The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My 23yo kid now enjoys passive income (before I get to)

Drive2Riches

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 18, 2014
Washington
Last week my son received his first royalty check for one song that he produced in 2019. He has a talent in the music industry, writing songs and producing music for himself and for various artists in LA.

I asked him if he'd read TMF and he said that he did, back when I sent it to him two years ago.

He told me that it's hard to stay focused on his music career when he can make "so much more money" at his J.O.B. "But I know I'll get there with music and it will be so much more rewarding in the end."

He's in the high end bar/hospitality industry for "work" but his career is clearly going to be producing and writing music.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Congratulations but you didn't raise a kid, you raised an adult. Something most people don't understand the difference as they are doing it.... the weird thing is, I think you did it accidently because you refer to him as a kid. But as long as it worked out, it's all good! If it wasn't for accidents, I wouldn't be here myself..... in more ways than 1 :jawdrop:

GigMistress

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Nov 19, 2019
A cornfield in the Midwest
Congratulations but you didn't raise a kid, you raised an adult. Something most people don't understand the difference as they are doing it.... the weird thing is, I think you did it accidently because you refer to him as a kid. But as long as it worked out, it's all good! If it wasn't for accidents, I wouldn't be here myself..... in more ways than 1 :jawdrop:

That's a huge assumption to make on the basis of a single word. I still refer to my adult offspring as my kids, and I definitely don't think of them as children or anything less than peers at this point in their lives. My youngest has run the administrative aspects of my business for the past couple of years, and she's a pro at things I couldn't begin to handle on my own.

She definitely didn't become the confident, independent person she is by accident. I started gradually empowering her to make her own decisions pre-adolescence and gave her the tools she needed to independently explore many different career opportunities while she was still in her teens and she ran with it.

Drive2Riches

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 18, 2014
Washington
entrepreneurial kids book
I gave both my boys RDPD at a young age, one got the book, and the other got the comic version of that book. TMF went to each kid at different moments when I thought they could use it. Younger one hasn't bothered to read it yet, but that's kinda his M.O. about stuff at the moment.

She definitely didn't become the confident, independent person she is by accident. I started gradually empowering her to make her own decisions pre-adolescence and gave her the tools she needed to independently explore many different career opportunities while she was still in her teens and she ran with it.
This is what I'm talking about. :) Fuel the spark where it exists.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
That's a huge assumption to make on the basis of a single word. I still refer to my adult offspring as my kids, and I definitely don't think of them as children or anything less than peers at this point in their lives. My youngest has run the administrative aspects of my business for the past couple of years, and she's a pro at things I couldn't begin to handle on my own.

No, it's not an assumption at all. Facts are real life. You even saw it with YOUR own eyes. Maybe know what the word means before it falls out of your fingers and on to a keyboard.

GigMistress

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Nov 19, 2019
A cornfield in the Midwest
No, it's not an assumption at all. Facts are real life. You even saw it with YOUR own eyes. Maybe know what the word means before it falls out of your fingers and on to a keyboard.

You know for a fact what a word means to another person you've never met, whose background and culture you know nothing about, and what it says about his relationship with a member of his family you'd literally never heard of until that brief paragraph?

My apologies. I was unaware that I was in the presence of an omniscient being.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Maybe know what the word means before it falls out of your fingers and on to a keyboard.

Huh? You went from 0 to 1000 real fast here over one word.

For lots of people "kid" is just a word they use - you are reaching heavily.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@minivanman explain the value provided in your first reply. as my boys are teenagers, not sure what you were getting at and would like to know more! :)

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Think we've ended off down a side road with the kid / adult thing! I just wanted to say big kudos to your song @Drive2Riches. I work with a lot of people in the entertainment industry and it's a really hard one to break into and also have the grit and determination to stay in. I've seen many a talented musician and actor broke by it.

He sounds like he's got his feet on the ground and has the staying power. I wish him all the luck!

Drive2Riches

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 18, 2014
Washington
My phone call with him yesterday -- two things that I was very pleased to hear about.

First, he's got an entire team of people working for him. I knew he had recently attained some management, but he actually has three reps, each one being particularly savvy with something, maybe legal, agent, and promoter.

On the call, I learned that he sat in a seminar recently (something about personal growth) next to a music attorney who represents big artists in the same lane as him. I don't know about anybody else, but I'd give anything to be in a position where a specialized attorney is soliciting ME for my business. So yeah, that's really happening.

