The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Malcolm Gladwell Is A Dipshit

For any book discussion

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
So last year I picked up the book David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants
by Malcolm Gladwell. Three chapters in, and I literally got up from the chair I was sitting in and threw the book in the garbage. He spent the first three chapters of the book I would never finish talking about how once you have reached a certain amount of income, then unhappiness and discontent follows. I can't remember his specific junk science, but the amount for maximum happiness was somewhere south of $100k (I want to say $80k).

Now comes this. A statistic I have quoted many times about "10,000 hours of practice" from Gladwell's Outliers: The Story of Success and it turns out Gladwell got that wrong also.

http://www.inc.com/nick-skillicorn/...iginal-stu.html?cid=sf01002&sr_share=facebook

From the article:

"...the authors behind the original study on which Gladwell based his figures now claim that his interpretation wasn't actually very accurate."

"Fundamentally, 10,000 hours of practice will actually only keep you level on average with everyone else working toward your same goal. At most stages in your life, if you're committed to practice and improvement, that figure means you'll be ahead of about half of your competition, but still be behind the other half."

There's merit to understanding the original study, and like in all things... trust but verify. It comes as no great surprise to me after reading his fundamental errors chronicled in David and Goliath that a portion of his lifework manifesto was based on faulty understanding and interpretation on his part.

But hey... it sells books.

I haven't read it yet but here is a new book by the original creators of the study by which Gladwell created his errant summation:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0544456238/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
A lot of people pretty much regard the "10,000" hours thing as fact now.

If you repeat it so many times (as I did) it starts becoming "fact."

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
A lot of people pretty much regard the "10,000" hours thing as fact now.

I don't interpret it literally -- I interpret it as "Work your f*cking a$$ off more than the other guy."

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
This is good to know because i've heard of that book and way thinking about checking it out . and i've deff seen that 10,000 shit all over the internet . The internet is a crazy place . Its even hard to know who to listen to tbh lol

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
If you repeat it so many times (as I did) it starts becoming "fact."

Pretty crazy.

Scientists Debunk The Myth That 10,000 Hours of Practice Makes You an Expert

The 10,000 Hour Rule Is Not Real -

"
A [URL='http://scottbarrykaufman.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Macnamara-et-al.-2014.pdf']new meta-analysis
, however, indicates that the 10,000 hour rule simply does not exist. As Brain's Idea reports, authors of the new study undertook the largest literature survey on this subject to date, compiling the results of 88 scientific articles representing data from some 11,000 research participants. Practice, they found, on average explains just 12 percent of skill mastery and subsequent success. "In other words the 10,000-Hour rule is nonsense," Brain's Idea writes. "Stop believing in it. Sure, practice is important. But other factors (age? intelligence? talent?) appear to play a bigger role."

[/URL]

350z

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Aug 8, 2015
NYC
People spend 10,000 hours living and yet, as crazy as it sounds, some people live better than others.

Maybe it's not about the quantity of hours, perhaps it about the quality of hours.

You can set a goal to drive 10,000 miles but who's going to get to their goal faster, the one going 20MPH or the one going 200MPH?

It's called the fastlane for a reason.

blackbrich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern USA
Around 90%(also arbitrary) of the time when non-scientists cite scientific studies its bullshit.
Non-scientists tend to go much further with their conclusions on very small-scale studies than a scientist would ever go based on extensive multi-year multi-experiment multi-assay research that he himself presided over.
Reading and understanding a scientific study is a skill.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
People spend 10,000 hours living and yet, as crazy as it sounds, some people live better than others.

Maybe it's not about the quantity of hours, perhaps it about the quality of hours.

You can set a goal to drive 10,000 miles but who's going to get to their goal faster, the one going 20MPH or the one going 200MPH?

It's called the fastlane for a reason.
SOMEBODY GIVE THIS GUY SOMETHING!! Lol best post for this thread goes to this guy ^^^^^^^

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I never thought the ten thousand hour rule made sense. What about the worlds best skydiver? The max you can get in one job is 60 seconds freefall. So to be the best I need 600,000 jumps. Sure thing.

Like MJ I just took it as a general rule to work your a$$ off. Nothing changes between hour 9,999 and 10,001.

I was listening to Ready, Fire, Aim last night and the author says in the intro he took some quiz in a Seth Godin book that said he wouldn't be suitable as an entrepreneur. This is after he had set up multiple 100 million dollar companies.

How much do you work? As much as it takes.

Dave510

Reversing
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jan 16, 2014
Malcolm is great at selling pseudo-science "wisdom" to the masses, but I can't believe the number of people who thought his 10,000 hours thesis made any sense. Whether you're proficient at something is relative. You can be a master of blowing bubble gum at probably less than 100 hours of practice, because there are no competition. In a highly competitive field, you'll probably need way more than 10,000 hours of practice to be considered an expert. I thought this was obvious, and that's why Malcolm's 10,000 hours rule cannot possibly be true.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

limitless_c

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Apr 29, 2016
Chile
Obviously there isn't such thing as a rule of hours to master something but I think its a good motivation for some people.

