The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Market research for preferred size of product

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Mar 6, 2016
Hi all!

I'm looking to import a product which comes in different sizes (non-clothing) and launch it on Amazon. Right now there is only 1 competitor selling this product and he is providing 1 size of it. I can choose 1 out of 5 sizes to launch.

To determine which size is the most preferred by customers, I wanted to go out on the streets and ask people face to face.

Is this a method that will give me a reasonably accurate view of which size is preferred? I was planning to ask something like 50 people. Maybe there are factors that Idon't know about which will skew the results.

Or would you recommend another method? I could launch a site and advertise for it without having the product, so that people can buy it and then refund the money saying it is out of stock. This will give a more accurate view, but takes much more time and money. I don't know whether it is that much better than asking people face to face..

Thanks!

Edit: the product is a night lamp. People will probably see it on the internet and decide to search for it and buy it. I think it is better to just bring a picture with description of the product with me, because this will reflect more of how the buying and selection process on the internet goes. Bringing the actual product with me will not. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
Hey,

can whether it's the right or wrong size be determined by just looking at it or presenting it to people?
I don't know your product, but maybe people tend to just guess, "Yeah, it's (not) the right size." yet working with it would prove them right / wrong.

What do the reviews for the competitors product say? Is anyone complaining about the size?

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Really depends on the product and therefore very hard to tell. I don't think people in the street will give you good feedback.

If it was clothing or something similar, you could offer more value by offering more sizes.

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Mar 6, 2016
Openingspost is edited with the mention of the type of product it is.

Hey,

can whether it's the right or wrong size be determined by just looking at it or presenting it to people?
I don't know your product, but maybe people tend to just guess, "Yeah, it's (not) the right size." yet working with it would prove them right / wrong.

What do the reviews for the competitors product say? Is anyone complaining about the size?

The product is a night lamp. People will probably see it on the internet and decide to search for it and buy it. So they will probably just go with the size that sounds most appealing to them in their mind without actually seeing the product.

I think it is better to just bring a picture with description of the product with me, because this will reflect more of how the buying and selection process on the internet goes. Bringing the actual product with me will not. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Really depends on the product and therefore very hard to tell. I don't think people in the street will give you good feedback.

If it was clothing or something similar, you could offer more value by offering more sizes.

It's a nightlamp. Do you still think people in the street will not give good feedback? See my reply to Danny Sullivan about people just seeing it on the internet and decide to buy it.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
It's a nightlamp. Do you still think people in the street will not give good feedback? See my reply to Danny Sullivan about people just seeing it on the internet and decide to buy it.

I think you would have better results if you would launch a poll on the internet or facebook or somewhere where people are bored and not in a hurry like most people on the streets.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Run facebook ads/instagram polling

''Which one you buying??''

Pick-just-one-thing.jpg

Show pictures of the various sizes

For only a few bucks you can reach hundreds of people,

Also smaller item will be cheaper to ship.

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
Don't get me wrong here, but i think there's a reason there's only one size in amazon.

Imagine going into a furniture shop seeing a nightstand with identical lamps just slighty different in size. Have you ever thought "Hmm... i wonder what the perfect size for nightlamp would be?" Me neither.

Just from my gut feeling (and i might be wrong here), i wouldn't bother to test this. I'd just take the middle size of it. If that's what your competitor is doing, it would select the one with the healthiest margin.

Remember - i might be wrong here. Maybe others with more experience can chime in.

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Mar 6, 2016
I think you would have better results if you would launch a poll on the internet or facebook or somewhere where people are bored and not in a hurry like most people on the streets.

I posted on 2 forums yesterday and both deleted the topic because they don't like such topics on their forums. Facebook groups could be more allowing, but I might go with the solution below -->

Run facebook ads/instagram polling

''Which one you buying??''

View attachment 20261

Show pictures of the various sizes

For only a few bucks you can reach hundreds of people,

Also smaller item will be cheaper to ship.

This might be the ideal solution! Although facebook doesn't provide polls for its ads (correct me if I'm wrong), I could always instruct to write the choice down in the comments. Thanks!

Don't get me wrong here, but i think there's a reason there's only one size in amazon.

Imagine going into a furniture shop seeing a nightstand with identical lamps just slighty different in size. Have you ever thought "Hmm... i wonder what the perfect size for nightlamp would be?" Me neither.

Just from my gut feeling (and i might be wrong here), i wouldn't bother to test this. I'd just take the middle size of it. If that's what your competitor is doing, it would select the one with the healthiest margin.

Remember - i might be wrong here. Maybe others with more experience can chime in.
I am pretty sure size does matter with this particular night lamp. Also there is a difference of 15 cm between the smallest and biggest version.

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
Had you taken a look at the reviews of the other product that's listed on amazon? We're people complaining about the size?

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Mar 6, 2016
Had you taken a look at the reviews of the other product that's listed on amazon? We're people complaining about the size?
Very few are, but I am most certain that most people want a much bigger size than currently listed. We will see what the polls/surveys reveal ;)

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
If you're sure about this, you might aswell start by asking people directly. The results might be skewed but it's low cost. And if you're still uncertain you can back it up with @sparechange 's recommendation.

Good luck!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.