The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Mindset Advice

Anything related to matters of the mind

bitgiggy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 12, 2020
Japan
There is no doubt in my mind that I am entrepreneurial and what to start my own business. I am in a unique position wherein the next 6 months I can dedicate more or less 100% of my time to starting my venture.

I just can't get my head in the right place.

Every idea I come up with, I sit with for a few days, only to ask myself:

"Is this business really what I want to be doing for the next X years."

or...

"That won't work because of x reason or y reason,"

And for that reason, I just never get started.

Any tips or advice on mindset from fellow entrepreneurs? I don't want to waste this time as I won't be in this position again.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
There is no doubt in my mind that I am entrepreneurial and what to start my own business. I am in a unique position wherein the next 6 months I can dedicate more or less 100% of my time to starting my venture.

or...

Any tips or advice on mindset from fellow entrepreneurs? I don't want to waste this time as I won't be in this position again.
You aren't an entrepreneur until you actually do it. You're a "wannabe".

Who have you followed around to figure out what they are doing and how they are doing it?
What are you reading, watching, and listening to? And how much personal education are you scheduling for yourself?
What is your daily routine?
What are you doing to be accountable? Do you have a group or a partner?

Kids and employees are directed. They are told what to do, how to do it, and when to do it. Entrepreneurs do those control levers for themselves. "Wannabes" talk, talk, talk. They don't act.

So, when are you going to start????

bitgiggy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 12, 2020
Japan
Yep. I’m exactly that, a wannabe struggling to take things to the next level.

I feel like I have the building blocks, I listen to the right people and read the right things. The struggle is coming up with the concept and rolling with it.

I know I would benefit greatly from being around like minded people, I’m not currently part of any groups so that’s going to be my first priority.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I know I would benefit greatly from being around like minded people, I’m not currently part of any groups so that’s going to be my first priority.
You’re in here.

@WJK already gave you the best advice: Start.

Start by helping people, not by having ideas. And do it next week, not in six months.

Business is simple: Add value. Get paid.

The only thing you need to be in business is customers (aka people who pay you to help them).

Who you going to help this week?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
You’re in here.

Start by helping people, not by having ideas. And do it next week, not in six months.

The only thing you need to be in business is customers (aka people who pay you to help them).

Andy is correct. Start. Now. This minute. No excuses. No taking a break or a nap. Ideas are a dime a dozen. Stop thinking about it and get busy. What do you know how to do that people will pay for? How can you add value to another's life? Will they pay you a dollar for your contribution? Can you give your services away? Make something happen!

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

or...

What other business options do you have?

if you worry that “that wont work” you can generate more ideas and work on the “best candidate”.

You can have a system to generate ideas and rank them according to some standards.

Examples like is it a growing market? Do you have the industry experience? Network and relationships in the field?

At least you do not end up working on something 3 months and thinking whether something else is better. The shiny object syndrome. Once you have decided you do not have to look back.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
What ideas have you already come up with and why won’t they work?

Nick Catricala

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 24, 2017
Canada
Hey Andy, can I ask you what is that you do now to help others and how you earn a living?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey Andy, can I ask you what is that you do now to help others and how you earn a living?

Maybe listen to the first radio interview in my signature.

bitgiggy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 12, 2020
Japan
What ideas have you already come up with and why won’t they work?
I won't bore you with my excuses, just concerns over too small a market or not having the right skills to get some traction.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Go out and fail, wear your failures like a badge of honor. That is the real secret.

knazzaro710

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 20, 2020
I won't bore you with my excuses, just concerns over too small a market or not having the right skills to get some traction.

I always find the hardest part to get started. It's so easy to get wrapped in your head as to if your idea is worth it or will lead to success. As others have mentioned, the root cause of this is the fear of failure. The fear of not have a successful business, no one caring, wasting a bunch of money, and wasting valuable time. However, when you accept and acknowledge the possibility of failure, it becomes a lot less scary.

Most successful entrepreneurs did not achieve success their first, second, or even the third time. Each setback makes them stronger; and with each failure came lessons learned and new skills acquired which led to eventual success. When you begin to think of failures as future lessons instead of anxiety-provoking possibilities, a huge shift can happen between action taking and action faking.

You have to pick one idea and stick to it. Once you get started with one idea, it's a lot easier to continue and see that idea out. As Andy mentioned, focus on helping people, not on something that may seem the most lucrative. There's value in knowledge that is irreplaceable and everyone has knowledge is something that others can value from.

Being part of this community is a great first step, but the real action taking comes when you can reprogram your mind to accept and value failures instead of being afraid of them.

D

Deleted78083

Ideas are worth nothing. Everyone on earth got at least one million dollar idea one day in their lives.

The ONLY difference between those that got the actual million $ and those that did not, is this:

EXECUTION

Choose an idea, sit down, write a step-by-step plan, proceed to first step, then proceed to the second step, then repeat to the next step until you wake up one day wondering why you're paying so much taxes....

Can't focus on a big plan?

START SMALL

I had a huge mindset problem, so I started with a wordpress blog. I wrote one article that nobody read and enjoyed it, so I wrote a second one. Now, I have written over 120 articles and am slowly moving towards getting published.

Is this fastlane? No.

It's fastlane education. It taught me that someone as insignificant as I am could have an impact out there. That's all I needed to prove myself. Now I can move on to bigger projects.

Next step: selling my digital product.

Next step: becoming financially independent through freelancing.

Next step: building an actual company with the money earned from the digital product sales and freelancing activity.

No one is asking you to build Amazon on your first day.

tHe LoNgEsT jOuRnEy StArTs WiTh A sInGlE sTeP

As cheesy as this quote is...it's true.

Start small. And grow it from there.

EDIT: I stumbled on this article, it will help you:

Nick Catricala

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 24, 2017
Canada
It’s good you’re asking the question “would I still want to be doing this in x years?”

Answer that question for me then!

what do you want to be doing in 5-10 years?!
Well Johnny Boy.. what a question is that for an old guy as my self? In 5 years if I am still kicking with God Guidance I like to be living debit free and enough funds to enjoy life in a warm climate place as Thailand lol

bitgiggy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 12, 2020
Japan
It’s good you’re asking the question “would I still want to be doing this in x years?”

I want to have a successful business! That is the only professional goal for me...aside from family stuff.

bitgiggy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 12, 2020
Japan
I always find the hardest part to get started. It's so easy to get wrapped in your head as to if your idea is worth it or will lead to success. As others have mentioned, the root cause of this is the fear of failure. The fear of not have a successful business, no one caring, wasting a bunch of money, and wasting valuable time. However, when you accept and acknowledge the possibility of failure, it becomes a lot less scary.

Most successful entrepreneurs did not achieve success their first, second, or even the third time. Each setback makes them stronger; and with each failure came lessons learned and new skills acquired which led to eventual success. When you begin to think of failures as future lessons instead of anxiety-provoking possibilities, a huge shift can happen between action taking and action faking.

You have to pick one idea and stick to it. Once you get started with one idea, it's a lot easier to continue and see that idea out. As Andy mentioned, focus on helping people, not on something that may seem the most lucrative. There's value in knowledge that is irreplaceable and everyone has knowledge is something that others can value from.

Being part of this community is a great first step, but the real action taking comes when you can reprogram your mind to accept and value failures instead of being afraid of them.
Just wanted to thank you for your reply! I have read everyone's comments over the past few days and taken it all on board.

I've also spent the past two days working on my new venture. Looking forward to sticking around here and updating you all with my progress!

bitgiggy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 12, 2020
Japan
Ideas are worth nothing. Everyone on earth got at least one million dollar idea one day in their lives.

The ONLY difference between those that got the actual million $ and those that did not, is this:

EXECUTION

Choose an idea, sit down, write a step-by-step plan, proceed to first step, then proceed to the second step, then repeat to the next step until you wake up one day wondering why you're paying so much taxes....

Can't focus on a big plan?

START SMALL

I had a huge mindset problem, so I started with a wordpress blog. I wrote one article that nobody read and enjoyed it, so I wrote a second one. Now, I have written over 120 articles and am slowly moving towards getting published.

Is this fastlane? No.

It's fastlane education. It taught me that someone as insignificant as I am could have an impact out there. That's all I needed to prove myself. Now I can move on to bigger projects.

Next step: selling my digital product.

Next step: becoming financially independent through freelancing.

Next step: building an actual company with the money earned from the digital product sales and freelancing activity.

No one is asking you to build Amazon on your first day.

tHe LoNgEsT jOuRnEy StArTs WiTh A sInGlE sTeP

As cheesy as this quote is...it's true.

Start small. And grow it from there.

EDIT: I stumbled on this article, it will help you:

This is so helpful. Thanks so much. Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been focusing my attention on DOING rather than THINKING.

The idea of starting small is much less overwhelming than trying to take on the world at once. I'm going to be keeping this in mind and focusing on ONE thing, as the article suggests.

Thanks again, this community is awesome!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Yes, it's a good question. I also learned that one can never predict where one will end up over time. I plan for the future while I accept that Lady Fate may place me into a situation that isn't included in my plans.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I want to have a successful business! That is the only professional goal for me...aside from family stuff.
Not good enough. If that were true you would be happy to start any business and follow it through to completion.

Figure out what you want and then go get it. No business idea works for you because you have no specific goal.

I know exactly what I want and it makes accomplishing my goals much easier. I can give myself smaller, specific goals that will lead to the larger goals.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Not good enough. If that were true you would be happy to start any business and follow it through to completion.

Figure out what you want and then go get it. No business idea works for you because you have no specific goal.

I know exactly what I want and it makes accomplishing my goals much easier. I can give myself smaller, specific goals that will lead to the larger goals.
So true.

bitgiggy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 12, 2020
Japan

This used to be true for me, but with the help of others on this forum over the past few weeks I have a much clearer idea and a plan, I just didn't go into huge detail in my reply.

I definitely am not 100% there yet, but I am getting there.

Thanks as always for taking the time to reply here, it's very helpful.

axelle99

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 23, 2020
Oui. Je suis exactement cela, un aspirant qui a du mal à faire passer les choses au niveau supérieur.

J'ai l'impression d'avoir les éléments de base, j'écoute les bonnes personnes et je lis les bonnes choses. La lutte consiste à trouver le concept et à continuer avec lui.

Je sais que je gagnerais énormément à être autour de personnes partageant les mêmes idées, je ne fais actuellement partie d'aucun groupe, ce sera donc ma première priorité.
The advice I can give you to get you started is to look around, take a good look, analyze a lot and try to identify the needs of consumers that can be anything and based on that find solutions.

Currently this is what I am doing I identified a problem in my country Ivory Coast and since then I have been working to provide a solution and this despite my current lack of means I am starting.

There is no right time all the time is right when you have the need and the solution

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.