The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MJ's 4 Conditions: The Definitive Guide on WHEN to Quit Your Job...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
As I wrote in The Great Rat Race Escape ...

A lot of people here ask when to quit their job.

I also get a lot of people (sadly) that read my book and they write me, saying their first "action" is to quit their job.

They do this haphazardly without any business skills, no business idea, and no revenue.

This also can be said for dropping out of University.

Quitting a job, or dropping out of college, is often is a MISTAKE.

My basic recommendation?

Don’t quit your job (or drop college) unless you’ve got the following four guidelines met.
  1. Existing sales with adequate profit margins. Are you repeatedly selling? Is there a nominal enough of a profit that can pay your bills, much less, change your life?
  2. Do you have at least a six-month runway (cash flow) to pay your bills while adopting a frugal lifestyle? This can be reduced to three months pending the answer to #3 and scale.
  3. Scale and growth potential. Can revenue 10X within the next twelve months? Is your job preventing you from 10X'n your revenues and profit? What systems need to be in place to go 10X?
  4. Evidence of a productocracy. Are people recommending your business/service/product? Are people reordering? Have competitors entered the market and taken market share? Has your offer demonstrated longevity?
Obviously the above is just my generalized advice. One size does not fit all. Some can quit on a wing-and-a-prayer and succeed.

Most cannot.

I hate to be the source of someone's impetuous emotional choice...

Remember this...

QUITTING YOUR JOB is an event (99% masses thinking)
STARTING A PROFITABLE BUSINESS is a process (1% Unscripted thinking).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
  • Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump, I pulled this out of an older thread in which it was buried. This topic deserves its own thread and highlight since I see (and read) a lot of people making mistakes in quitting their job, for no other reason than, "I loved your book."

I hate to be the impetus for a poor, emotional decision.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
279%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany

I also get a lot of people (sadly) that read my book and they write me, saying their first "action" is to quit their job.

They do this haphazardly without any business skills, no business idea, and no revenue.

This often is a MISTAKE.

My basic recommendation?

Don’t quit your job unless you’ve got the following four guidelines met.
  1. Existing sales with adequate profit margins. Are you repeatedly selling? Is there a nominal enough of a profit that can pay your bills, much less, change your life?
  2. Do you have at least a six-month runway (cash flow) to pay your bills while adopting a frugal lifestyle? This can be reduced to three months pending the answer to #3 and scale.
  3. Scale and growth potential. Can revenue 10X within the next twelve months? Is your job preventing you from 10X'n your revenues and profit? What systems need to be in place to go 10X?
  4. Evidence of a productocracy. Are people recommending your business/service/product? Are people reordering? Have competitors entered the market and taken market share? Has your offer demonstrated longevity?
Obviously the above is just my generalized advice. One size does not fit all. Some can quit on a wing-and-a-prayer and succeed.

Most cannot.

Remember this...

I think the same applies for school (at least in countries where it doesn't force you into debt).
I see so many young wannabe entrepreneurs talking about quitting school. I am going to finish my a levels because 1. It's free in Germany and 2. I don't have anything to show for just yet.

Peter Abrahamian

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 22, 2020

My basic recommendation?

Don’t quit your job (or drop college) unless you’ve got the following four guidelines met.

Most cannot.

Remember this...

I 100% agree with you. Students can make college worthwhile by studying something in demand and that would also give you a specialized skill. For example, I decided to switch from Economics to Computer Science. I will have a better job with a great work/life balance + a skill that can help me in my FASTLANE pursuits. But if you insist on not going into STEM-related fields and instead want to study liberal art degrees like "Gender Studies," then maybe you have a point in not going to college.

b.stod

unplugged unscriptee
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Oct 29, 2022
United States

My basic recommendation?

Most cannot.

Remember this...

Good stuff

Mkandre

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Mar 15, 2020
Belo Horizonte, Brazil
I think the same applies for school (at least in countries where it doesn't force you into debt).
I see so many young wannabe entrepreneurs talking about quitting school. I am going to finish my a levels because 1. It's free in Germany and 2. I don't have anything to show for just yet.
Hi Henry, how are you?

I'm also studying at a German university and, although I had to choose a private one in order to pursue my bachelor's degree 100% in English, I still pay about €100 euros per month, which is just a symbolic value for me, basically free.

