The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My failed poor executions

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
EDIT :

For my intro, goals and aim go to INTRO - Hello, I don't want to be a millionaire

It's important to note that I'm not complaining about failures, I'm not ranting and whining about failures I 'm trying to discuss them and learn from them. Nothing has yet brought me money so, I'm executing but not making a profit.

My lack of ability to gain and convert an online audience and no product I believe in is what I think is hampering me.

I've been searching the forums, for terms like "rural areas", "online only" and trying to find examples of people who were in a similar situation who have succeeded, as that might jog my brain a little. My initial market research leads me to people 'like' the idea, or often generates a better idea of more interest.

To prove that I'm not a money chaser, I'm trying again to promote Ubuntu ( I believe in it and it is free) By running the principles here and in copy, I can gain free experience for a non profit whom's product I really believe in. Once, I achieve my monetary goals that may well be the only thing I do. After all if all you care about is adding value, why charge?

more https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...my-journey-to-zero-dollars.83281/#post-705967 I don't want to show the copy to google, but will link to ADs if they go up elsewhere. I can always PM it to you. I sound like a late night infomercial on my copy.

It is important to note the following; the emphasis is mine but the words are @Late Bloomer who seems to get were I'm coming form and can explain it better than me. (Funnily, enough it is always Canadians (And Australians) who understand and 'get me' and Americans whom I have the misunderstandings with, never the other way around.)

Wolfie mentioned that he's in a tiny village, with a very low and widely scattered population, very inadequate public transit, and he doesn't drive. That's a lot different from Vancouver.

Lawn mowing depends on enough lawns within reach, and a way to get the mower there. Would the village let him take a lawn mower on the bus? Flipping stuff depends on enough local sellers and buyers within reach. He's limited to what he could carry in his arms to the transit stop, take with him and store at home.

Window washing depends on enough windows within reach. Perhaps the bus comes once a day and drops him off where there are five houses, a gas station, and a grocery store. How is that going to add up to a viable window washing business?

These sound like real external logistics showstoppers.
They are not internal psychological issues that could be solved with a pep talk for a better attitude.

He literally might not have large enough numbers to work with, unlike how many people are within an easy walk in Vancouver. So I think whatever he does, will probably have to be an online business rather than a local hustle.

I think he's not expecting anyone to do work for him. I get the impression that he's willing to work hard, and really literally does not know what he could offer, who he could offer it to, or how to reach them.

He's not expecting hand holding or babysitting. He's hoping for a conversation to work through different criteria and ideas, until he sees some things that possibly could work. As soon as he sees some ideas that look at all possible, I expect he'll quickly and energetically give them an honest try, learn and keep on moving forward. He is very eager to learn and to try something that might work, as soon as he can figure out what that might be.

/EDIT

Sorry if it is the wrong place. I wanted to show I had done something, even if I'm not making money.

I've taken two approaches , I've realised that the difficulty is most of them are disruption ideas. So the fact that I've got any traction at all despite limited resources deserves a pat on the back.

I need to figure out a flip or other way for a small income (2k month)then I can look at the non disruptive category.

Tried to get work building simple apps/software remotely (only get offers for free or commission, maybe in the future but that's not for me right now) can't compete on price on upwork etc.

Thought of SaaSifying existing business, target single retiring individual. Identified targets, approached individuals about no money down or earn outs (I do the work, you collect most of the profits, while I expand it) perhaps not most control, but gives a lot of experience and tuition in the area, it's almost like having an investor in your company. Nobody was intrested, they all want cash down because they are retiring. Okay fair enough, come across something called merchant advance, seems perfect for saas, pay as you grow. Not available in my country, ok fine. Available in US trailed it out with Free VOIP line (note in Wyoming you can form.an anon llc for a few thousand get mail handling and voip line and appear to be in the USA (plus pick a rural location people are less likely to want to. vist I guess.

Got intreseted both ways, but I can't get a US bank account as non resident alien so won't fund me taking over existing business. For those of you in the US this could be very powerful combined with a roll up, buy a bunch of similar things with this financing (each non recourse funded on the companies profits for buyers with no money down) then sell the whole rollup for $20 million.

Tried looking into a wealthfront for cross border currency commuters handling the problem of those who get currency in one income and expenses in another, did a few interviews found a need, but 3 people wasn't enough, and I wasn't able to get more.

Tried another one VAT handling for digital sellers this is a problem in Europe and there is a company here that handles it all but they haven't gotten far outside.

I did some research, found out there was some demand in Germany (is easy to handle b2b but not for b2c) so I learnt a little German, so I could find and ask Germans more questions. Couldn't get enough interest though. This is probably better executed by somebody in a German speaking area, I really like it though because the product is just putting two existing products together. I'm not sure if that violates control or not.

Noticed GPUs, were cheaper locally than on the US,(mining rigs have pushed the price up) did the resarch pretty easy to build rigs from the components, just linux) tried to get attention.