Maybe someone reads the 10.000 hours rule and the next day they start chasing what they want. Like Poor Dad Rich Dad, its not true but it has motivated thousands of people.

ilrein

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 1, 2012
Peter Thiel does a great job assessing Gladwell as an author, and I can't help but agree.

Thiel describes him as a pessimist. Gladwell agreed the greats worked their asses off, but he was convinced they were beyond lucky in their circumstance and therefore, we shouldn't really compare ourselves to them because our own situations are not so fortunate.

After Outliers I decided not to read anymore of his work, as I could sense the deterministic tone. I like romantic writers.

G

GuestUserX09

I remember listening to this audio book a few years and being engaged in an interesting way.. out of anything the 10,000 hour bit is all I remember but my question was always, "so what happens at 20,000 hours?" "What happens at 5,000 hours" over what period of time? Etc.

@350z is right. I don't know where I read it but some author or interview somewhere mentioned that the hours don't matter, it's all about the quality of the hours. So with that in mind, I do follow 10,000 hours as a rough estimate, being in the non-literal context like MJ said "Work your f*cking a$$ off more than the other guy." ..But as Gladwell attempted to put it, I don't see it as a actual finish line or "rule".

I think it's more of a reminder to have deep domain expertise and saying "10,000 hours" just happened to be a better way of putting it to sell books.

BStaff95

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Mar 31, 2016
My sociology teacher who talked about the government hacking her email every class made us read this and take an exam on it. She really believed in the contents of this book and touted them as fact.

I'll be able to sleep much better tonight knowing that my university is doing its job properly preparing me for the world.

D

Deleted35442

So last year I picked up the book David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants
by Malcolm Gladwell. Three chapters in, and I literally got up from the chair I was sitting in and threw the book in the garbage. He spent the first three chapters of the book I would never finish talking about how once you have reached a certain amount of income, then unhappiness and discontent follows. I can't remember his specific junk science, but the amount for maximum happiness was somewhere south of $100k (I want to say $80k).

Now comes this. A statistic I have quoted many times about "10,000 hours of practice" from Gladwell's Outliers: The Story of Success and it turns out Gladwell got that wrong also.

http://www.inc.com/nick-skillicorn/...iginal-stu.html?cid=sf01002&sr_share=facebook

From the article:

"...the authors behind the original study on which Gladwell based his figures now claim that his interpretation wasn't actually very accurate."

"Fundamentally, 10,000 hours of practice will actually only keep you level on average with everyone else working toward your same goal. At most stages in your life, if you're committed to practice and improvement, that figure means you'll be ahead of about half of your competition, but still be behind the other half."

There's merit to understanding the original study, and like in all things... trust but verify. It comes as no great surprise to me after reading his fundamental errors chronicled in David and Goliath that a portion of his lifework manifesto was based on faulty understanding and interpretation on his part.

But hey... it sells books.

I haven't read it yet but here is a new book by the original creators of the study by which Gladwell created his errant summation:

https://www.amazon.com/Peak-Secrets-New-Science-Expertise/dp/0544456238/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465506823&sr=8-1&keywords=Peak: Secrets from the New Science of
Kek. Care to compare? :playful:

Attachments

• lol.jpg
    lol.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 75

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Never been a fan or believer in Malcolm's work.

FWIW, I've enjoyed your take down of popular books including Ready, Fire, Aim.

I really want to like these books. I feel though that a lot of best sellers are packaged for consumption by people that are searching for the Fast Lane, but looking for a shortcut. It's been a long time since I have read an entrepreneurial book that had more than a few takeaways.

I am tending to go back towards classic literature, and little modern business non-fiction. Reading works by Henry David Thoreau, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and others provides me more intellectual growth than reading Gladwell's misinterpretation of a study. I also confess I wasn't intellectually curious enough to jump from Gladwell's screed to the original study to fact check Gladwell's work. It sure took these guys a long time to debunk it though.

I learn more from random occasional posts here on the forum than I do from most of the business best sellers on the market. There's always the classics (Blue Ocean Strategy, Art of War, MFL, Rich Dad, 4HWW, Discipline of Market Leaders, Steven Covey's stuff, Steven Keys book(s) and several others) that form the nucleus of my recommended business library. I haven't added a book to my recommendations in a LONG time.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Kek. Care to compare? :playful:

Compare your writing vs. his?

His. For a LOT of reasons.

The easiest of which he doesn't use 14 year old teenage girl slang like "kek."

D

Deleted35442

Compare your writing vs. his?

His. For a LOT of reasons.