Last edited:

Mkandre

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Mar 15, 2020
Belo Horizonte, Brazil
By the way, I advise my friends to study in countries where it's free or very cheap, like Brazil, Portugal, Spain, Germany, and the Netherlands. You can even study fully in English with a very cheap tuition fee (90-350 euros/month) at a German distance-learning university of applied sciences. They all tend to be more or less the same, are state accredited, and, thus, are of very good quality too. In fact, that's exactly what I'm doing at the moment.

Last edited:

Mikeyyy

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Sep 17, 2022

My basic recommendation?

Most cannot.

Remember this...

I use my job as something to pay my bills and rent. Any surplus cash I get it either used to invest in my business or myself.

Boubou

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 21, 2022
Hello, I am a self-employed entrepreneur, I combine my profit with my activity as a self-employed entrepreneur that I invest in my business to start its activity and also relaunch its activity. It is necessary to be strategic before leaving your job or studies.

Stepan

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Sep 17, 2022
Russia
Thank you, MJ, appreciate it :) Was just thinking about dropping out, but didn't know what to do after, going to job that will consume even more time? But now you gave us all the answer, thanks again :smile2:

Richmum

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 4, 2020
Cameroon
Je fais partie les gens qui ont abandonné leurs études après la lecture de votre premier livre qui m'a tant inspiré. Je me suis lancé dans un business qui ne respectent pas les cinq commandement de l'auto-route (CENTS ). Cependant à partir de maintenant je vais changer de direction et m'engager dans un processus de production de la valeur utiles pour les autres. Merci beaucoup MJ pour ce précieux conseils

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022

My basic recommendation?

Most cannot.

Remember this...

Thanks, very claryfing!

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
I quit my job and leave my hometown after reading TMF . I left without saying goodbye. But, I didn't quit for the purpose of starting a business.

I needed rest and self-reflection. I didn't managed to do that much after my breakup and the death of someone I consider as my father. Of which happened at the same time.

I use that time to read and think. A lot. The hardest thing and the biggest impact I had was transitioning from an employee to employer mindset.

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022
I quit my job and leave my hometown after reading TMF . I left without saying goodbye. But, I didn't quit for the purpose of starting a business.

I needed rest and self-reflection. I didn't managed to do that much after my breakup and the death of someone I consider as my father. Of which happened at the same time.

I use that time to read and think. A lot. The hardest thing and the biggest impact I had was transitioning from an employee to employer mindset

How is it doing so far?

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
How is it doing so far?
Sadly, I'm still broke. I'm now trying to get clients for live streaming service. But, before anyone tries to justify that I should hold my job, here's a story.

I didn't go back to the full-time workforce after quitting my job. So I cleaned shit, climbed roofs, carried metal scraps, fixed computers, just to get the essentials taken care of. My first business that I really really was able to get off the ground was in the self-publishing industry. I helped a local aspiring author to published her first novel. Basically, I'm her digital marketer.

I got my first taste of passive income from Google Play Books, although it wasn't much.
I went viral on Facebook for the excerpt from the novel.
I was contacted for novel-to-fim adaptation.
Photoshop was hard. Now it's easy.
Web design was hard. Now it's not.
SEO? SMM? Ask me what's that before quitting my job. Or even during college (I took Computer Hardware and Networking). I won't have any idea.

Moving from my hometown and quitting my job was the best decision I ever made. Provided you have your FTE.

EmotionEngine

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2020
United States
I'm debating quitting so hard but I also remember the section on when to quit in Rat Race. I've been stacking up cash for months. I know MJ had $900, so I'm cheating a bit and creating a massive buffer. I have over 30x that.

When do I actually quit? lol Seems like I want to save more and more and make the pile bigger and bigger. It's almost becoming an addiction itself.

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022
Sadly, I'm still broke. I'm now trying to get clients for live streaming service. But, before anyone tries to justify that I should hold my job, here's a story.

I didn't go back to the full-time workforce after quitting my job. So I cleaned shit, climbed roofs, carried metal scraps, fixed computers, just to get the essentials taken care of. My first business that I really really was able to get off the ground was in the self-publishing industry. I helped a local aspiring author to published her first novel. Basically, I'm her digital marketer.

I got my first taste of passive income from Google Play Books, although it wasn't much.
I went viral on Facebook for the excerpt from the novel.
I was contacted for novel-to-fim adaptation.
Photoshop was hard. Now it's easy.
Web design was hard. Now it's not.
SEO? SMM? Ask me what's that before quitting my job. Or even during college (I took Computer Hardware and Networking). I won't have any idea.

