The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Money Buys Happiness

Kid Money

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 1, 2012
Well if you want PROOF about the 60,000 myth then listen up. I for example made more than that and I still want more and more and it still makes me happy... Your telling me that if you looked at your bank acct and it said 1,000,000 you wouldn't care as much because someone told you about the 70,000 rule? Get real people. The day I go and BUY my gallardo I will be one happySOB. could I get that gallardo without money? No! I think money to happiness is subjective but for the most part people who say it doesn't buy you happiness are probably broke... Also the lamest statement I have ever heard is that " I know millionaires who are miserable"... DUH, I bet every single person on this planet can name 10 miserable people... Rich or not.....lol

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid Money

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 1, 2012
Lights- I would rather be old and ugly and lived a great life in the sun on a yacht, then sit inside my house out of the sun trying to "look" young only to get hit by a bus one day....

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Lights- I would rather be old and ugly and lived a great life in the sun on a yacht, then sit inside my house out of the sun trying to "look" young only to get hit by a bus one day....

It's subjective. I could argue, I rather leave behind a beautiful corpse, I could party all night long/sleep all day.

Literally, my room has thick blankets shading me from the sun, and I wear SPF zinc on my face inside/outside. I avoid the sun in my daily life as much as I can, plus I just hate it. Let's not even get into my skin care techniques.... I could write a book about the chemical peels I do, the Retin A, I drink a gallon of water. I am going to look hot for very long time. The copper peptides... I am better than any dermatologist when it comes to my skin.

But I have to stay hot, my life depends on it. Old and decayed is not for me. This is what makes me happy. This is not you, and so MONEY doesn't bring everyone happiness. I am not going to be 45 yrs old crying that I look old, no I am going to laugh at all the ugly faces with my wealth. When I go to my high school reunions I am going to look at all their wrinkled faces, and it's going to be like, "Wow you're trap in time... you look the same". Well I deserve to look the same.

---

Then there's the supplements I take to keep my mind young; piracetam, omega 3 pills, the caloric restrictions..... Vampire. Excercise is good too, so I am adding that to my regime, but it's not anti-aging just good health.

Good Health is worth more than a Million Bucks. Ask any rich old man in his wheelchair as he mumbles about 1965. It's hilarious.

I am very selfish person, indeed.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
Lights, we're going a bit off topic, but scientists now all agree that not getting enough sun is much worse than getting a lot of sun. If you really avoid getting any sunlight exposure your vitamin D (particularly D3) level will most probably be dangerously low. A lack of vitamin D3 poses a serious risk for your health, not in the last place your heart health.

Now, on topic.
In my opinion money as such does not bring happiness, but it buys the freedom to pursue happiness.

thatsonlyme

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 22, 2012
Chi-Town
It's subjective. I could argue, I rather leave behind a beautiful corpse, I could party all night long/sleep all day.

Literally, my room has thick blankets shading me from the sun, and I wear SPF zinc on my face inside/outside. I avoid the sun in my daily life as much as I can, plus I just hate it. Let's not even get into my skin care techniques.... I could write a book about the chemical peels I do, the Retin A, I drink a gallon of water. I am going to look hot for very long time. The copper peptides... I am better than any dermatologist when it comes to my skin.

But I have to stay hot, my life depends on it. Old and decayed is not for me. This is what makes me happy. This is not you, and so MONEY doesn't bring everyone happiness. I am not going to be 45 yrs old crying that I look old, no I am going to laugh at all the ugly faces with my wealth. When I go to my high school reunions I am going to look at all their wrinkled faces, and it's going to be like, "Wow you're trap in time... you look the same". Well I deserve to look the same.

---

Then there's the supplements I take to keep my mind young; piracetam, omega 3 pills, the caloric restrictions..... Vampire. Excercise is good too, so I am adding that to my regime, but it's not anti-aging just good health.

Good Health is worth more than a Million Bucks. Ask any rich old man in his wheelchair as he mumbles about 1965. It's hilarious.

I am very selfish person, indeed.

you're forgetting that sun exposure is natural way for your body to create vitamin D which is waaaay better than taking supplements or god forbid vitamin D fortified milk. avoiding sun exposure is a bit extreme imho and it doesn't guarantee that you'll be healthy and forever young. to each his own, if that makes you happy go for it.

but I digress.

