Kickstarter on August 6th and I'm currently with

Feel free to post the campaign, perhaps we can draw you some backers.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Following this thread. A gaming company has always been on my list of companies to start. I've had several discussions with friends and looked at various models/types etc. Looking forward to your updates.

otaku_ch

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 9, 2021
Love the idea -- marketing will be your challenge as there is a lot of competition out there. You have any ideas on how to get your game out there, and people talking about it?

Feel free to post the campaign, perhaps we can draw you some backers.

Hello,

with pleasure, you can find the link here: The Tumbaga Tarot | Cultural Spiritic Heritage

As for the marketing, I asked the help from a freelance marketing agency.

otaku_ch

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 9, 2021
Update on August 12th

The current Kickstarter campaign is currently at a stall...My suppositions are the fact that I'm currently only the "digital version" of the deck and I can get more traction if they can see a "physical" product. I read several blog articles on the fact to cancel or not an ongoing Kickstarter campaign.

I came across this.

A backer told me that they would rather see a previous campaign canceled than failed on a creator’s bio because it would mean the creator ended on their own terms rather than limping to defeat. That they took ownership of the situation was reassuring, he said. This was interesting to hear, as I’d suspected seeing it through to the end might be seen as a gauge of the creator’s steely commitment to something they believe in (“never give up, never surrender!!”). But your advice and this backer’s comment are ringing true to me. I’m coming to terms with how this can be a stepping stone to an improved campaign with a greater chance of success, rather than taking it as just a crushing defeat.

Now, I am thinking to ask the backers what can be done better for the next campaign.

otaku_ch

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 9, 2021
Update on August 16th

I decided to post an update on my Kickstarting which says the following.

Hi All,

Seems like that our Tarot deck may not happen as the funding seems to have stalled. If you've any feedback, comment, or suggestion, please feel free to comment here or even reach out to me via PM.

We will also appreciate it if you can share the news about this deck with your friends and on social media channels.

I need to go back to the drawing board and rethink the project that could be a market fit, repackage my offer or simply show the final product.

Last edited:

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Hope your retooling goes well, I think a 2k 1st attempt shows you got something that can be accomplished. I lived in Colombia for two years and once visited Nabusimake, have you heard out that indigenous village? Will never forget that experience, like going back in time.

otaku_ch

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 9, 2021
Hope your retooling goes well, I think a 2k 1st attempt shows you got something that can be accomplished. I lived in Colombia for two years and once visited Nabusimake, have you heard out that indigenous village? Will never forget that experience, like going back in time.

Hello,

thanks for the comment and I think also that I got something. In the meantime, I joined a Kickstarter facebook and in there, I found the link: The Ultimate Kickstarter Guide – Launch Your Tarot Or Oracle Deck which help me for the reboot of the campaign.

I went to Colombia in 2018 before all this mess and I really so much enjoyed it. Even, I thought to open Eco-Finca near Medellin (another project on the side).

otaku_ch

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 9, 2021
So I set for myself the next milestones for the coming weeks.

1) Consolidate with the manufacturer & product
For the actual campaign, I sort out based in Italy. I choose them mostly due to eco & ethical reasons and also it may reduce shipping delays, especially in Europe. I don't have to deal with timezone differences if I want to contact them during the day.

Firstly, I considered proposing an high end version of the deck with that spec:
  • 2.75"Wx4.75" H (70x120mm)
  • Paper stock: 330 gsm Black Core
  • Printing (backs/faces): Full color / Full color
  • Metallic foil (backs/faces): Gold foil / Gold foil
  • Edge bordering: Gold Matt
  • Extra coating (backs/faces): Smooth Eco finish
  • Deck envelope: Paper

Then, I'm thinking offering the "tarot deck" alone is little "light".

2) Consider hiring a marketing agency

I consider the lack of traction come also due to the fact the marketing plan was not that rock solid. So, I'm currently looking a Kickstarter agency that can help with that. I must have the humility that I can't do everything myself and I have to invest. That will be my goal for this week.

otaku_ch

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 9, 2021
I came across the post of woken on the thread Clothing Brand Start-Up, First Business

Those arguments hit me home:

People don’t want top quality if it comes with an expensive price tag when you’re nobody.

I wanted to create a high-end without thinking about this point as well as this :

When you think again that you want to offer top quality, ask yourself if it makes sense in terms of business for you. And it works for them. Because they’ve created a culture. A lifestyle.

I need to create a true universe for my tarot and not only consider it as a "card game" like any other. I was too excited to present my game without thinking about how to make them "feel" the uniqueness of my game. That's why I'm thinking to offer more than a set Tarot game.

I will keep posted on my progress.

otaku_ch

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 9, 2021
Update on August 23rd

What is the news?

Illustrations - drawings

The design for the Tarot deck itself is now completed at 100%. The next step is the drawing for the box itself.

Printing & production

At first, I was thinking of printing the card in Italy, mostly to add ecological purpose for the project which means a lot to me.

Sadly, I can see this is not the primary concern for my backers. In that case, I decided to sort out a printer in China which will allow having greater marges than the one in Italy.

Also, I think myself that I can first produce a first version in China and for a second version that can be printed in Europe.

Marketing & promotion

While I'm waiting for the drawing to be finished and sorting out the printer, I'm currently lookup for influencers on social media which I can send the first sample of my tarot deck. Also, I continue to have a presence on Instagram and Facebook. I'm still looking for a Kickstarter marketing agency that goes in my budget for the pre-promotion campaign.

See you soon

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I thought this was about board games, not tarot cards. Did I miss something?

otaku_ch

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 9, 2021
I thought this was about board games, not tarot cards. Did I miss something?

My goal is to make to produce first a tarot deck (which is some kind of game) which allow me to start small.

otaku_ch

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 9, 2021
Update on September 2nd

Today, I confirm the printing for the prototype with a printer based in China. You can have a look below:

before print.PNG

This prototype will help to check the print quality as well for marketing purposes. Even, the Kickstarter is canceled, I'm regularly posting updates of the project and keep actual and future backers in the loop.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Hello all,

After reading some interesting journeys, I consider starting a thread and chronicle my journey to freedom. I can see this thread as an excellent way as and interesting form of accountability for my progress.

I want to feature in this thread: my ongoing process -updates on progress and the mistakes learned, insights gained.

My current project is to start an online startup business that sells tabletop and card games. The reason is that I have been playing board games & card games since my childhood and If I can create a business that doesn't feel like "work" and I can get "freedom", so why not.

First steps

My first task was to find the first game that I can create easily and don't require a massive investment. A good start was to lookup on crowdfunding sites such as Kickstarter or Indiegogo which projects have the best traction. After my research, I came to realize that card games have a lot of traction especially Tarot card games decks.

The next step was finding a reliable illustrator on a freelancer website such as Freelance for the kind of drawing I was looking for. Then, I had to look up reliable and affordable Printing companies either Europe or China-based.

I have to say that I start by creating two tarots decks Kickstarter campaigns which I soon closed due to the fact I didn't clear the copyright issues. I had the "bad" idea to get inspiration from already drawn illustrations. So for the last campaign, I decided to go for a 100% idea so I don't have to deal with copyrights problems.

I don't know if this will help, but I bought the book Collaborative World Building For Writers. These links come with the book.

otaku_ch

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 9, 2021
I don't know if this will help, but I bought the book Collaborative World Building For Writers. These links come with the book.

Thanks for the book recommandation.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

otaku_ch

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 9, 2021
Update on September 12th

What is the news? Finally, I received the printed ccollage.jpg

The next step is to create a new Kickstarter campaign and also contacting Tarot cards influencers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.