The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Meditation hasn't worked for me so far.

Anything related to matters of the mind

Jack Hammer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 19, 2018
I've tried meditation several times and never got much out of it. Most recently, I read Andy Puddicombe's book and used his Headspace app for over a month, but I didn't notice one iota of difference in my life with anything. It just felt like a waste of time and usually wasn't very pleasant, albeit with a few exceptions. Perhaps I was expecting too much too quickly, but then he promises results within 10 days.

Can anyone else relate to this? Are some people just not wired to benefit from meditation? Do I just need to try different approaches? I'm open to trying it again, but I should probably do something different, even if it's just resetting my own expectations.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mjb234

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 18, 2018
I've tried meditation several times and never got much out of it. Most recently, I read Andy Puddicombe's book and used his Headspace app for over a month, but I didn't notice one iota of difference in my life with anything. It just felt like a waste of time and usually wasn't very pleasant, albeit with a few exceptions. Perhaps I was expecting too much too quickly, but then he promises results within 10 days.

Can anyone else relate to this? Are some people just not wired to benefit from meditation? Do I just need to try different approaches? I'm open to trying it again, but I should probably do something different, even if it's just resetting my own expectations.
Hey man, I wouldn't stress too much about not seeing results right away. I've been meditating on and off for about 5 years now and there are still times when I feel like the meditation isnt having any effect on me. And often times the focus on "getting" something from meditation can make it harder to get into a meditative state.

Personally, I think the main goal of meditation isnt to feel better, relax, or even get more focus, though that can happen for some people. It's to become more aware of that voice in your head (your thoughts) and how much of what it says is habitual and often pretty negative.

If you feel like sitting meditation isnt for you, I recommend reading Eckhart Tolle's "Power of Now". It focuses more on being present to the moment and observing your thoughts and emotions (instead of letting them control you), all while living your daily life. It helped me tremendously to wake up from a lot of the negative habitual thinking that held me back in the past.

Jack Hammer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 19, 2018
Hey man, I wouldn't stress too much about not seeing results right away. I've been meditating on and off for about 5 years now and there are still times when I feel like the meditation isnt having any effect on me. And often times the focus on "getting" something from meditation can make it harder to get into a meditative state.

Personally, I think the main goal of meditation isnt to feel better, relax, or even get more focus, though that can happen for some people. It's to become more aware of that voice in your head (your thoughts) and how much of what it says is habitual and often pretty negative.

If you feel like sitting meditation isnt for you, I recommend reading Eckhart Tolle's "Power of Now". It focuses more on being present to the moment and observing your thoughts and emotions (instead of letting them control you), all while living your daily life. It helped me tremendously to wake up from a lot of the negative habitual thinking that held me back in the past.
I've seen that book mentioned a lot. I'll add it to my reading list. Thanks!

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
@Jack Hammer What are you wanting to get from meditation?

Meditation does quite a lot for me. It can be a lot of fun really, there's so much to do and explore. But what you're expecting and what you're trying to do is everything.

Simply being able to clear your mind is the very basic level of meditation. But that is quite useful in itself too.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Two questions:

1. What are you trying to get from it?
  2. What type of meditation are you doing? Saying you do meditation is like saying you play sports. There are HUGE variations.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
People exaggerate mediation. Mediation is not about having an out of body experience or feeling "bliss." It's also not about actively quieting the mind because when you pursue quieting the mind you are essentially using the mind. Someone promising you results in 10 days it's nonsense. You're not a machine who you can just tell to perform a function and wait ten days for the results.

Meditation alone won't do much. Mediation is used as part of a Yoga system. Yoga means to "yoke." You yoke your senses to be in complete control of your mind and body. There's many yoga systems. The most popular yoga system in the west is Hatha yoga. In popular culture this is what you see on the media where people stretch and do poses. But Hatha yoga can also mean any excersise. Like running, swimming, or doing physical labor.

Here's how I practice meditation and it helps me. You must remember that for meditation to be effective you must believe in the soul, spirit or great consciousness. Whatever you want to call it. Meditation is meant to find that immobile part of you. The witness of the senses. A good example is that of the horses and chariot. Your five senses are five horse and your soul is the driver of the chariot. Instead of letting the horses do as they please you bring them under control.

1. You do not need to be seated in a lotus position to practice mediation. If you feel more comfortable seat on a chair or lay on your bed.

2. Start by controlling your breath. This is pramayana. Breath through your nose and breath out through your mouth. Go as slow as possible. Breath in through your nose for 10 seconds expanding your lungs not just your chest. Think of a baby sleeping and how their stomach moves out. Now breath out through your mouth and contract your stomach to release all the air. Do this until you feel your heart rate dropping. Do this throughout the entirety of the exercise.

3. Once you're relax start by paying attention to your sense of hearing. Pay attention to every sound that enters through your ears. Say to yourself. That is hearing. What I hear is not who I am.

4. Once you are comfortable with hearing pay attention to your sight. You do not close your eyes while meditating you focus your eyesight on the tip of your nose. Say to yourself this is seen. I am not what I see. Do this for smell, touch and and taste. And know that you are not that. You are the observer of the senses. You control the senses not the other way around.

Once you've gone through your senses you should be in a meditative state. The yogis of India and monks have practice this since they were children so there experience is not yours. They can reach alter state of minds because they have so much practice. Also remember that you can practice meditation anywhere and at any time.

QFP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Apr 26, 2017
UK
I am sure plenty of people go through life never really observing their senses.
Myself I am a sound enthusiast I especially enjoy digging into the soft micro textures of ambient 'silence'.
No narrative every moment unique a sublime meditation.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
It doesn't work for me either so don't feel bad.

Personally, I want to believe that it just a placebo but science keeps telling me that im wrong and that meditation has real tangable benefits.

What I do know is that I have better things to do than sit still for 20 minutes a day focusing on my breath.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Give a try "Practicing Gratitude"
Maybe you will like it!

Nick Catricala

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 24, 2017
Canada

Hey Jack, here it is my 1/2 cent of suggestion.... and more than 20 years experience... I start meditating with expectations.. it was not fun.. I quit expecting and voila' life got better and better and better in every way. That does not mean everything is great at all times, but I now know life is complete ONLY by all the ups and downs, so I ok with what ever it come along.. I accept with gratitude because I found out that is the best way to live life... if interested to know more of the method I practice, the name is Quan Yin Method, and for much more info, please check this link: www.godsdirectcontact.org or contact me anytime... Enjoy!!!!

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Maybe you don't need it.

If your life would be stressful as hell then you'd probably see effects after one day

trustTheProcess

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
600%
Nov 1, 2017
UK
I don't like the Headspace app.
Meditation was an absolute game changer for me from the 3rd time i tried it. Main benefit was smashing depression out of the park and making me feel happy for no reason.

Here is all i do for 20 mins a day:
Sit up on the bed in the regular yoga position - legs crossed, hands on knees and thumbs touching middle fingers. Close eyes and listen to my breathing as the thoughts entering my head start to decrease in quantity. Eventually after 10 mins the thoughts entering are so infrequent that i can have moments of no thoughts at all (usually as i am exhaling). These moments are blissful and worth the wait. Sometimes i go for 30 mins or until legs get pins and needles.

Some pointers
- focus hard on your breath as you exhale and pretend you can no have thoughts as you are breathing out
- not all sessions work, so if you still have busy thoughts even 20 mins in don't stress about it.
- wait and listen out for what thought will pop up next (like a watchman), i think this helps slow the thoughts down and helps awareness. As you see the interrupting thought acknowledge it and let it go (don't dive in to it). I think this is called basic mindfulness, but i have never looked in to it.

My goal is to feel those brief moments of bliss. I notice i feel light and happy during the day and my depression has literally vanished. I am lucky it works like this for me, i'm sure everyone is different but it's a silver bullet for my depression and i'm surprised its not more main stream. Perhaps it is as i am in the hole working on business and never watch tv.

