The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Memory *rant*

Anything related to matters of the mind

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Have you guys played the game Simon? It's an old memory game which you can now find online.

Simon - Play the classic Simon memory game

The reason I bring this up is because I feel like people don't exercise their memory muscle anymore. All the data you need is inside your phone, all your passwords are saved, locations are reached by GPS. Can you remember something from one browser tab to another or do you constantly need to flip back and forth?

I am amazed sometimes at even my short-term memory fail. Ever call a store only to have them tell you to call another number instead? I think that it should be easy for someone to tell you a phone number and for you to remember it long enough for you to hang up and dial it. But sometimes I still screw that up. How saw when you can't remember 7 digits for longer than 10 seconds.

Anyway, I feel like our skills get eroded because we don't use them. It's the same with your brain. So I try to play Simon everyday. Yup it's boring, but I can get to about 13 consistently while watching youtube or talking to someone else and not really concentrating. (I only got to 9 while typing this post)

What can you do? Give it a shot. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Played twice, couldnt get past level 10. How far did you get?

kwerner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Oct 4, 2007
Apparently I need to work on my memory skills too.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
Have you guys played the game Simon? It's an old memory game which you can now find online.

The reason I bring this up is because I feel like people don't exercise their memory muscle anymore. All the data you need is inside your phone, all your passwords are saved, locations are reached by GPS. Can you remember something from one browser tab to another or do you constantly need to flip back and forth?

I am amazed sometimes at even my short-term memory fail. Ever call a store only to have them tell you to call another number instead? I think that it should be easy for someone to tell you a phone number and for you to remember it long enough for you to hang up and dial it. But sometimes I still screw that up. How saw when you can't remember 7 digits for longer than 10 seconds.

Anyway, I feel like our skills get eroded because we don't use them. It's the same with your brain. So I try to play Simon everyday. Yup it's boring, but I can get to about 13 consistently while watching youtube or talking to someone else and not really concentrating. (I only got to 9 while typing this post)

What can you do? Give it a shot. :)

If we had to remember all those things, phone numbers etc we wouldn't be able to learn and remember as much new things.

Way better off being able to have deviced which remember nonsense/unimportant things like that for us.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
If we had to remember all those things, phone numbers etc we wouldn't be able to learn and remember as much new things.

Way better off being able to have deviced which remember nonsense/unimportant things like that for us.

Patrick, my point is that if you don't try to remember any of those things you won't be able to remember the important new things.

If you never use your arms to lift things under 5 lbs so you can save them for lifting things over 50 lbs, don't expect to be able to lift that 50lb object well when the time comes.

SPX

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 31, 2012
It's easier for me to copy the sounds, most likely cause im a dj so easier to memorize the sound pattern than the lights

Giles

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 11, 2007
My memories a shocker, and I have read the internet is largely to blame - which I agree with. Why remember anything if you know you can find the answer with 2 clicks on Google on your laptops, cellphones, ipad etc

Luckily I always have the back of my hand and a pen handy! Currently says 'Ben' and 'Mike' which is enough to remind me I have two meetings tomorrow :smx4:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I got a great score, which proves how amazing my memory is... I just can't remember my score anymore.

Calgary

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Jun 28, 2011
I got to 24 then got really bored. I didn't find it very difficult. The patterns are easy to memorize. You just have to remember the new additions to the pattern each round. The important thing is, it's about what you remember.

7004062871_8e39facc8c_b.jpg

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
I use to worry about memory. I don't. memory is not as important anymore. Keep notes on your computer, phone, tablet, paper, organize them. So long as you can reference them, you got super duper reliable memory.

D

DeletedUser2

Guys, I use my memory alot in my deals, when I am doing research for a project or a pitch to investors, I have to be able to think on my feet, i might get the question, "so what are you basing revenues of this projection on, if X Law becomes a reality, vs the overseas market entrenchment already in place, and what competitive advantage can we gain in an un-leveraged position?"

this kind of question requires that I dredge my memory, quickly, for all the tidbits of information, quote them, and then build a counter story based on that

I think memory is an ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL entrepreneurial skill.

if you find your memory off a bit, kick it back into gear. go to the "GYM" and do some workouts,

World Memory Championships - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a cool world champ list of what they memorize,

Be in shape, mental, physical, emotional, if you want to really succeed

I think I will go play simon now :)

Mexidan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Mar 28, 2012
Luckily I always have the back of my hand and a pen handy! Currently says 'Ben' and 'Mike' which is enough to remind me I have two meetings tomorrow :smx4:

This tip may not work for people in countries where they have and use showers ;)

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
Guys, I use my memory alot in my deals, when I am doing research for a project or a pitch to investors, I have to be able to think on my feet, i might get the question, "so what are you basing revenues of this projection on, if X Law becomes a reality, vs the overseas market entrenchment already in place, and what competitive advantage can we gain in an un-leveraged position?"

this kind of question requires that I dredge my memory, quickly, for all the tidbits of information, quote them, and then build a counter story based on that

This kind of memory is very easy to evoke when you have a good understanding of the area you are talking about and how things work. Memory problems comes forth usually due to lack of understanding and constant exposure.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.