The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Master of My Own Fear - Primarily Weight-Loss *155 pounds lost*

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Damn, mighty impressive. :clap:: :fistbump: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :praise: :praise:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Heartbreaking update. I have ballooned back to a staggering 350lbs.

18 months ago. I lost my dad. 6 months later, my significant other was diagnosed with cancer. With an outcome of death.

Result = not caring. With no care for myself. I let myself go. While my significant other watches and slowly dies herself.

A wakeup call coming my father in-law.

I may start a new thread. Please do not feel sorry for me.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I may start a new thread.

No, keep it here. People need to understand that weight loss isn't about losing weight but keeping it off. Maybe a mod will change the title or something.

The majority of fat people lose weight at some point in their lives, and the majority of those who lose weight end up gaining it all back. That's just the facts. (Maintenance of lost weight and long-term management of obesity)

What happens when someone who has lost a ton of weight goes through several personal tragedies at once? In most cases, they balloon back. Why? Because those old habits of overeating served to self-soothe. They distract you from the pain.

But... and here's the genius thing... you did it once, you can do it again. You can do the same thing you did before. But this time you'll have a plan for how to stay there.

Personal tragedy is part of life. It happens to everyone, and nobody is prepared for it.

I might even say: you owe it to your girl to make sure that you're healthy enough to be there for her in her last days. Don't let her die having to watch a miserable fat guy eat himself sick. That's no way to die. And you'll regret it, too, even if you lose the weight later!

At the very least, eating right and working out will distract you from the pain. It'll give you something else to think about.

I don't feel sorry for you, your situation is not pitiful but more normal than you think. What isn't normal is climbing out from under it a stronger, healthier man. And that's the opportunity you've been given!

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
No, keep it here. People need to understand that weight loss isn't about losing weight but keeping it off. Maybe a mod will change the title or something.

The majority of fat people lose weight at some point in their lives, and the majority of those who lose weight end up gaining it all back. That's just the facts. (Maintenance of lost weight and long-term management of obesity)

What happens when someone who has lost a ton of weight goes through several personal tragedies at once? In most cases, they balloon back. Why? Because those old habits of overeating served to self-soothe. They distract you from the pain.

But... and here's the genius thing... you did it once, you can do it again. You can do the same thing you did before. But this time you'll have a plan for how to stay there.

Personal tragedy is part of life. It happens to everyone, and nobody is prepared for it.

I might even say: you owe it to your girl to make sure that you're healthy enough to be there for her in her last days. Don't let her die having to watch a miserable fat guy eat himself sick. That's no way to die. And you'll regret it, too, even if you lose the weight later!

At the very least, eating right and working out will distract you from the pain. It'll give you something else to think about.

I don't feel sorry for you, your situation is not pitiful but more normal than you think. What isn't normal is climbing out from under it a stronger, healthier man. And that's the opportunity you've been given!

You are right. I know exactly what to do. So, it won't be hard to run this back.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Started my routine today. 5x5. Ended with a 20 minute incline treadmill walk. Feels pretty good.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Heartbreaking update.

Please do not feel sorry for me.
I'm not here to feel sorry for you, but there's this principle in life that says, "Rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep."

You went through some hard loss. You have legitimate ongoing grief. And it IS heartbreaking. And it's right for people to come alongside and say, "Yeah, it hurts. I see you. Any normal person would struggle with this. You're hurting, and it's led to an outcome you didn't want, and we care."I can't take away the grief, but I can grieve with you - just a stranger on the internet saying I want you well. You're valuable. You matter. You're the guy around here who is always uplifting others' spirits with funny memes and good zingers. I know that sometimes people who are the best at putting a smile on others' faces are often the ones who are hurting the most inside. Keep your chin up. Take good care of yourself. You're worth it.

Started my routine today. 5x5. Ended with a 20 minute incline treadmill walk. Feels pretty good.

I'm so glad to hear this. I'm rooting for you!

You've got this!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Congrats on getting started.

However I will say this, something that plagues most people who are trying to change their health...

There is no exercise regime or training program that will outwork the trash that you put in your mouth.

It is 80/20 Pareto principle.

Your results will come from 80% via food and 20% via exercise/activity...