Jack Hammer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Sep 19, 2018
For those asking what purpose I do it for, I'm hoping to improve focus and general well-being. I don't have any terrible problems I'm trying to overcome. Just trying to up my game in life. All of those things definitely improve with good sleep and exercise, but not meditation it seems.

I've tried mindfulness meditation. I just remembered I also dabbled in self-hypnosis a few years ago. I'm not sure if that qualifies as meditation, but it feels similar. I might give it a shot again. I also this HeartMath book I started reading last year and didn't get very far. Does anyone have experience with that?

People exaggerate mediation. Mediation is not about having an out of body experience or feeling "bliss." It's also not about actively quieting the mind because when you pursue quieting the mind you are essentially using the mind. Someone promising you results in 10 days it's nonsense. You're not a machine who you can just tell to perform a function and wait ten days for the results.

Meditation alone won't do much. Mediation is used as part of a Yoga system. Yoga means to "yoke." You yoke your senses to be in complete control of your mind and body. There's many yoga systems. The most popular yoga system in the west is Hatha yoga. In popular culture this is what you see on the media where people stretch and do poses. But Hatha yoga can also mean any excersise. Like running, swimming, or doing physical labor.

Here's how I practice meditation and it helps me. You must remember that for meditation to be effective you must believe in the soul, spirit or great consciousness. Whatever you want to call it. Meditation is meant to find that immobile part of you. The witness of the senses. A good example is that of the horses and chariot. Your five senses are five horse and your soul is the driver of the chariot. Instead of letting the horses do as they please you bring them under control.

1. You do not need to be seated in a lotus position to practice mediation. If you feel more comfortable seat on a chair or lay on your bed.

2. Start by controlling your breath. This is pramayana. Breath through your nose and breath out through your mouth. Go as slow as possible. Breath in through your nose for 10 seconds expanding your lungs not just your chest. Think of a baby sleeping and how their stomach moves out. Now breath out through your mouth and contract your stomach to release all the air. Do this until you feel your heart rate dropping. Do this throughout the entirety of the exercise.

3. Once you're relax start by paying attention to your sense of hearing. Pay attention to every sound that enters through your ears. Say to yourself. That is hearing. What I hear is not who I am.

4. Once you are comfortable with hearing pay attention to your sight. You do not close your eyes while meditating you focus your eyesight on the tip of your nose. Say to yourself this is seen. I am not what I see. Do this for smell, touch and and taste. And know that you are not that. You are the observer of the senses. You control the senses not the other way around.

Once you've gone through your senses you should be in a meditative state. The yogis of India and monks have practice this since they were children so there experience is not yours. They can reach alter state of minds because they have so much practice. Also remember that you can practice meditation anywhere and at any time.
Give a try "Practicing Gratitude"
Maybe you will like it!
Hey Jack, here it is my 1/2 cent of suggestion.... and more than 20 years experience... I start meditating with expectations.. it was not fun.. I quit expecting and voila' life got better and better and better in every way. That does not mean everything is great at all times, but I now know life is complete ONLY by all the ups and downs, so I ok with what ever it come along.. I accept with gratitude because I found out that is the best way to live life... if interested to know more of the method I practice, the name is Quan Yin Method, and for much more info, please check this link: www.godsdirectcontact.org or contact me anytime... Enjoy!!!!
I don't like the Headspace app.
Meditation was an absolute game changer for me from the 3rd time i tried it. Main benefit was smashing depression out of the park and making me feel happy for no reason.

Here is all i do for 20 mins a day:
Sit up on the bed in the regular yoga position - legs crossed, hands on knees and thumbs touching middle fingers. Close eyes and listen to my breathing as the thoughts entering my head start to decrease in quantity. Eventually after 10 mins the thoughts entering are so infrequent that i can have moments of no thoughts at all (usually as i am exhaling). These moments are blissful and worth the wait. Sometimes i go for 30 mins or until legs get pins and needles.

