The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Morale decrease

Anything related to matters of the mind

Juhas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
May 22, 2019
Poland
Lately I'm going through a dramatic morale decrease. I bet that we all feel this from time to time. But what are your ways with managing that?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Yes i think everyone deals with it for sure.

I don't really have any advice other than what works for me.

Yesterday after work i did not want to go to the gym at ALL motivation was below 0.

I mean it was the last thing i wanted to do, i was wrecked after work , didnt eat well or drink alot of water that day.

I simply just got in my car and drove there knowing it was going to suck, i said i am going to do this no matter how crap this workout is, i have to go in and do something.

Brute force really...

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
There are triggers that lead to this state. You have to see what you want to do or what is going wrong.

After you identify the trigger then you can either get rid of it or work on making it better.

Juhas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
May 22, 2019
Poland
There are triggers that lead to this state. You have to see what you want to do or what is going wrong.

After you identify the trigger then you can either get rid of it or work on making it better.

That's simple. Nothing works the way I would like it to work. There is no income, no sales and really low morale.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
diet exercise and meditation.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
That's simple. Nothing works the way I would like it to work. There is no income, no sales and really low morale.
Hi Adam,

I read your intro thread to see if it would give me more insight. (Here it is if anyone else wants to take a look. INTRO - Hello from Poland )

So it sounds like nothing is working out the way you would like it to work.

You have a loan to pay back, a job where you work 6 hours a day, and a side hustle where you've created a physical product that you'd like to see in stores.

That puts you way ahead of me. So congratulations!

It sounds like your biggest hurdle at the moment is not knowing how to approach distributors who might have the power to carry your product so that it can appear in stores.

Is that right?

Or what specifically is not working out?

If you could shed more light on what's causing you to be discouraged, maybe the forum could offer more targeted help.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
im deadass look into Zhan Zhuang it will change your life
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOp7wPtE6qA

also the book
The Way of Energy

theres free pdf on google if u search, won't post link here.

Standing meditation woke up my morale after years of burnout, it transforms you from within, awakens your inner energy and cultivates your spirit. its like magic.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
So it sounds like nothing is working out the way you would like it to work.

You have a loan to pay back, a job where you work 6 hours a day, and a side hustle where you've created a physical product that you'd like to see in stores.

That puts you way ahead of me. So congratulations!

It sounds like your biggest hurdle at the moment is not knowing how to approach distributors who might have the power to carry your product so that it can appear in stores.

Is that right?

Or what specifically is not working out?

If you could shed more light on what's causing you to be discouraged, maybe the forum could offer more targeted help.
I think these morale slumps are common, but they result from specific thoughts, especially:
  • "Nothing I do works."
That thought would stop any rational person from wanting to take action.

But tweaking that thought to something like:
  • "What I've tried so far hasn't produced the results I expected. So, what SPECIFICALLY could I try that might move the needle?"
And make sure you know EXACTLY what "move the needle" means for you. Maybe it's:
  • increase my conversion rate
  • generate more leads for my service business
  • generate more traffic to my website
Whatever. The more specific you get, the easier it is to answer the question "what SPECIFICALLY could I try?"

So, like @Bekit asked, what SPECIFICALLY is the area/problem you want to improve?

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Quick de rail - where's the rep button? So much love I want to give around haha.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Lately I'm going through a dramatic morale decrease.

By this I'm guessing you mean a lack of motivation and the ability to move forward. This could easily be the result of a bout of depression brought on by your current circumstances and lack of progress.

The thing with being in a depressive state is that it negatively impacts the balance of the brain’s neurotransmitters. Specifically, Dopamine, Serotonin and Norepinephrine. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that we associate with feelings of euphoria (the ‘Feel Good' or 'Happy Drug’). However Dopamine plays a far greater role than that. As well as pleasure, dopamine has a very strong impact on focus, concentration and motivation. So a drop in dopamine will see your motivation plummet.

If that wasn't enough reduced Serotonin can cause anxiety, insomnia, low self-esteem and poor appetite and low levels of Norepinephrine can induce depression, poor memory, lack of energy, focus and motivation.

Let all that sink in for a minute. If this is happening to you is it any wonder you can't get motivated?

Knowing this you need to understand you can't just push through it. You have to deal with it from first base. Trying to attack it from any other angle is akin to trying to run a marathon while attached to a bungee cord. You will just keep getting dragged back.

I'd suggest you concentrate on overcoming the depressive state and your morale (and therefore focus and motivation) will improve greatly. It might help to see your doctor. Confide in a close friend if you can as a problem shared may not be halved but talking through it helps.

Also as others have said work on naturally boosting emotive state through regular exercise, healthy eating and good sleep habits.

Quick de rail - where's the rep button? So much love I want to give around haha.

It went with the new update. That's why we don't have a $ account anymore. I don't know if MJ is intending to bring it back?

Sadik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
Jan 26, 2017
Kolkata, India
If it happens sometimes, it's natural. But if it's a regular occurrence, then there are underlying issues.

If the current activities in your life aren't aligned with a strong "Why", nothing you do will ever satisfy you and you will continue to feel a strong void inside you. What you need to do is take time off and deeply think about your self identity and your deepest wants. Define a practical end goal. Not wishy stuff like "I want to be free" or "I want a billion dollars", but something like "I want to live in Cambridge in a 3 bedroom condo and travel 60 days a year".

What you wish for has to excite you so much that you want to jump out of your bed in the morning to work at it. Once you visualise your goal, reverse engineer it. Write down exactly the steps to take to achieve what you want. Your business has to be a step for the goal, not the end goal itself.