One potential distributor in US, looking to buy as flatpacked and pick up(cool, looked like it would all work,would buy up, fly out and deliver. This didn't pan out as I lost them, I had some other potential buyers, however they wanted photos of the equipment, and I couldn't get photographs off the seller (weird, maybe they didn't actually have the inventory) and I wouldn't show a buyer fake pictures of stock I didnt have.

A nice cheap disruptor. Tablets are lightweight (and there are cheap ones now) but they suck at word and other things. Laptops are heavy and a powerful, so desktop as a service on a tablet. Cheap easy to scale. Add in keyboard and mouse and posh attached case for targeting a higher end market. Recurring revenue so could even start with Gillette model, and give some away for free.

Could be money in buying PCs removing graphics card for mining rigs and selling on. Looking for pre-orders and answer to the question where the hell do I put all of them and the rest of the parts!

I've tried flipping, locally everyone is either poor or broke-a$$ so went wirh a property sale approach (I'm not licensed so figured commercial then residental) a lot of Chinese people are I to that and heavily in Bitcoin (miners investors in miners) looking for a way out so found attornery who can do the legal stuff on bitcoin, offered deal to vendor who was struggling to sell (I give him a peppercorn payment for an optiom to buy in bitcoin, advertised property for sale (did a translation to mandarin on Google translate and paid someone on fiverr to submit to baidu) buy in bitcoin for asset outside your country was my spell. No luck. Would work better with residental property. Found a site with high wealth people to target, submitted was refused, probably because of the crypto mention, so tried again rephrased, nope you have to have proof of ownership sent the option letter, tried to make it clear they were buying the option but they wouldn't take that.

I gave mobile phones a try, nobody wants to pay anything for them, seems to be a marketplace of people selling to each other. Just get silly low offers, I guess everyone is thinking I will buy cheap and sell at profit.

I thought to myself, what should be easy to sell, what do people want? Things that make money. So I built an ML algro for stock picking (apparntley I should have learnt python and submitted it to quantopian where they give you a cut of all profits)

Got a little traction,(attention of the silicon valley VCs was nice) letter from USA hedge fund recruiter based on the first test of my algro was a chest puffer too(I think the no I don't have US status helped., I asked to be referred to their Dutch equivleant (I figured an email from his US colleague might get me in the door there, and same company so still profiting them, but no dice
( but not enough people willing to pay for a subscription to cover the cost of my ML rig or backtesting/paper trading (you can't run this stuff on AWS)

I found people via Facebook,Google AdWords,reddit, googling forums I've found reddit to be the best success so far for getting people's attention, possibly because my design is terrible. However I'm guilty of throwing anything up just to get something there. I have given up on Facebook and craigslist as they seem to only draw people with no money. (Though the ads do let you target high net worth people, I probably don't add enough value or show what value I add.

Tech support was suggested to me, a lot of demand for remote work swing shifts in the US at $20 a piece. However I'm not in the U.S., so I need to convince them I'm better value than an outsourced position in low cost of living country, or appear to be a us based contractor. (Possible future approach)

So I'm not saying I'm sitting here saying I can't do it. I've made multiple attempts and all have failed.

While I might have not gone massively wholehog into some of these, I really want to validate the need first. Do they want it enough to open their wallets or are they just going to say "damn that's cool, I want one".

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Is there a previous thread where you explain your overall goals? I feel I came into the middle of a conversation, even though I see I'm responding to post #1 in the thread.

It's a bit like watching foosball, as the ball zooms back and forth.

There's some stuff about business finance (where did the $20 million rollup come from? If you know how to do that, why are you doing anything else?).
Some stuff about computer hardware (GPU's, tablets).
Some stuff about slowlane type jobs (tech support).
Some stuff about international business (VAT, money transfer).
And some other stuff too (seemingly random remarks about VOIP and Montana LLC's).

I have no sense of how any of this fits into any kind of master plan or criteria, or what skills or knowledge or life experience you have that would make one choice more promising than another.

I think if you take a deep breath and clarify what you most want to accomplish, it will be easier to come up with some reasonable next steps.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Hi. This is now going in media res, you've kind of gone to the middle. I lay out the goals here, along with my opinions of the book. It's my very first step into this world.

INTRO - Hello, I don't want to be a millionaire

I don't know how to do the $20 million rollup, I think I do.

I haven't done it because I don't want to be a millionaire lambos owner, and I want to walk before I run. Let me build a 2k a month business before that. I wanted to get it all out of my head, so yes kind of rambling and I don't have the next steps yet.

The method is there to add value, rather than be an I want money post, if any one here wants to do it and buy lambos go ahead. Send me a picture please

These are the last steps I took pre-reading fastlane.

Your right I didn't explain my life skills or knowledge, accept kind of implied. This is what I've done not who I am.