Moving from my hometown and quitting my job was the best decision I ever made. Provided you have your FTE.

How are doing psychologically?

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
I mean, how do You feel ?
I feel good and grateful. Because I have the opportunity to do the work that's necessary for my success. Wether I like the work or not..

It will be a different story if I was born in a communist country. Or wherever that private ownership of business, or even your life is forbidden.

m999

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 6, 2022
Its easy to fall into this trap when you're new. Pairing excitement to quit your job along with expectations that your plan will go perfectly once you start. The reality is things will come up which will increase the investment in time and money before you see profit. And truthfully thats fine... the struggle and recalibration is part of the process. But why raise the stakes and put your mortgage/family/relationships on the line as you do it?

DreamLund

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Apr 2, 2023
Scandinavia
I'm debating quitting so hard but I also remember the section on when to quit in Rat Race. I've been stacking up cash for months. I know MJ had $900, so I'm cheating a bit and creating a massive buffer. I have over 30x that.

When do I actually quit? lol Seems like I want to save more and more and make the pile bigger and bigger. It's almost becoming an addiction itself.
I understand you

It does become addicting to constantly see money flow into the savings account.
How did it turn out for you, now one year later?

EmotionEngine

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 15, 2020
United States
I understand you

It does become addicting to constantly see money flow into the savings account.
How did it turn out for you, now one year later?
Hey! Thanks for following up! :)

I still have a nice cash pile saved up and have been paying down debts as well. I'm bringing down my student loan and car loan which are my only debts. I've just survived 2 layoffs in under 8 months at my job. The most recent was mere days ago back in June. I have a feeling strike 3 will be my out, literally. Then I can focus on executing my start up plans.

All this time I have just been working on my skills and making small projects. I'm going to show one of my projects on this forum soon. It's not execution to start my business but it's relevant to this forum. I'll try to remember tagging you in that post.

Finally, I can't wait to begin executing my plans which I've labored over in my Trello board for over a year. My FTE burns inside me and I'll let it explode when the time comes. I will post a thread on that when the time comes as well.

DreamLund

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
99%
Apr 2, 2023
Scandinavia
Hey! Thanks for following up! :)

I still have a nice cash pile saved up and have been paying down debts as well. I'm bringing down my student loan and car loan which are my only debts. I've just survived 2 layoffs in under 8 months at my job. The most recent back in June. I have a feeling strike 3 will be my out, literally. Then I can focus on executing my start up plans.

All this time I have just been working on my skills and making small projects. I'm going to show one of my projects on this forum soon. It's not execution to start my business but it's relevant to this forum. I'll try to remember tagging you in that post.

Finally, I can't wait to begin executing my plans which I've labored over in my Trello board for over a year. My FTE burns inside me and I'll let it explode when the time comes. I will post a thread on that when the time comes as well.
I love it!
Yes for sure, tag me when theres really nice progress to show off:)

Chrisrod2597

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Feb 3, 2022

My basic recommendation?

Most cannot.

Remember this...

Thank you MJ

jsc

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 27, 2023
This is a good point, but I struggle with it when you have the savings runway and a job/kids/etc that keep you busy a lot of the time and pays the bills. With everything from TMF on not trading time for money because it isn't a CENTS business, and not trading weekends for weekdays, couldn't it be a good idea to quit a job to focus on compounding knowledge and building a CENTS business instead of a more diverted life?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
couldn't it be a good idea to quit a job to focus on compounding knowledge and building a CENTS business instead of a more diverted life?

Does "compounding knowledge" put food on the table?

Bottomline, it's nearly impossible to build a CENTS business when you don't have a roof over your head and the kids are starving.

You want to build a strong building, you need a strong foundation. If the foundation isn't there, you will be facing worse odds.

Shiru wainaina

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jan 25, 2021
Thank

My basic recommendation?

Most cannot.

Remember this...

Thanks for the advice.

Syndrome

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 5, 2022
I am only 1 semester (part time) away from completing my Masters in Criminal Justice. Something I took a leave of absence for back in 2016.

I was at a crossroads but the university got back into contact saying I could keep all my previous credits and not have to start over.

Not sure what a MS in Criminal Justice would yield.

At this point, its more bugging to “not” finish something I already started. Sunk cost fallacy type of thinking i guess.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.