And all the best. If you feel really depressed, talk to a real person. Don't let it go too far.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
dont underestimate the power of just slowing things down and taking it easy for a bit.
Doing that for a few days can really balance you out, cause ur breath slows down and your body relaxes and mind calms down.
A few days of doing that can change your entire sensation of life.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
By this I'm guessing you mean a lack of motivation and the ability to move forward. This could easily be the result of a bout of depression brought on by your current circumstances and lack of progress.

The thing with being in a depressive state is that it negatively impacts the balance of the brain’s neurotransmitters. Specifically, Dopamine, Serotonin and Norepinephrine. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that we associate with feelings of euphoria (the ‘Feel Good' or 'Happy Drug’). However Dopamine plays a far greater role than that. As well as pleasure, dopamine has a very strong impact on focus, concentration and motivation. So a drop in dopamine will see your motivation plummet.

If that wasn't enough reduced Serotonin can cause anxiety, insomnia, low self-esteem and poor appetite and low levels of Norepinephrine can induce depression, poor memory, lack of energy, focus and motivation.

Let all that sink in for a minute. If this is happening to you is it any wonder you can't get motivated?

Knowing this you need to understand you can't just push through it. You have to deal with it from first base. Trying to attack it from any other angle is akin to trying to run a marathon while attached to a bungee cord. You will just keep getting dragged back.

I'd suggest you concentrate on overcoming the depressive state and your morale (and therefore focus and motivation) will improve greatly. It might help to see your doctor. Confide in a close friend if you can as a problem shared may not be halved but talking through it helps.

Also as others have said work on naturally boosting emotive state through regular exercise, healthy eating and good sleep habits.

It went with the new update. That's why we don't have a $ account anymore. I don't know if MJ is intending to bring it back?
Indeed. Something I try to keep in mind when I get into a mental funk (and not the groovy James Brown or Parliament kind of funk...) is that that cruddy mindset & outlook is simply the product of a nasty biochemical cocktail swirling around my brain--literally, that's what it is.

So, depending on how severe it is for you, you might be able to reset it by getting a good night's sleep (as Scarlett O'Hara said in Gone With The Wind: "After all... tomorrow is another day."). Or exercise, meditation, venting to a friend, walking outdoors, helping someone else (which forces you to focus on someone other than yourself), etc.

Adelaide

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
May 16, 2019
Adelaide, South Australia
I read 'Peaks and Valleys' - a very short book.

"Between Peaks there are always Valleys.
How you manage your Valley determines how soon you reach your next Peak."

Eg, sometimes I feel unmotivated. The ACTIONS I take during those times determines how long I feel unmotivated.

We are ALWAYS creating our future.. so what you do right now matters.

Little things that help me too:
  • I watch motivational or educational clips on youtube.
  • I read stuff here on Fastlane.
  • I look at work I've already done (eg, Videos/Blogs I created for my business) and see how passionate I am. Reminds me of my 'why'.
  • I exercise, even if I don't want to!
Good on you for reaching out - that's step one! Recognising it!

Walter.LV

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 21, 2018
Latvia
Hey Buddy,

That's not uncommon in the line of work we do. We are going against all odds and pushing toward freedom. So yeah, I bet everyone in this forum experiences this from time to time.

What has helped me get past these episodes of complete frustration and depression (after going really hard at it for months at a time and not seeing any results) is to take a few days off the obsession.

Just do something completely unrelated to your venture. I would typically go out and let myself have some fun for a weekend. Just find a way to completely (and I mean 100% forget about the thing you're trying to build.) Whenever you're enjoying yourself and you have that pesky thought about the biz, just say no, now it's my time off.

What happens is you release all that negative energy and most of the times towards the end you get hit by this huge revelation. All of a sudden you just see everything so clearly, what you have to do next and everything just falls into place.

But to get to that revelation, first, you have to completely let go of the obsession. Go out with some friends (if you don't have any go out alone or with some acquaintances.) Have some fun and forget about the thing you want to build completely. Let go of that obsession. And once you reach that level of stress-free enjoyment, your subconscious is going to give you that next step you have to take to reach your goals.

Juhas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
May 22, 2019
Poland
Thank you all for pieces of advice. Now, I will finish preparing my items to Amazon FBA and then get some time off. I will also:
- try to do some excercises
- try meditation
- more relax and time for myself (get time off) - just do nothing about my business for some days.
- talk to a doctor (yeah, I think that is what I really need nowadays)
- meet my friends more often.

Thank you all for response! :)

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
My granddad's answer was always, "Are you getting enough roughage (what we call fiber now)? I've figured out I have seasonal depression from Daylight Savings Time through February much like our host. I tough it out and do what I have to to get through. Now I learned I just need to move.

QUOTE="luniac, post: 787258, member: 13251"]
im deadass look into Zhan Zhuang it will change your life
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOp7wPtE6qA

also the book
The Way of Energy

theres free pdf on google if u search, won't post link here.

Standing meditation woke up my morale after years of burnout, it transforms you from within, awakens your inner energy and cultivates your spirit. its like magic.
[/QUOTE]

If I don't get out and move my mood crashes into ADHD and Depression within three days. The worst thing about depression is you never figure out you are in it until you are coming out of it, but that is good news for you @Juhas as you should be coming out of it!

I also suspect you are suffering from some fear on your next course of action for your business. Will I do it wrong? What if they laugh at me? What if I get yelled at for bugging someone? Can I handle all the work this might mean for me?

1. So what, do better next time. 2. Learn from the error and correct it as soon as you can. 3. They might, but so what? Are they just jealous? 4. Go bug the next guy until you find the right guy. 5. Maybe not, but don't you want to find out?
(Yes, these are all real fears of mine and I have many more. I'm working through them...)

Now I need just need to get Wang Chung to stop singing "Everybody Chi Chung Tonight" out of my head.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.