I can't get my head around the position my son is in. The axiom that applies here is -- opportunity comes to those who are prepared for it. Or -- luck is what you make.

The point is, he built himself into this position where people in connected businesses are vying for a position on his team. His news yesterday was also that he actually turned down a management rep from a company that's 10X bigger than the agency rep he currently has, because he really, really likes his agent, because this person works very hard for him. Amazingly, he told the big rep to work something out where they can get a cut from whatever big gig they might be able to land for him. And he doesn't have to work those details out because his current management will do it for him.

Imagine the scope of the biggest music event you can think of in Vegas. That's the opportunity he's talking about, being part of the billing.

Here's the second important thing I was extremely pleased to hear about. He does not have a conceptual ceiling on the money that he can possibly be making. I mean, from five figures, to six, to seven figures earning in a year. He spoke in a matter-of-fact way, and he knows that it's in his future. TMF : magnitude. If you're going to sell real estate, sell multimillion dollar homes a few times a year. If you're going to DJ, be the best, and book the biggest, and play 100 one-hour sets in a year. (And I wouldn't say this if I didn't hear it from my kid first.)

I noticed that for him, his effort is not about chasing money. It's about value. He's found success from providing extraordinary value by working extraordinarily hard at whatever he does. Networking for business and music as one example. And top-notch music product (songwriting and recording) as another example.

Aleeysha

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Apr 6, 2019
My phone call with him yesterday -- two things that I was very pleased to hear about.

First, he's got an entire team of people working for him. I knew he had recently attained some management, but he actually has three reps, each one being particularly savvy with something, maybe legal, agent, and promoter.

On the call, I learned that he sat in a seminar recently (something about personal growth) next to a music attorney who represents big artists in the same lane as him. I don't know about anybody else, but I'd give anything to be in a position where a specialized attorney is soliciting ME for my business. So yeah, that's really happening.

I can't get my head around the position my son is in. The axiom that applies here is -- opportunity comes to those who are prepared for it. Or -- luck is what you make.

The point is, he built himself into this position where people in connected businesses are vying for a position on his team. His news yesterday was also that he actually turned down a management rep from a company that's 10X bigger than the agency rep he currently has, because he really, really likes his agent, because this person works very hard for him. Amazingly, he told the big rep to work something out where they can get a cut from whatever big gig they might be able to land for him. And he doesn't have to work those details out because his current management will do it for him.

Imagine the scope of the biggest music event you can think of in Vegas. That's the opportunity he's talking about, being part of the billing.

Here's the second important thing I was extremely pleased to hear about. He does not have a conceptual ceiling on the money that he can possibly be making. I mean, from five figures, to six, to seven figures earning in a year. He spoke in a matter-of-fact way, and he knows that it's in his future. TMF : magnitude. If you're going to sell real estate, sell multimillion dollar homes a few times a year. If you're going to DJ, be the best, and book the biggest, and play 100 one-hour sets in a year. (And I wouldn't say this if I didn't hear it from my kid first.)

I noticed that for him, his effort is not about chasing money. It's about value. He's found success from providing extraordinary value by working extraordinarily hard at whatever he does. Networking for business and music as one example. And top-notch music product (songwriting and recording) as another example.
This is so heartwarming and encouraging. Thanks for sharing! We always think about how fastlane objectives can be applied to our own lives. But personally I would feel just as rewarded, if not even more so, watching one or both of my sons benefit from these values being passed down to them. Congratulations on your son's success.

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
T

This is great. I think most of the dads here would love to have their kids prepared for something as big as this. Congratulations. Obviously your hard work paid off.

Drive2Riches

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 18, 2014
Washington
Wow. There are two giant milestones for him this week. Both are very significant.

He told me them in this order.

1. He had his very first ever panic attack.

He had no idea how intense it could be. Evidently, he had some stuff he was trying to get accomplished but then had to go to work. (nightclub) And two hours in, everything completely rained down on him.

He told me that he recognized what might have caused it, and that he's surprised it's the first time it's happened. So he's going to start saying "no" to things, and figure out some solutions that would pull himself back down to earth. Having a new (it's official) girlfriend helps, he said. More grounded.

2. The song (that started this thread) has been played on YouTube ONE MILLION TIMES.

That's right. 1,000,000 -- he said he couldn't believe seeing that "second comma."

That's it for this episode of "Dad's occasional updates." Future updates may include info about: He's training with a pro DJ and expects to land some humongous gigs this summer. His most recent song release has been out for three weeks and the video was created by his brother.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.