The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MJ's 4 Conditions: The Definitive Guide on WHEN to Quit Your Job...

Pretty Girl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 4, 2023
Bump, I pulled this out of an older thread in which it was buried. This topic deserves its own thread and highlight since I see (and read) a lot of people making mistakes in quitting their job, for no other reason than, "I loved your book."

I hate to be the impetus for a poor, emotional decision.
ah that's the opportunity right there. If anyone can find a way to solve his "Hate" then you can get money out of his pocket to yours :D

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DonyaSze

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 17, 2024
This is an excellent post that people should see.

EmotionEngine

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 15, 2020
United States
This is an excellent post that people should see.
Fortunately for me, I got laid off. I got the "quit" I needed to start. I saw this post last year and waited because I felt something coming with prior company layoffs happening over a course of a year. So it worked out. Quitting sooner would have been more disastrous.

TempusFugit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 6, 2024
As I wrote in The Great Rat Race Escape ...

A lot of people here ask when to quit their job.

I also get a lot of people (sadly) that read my book and they write me, saying their first "action" is to quit their job.

They do this haphazardly without any business skills, no business idea, and no revenue.

This also can be said for dropping out of University.

Quitting a job, or dropping out of college, is often is a MISTAKE.

My basic recommendation?

Don’t quit your job (or drop college) unless you’ve got the following four guidelines met.
  1. Existing sales with adequate profit margins. Are you repeatedly selling? Is there a nominal enough of a profit that can pay your bills, much less, change your life?
  2. Do you have at least a six-month runway (cash flow) to pay your bills while adopting a frugal lifestyle? This can be reduced to three months pending the answer to #3 and scale.
  3. Scale and growth potential. Can revenue 10X within the next twelve months? Is your job preventing you from 10X'n your revenues and profit? What systems need to be in place to go 10X?
  4. Evidence of a productocracy. Are people recommending your business/service/product? Are people reordering? Have competitors entered the market and taken market share? Has your offer demonstrated longevity?
Obviously the above is just my generalized advice. One size does not fit all. Some can quit on a wing-and-a-prayer and succeed.

Most cannot.

I hate to be the source of someone's impetuous emotional choice...

Remember this...

QUITTING YOUR JOB is an event (99% masses thinking)
STARTING A PROFITABLE BUSINESS is a process (1% Unscripted thinking).
Happy I saw this.
After reading TMF and now reading through Unscripted and TGRRE , I have had this question bouncing around in my brain of when to quit my current job. I figured I needed to meet the criteria you said, but I was still unsure of when exactly to do so.
Since I'm an engineer who has only passed his FE and is working towards his PE, I figured that I should quit once I take and pass my PE exam in order to get my engineering license (which is in about 3 years). Then if I were to do any business engineering-wise in the future, I would have the necessary qualifications to do so. However, I will also make sure I have accomplished all of the above questions.
It sucks that I have to wait until I get my PE license to do anything engineering-wise on my own, but unfortunately in the engineering world (especially in the structural world), you kinda need that title to do things like make calculations and create drawings for structures stamped by you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.