I'm good at IT,(I studied it for slowlane job) I'm a fairly broad person, though with a glancing skill on a lot. I'm not good at frontend/design ui work. I've had some luck getting traction with headless marketing (written word, only no pictures or videos etc.) I think I'd perhaps go the headless route for an mvp and just offer the chance for developers to help build me things. I'm good at talking to developers. I am also good at straight talking and cutting through the crap, maybe too good, this is beause I've also studied marketing so between those two I think I could be a good growth hacker.

IT support might be a slow lane job, but I was looking at running an outsourcing firm that offered it Support through a Wyoming llc(not sure where your getting montanna from?) Though I'm not American so might have got states mixed up.

Re international business, in Europe it's closer to business that are set up to people on the state borders. Think of it as targeting slowlaners who live in one state and work in another What unique problems do they have? What tax software is built for them specifically? What do they currently use and what is the problem?

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
So I'm not saying I'm sitting here saying I can't do it. I've made multiple attempts and all have failed.

While I might have not gone massively wholehog into some of these, I really want to validate the need first. Do they want it enough to open their wallets or are they just going done at cool I want one.
You're learning your lessons. You kept talking about "disruption", but that's only for guys with deep pockets. You can't disrupt anything. But what you can do is what you identified at the end: find market needs.

Fortunately it's a lot easier nowadays with google. You can check out search volume for any idea you come up with, and can then check the results page to see the competition.

Expect about 10 failed ideas, not just multiple failed ideas. Also note that each time you try and fail, and ask questions about it (like you're doing here), your knowledge and understanding of the process increases, and in turn: the odds of the next idea you execute succeeding goes up.

Keep going.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Got it and replied there, thanks.

I don't know how to do the $20 million rollup, I think I do.

If you've not yet made $4k in a month, I think you'd have a hard time doing the $20 million deal. I don't say it's impossible. But it does make sense for you personally, as you said, to want to walk before you run. Especially as you are still trying to sort out what your actual values and beliefs are. Let alone any specific big plan.

MJ's point is not that everyone should drive a Lambo, even if they prefer a different type of car or would rather get around by bicycle! His point is that for him, it was a symbol of what seemed to be an unattainable dream of wealth. He then learned that this much wealth actually was attainable for him. But first he had to discard a lot of bad "conventional wisdom." Then he had to learn a new, more realistic way to think about business and wealth.

MJ used his anecdotes about the car to build an emotional connection. That helps readers to be open to what he can teach about business.

A lot of people do consider Lambos to be a really damn cool car. Some of his readers have bought one, and you can indeed find their pictures here.

Maybe for yourself, you could put in the freedom to travel and to work with whoever you like, whenever you see someone else talk about their Lambo. Take it as a symbol of aspiration, motivation, and success, if you don't literally want the car.

Your right I didn't explain my life skills or knowledge, accept kind of implied. This is what I've done not who I am.

Thanks for the summary. That's really helpful.

You might like the threads here on web sales, copywriting, and "how do I go from a great idea to find a developer on shared equity?"

IT support might be a slow lane job, but I was looking at running an outsourcing firm that offered it Support through a Wyoming llc(not sure where your getting montanna from?) Though I'm not American so might have got states mixed up

You mentioned Wyoming. My mistake about Montana, an adjacent and in many ways similar state. In the U.S. it's possible to file business papers in one state, while you live and work in other states. Many people do this because they get a tax or privacy or legal advantage based on the laws of a particular state. A Montana LLC doesn't necessarily mean that the company's actually based in Montana.

Re international business, in Europe it's closer to business that are set up to people on the state borders.
I see what you're getting at, because in Europe you reach an international border a lot sooner than you do in most of the U.S. There are giant multinational accounting firms, such as Ernst & Young, that specialize in these issues. There might be some kind of a little niche opportunity. But if you aren't already passionate about international law and tax accounting, how likely is it that you'd find that opportunity yourself, and have a sustainable competitive advantage over a firm like E&Y or a Swiss bank?

I think your most empowering question is: What's Wolfie's lowest risk, most likely to succeed way to start making $1k per week right away? Ideally, starting this week and next week? From the way you describe your current attitude, I think everything that doesn't fit into this should be put on the back burner for now. Make enough to be happy with your initial success, living where you like, feeling successful about what you're learning in business. Then start exploring what might be beyond that.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
You're learning your lessons. You kept talking about "disruption", but that's only for guys with deep pockets. You can't disrupt anything. But what you can do is what you identified at the end: find market needs.

Fortunately it's a lot easier nowadays with google. You can check out search volume for any idea you come up with, and can then check the results page to see the competition.

Expect about 10 failed ideas, not just multiple failed ideas. Also note that each time you try and fail, and ask questions about it (like you're doing here), your knowledge and understanding of the process increases, and in turn: the odds of the next idea you execute succeeding goes up.

Keep going.

I had not learnt that disruption is only for guys with deep pockets. I'm not learning much from the failed ideas discussing them discussing them here might help. I've identified the problem. I'm looking at the too big ideas, not the fastlane ones.

Last edited:

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
If you've not yet made $4k in a month, I think you'd have a hard time doing the $20 million deal. I don't say it's impossible.