Some pointers
- focus hard on your breath as you exhale and pretend you can no have thoughts as you are breathing out
- not all sessions work, so if you still have busy thoughts even 20 mins in don't stress about it.
- wait and listen out for what thought will pop up next (like a watchman), i think this helps slow the thoughts down and helps awareness. As you see the interrupting thought acknowledge it and let it go (don't dive in to it). I think this is called basic mindfulness, but i have never looked in to it.

My goal is to feel those brief moments of bliss. I notice i feel light and happy during the day and my depression has literally vanished. I am lucky it works like this for me, i'm sure everyone is different but it's a silver bullet for my depression and i'm surprised its not more main stream. Perhaps it is as i am in the hole working on business and never watch tv.
Try a sensory deprivation tank.
A lot to try. I'll give it a shot. Thanks everyone!

By the way, where do you find a sensory deprivation tank?

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
@Jack Hammer Meditation is amazing for improving focus. If you can meditate for 2 hours without breaking your concentration, then what will be difficult to focus on in comparison? Of course one does not simply go from 0 to 120 in a day. It takes time. Breakpoints are typically at 20 min and 40 min, if you can concentrate and not lose focus for 20 min, that is one milestone. Then again for 40 minutes. Once you've hit 40 minutes going to 120 minute is not much harder.

As you meditate it is like peeling back layers of an onion. Slowly the outer layers of how you operate peel away and go silent, and eventually you can get to your core. It's quite amazing really to see how trivial most of the things that are on our mind are, yet how seriously it's taken. But if you want to know who(what) you really are, meditation is the only way.

Breath work too is great for general well being. Belly breathing and healing go hand in hand, just for starters. You will always notice people in deep sleep belly breathing.

If you have any persistent anger or sadness, you can address them as well through meditation. Resolving them greatly contributes to your general well being.

TTG SS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Sep 3, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
I would stick with it for 30 days. At first I felt the same way like this is pointless and a waste of time.

When I first started I could barley make it 2 minutes before completely letting my thoughts take over.

Now after a month I'm averaging over 10 minutes each morning and it has made a positive impact in my ability to focus and produce in a positive state of mind.

Its a skill you have to build up just like anything else.

Smith11B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
Nov 7, 2013
For me I always expected some amazing thing as well but it really never worked that way.

What meditation does for me in the morning is it puts my day mentally in my mind after clearing it.
This helps tremendously with things like cravings, or forgetting things like appointments or what I'm doing for the day.

So in my mind, it's almost like I clear it. Then program what I'm going to do. Then my body executes on those. When things come up, because I had decided earlier what I was going to do it requires less will power to make the right choice.

Overall this leads to a more productive life.

I've felt bliss, and it was when I realized during my meditation that the things I had around me were absolutely amazing. Fresh water appearing on tap. Temperature controlled housing. The entire worlds knowledge in the palm of my hand, A screen that provides entertainment on demand. The ability to be on another continent in less than a day should I choose. My health. My sons healthy laugh in the next room. A wife I adore and trust. Food prepared by professional chefs and brought out to me by servers should I choose. I do this exercise after planning my day and it takes a lot of the edge off of the world for me. Essentially gratitude because in America at least, I live like a king. Even without the fastlane.

Those are the benefits I get from meditation. It's not magical. but at the same time it is.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Try a sensory deprivation tank.
Screen_Shot_2019_05_17_at_11.48.34_AM.0.png

Solid Snake

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 23, 2019
USA
everytime someone says they tried meditation and it didnt work, i ask if they used headspace or other apps.

everytime they say yes. and everytime im not surprised.

look up "vipassana" meditation where you focus on your breath and then let your thoughts go. do that for an hour daily.

meditation apps don't work and neither do any other gimmick like tanks. everytime the guy talks in the apps for "guidance" it disrupts the practice itself.

overtime as your ability to focus on the breath increases, you will increase your concentration. your work will be more efficient, problem solving will increase, emotional control increases, etc.

it's equivalent for working out for your brain.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.