I say this because my stepson struggles with the same thing: He kills it at the gym, the (20%) ... then proceeds to go home and shovels processed trash in his mouth (80%) ... then he asks, "Why aren't I getting results? Why is my 54 year old step dad look like he's in better shape?"

A radical change in food intake will always outdo a radical change in activity. Good luck in making it happen!

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
I get you, friend. I've been in a similar boat, though not with that extreme weight loss.

Just to (re)share a bit of my story: I lost 66 pounds and have successfully kept it off for 4 years. No quick fix, just a long, consistent, SUSTAINABLE process that DOES NOT need much willpower. And no meds, of course.
Anabolics including TRT? Nope. All natural.

The real challenge isn't just losing the weight; it's keeping it off long-term. Most diets fail, and I want to reassure you if you're struggling, it's not all down to you being a failure or a lack of willpower. Genetics can play a HUGE ROLE, making it harder for some people more than others. It's a serious issue, and it's tough. Many people, for example, could not reach a weight like 350 pounds. Put a gun to their head, threaten to take their life, or tell them that world peace would be achieved! They could not do it!

So how did I tackle it? I faced my weight issues by focusing on changing 1 habit at a time, dedicating a whole month to every good habit before introducing another one.

This approach helped me ensure that each new habit was SUSTAINABLE. By applying the 80/20 principle, as mentioned by @MJ DeMarco , I pinpointed and then cut out the habits that contributed most to my high-calorie intake. For me, the biggest culprits were alcohol and keeping junk food at home. I addressed these one at a time, first I eliminated alcohol, then over 1 month, I learned to swap out my usual meals for high-protein, lower-calorie alternatives. Then next month I started weighing myself regularly. Then added portion control the next month.

So, start with one habit in month 1. Add another in month 2 (or whenever you are ready). Another in month 3 (or when you are ready). You see what I mean?

The goal here is to lose weight SLOWLY. Rushing can lead to temporary results that bring you ephemeral joy but don't last.

I’m more than willing to help guide you through this process. If you're committed, I can send you the books that helped me in PDF (buying them costs more than 100 USD) and share practical tips and tricks so you can crash it.

Just send me a DM so that I know you are serious.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
I get you, friend. I've been in a similar boat, though not with that extreme weight loss.

Just to (re)share a bit of my story: I lost 66 pounds and have successfully kept it off for 4 years. No quick fix, just a long, consistent, SUSTAINABLE process that DOES NOT need much willpower. And no meds, of course.
Anabolics including TRT? Nope. All natural.

The real challenge isn't just losing the weight; it's keeping it off long-term. Most diets fail, and I want to reassure you if you're struggling, it's not all down to you being a failure or a lack of willpower. Genetics can play a HUGE ROLE, making it harder for some people more than others. It's a serious issue, and it's tough. Many people, for example, could not reach a weight like 350 pounds. Put a gun to their head, threaten to take their life, or tell them that world peace would be achieved! They could not do it!

So how did I tackle it? I faced my weight issues by focusing on changing 1 habit at a time, dedicating a whole month to every good habit before introducing another one.

This approach helped me ensure that each new habit was SUSTAINABLE. By applying the 80/20 principle, as mentioned by @MJ DeMarco , I pinpointed and then cut out the habits that contributed most to my high-calorie intake. For me, the biggest culprits were alcohol and keeping junk food at home. I addressed these one at a time, first I eliminated alcohol, then over 1 month, I learned to swap out my usual meals for high-protein, lower-calorie alternatives. Then next month I started weighing myself regularly. Then added portion control the next month.

So, start with one habit in month 1. Add another in month 2 (or whenever you are ready). Another in month 3 (or when you are ready). You see what I mean?

The goal here is to lose weight SLOWLY. Rushing can lead to temporary results that bring you ephemeral joy but don't last.

I’m more than willing to help guide you through this process. If you're committed, I can send you the books that helped me in PDF (buying them costs more than 100 USD) and share practical tips and tricks so you can crash it.

Just send me a DM so that I know you are serious.

I did keep it off. Nearly 3 years give or take.

My food is good. Everything I was indulging in. Has been thrown away.

I think I’ve been giving a second chance. I’m not going to squander it.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
443%
May 27, 2013
United States
Sorry to hear about the tough times @Raoul Duke . Always been rooting for you from the sidelines. You got this.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.