I don't think that money can buy happiness but not having any will definitely make you unhappy. from my personal experience, past few years have been very unfortunate for me and now I'm basically working just to pay my bills. it's a struggle, I work a lot, don't have much time and I can't say that I'm happy. where is my threshold of happiness? probably somewhere around 60K. I know because that's how much my ex girlfriend and I were making years back and we were extremely happy! of course, if we had more money we would've been even happier because we wouldn't have to work or we'd work less and spend more time enjoying our life. 60K was enough to pay our bills, decent apartment in Chicago, a car I always wanted paid in cash, some money put on the side and plenty of time to travel and enjoy the life together. we never cared about expensive hotels, we preferred to randomly decide when to stop and where to spend the night, even if it was just a cheap motel. we mostly traveled by car not because we couldn't afford airfare but because that's what we wanted to do. we dined wherever we wanted to, never cared about how expensive some restaurants were. our roadtrips were spontaneous, random and priceless! some of the happiest moments in our life were free. like unforgettable, totally random and unexpected night in central park NYC, january, freezing cold, we were walking, the park was deserted, suddenly it started snowing, dimmed street lights, no footprints in the snow, muffled sounds of a sleeping city in the distance... I can't find the words to describe it but everything about that night became so surreal and in those 20-30 minutes we both experienced happiness like never before, absolute nirvana. that is something no money can buy and having too much money could prevent from ever happening (because people with that much money would probably be enjoying muai thai somewhere in hawaii instead of walking in central park in freezing cold weather). I'd give a fortune if I could go back in time and experience it one more time.
my goal has never been getting rich, just having financial security and plenty of free time. my bare minimum is having enough money to pay my bills, and not having to worry about spending money for my travels. turns out that 60K is just enough for that. of course having more would give me more opportunities to travel and do other things I love but that's just because I know what makes me happy and more money wouldn't change the way I look at things. for example, more money could put me in the first class but I really don't care about it so instead of traveling first class I would travel more often.
it's late and I'm rambling... good night

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
^ Do you have kids to raise? If you do, then I can understand why you are struggling. If you don't... then you are probably living above your means. I don't own a vehicle, since that's way expensive/on gas too. Be creative, and you'll get by.

I get enough Vitamin D when my *chemical* sunscreen isn't strongly applied. I take a multivitamin pill with it too.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
More accurate to say that money buys temporary happiness. Stay in the Ritz for a year or two and your happiness will decline towards baseline within that timeframe.

this is what's known in microeconomics as the indifference curve. the more you get of something, the less and less happy you are with it.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
I've had times where money is plentiful and times when money is scarce. While money may not buy happiness is does eliminate the stresses that detract from happiness therefore I am always happier with money.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
I've had times where money is plentiful and times when money is scarce. While money may not buy happiness is does eliminate the stresses that detract from happiness therefore I am always happier with money.

The lack of money can motivate you for great success...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Looking "hot" is relative. My wife, tan on the beach in her young 40's is hot. I am not one for the pasty look, enhanced by skin solutions and vitamin suppliments. However, there's irony in that everything you listed to make you happy... costs money. Without money, you wouldn't have all of the additives, blankets and skin creams it takes to make you happy.

For some reason, acknowledging something so fundamentally simple goes against what we all have been conditioned to.

Money buys happiness. I don't even think there is an indifference curve regarding wealth until you hit the BILLIONS. Even then, money buys happiness and the complete loss of the money you have would cause a loss of happiness. I don't think the happiness quotient ever wanes. The happiness with the things you BUY might wane, but the comfort that leads to happiness that money buys doesn't wane.

Have you ever tasted the good life? Have you ridden in an exotic car with the wind in your hair in the tropics? Have you had a glass of Dom on New Years Eve? Have you taken a helicopter ride through a rain forest under a cloud blanket? Have you relaxed poolside at a 5***** resort while waiters brought you drinks?

There is simply no argument to be made that some homeless guy in Seattle can ever be as happy as someone dining on caviar at the 4 Seasons. It is virtually impossible for the homeless guy to be as happy as the guy without a care in the world. The homeless guy needs to worry about where he will sleep, where he will find his next meal, and what he will wear. The multimillionaire only need worry about what time his tennis match is.

Money buys happiness. Deniers either never had money or are stuck in the brain washing that the feel good, equal opportunity culture has attempted to ingrain in all of us.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
BUT money can RENT happiness by the hour and her name is Candy

as the saying goes, "if if flys, floats or f##ks, rent it"

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Well if you're talking straight up $0 then you cannot buy those items (buy retin A for your wife and you will thank me later!... trust me, if she hasn't have that already). "Hot" is relative, but it's not THAT relative. To most people, a 20 yr old is better looking than a 40 yr old (except Brad Pitt and Madonna... but that's my opinion, and that's because I like them as human beings)

I do not need those things to be happy. What is this good life? I had men pay for my dinners, at fancy restaurants. That doesn't make me happy, all I keep thinking, "What else can I get from this retard". I had a guy willing to pay for my college to live with him in his state (he was a law-student), I had guys asking for my marriage (one turn out to be a dud, and another turned out to be too weird).

Then I went for the college dream... for my family, which was an utter mistake since I could enjoy my youth while I have it. I am going to live what I had last yr, and I am going to get to my business. What makes me happy doesn't make you happy. Being idolize, worship... Money can't buy that. Beauty is mostly genetic, and a little bit of maintenance. But that's subjective. Most people don't need this worship and idolization like they are some demi-god from Mount Olympus, well I do. When I went homeless, I had a guy buy me a motel room (he left immediately just felt sorry for me). I got a bf as quick as I could.

Let's not get into my personal life too much, without my youth, I couldn't get a taste of this good life. If I was ugly, I would be on the streets REALLY struggling.

So money doesn't buy you the rich life. Beauty can give you that too.

I want real capital and I have erotic capital. I want the fastlane too, or else I wouldn't be here. None of these experiences are enough for me. I want the world. I want millions in my bank. Not because I can enjoy trips, but because I am GREEDY. I want to show-off and be better than most people.

I envision going homeless to lose weight, to live the wild life of running to club to club, oh the men I will date with all my free time. My homelessness isn't what an average person homelessness would be like.

I'm not saying I am some supermodel. I do the best I can do with what I got, a lot of it is charm....

---

You ask me if I had a taste of the good life. This is based on my perspective, so no, money doesn't bring me happiness with those things. My idolatry does...that's happiness... for ME . If I lost my looks, it goes downhill for me. So my blankets do help me in the long-run. With millions of dollars in my bank, I am just an inflated egomaniac, but that's not happiness... happiness is only a mirror away

thatsonlyme

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 22, 2012
Chi-Town
^ Do you have kids to raise? If you do, then I can understand why you are struggling. If you don't... then you are probably living above your means. I don't own a vehicle, since that's way expensive/on gas too. Be creative, and you'll get by.

I get enough Vitamin D when my *chemical* sunscreen isn't strongly applied. I take a multivitamin pill with it too.

I don't have any kids and I've always lived within my means, sometimes unexpected things happen though. my formula for living within means (for a couple, when I was single I had a studio and very low expenses) was always something like this: one salary has to cover all our bills including food, car and all other daily expenses. other salary is for savings, vacations and all everything else. never charge anything on a credit card if you can't pay it right off, getting a car loan is fine as long as you have enough cash to buy it out right. this of course applies to couples who decided to commingle their assets which doesn't seem to be very common nowadays.
this formula worked for me very well, even when my wife got sick and lost her job I knew we would be able to get by because my income was enough to cover our bills, plus we had some money saved and a decent limit on credit cards. however, even the best safety net will fail if you put to much pressure on it, and that's exactly what happened to me. a failed business attempt made a dent in our savings, I spent more time visiting her at hospitals than working, some other things have perfectly aligned with all this and over the course of two years or so everything went to hell. savings gone, credit cards maxed out... when I look back at all this, my biggest mistake was trying to stay on top of my credit card bills.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
I don't have any kids and I've always lived within my means, sometimes unexpected things happen though. my formula for living within means (for a couple, when I was single I had a studio and very low expenses) was always something like this: one salary has to cover all our bills including food, car and all other daily expenses. other salary is for savings, vacations and all everything else. never charge anything on a credit card if you can't pay it right off, getting a car loan is fine as long as you have enough cash to buy it out right. this of course applies to couples who decided to commingle their assets which doesn't seem to be very common nowadays.
this formula worked for me very well, even when my wife got sick and lost her job I knew we would be able to get by because my income was enough to cover our bills, plus we had some money saved and a decent limit on credit cards. however, even the best safety net will fail if you put to much pressure on it, and that's exactly what happened to me. a failed business attempt made a dent in our savings, I spent more time visiting her at hospitals than working, some other things have perfectly aligned with all this and over the course of two years or so everything went to hell. savings gone, credit cards maxed out... when I look back at all this, my biggest mistake was trying to stay on top of my credit card bills.