The easiest of which he doesn't use 14 year old teenage girl slang like "kek."
P astute of you, bruhski. I read Walden and learned of Transcendentalism in high school and since evolved. You're reading this rather late for your age. You'd also know that Thoreau was a staunch anti-materialist and was against technological innovation. Arguably anti-capitalist even, to a point. This goes into detail on it: http://popandlocke.blogspot.com/2007/10/thoreaus-anti-capitalist-message-more.html

I attached a picture of his thirty million dollar net worth and asked you to compare. Since some snowflakes here are sensitive to "haters" I found your title...Daring, hypocritical even for a power-trip mod. The going assumption is that the hating is a result of envying said individuals wealth.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
P astute of you, bruhski. I read Walden and learned of Transcendentalism in high school and since evolved. You're reading this rather late for your age. You'd also know that Thoreau was a staunch anti-materialist and was against technological innovation. Arguably anti-capitalist even, to a point. This goes into detail on it: http://popandlocke.blogspot.com/2007/10/thoreaus-anti-capitalist-message-more.html

I attached a picture of his thirty million dollar net worth and asked you to compare. Since some snowflakes here are sensitive to "haters" I found your title...Daring, hypocritical even for a power-trip mod. The going assumption is that the hating is a result of envying said individuals wealth.

I don't measure people by the zeros in their bank account. That's a huge difference between you and I.

If I did, I would have dismissed one of the posters from this forum that became a best selling author long after her first post.

If I did, I would have gone all in on the richest man I ever knew. He now occupies a 10x8 cell in Leavenworth where he will spend the rest of his life.

If I did, I would have written you off when I learned you were a 25 year old kid living in a van.

If I did, I would have missed the front row seat I have had to several success stories that I witnessed personally that emanated from the pages of this forum.

The older you get, the more you will realize that there's a lot more to life than measuring the value of others by your perception of their net worth. That is a fleeting variable that changes by day.

If I did, I wouldn't be responding to your post. Lastly, if I were a power tripping mod, you wouldn't be here.

Now this thread will move back on topic.

Last edited:

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Suuuuuure, because a guy who is already successful, and who has created literally thousands of posts here, helping aspiring entrepreneurs, is really just a power-hungry dude, eaten up by envy. Oh sure, he's made 7,465 posts, has 32,117 likes, and donates his time and energy to make this forum a great place, but obviously, this was just a ruse to fool us all.

Since you made your post near-midnight, I can only assume this was drunk-logic. BTW, nice try with the phrase, "the going assumption." It's a pretty slick way to imply that you've got a big crowd of people who think the same way. Too bad you don't.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
if I were a power tripping mod, you wouldn't be here.

He has one pinky finger left here at the forum. The rest of his body is out the door. And his sycophants can go with him. I tired of reading his omnipotent snark in my house, and now, directed at my moderators.

That said, this post is the rope... lets see how long it takes to get it hung.

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
So much of what's written lately is just a sophomoric rehash of what was said so much better before:

"Well, in our country," said Alice, still panting a little, "you'd generally get to somewhere else—if you run very fast for a long time, as we've been doing."

"A slow sort of country!" said the Queen. "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I didn't read Gladwell's stuff specifically, but I do have a piece of advice regarding books.*

Ask yourself: has the author walked the walk on the subject?

If the author is a "non-fiction author", don't read it, it's crap.

I'm yet to see myself proven wrong on this.

* = which is the reason I didn't read Gladwell.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
605%
Oct 16, 2014
This greatest harm I see is that Gladwell is giving an excuse to people...and people mop it up. It's the perfect excuse not do to X, Y, and Z...plus A, B, and C. Because people say and think "I don't have 10,000 hours to learn that"

I've seen this even here on the FLF. In particular I remember it thrown out several times in the "is learning to program stupid or smart" thread. The 10,000 hours is offered as a reason not to learn.

But, you know something....I'm probably only a master at 1 thing...but I'm competent and even extremely competent 15-20 things (probably even more depending on how you categorize it). And the only reason is because I didn't ask if I could I just started doing.

And competency is not 10,000 hours. Depending on the skill (and your own aptitudes) it may only be 20 hours, maybe 100, but certainly I can hold my own in most things within at least 200 hours. And I'm willing to bet this is the extreme majority of people, I doubt I'm special in any way.

Am I the world greatest pilot, accountant, programmer, manager, marketer, business man, scuba diver, etc, etc, etc...without a doubt NO.

But am I competent and GOOD enough at these things? Hell yes.

And I'll take competence any day over ignorance.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Gladwell agreed the greats worked their asses off, but he was convinced they were beyond lucky in their circumstance and therefore, we shouldn't really compare ourselves to them because our own situations are not so fortunate.
I don't think he is a pessimist, he may just know his targetted market very well. Those who think it's all luck to become successful in business.

And this is the majority of people. Gladwell may just tell them, exactly what they want to hear or what they already believe.

Last edited:

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Rb3b94d.gif

dipshit here

Last edited: