The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Margaritaville (I've Bought A Golf-Course!)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Us marines are a unique bunch.

Losing a lot may take your credit and your money but it does not take your knowledge. It can take your will to fight if you let it (that is what @jon.a is referencing).

The only thing age had to do with it is experience.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Care to elaborate? Sounds like you think you can read my mind.
The cliche is "if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand." But, the truth is, it's just not worth it.

Last edited:

phenom4hire

Onwards and Upwards
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Mar 26, 2011
Jesup, GA
The cliche is you are referring to a group of people with a stereotype. I know just as many unsuccessful marines as successful.

That may be anecdotal on my part, but it is what ive personally experienced. I have great respect for the armed forces members that deserve it, but I dont consider myself naive enough to think such a large group of people are basically all the same.

I agree most marines are tough in mind and at heart and come away with a unique skillset for tackling everyday life. However there are others who accomplish this as well without the military background.

I was just giving kudos to a guy who was able to turn a negative situation into a positive. Whether or not he was a marine wasn't in my scope of thought but I understand you being proud of that and referencing that in your post. I just try to judge each person on their words and actions regardless of background so it honestly would not have mattered to me either way.

Anyway this will be my last post in reference to this as it has strayed from what the thread is about.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Camo & Gold

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Nov 28, 2014
Dirty South
Steve O-

While I only read the first page of comments, I am going to school to manage turf grass on sports fields and golf courses. Well not specifically but that's apart of it...

Anyways if you need any assistance in your endeavors feel free to ask, I've worked on 2 golf courses and one of which I interned at a TPC course. I am more oriented on the Research aspect of the industry as I would like to develop my own grasses BUT I still know a thing or two about managing golf courses.

I hope all goes well, there's nothing more relaxing than watching the sunrise or set on a golf course with a nice cup of coffee.

Camo & Gold

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Nov 28, 2014
Dirty South
Alright I got around to skimming across a couple pages so far.. I have a few questions now, if you don't mind.

What was your reasoning for firing the Superintendent?
Do you have an Assistant Superintendent?
Do you have a spray tech?

It seems you guys have the algae issue under control now, have you thought about adding grass carp and possibly a "water fountain" in the future? This combination seems to reduce the need for chemical means once under control.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Us marines are a unique bunch.

Losing a lot may take your credit and your money but it does not take your knowledge. It can take your will to fight if you let it (that is what @jon.a is referencing).

I agree. I'm not a marine, but experience does play a part. Although, I've studied a lot of military mindset. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Man making a comeback at that age (no offense) is impressive given how quickly you seemed to have turned it around.
Seems this could be a thread in and of itself. ...minus the age thing.

Yep.

@SteveO ... when I look at the pictures you post, I look past all that needs fixed and I see a beautiful course. Man...it's really going to be great !

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Equipment is the new focus. We have precision equipment that has not been calibrated for years. Our cutting reels need to be very precise to get smooth, crisp cuts. This has been lacking. I am also working with the mechanic to get all the equipment pm'ed and in proper working order. I almost put a work cart into a lake the other day when the steering wheel turned but the wheels did not. Put a new box in today and set the toe-in (alignment).
cutter.jpg

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Looking Good !! Better and better and better it is.

I chuckle to myself because it's such a huge undertaking. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
They are all over the map. Most of the courses that I looked at were not making money. If you paid cash for the property, the operating costs matched the income. They are high risk investments.

Ours has had a decent NOI for the past three years even though the course was in such crappy condition. They ran the course with a very small staff and did not fix anything. My projections called for more money put to expenses and more income. We will not take any money out for the first year at least.
This describes a re-positioning project! It'll most likely be more than a year, but I am sure you're fine with that. great job, @SteveO !

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
How many folks here can claim to have owned millions of dollars in apartment units? And then sold em only to go on and buy a golf course?

This outcome personifies a Fastlane destination, AND a Fastlane beginning.

Marked GOLD. My simultaneous congrats to @SteveO as well as an apology -- this is long, long overdue.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks MJ.