I didn't want to say that because it sounded too much like excuse,But I'm glad you did.

"But it does make sense for you personally, as you said, to want to walk before you run.

Especially as you are still trying to sort out what your actual values and beliefs are. Let alone any specific big plan."

Thanks. I'm glad to get someone on the page.

"MJ's point is not that everyone should drive a Lambo, even if they prefer a different type of car or would rather get around by bicycle! His point is that for him, it was a symbol of what seemed to be an unattainable dream of wealth. He then learned that this much wealth actually was attainable for him. But first he had to discard a lot of bad "conventional wisdom." Then he had to learn a new, more realistic way to think about business and wealth.

MJ used his anecdotes about the car to build an emotional connection. That helps readers to be open to what he can teach about business.

A lot of people do consider Lambos to be a really damn cool car. Some of his readers have bought one, and you can indeed find their pictures here.

Maybe for yourself, you could put in the freedom to travel and to work with whoever you like, whenever you see someone else talk about their Lambo. Take it as a symbol of aspiration, motivation, and success, if you don't literally want the car."

Basically your right my lambos is freedom to travel and work with whomever and whenever I want (I like the idea of getting up at 4am, working hard for a bit, a nice siesta and out in to the evening for my fun.

Thanks for the summary. That's really helpful.

"You might like the threads here on web sales, copywriting, and "how do I go from a great idea to find a developer on shared equity?"

I'm following sales and copywriting threads, I don't need a developer for equity, though because I can code. I'll build a prototype myself, get sales and pay cash. I've got lots of people who can code who are underemployed/unemployed so can

"You mentioned Wyoming. My mistake about Montana, an adjacent and in many ways similar state. In the U.S. it's possible to file business papers in one state, while you live and work in other states. Many people do this because they get a tax or privacy or legal advantage based on the laws of a particular state. A Montana LLC doesn't necessarily mean that the company's actually based in Montana." Mainly because of the provisions that allow you to be anonymous. If I file for a Wyoming LLC, buy a local voip etc nobody needs to know I'm not in Wyoming (can also get an IRS EIR number(legitematly) that's more potential step 2 or 3 though, seems a good way to outsource, although I'm not set on it.

" I see what you're getting at, because in Europe you reach an international border a lot sooner than you do in most of the U.S. " Yup

"There are giant multinational accounting firms, such as Ernst & Young, that specialize in these issues. There might be some kind of a little niche opportunity. But if you aren't already passionate about international law and tax accounting, how likely is it that you'd find that opportunity yourself, and have a sustainable competitive advantage over a firm like E&Y or a Swiss bank?"

This wasn't my idea it was actually an accountant who has this issue, in his local area and wants to know if his niche is scalabe, it is probably way too much I'm trying to chew. Whatever, maybe we can do something together in the future, when I'm working how I like, I can turn up at the b&b down the street and we can work a project together.

"I think your most empowering question is: What's Wolfie's lowest risk, most likely to succeed way to start making $1k per week right away? Ideally, starting this week and next week? From the way you describe your current attitude, I think everything that doesn't fit into this should be put on the back burner for now. Make enough to be happy with your initial success, living where you like, feeling successful about what you're learning in business. Then start exploring what might be beyond that"

I think your right, the current answer is I have no clue.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
if you want to start flipping look into cars & motorcycles, fairly easy market to make extra cash..

ive flipped bikes for a few hundred bucks, as always cash is king and if u spend all day making offers then meet with cash in hand its hard for people to say ''NO''

here is a thread you can reference..

bootstrapper thread - Lambo Power

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Looking for my low risk 1k a week (typo that should be a month not a week)niche. Not found it here yet possibly because the average value people.are chasing is too high

Trying not to.bw excuse, but I dont have a license (driving examiner wouldn't even let me enter I was that bad), when I tried to explain this in here that's why I can't execute a strategy that requires driving I was shot down as generating excuses. Really? So I should break the law and be a danger to other's lives? Don't want to be rich if that's the attitude it takes.

So I'm glad to find posters like you, and others in this thread, engaging, educating and discussing.

Transit sucks too,locally so travelling to collect and sell things for flipping perhaps isn't the best strategy for me.

What is? Is it an ebook? Something on CD? I seem to struggle with getting attention online, though, i blame looks, and I seem to not have an audience locally. I've had some success getting attention on reddit (couple thousand views). So maybe I need to do reddit advertising of an ugly but useful product that can generate my 1k a week.

I tried flipping property (commercial, not residental because I don't need licensing for that) but couldn't find buyers. Shame cos that could have been 1k per unit, 52 units woukd give me what I needed. Then I could have doubled it, so I could afford to hire someone else to do.the physical part and just tell them.what to do via skype.

So I've not worked out my lowest risk, easy to succeed way of making 1k a week. Ideally starting this week.

If it came.to it I'd rather take 500 starting this week, than 1k starting in four weeks. I'm progressing,then, getting somewhere and can always accelerate later, get out the driveway before worrying about 2nd gear.

