The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Marketplaces: Uber, AirBnB, Snappr, Fiverr, Upwork and niching

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

martinz1995

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jan 12, 2022
Hi so I had a question about the marketplace business model that you see nowadays - essentially while there are still small businesses and even big corporations, many professions have been turned into freelancers.

Essentially a service business is a marketplace - for example if I run a digital marketing agency I would simply match clients with employees. As in I would match SEO experts, PPC experts, designers etc. with clients e.g. enterprise, small businesses, medium sized businesses.

Good case is a small business I currently run- it is a wedding videography business. I simply match a videographer that I've hired with couples through marketing. I don't do any videography or video editing at all. And I was thinking I am simply running a marketplace. So in this sense, this business is a marketplace where I connect/match wedding videographers with couples.

However Fiverr/Upwork is just a larger version of this marketplace, with more scale. E.g. Upwork has designers, accounting, data analysts, SEO experts, web developers, video editing etc. and it is GLOBAL unlike a small business that I run. The only way for me to achieve that sort of scale would be if I turn it into a franchise or if I turn it into an app/ online marketplace.

So now I am thinking couldn't this these larger marketplaces be niched down and improved in quality? Here's what I noticed:
Dribble is an example of a marketplace (similar to Fiverr/Upwork) that is only focused on design.
Hire Digital (similar to Fiverr/Upwork) is an example of a marketplace focused on digital marketing.
Toptal is an example of a marketplace (similar to Fiverr/Upwork) focused on high quality freelancers (finance, development, design, product management and project management)

So couldn't all the broad categories of Fiverr be niched down to just 1 area/service? E.g. Fiverr for video editors / Fiverr for translators / Fiverr for accountants/ makeup artists. Because it seems like that's how things are moving nowadays.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Hi so I had a question about the marketplace business model that you see nowadays - essentially while there are still small businesses and even big corporations, many professions have been turned into freelancers.

Essentially a service business is a marketplace - for example if I run a digital marketing agency I would simply match clients with employees. As in I would match SEO experts, PPC experts, designers etc. with clients e.g. enterprise, small businesses, medium sized businesses.

Good case is a small business I currently run- it is a wedding videography business. I simply match a videographer that I've hired with couples through marketing. I don't do any videography or video editing at all. And I was thinking I am simply running a marketplace. So in this sense, this business is a marketplace where I connect/match wedding videographers with couples.

However Fiverr/Upwork is just a larger version of this marketplace, with more scale. E.g. Upwork has designers, accounting, data analysts, SEO experts, web developers, video editing etc. and it is GLOBAL unlike a small business that I run. The only way for me to achieve that sort of scale would be if I turn it into a franchise or if I turn it into an app/ online marketplace.

So now I am thinking couldn't this these larger marketplaces be niched down and improved in quality? Here's what I noticed:
Dribble is an example of a marketplace (similar to Fiverr/Upwork) that is only focused on design.
Hire Digital (similar to Fiverr/Upwork) is an example of a marketplace focused on digital marketing.
Toptal is an example of a marketplace (similar to Fiverr/Upwork) focused on high quality freelancers (finance, development, design, product management and project management)

So couldn't all the broad categories of Fiverr be niched down to just 1 area/service? E.g. Fiverr for video editors / Fiverr for translators / Fiverr for accountants/ makeup artists. Because it seems like that's how things are moving nowadays.

There's many Fiverr alternatives, but I wouldn't launch a niche one unless there's some real proof of social demand - not to mention the two sided marketplace is one of the hardest models to crack.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So couldn't all the broad categories of Fiverr be niched down to just 1 area/service?

Absolutely, and photography can be one. Just know that any such marketplace is a rough nut to crack, two-sided marketplaces are doggedly hard to start, but as such, have great barriers to entry.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
I highly recommend to you the book: "The Lean Marketplace"

I don't think you should study Fiverr, Uber, Upwork etc. for their marketplace business model as they are not niched enough.

Marketplaces for digital products / services have by far the highest margins. Steam, iTunes, Shutterstock etc.

They can collect fees amounting to 30-70% of transactions, which is hard to accomplish in the physical realm where services/items are not easily replicable.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I hate MOST marketplace business models. Someone's gotta do the hard work. Everyone thinks their "uber of lawn care" is a great idea but they are just running away from the difficulty (the difficulty brings in all the profit).

Imagine a restaurant where you go in, sit down, order food, and the chefs in the kitchen are just guys off the street who are independent contractors. The restaurant doesn't train them or give them instructions, just the type of food that was ordered. Is that what you want to build?

Build the hard thing and you will be rewarded. We enjoy a 50% profit margin and will still be around in 10 years. We may not give VC funds and angel investors a boner with our business model because it's not a SAAS, but we have something that all of these "uber of _____" companies don't have and that's PROFIT.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Imagine a restaurant where you go in, sit down, order food, and the chefs in the kitchen are just guys off the street who are independent contractors. The restaurant doesn't train them or give them instructions, just the type of food that was ordered. Is that what you want to build?
Agreed, that restaurant doesn't sound appealing.

Is that a marketplace though? Would the marketplace be the directory where you found the listing for the restaurant?

martinz1995

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jan 12, 2022
I hate MOST marketplace business models. Someone's gotta do the hard work. Everyone thinks their "uber of lawn care" is a great idea but they are just running away from the difficulty (the difficulty brings in all the profit).

Build the hard thing and you will be rewarded. We enjoy a 50% profit margin and will still be around in 10 years. We may not give VC funds and angel investors a boner with our business model because it's not a SAAS, but we have something that all of these "uber of _____" companies don't have and that's PROFIT.
Absolutely I agree with this point. And that seems to be the problem I've noticed with Fiverr - it is like the lower quality version of Upwork. Essentially I look at the marketplace as a product. Craigslist is a marketplace but it is so poor in quality that barely anyone uses it anymore.

So the goal is the create a marketplace that will attract both exceptional talent as well as great clients.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.