Sorry to hear that.

I didn't know she was your wife as well. I just thought you were a single man (with a girlfriend). It's tough when you have those circumstances.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
If I lost my looks, it goes downhill for me.

That may be one of the most depressing things I have read on the forum. You should seriously consider some counseling. I say this in all honesty.

thatsonlyme

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 22, 2012
Chi-Town
Sorry to hear that.

I didn't know she was your wife as well. I just thought you were a single man (with a girlfriend). It's tough when you have those circumstances.

I re-read my posts and realized how confusing they are lol. I was half asleep when i wrote them so that's probably why. In my first post I talked about my ex, how happy we were with only 60K, life was good. Now I'm married and because of my wife's condition we're struggling. Financially I'd be much better off alone but you don't choose who do you fall in love with and although financial troubles and her health condition are impeding our happiness I'm determined to make things better. In the esence, my point was, it's hard to be happy when you're barely surviving, but you don't have to be a millionaire to experience happiness. More money can only give you more opportunities to be happy but it doesn't guarantee happiness.
On the positive side, this situation has taught me to more appreciate my health and I'm learning how to manage my money better, hustle better and stand up for myself.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Well if you're talking straight up $0 then you cannot buy those items (buy retin A for your wife and you will thank me later!... trust me, if she hasn't have that already). "Hot" is relative, but it's not THAT relative. To most people, a 20 yr old is better looking than a 40 yr old (except Brad Pitt and Madonna... but that's my opinion, and that's because I like them as human beings)

Ah for me it was always about the 30 somethings. When I was 20 I dated 30 somethings, when I was 30 same thing.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
Ah for me it was always about the 30 somethings. When I was 20 I dated 30 somethings, when I was 30 same thing.

Being 30 can give you a rugged look, for a man at least. I love Brad Pitt around the age of 30-40.

Odd to say, I dreamt of him as a vampire 2 days ago, long hair and all.... such a sexy dream. We were in a fantasy land of rooms, and a bunch of bedrooms. Just cuddling...... and I don't normally like long hair men. I like my men strong and built like horses.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
No it doesn't buy happiness and "stuff" for lack of a better word gets old.

Personally I find that as I acquire a bit of money now, stuff that I thought would make me happy doesn't. For example a few years ago I thought the best thing in the world would be to buy an expensive car. Now that I could plunk down cash for one its nice, but just a meh thing. Being able to go fishing with my dad, or shooting with my buddies is far more enjoyable.

OTOH the freedom is quite nice. If my buddy calls me from his school in Omaha on a Thursday and says hey you want to come out this weekend? Its nice to be able to say pick me up at the airport tomorrow afternoon.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
I read each of your posts, and appreciate the insight from each. One of the most salient points is that happiness changes like an emotion. There's an ebb and flow.

My premise is simple. On any given day, I am happier when I have 1k in my wallet than if I had zero in my wallet and bills to pay. I am happier with zero debt (definitely interlinked to cash flow). I absolutely am happier when I can afford to drink Pellegrino, eat sushi, and drink Mai Tais than if I couldn't. One of the biggest rushes in the world is to give away money. I had an amazing experience a few weeks ago in that regard... but I had to have the money to begin with in order to give it away.

Money is part of identity, whether we like to acknowledge that or not. Where you work, where you live, what you drive, how you dress, what you eat, what you give... these are all superficial aspects of identity but part of identity none the less. Hidden wealth is one of the coolest aspects of wealth - when you don't allow people to judge you by your material possessions by downplaying them intentionally. However, every single one of us assesses others in part because of these superficial aspects of identity.

We talk in this forum, for example, about posers. People driving luxury cars that are not paid for. That wanna be lifestyle is part of that person's identity. Traveling the world after cashing in of a fastlane business becomes part of your identity. Living on Maui... becomes part of your identity.

You can give me spiritual, intellectual, and slowlane arguments that advocate the virtue of happiness absent of money, and I can agree with you. There's an argument to be made for a fisherman in Uganda who has never had a dollar in his life, and never had a single possession. That guy can absolutely be content/happy. I have learned to be content in all circumstances.