I've no idea what the low risk route is though.

I tried flipping cell phones but just find a lot of "buyers" wirh no money, all offering cheap.to nothing prices.

There has to be something, maybe it isn't flipping.

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
also ive only barely skimmed through, but id recommend to just pick any industry that interests you, literally anything, and just give that a go.

anything you start will be horrible right now, the key here is to learn the art of business. dont worry so much about making money now,

#1 what are some things that interest *YOU* ??

#2 something that you are knowledgeable and an expert?

#3 can you improve something about it?

how about we start with that

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
also ive only barely skimmed through, but id recommend to just pick any industry that interests you, literally anything, and just give that a go.

anything you start will be horrible right now, the key here is to learn the art of business. dont worry so much about making money now,

what are some things that interest *YOU* ??

something that you are knowledgeable and an expert?

can you improve something about it?

I'm not sure I understand you, how do you learn the art without making money?

I'm into IT and computers, I'm not as good as some of the guys here, but in was coding as a kid.

I'm into crypto, quite intrested in Non Standard RAM uses. So I quite like the CUDA and GPU,(I improve my pc's efficiency cheaply by running my OS in ram(.computer runs faster), and I used cheap pen drives as virtual memory, providing a cheap upgrade..So that's something made better, with my knowledge, little interest though. Thought it might appeal as a steambox more, little interest, applied for the license, never heard back (ok pobably not fastlane)

. There is also a lot of risk (hardware sitting there unsold, easy for anyone with the machine to copy)

So I don't seem to be able to sell, anything that interests me.

Crypto seems interesting, but no one wants an untested person writing thier ICO or smart contract(which is why developers are so expensive) truffle helps but at the end of the day those systems literally run on money.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
You can start off by learning marketing, acquiring customers, dealing with customers, and millions of other of things.

Even if you do & dump this idea, all the skills you taught yourself will transfer over to any other business you do, that is why action taking here is preached so much.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
It's not really about making money, its more about learning the process of learning & failure.

Most startups suck, that is totally fine, everyone needs to start somewhere.

Here's a random idea, if you are interested in computers why not start up a computer fixing gig?

Colin Thornton – The South African computer nerd who built a $10 million business by fixing problems - Smallstarter Africa example here,

Its not about the idea, but the execution.

I tried that too, my execution sucked, I guess. Though not customers locally, o kept knocking on doors and asking south Africa is an interesting example because they are low density, I tried specialising in laptops but didn't get people willing to post to me. That's actually.part of how I got kicked out of my accomdation, it wasn't really to be used for business use but I couldn't afford anything else and well I couldn't get to customers another way.

Not making excuses, I am at fault for breaking terms and conditions, if it had taken off first, wouldn't have mattered ,I took a big gamble and lost.

I've not learnt acquiring customers, that's the problem, with all my attempts. I've learnt some marketing tricks, but nothing that has worked well yet..else well I'd have customers.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
So you struggled to get clients for a laptop repair buisness?

How did you go about acquisition?

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Yup, tried door to door, local newspaper, craigslist, Google AdWords.

Maybe I should do something like sourcing, find those rare, unusual items for willing buyers. Then I'm adding value through resarch not just Google search, can deploy robots to be constantly looking for items.

I dunno, maybe the low risk, quick way is something more like a job/freelancer but automate it away.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
how many doors have you knocked on?

local newspaper seems to be a waste aswell as google adwords,

what about facebook or instagram have you done anything there?

have you tried leaving small flyers in public places like starbucks etc?

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
how many doors have you knocked on?

local newspaper seems to be a waste aswell as google adwords,

what about facebook or instagram have you done anything there?

have you tried leaving small flyers in public places like starbucks etc?

I did not count but all the doors here plus time neighbouring villages, so in all about 50. I don't think there is enough density to support anything with local customers.

Yep, tried Facebook,Instagram, twitter, Iinkedin, I seem to perform worse on those than Google Ads.

They are all a complex waste.

There are no public places like that here (I did try to hire someone of fiverr or craigslist in a big city to do that, for me, but no one wanted to know)

I tried standing by the crossroads, with a big sign, that didn't help.

I managed to get in a big supermarket for four weeks, but nobody wanted to know. I managed to get in library at another village (most people there came to use the computers because they didn't have their own,library had their own contract and not intrested in mine, couldn't find out who their supplier was.

I think everyone is doing laptop repair, to the point where all needs are feasible and nobody wants it. Lots of people use tablets/phones instead.

They all seem to be a waste, I think the trouble is looking elsewhere for clients means I'm competing with the local providers. Why would they want to send their laptop off to me, when they can give it locally? So I would need to target people with no local providers. Why would they hire me over any of the dozens of alternatives?

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I'm into crypto, quite intrested in Non Standard RAM uses. So I quite like the CUDA and GPU,(I improve my pc's efficiency cheaply by running my OS in ram(.computer runs faster), and I used cheap pen drives as virtual memory, providing a cheap upgrade

Whatever else you do, I suggest you also make a blog where you gather articles and case studies that you find interesting on these topics. Don't present yourself as anything other than a person who finds this technology niche fascinating.

Some of the kind of things you could put up:
News articles about Nvidia vs AMD.
Blog posts from engineers.
Programming API guides to DirectX and OpenGL.
Wikipedia articles on fibre channel.
Technical discussions of parallel languages for supercomputers that crunch numbers on GPU's.
How game consoles use dual ported video memory.
Benchmarking tests of what kinds of GPU's give better frame rate performance for Davinci Resolve.
Articles about the history of obscure computers that used special weird memory tricks for super high performance.

You probably have lots of stuff like this already in your bookmarks. You probably find more of this stuff every day, as you browse based on your interests.

Provide a place for other people to learn about this field, without having to go through all the source information you wade through to find the gems.

If you have a specific question, correspond with an approachable engineer or manager and link on your blog to the conversation. Start to meet other people who are interested in this stuff. Find out which universities have strong research programs in this field, link to the new research and theses. As you start to notice patterns, add your own remarks rather than just posting other people's information. Write up a step by step guide to using pen drives for virtual memory in Linux.

You can start to get known as a young eager guy in this niche.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
I did not count but all the doors here plus time neighbouring villages, so in all about 50. I don't think there is enough density to support anything with local customers.

Yep, tried Facebook,Instagram, twitter, Iinkedin, I seem to perform worse on those than Google Ads.

They are all a complex waste.

There are no public places like that here (I did try to hire someone of fiverr or craigslist in a big city to do that, for me, but no one wanted to know)

I tried standing by the crossroads, with a big sign, that didn't help.

I managed to get in a big supermarket for four weeks, but nobody wanted to know. I managed to get in library at another village (most people there came to use the computers because they didn't have their own,library had their own contract and not intrested in mine, couldn't find out who their supplier was.

I think everyone is doing laptop repair, to the point where all needs are feasible and nobody wants it. Lots of people use tablets/phones instead.

They all seem to be a waste, I think the trouble is looking elsewhere for clients means I'm competing with the local providers. Why would they want to send their laptop off to me, when they can give it locally? So I would need to target people with no local providers. Why would they hire me over any of the dozens of alternatives?

so what is your next plan?

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
so what is your next plan?

Answer the following question,

What's Wolfie's lowest risk, most likely to succeed way to start making $1k per week right away? Ideally, starting this week and next week?

I haven't worked it out yet, my gut feeling is it will not be selling things locally, but via the internet, not sure what or how it will.be marketed yet. I've not found my fastlane yet,I need the sat nav, I know where I am, and the destination I want to reach.

I considered an ICO kit, for the average Joe based on posts, here. Pretty easy(it's just running a couple of scripts, add in some additional videos, and bundle it on a Linux instance. Either sell it as virtual app, sign in from your browser, or package the whole.thing on DVD. It needs to be if you can use email, you can use this.

Don't know if a)that's fastlane b) if there's demand (everything else is at $50,000 to $100,000, so need.to convince people it is worth spending 1k
C) where to market, a lot of places ban the advertising of crypto related things(Google,fb,reddit) need to find people with the need but not able to just go do it themselves. Most at places like bitcointalk have the ability to just go do it on their own. So where woukd I reach people?
D). Where to get betatesters? I suppose it could be sold a lot cheaper at a massive level of orders ,maybe $50 or so.

Personally I'd really rather have a quick result right now of a good amount than a short one.

A 20k profit of anything quick, then a 1k or 2k a month would be better than a 2k a month approach. Heck a 5k profit would be really good, it doesn't even have to be repeatable.

I'm not doing too well with flips though.mind you I'm not really doing to well with anything.

If you were me (can't drive, not much transit locally, haven't ever sold anything, doesn't seem to be much demand for anything locally) what money quickly,.ideally enough to fund filing for company, or at least something like pre orders. Not too good at design.) What Would you try? I've no idea, I'm open to suggestions or how to find a (small) niche or how to market.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
you can literally do anything,

20k profit quick...lol

good luck

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
You can do literally anything and lol at my dream don't really match.

I appreciate the wishes of good luck though, I suppose a better phrasing might have been I'd rather opt for larger capital gain on the short term over regular income right now.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
you don't need much capital to start a business.

i got a lawnmower for a couple hundred bucks and walked around door to door and made $20-$30 for under an hours work,

# cleaning windows is something you could do commercial or residential, startup cost under 50 bucks probably

# go around washing cars door to door spam out flyers allover the place

# flip random crap on kijji craigslist or w/e

lots of little things you can do, the problem with all these is you have to work extremly hard for this.

no one is gonna ***** hold your hand and babysit you.

startup phase is all about busting your a$$, your other thread is so dumb and pissed off so many people because you are making excuses, dont be a baby and hustle. read some books. let us know what youve done in the next week

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
If you click reply, the forum software will automatically quote the entire post. You can then edit that down to just the parts you want to respond to, as I did, by using square brackets. [ QUOTE ] without the spaces before and after the word quote, to start a quote. [ /QUOTE ] without the spaces to end a quote. Makes it a lot more readable.

Basically your right my lambos is freedom to travel and work with whomever and whenever I want (I like the idea of getting up at 4am, working hard for a bit, a nice siesta and out in to the evening for my fun.

So there you go. It's about freedom for you to choose your own location, timing, and team or clientele.

I'm following sales and copywriting threads, I don't need a developer for equity, though because I can code. I'll build a prototype myself, get sales and pay cash. I've got lots of people who can code who are underemployed/unemployed

Okay, so if you do something with coding, you already are confident you can scale additional code if that's what it takes to grow your business.

Mainly because of the provisions that allow you to be anonymous. If I file for a Wyoming LLC, buy a local voip etc nobody needs to know I'm not in Wyoming (can also get an IRS EIR number(legitematly) that's more potential step 2 or 3 though, seems a good way to outsource, although I'm not set on it.

Anonymous doesn't mean that governments won't be able to track your transactions so they can get their taxes. Many people want to know who they are buying from, not some anonymous company with a web site that doesn't tell who runs the company. If you are ever involved with a lawsuit, your actual identity will become public record anyway. I'm not sure what you're trying to protect with the anonymity.

There are VOIP services to provide a phone number in your choice of area code. For example, if you sign up for Google Voice from within the U.S., you can pick a number from any area code in the U.S. (or at least many area codes).

This wasn't my idea it was actually an accountant who has this issue, in his local area and wants to know if his niche is scalabe, it is probably way too much I'm trying to chew.

Yeah, let him get his own forum membership and discuss his business ideas directly. I think sorting your own business is enough to keep you busy for now!

I think your right, the current answer is I have no clue.

If you weren't exaggerating about how tiny your village is, it does look like it will need to be something online so you can reach more buyers.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
i got a lawnmower.... cleaning windows... go around washing cars door to door... flip random crap...

Wolfie mentioned that he's in a tiny village, with a very low and widely scattered population, very inadequate public transit, and he doesn't drive. That's a lot different from Vancouver.

Lawn mowing depends on enough lawns within reach, and a way to get the mower there. Would the village let him take a lawn mower on the bus? Flipping stuff depends on enough local sellers and buyers within reach. He's limited to what he could carry in his arms to the transit stop, take with him and store at home.

Window washing depends on enough windows within reach. Perhaps the bus comes once a day and drops him off where there are five houses, a gas station, and a grocery store. How is that going to add up to a viable window washing business?

These sound like real external logistics showstoppers. They are not internal psychological issues that could be solved with a pep talk for a better attitude.

He literally might not have large enough numbers to work with, unlike how many people are within an easy walk in Vancouver. So I think whatever he does, will probably have to be an online business rather than a local hustle.

I think he's not expecting anyone to do work for him. I get the impression that he's willing to work hard, and really literally does not know what he could offer, who he could offer it to, or how to reach them.

He's not expecting hand holding or babysitting. He's hoping for a conversation to work through different criteria and ideas, until he sees some things that possibly could work. As soon as he sees some ideas that look at all possible, I expect he'll quickly and energetically give them an honest try, learn and keep on moving forward. He is very eager to learn and to try something that might work, as soon as he can figure out what that might be.

I have a hunch that his interest in high-end computer graphics and memory technology is going to be part of the solution.

He has some ingredients there, but he doesn't have a recipe.

He's like someone who is hungry and hasn't cooked dinner yet. Why not? Because the only ingredients he's found n the house, are mustard and peanuts. He doesn't see any rice, or lettuce, or chicken. Your approach is, I'm paraphrasing: "I've pointed out that there's mustard and peanuts in the house and yet you've not cooked dinner yet. Therefore you must have a psychological issue that will be cured if I scold and yell at you enough." Sometimes, someone hasn't cooked a meal because they really don't understand what ingredients might be on hand or what recipes might be possible, not because they need someone to yell at them.

Also, from a lifetime of studying psychology, I can say with reasonable certainty that scolding is seldom a viable way to help anyone reach a psychological breakthrough. Despite its popularity on this forum, it is not proven effective by a century of research into how the mind works and how to help other people achieve their full potential.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I considered an ICO kit,

Don't worry for now about a Fastlane-compatible disruptive breakthrough. I totally agree with sparechange, that what would you help you most is some kind of side hustle you can start immediately.

It's okay if it's a totally routine type of business. First get some basic cash flow going in a way that's sustainable.

First, prove to yourself that you can make some sales and have some business success. Until you've done that, it's too early to even start to ask what would be some kind of unique, awesome, big breakthrough opportunity.

It's a shame you aren't in a densely populated area. If you were, the kind of simple things that have come up in the conversation so far, like window washing, and helping little old ladies with their broken computers, could be a perfect start for you.