We have 8 machines with three to five reel cutters. There are a total of 25 reel assemblies that cut grass at a precise level. They need to cut crisp and efficiently with no drag or resistance. The blades will become dull if they rub, grass will not be cut evenly, and there will be lines on the greens that lead to inaccurate putting. Good golfers would not play on a course like that.

The reels need to be adjusted for height as well. Our machines were all sufficiently damaged to the point that they could not be/stay adjusted. We have had to do a lot of work on the reel assemblies to make them right. Proper bolts, carriages and adjusters had to be installed correctly and reworked.

None of our machines worked properly. I was embarrassed by the quality. We did not have a level cut on the entire course and we did not have anyone that could seem to fix it.

Here is the first step. This is just the knifebed. I don't have a clip of the reel.

In the past, the reels were not cut straight and square so adjustment was impossible. I had the "machinist" (he had a card with his name on it that said he was member of a machinist organization) come in to help us get our sharpening equipment calibrated. He had us clean it all up and commenced to teaching us how to sharpen. I was not there at the time but my mechanic told him that he was not setting it up by the book. He sharpened a few blades and left, telling me that he could not work in our environment.

The blades were sharpened at the incorrect angle. We had to redo what was done or they would not cut.

He was setting up the reels incorrectly. Not using the micrometer setup to square everything. He setup the equipment 16 years ago when it was new. It appears as if the manuals were never used before I broke them out.

Next. Efficient reel rolling, blade sharpening, and adjustment.

Last edited:

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
LOL just saw this clip and thought of this thread..... so much hate from carlin lol

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I went to the Top Golf portion of the summit yesterday to meet some of the people that were there. It was nice to see all the familiar faces and the new ones as well.

It must have been a bad day for me as I talked negatively about the amount of work at the golf course. As I reflected today, I really should have been focused on how far the course has come in just a few short months. It has taken an incredible amount of time and effort though. I am feeling the stress.

But this morning as I reflected a bit, the progress was apparent. I am tired... but feel good!

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Awesome progress, Steve! Can't fathom how I missed you last night.... I'm bummed.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Awesome progress, Steve! Can't fathom how I missed you last night.... I'm bummed.
I was at the summit in the back of the room for MJ's presentation and then went over to Top Golf for the networking. Talked to a lot of people but did not run across you. Who were you hanging out with?

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
How many folks here can claim to have owned millions of dollars in apartment units? And then sold em only to go on and buy a golf course?

This outcome personifies a Fastlane destination, AND a Fastlane beginning.

Marked GOLD. My simultaneous congrats to @SteveO as well as an apology -- this is long, long overdue.

Gold??? This should be the first "Brass" thread.

Anyone that sells a portfolio of income generating safe investments and buys a golf course on spec, has got a pair of you know what.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Anyone that sells a portfolio of income generating safe investments and buys a golf course on spec, has got a pair of you know what.
I like to think that I have no fear. But there are clear risks!

Income generating safe investments are not really safe at all. There is not a lot of cashflow in these deals like people think. I was in them for the value-pop. That is where the money is. But it is not always there. The market ebbs and flows and must be timed. That is why I pulled out!

G_Alexander

Does it Cash Flow?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
936%
Jun 7, 2008
More pics

My brain feels better (when comparing before/after)!

OCD complete. 5S Organization of the equipment looks good, Steve :)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
My brain feels better (when comparing before/after)!

OCD complete. 5S Organization of the equipment looks good, Steve :)
Yep. I did not do this. This was each maintenance employee putting their own equipment in its spot. Most of it is working now where before, less than half was even operational. Much less lubed, tuned, and sharpened.

Thanks.2016-02-20 14.11.55.jpg

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Any new developments? Getting into a operational rhythm?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Any new developments? Getting into a operational rhythm?
Just continuing on the path of getting things in order. Spent a few K de-mucking the main irrigation pond. Still need to get all the cattails out.

Equipment is doing great. The course is greening up nicely.

Business is down though. The Canadian economy is in a downturn and the spending is way down across all businesses here. We are attracting more people to play that have not been here for a while.

Our goal is to continue to make the course better... "if you build it, they will come"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.