I have a friend whose little girl is terminal. I have encouraged them to raise as much as money as possible for research and clinical trials. Money buys access to uncommon resources, and access that they could otherwise not get to the best research minds in the country. Even in cases of tremendous grief and sadness and difficulty (such as illness) money provides for a better navigable control of that situation than if you had none. The hypothetical ability to trade money for health doesn't exist... (ask Steve Jobs)... but it provides better comfort, better information, and better medicine than the absence of money. Money can make the afflicted happier.

There's a fundamental and universal fact that money enables you to eliminate stresses that those without it are required to endure. I would be happier on a yacht in the Pacific ocean watching dolphins play than I would sitting in a slum in New York City. The yacht increases my happiness, and requires money.

Money provides peace of mind, eliminates stresses, and enhances enjoyment of things in life that contribute to happiness.

Just came across this awesome thread. I don't know how many times I heard the "money can't buy happiness" phrase.. from my grandma, my parents and other family members and friends. In my opinion it is just a sentence to make the fact that they don't have a lot money more pleasant. I mean why in the world are they saying this, when they are playing the lottery every week? If money can't make you happy why should they hope that they win millions? That doesn't make sense, it only makes sense if you see the real reason behind this famous phrase: they are jealous of the people who have money and try to make the fact that they don't have a lot money more pleasant, instead of trying to get rich themselves.

When someone tells me this phrase I'm just saying "oh ok, but poorness makes people happy huh?" or "but sitting 40 years on a desk working for someone else makes people happy?"

But I think you have to learn to ignore shit like that, it's hard to convince people who were conditioned to believe this bs for years. I don't waste my time and energy on topics like this anymore, they know my opinion and I won't go into hour-long discussions anymore.

Rethagos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 25, 2014
Poland
The root of unhapiness is fear.
Uncertainty of future, fear of illness or death, dependence and lack of control over various aspects of life, etc.
Money helps to alleviate those fears. That is pretty much similar to "buying happiness".

The means, however, of attaining said money... this one is a different story.
Same goes for the way of using it.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
WSJ: Can Money Buy Happiness?

Forbes: Money Does Buy Happiness New Study Says

I just took a drive along the Northwest shore of Maui with my son.

We checked out the private residences at the Ritz Carlton in Kapalua, Maui.

And I conclude and propose to you that whom ever says that money doesn't buy happiness...

never tasted it much less possessed it.

I can conclusively and factually say that someone living in some shit hole in downtown Detroit in the middle of winter will never be as happy as I will be living in a debt free penthouse on the northern coast of Maui. The ONLY differentiating factor in that equation is money.

Money buys happiness.

"They say money doesn't buy happiness? Look at the smile on my face. Ear-to-ear, baby."

Americans have a schizophrenic perspective on money. On one hand, we practice true capitalism, and practically invented the phrase "make money." Yet, many of us adhere to a moral code that characterizes the love of money as the root of all evil.

If money does not "buy" happiness, then why do the winners of a game show jump for joy when they win the big cash prize?

Whenever someone tells me that money doesn't buy happiness, a sarcastic voice in my head says: Huh, THAT must be why people who win the lottery become so depressed, the MOMENT they win.

Other than money, no other inanimate object gets such a bad rap. A stack of cash has no soul, just like a teddy bear. Yet, no one says "teddy bears don't bring happiness."

The people who claim that money does not "buy" happiness don' seem too interested in phrasing their position accurately. As others have pointed out in this thread, happiness is an ephemeral emotional state, one the comes and goes, ebbs and flows.

That said, all else equal, I prefer having money over not having money. It is pretty tough to feel down in the dumps when you live in a penthouse and wake up to waves crashing on the shore.

Besides, the real joy of money - at least the type described in the OP - is money of the highest order.
@Vigilante isn't talking about money won in the lottery, or inherited (via the genetics lottery) from a rich relative. It is money made from one's own intellect, money made in a way that most people cannot make it. For the hustler, a fully fulfilled life comes from the generation of ideas that affect the real world. Society rewards the hustler with money when the hustler impacts the world in a positive way. The money he makes may afford him security and buy him things, but the true source of the happiness comes from the objective and irrefutable proof that he met and fulfilled the needs of his fellow man. You can lose money, but no one can ever take away the affect you have on the world.

Last edited:

vitality11

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Sep 12, 2015
OK
I think the point is to make a ton of money first and then make a conclusion whether money did buy happiness for you or it did not.
If you are not rich yourself and have not experienced wealth, then you don't know if money buys happiness.

One thing I know for sure, health is important and has a direct effect on your happiness levels.
Well, to be healthy, nutrition is important. Steaks/Veggies/Salads/Quality Water - that all costs money.

If you look good, you feel good. Well, to look good, it does take money. Obviously, you can save and shop smart but quality materials cost money.

Most of all, the more you have, the more you can give.
You won't think about buying someone dinner if you are clipping coupons yourself.
You won't think about organizing a book drive for kids if you are thinking about the argument you've just had with your family.

Generally, if you have any external problems that you did not choose yourself, it makes you more selfish.
(example:
Doing ENT is a positive challenge - you chose it and embrace the "problems"
VERSUS Not having enough money and not being able to buy your mother a nice cruise trip - that is a problem that you have and it can bother you.)

Money eliminates a lot of problems, makes you think less of the problems, when you think less of the problems you have - you get a chance to think about someone else's problems...and maybe help!

OscarDeuce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Virginia
One thing I know for sure, health is important and has a direct effect on your happiness levels.
Well, to be healthy, nutrition is important. Steaks/Veggies/Salads/Quality Water - that all costs money.

Not only food, but here in the USA with our for profit medical system, money really does buy health.

Cheers,
O-2

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
CBD766D3-E89B-47B5-8E80-3330033FA399.jpeg When this is your hotel room (for now) but your motivation to scale your next one even bigger so you can just buy the life permanently...

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
It really depends. Money only enhances your traits.

It can either eliminate problems or create new ones.

When I was over in South East Asia, I noticed the people there literally had nothing but were some of the happiest people I had ever met.

I've met people who make 6-figures or more and are still depressed.

One guy told me if he didn't make 40k/month he'd kill himself.

I've met millionaires who have had poor relationships or couldn't keep a girl to save his life and became depressed. (Elon Musk always posting about how he's still lonely on Twitter for example. Twice divorced already to the same woman lol. Steve Jobs was always bothered by the fact that he never knew his biological father)

To me money is opportunity. It allows me to do the things that I want to do. I want to travel all over Europe. I want to go to Japan. I want to go to every music festival in the world. I want to build a charitable foundation for Diabetes research. I want to ski in Washington/Colorado during the winter. I want to surf in Hawaii/California every summer. I want my 1970 Dodge Challenger. I can't do any of this without money.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Simple pleasure...

We have a "reverse osmosis" system at home so I've had no reason to buy bottled water for the last few years.

A few days ago, I asked myself why I give a damn about not drinking bottled water like it was some kind of wasteful expense. I enjoy it. It's convenient. So I went to Costco and bought 3 of cases of Perrier. A simple pleasure and probably 20-30 bucks a month to me.

My next "I shouldn't be acting poor" item is lasik. I don't like sticking my fingers in my eyes and my glasses bug me so I walk around nearsighted a lot.

Last edited:

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
whom ever says that money doesn't buy happiness...

I would like to meet these people who say that... but they are working.....

A quote from Francisco's Money Speech in Atlas Shrugged

"Money will not purchase happiness for the man who has no concept of what he wants: money will not give him a code of values, if he's evaded the knowledge of what to value, and it will not provide him with a purpose, if he's evaded the choice of what to seek. Money will not buy intelligence for the fool, or admiration for the coward, or respect for the incompetent."

It really depends. Money only enhances your traits.

I don't remember who wrote it. Money magnifies your traits.

If you are nice without much money then you are nicer with more money.

If you are an a**hole without money, you are even greater one with more money.

I have a real-life example from a slowlane. My friend got an excellent job. Very well-paid. But is still the same insecure person he was without money. Just has better toys i.e. cars.

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
Happiness is a dynamic that changes based on circumstances. Circumstances can either be in our control or out of our control. Fastlane principles state that we try to gain happiness by increasing circumstances in our control. The more we control, the more leverage we have. The more leverage we have, the happier we can become. Money breeds control. So yes, money can 'buy' happiness if you think about it logically.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I hate when people try to soften the edge of "money buys happiness" because it sounds bad. Because its taboo.

Honestly, money makes you a better person overall. Why? Because by nature making money means you are probably providing value and jobs to many.

The actual money itself? It's a lifeless object. It doesn't amplify traits. It's fiat. You are still subject to your own decisions. Your decisions are still what make you who you are.

Personally I'm not afraid to admit that I'm happier when more money is coming in. That means my work is paying off. It means I can enjoy more of what I work hard for.

"Money doesn't buy happiness"
-Jealous douche without any.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.