The enthusiasm for digital coins on this site doesn't represent a valid market niche for you. Most of the people talking about coins here already understand how to have a wallet. Or they would enjoy doing their own research and they are totally up to the challenge.

I think basic web design or online ad service, for small businesses in your own country, or very close by, might possibly be a great initial gig for you. I highly recommend Fox's and Andy Black's megathreads on those topics, along with Fox's Youtube channel and Andy's Soundcloud call archive. Also recommend you stick with Europe, and not try to crack the American market until you're already a local success.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
Don't worry for now about a Fastlane-compatible disruptive breakthrough. I totally agree with sparechange, that what would you help you most is some kind of side hustle you can start immediately.

It's okay if it's a totally routine type of business. First get some basic cash flow going in a way that's sustainable.

First, prove to yourself that you can make some sales and have some business success. Until you've done that, it's too early to even start to ask what would be some kind of unique, awesome, big breakthrough opportunity.

It's a shame you aren't in a densely populated area. If you were, the kind of simple things that have come up in the conversation so far, like window washing, and helping little old ladies with their broken computers, could be a perfect start for you.

The enthusiasm for digital coins on this site doesn't represent a valid market niche for you. Most of the people talking about coins here already understand how to have a wallet. Or they would enjoy doing their own research and they are totally up to the challenge.

I think basic web design or online ad service, for small businesses in your own country, or very close by, might possibly be a great initial gig for you. I highly recommend Fox's and Andy Black's megathreads on those topics, along with Fox's Youtube channel and Andy's Soundcloud call archive. Also recommend you stick with Europe, and not try to crack the American market until you're already a local success.

I'll read through those pointers you gave me.

I agree it's a shame that it's not a densely populated area, that's why I thought of a slow lane remote work job (I can then move to where there is a high population density and start there)

That's why it's a real shame when people in those areas, don't want to offer what they have(location) I guess that's why the guy was able to build out development by going to meetups and outsourcing to devs.

Well,I already started the ICO kit sidehustle (oops), your right the target market would not be here.

I'm finding it's actually kind of hard to advertise online without bringing in the American market. Unless I'm using my website with geoblocking and referring them to that.

In no way at all, am I trying to reach American customers for anything.

You would think that keeping English out of the equation would avoid the American market that but it doesn't seem to be the case. First generation immigrants perhaps?

The last time, I tried web design I found two problems A) nobody wants to be the first clients, that's why I emailed charities, looking for free work
B) if it's remote work, they would rather outsource to somewhere cheaper than with someone 100 miles away

I can't figure the value add, I can do remotely to compete with everybody else

Yes, if I felt that the market would jump on something I could deliver locally I would put in to it a lot of effort.

I'm like a chef trying to come up with a nice pasta and can only think of how to cook 5 star meals.

Thanks again for you replies,agreement and your understanding over scolding rather than responding to my posts with " landfill" and scorn. I guess the lifetime of psychology helps you read between the lines, and value add.

My biggest issue with the high end graphics is I can't see a way forward without investment of some sort.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
you don't need much capital to start a business.

lots of little things you can do, let us know what youve done in the next week

I know, I tried lots of things with very little capital, that's the entire point of the thread, this is what I've done, it hasn't worked, what lessons can be drawn from it.

I've not figured it out yet, but I'm taking action (craigslist ad) and I'm looking for something suitable to put most of the effort towards.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
I have a hunch that his interest in high-end computer graphics and memory technology is going to be part of the solution.

Now, while I have thoughts on this, it probably needs to be descaled, form the disruptive complex process. So what's the advantage I can see;

Running in ram gives you a faster running computer (at the cost of taking longer to load up) so who has the need of faster computers?

This is where I came up with gaming steam boxes mentioned earlier, it's the "wow" factor to using your gaming pc (it violates control, because of the licenses I need, unless I can figure out a way to bypass that. It's scalable buy hardware and add software to i, get popular license software. Large amount of shipping costs. Barrier to entry? Well any other developer could copy it or do it now.

Or same principle eth mining rig, since it runs slightly faster, you will get more crypto for your buck. Control? Yes. Scalable? Yes it's just software.

Barrier to entry is a bit higher, cos of tweaking and bandwidth of downloading the whole freaking node, however chance everyone who buys eth mining rigs does this already. There also the cost of buying one to show. Interestingly people, seem reluctant to believe you can mine on a home pc and want a rig made from home pc components :jawdrop:

Maybe I should go back to upwork, but I think there's some other problem (maybe psychological there) or maybe it's just my copywriting skills.

The first time I registered all I ever got was build my idea for "equity" type offers. no thanks. I lost that account details, didn't use it for a while.

The most recent attempt I tired fiverr/upwork etc got queries, but people wanted to know when I could come to them (erm when you pay me,no one wants to pay for my transit costs) so I guess they don't want me to visit that badly.

That said I think fiverr might be better than upwork if I can come up with a good offer, but their might be an even better site for me somewhere.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.