The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Making Your Bed

Anything related to matters of the mind

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
OP's emotional reaction to the "make your bed thing" is indicating that he needs to try it the most. :)

I mean, what's the big deal. Must have hit a nerve. Lol

For me personally, if that puts me on the mood to get things done for the day, great, if not, it's still an early accomplishment that complements my compounding discipline.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
So just want to point this out. OP's whole argument is based on the assumption that for the 18 hours he is awake, he is literally too busy to spare 1 minute to make his bed.

So for 18 straight hours, every minute is devoted to making cold calls, creating ads on Facebook, designing products, etc.

I really don't think a single person on this forum is that busy that they cannot spare a simple 60 seconds to make a bed.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I kinda see OPs point. Kinda. Like it would be cool to leap out of bed, forget making it, and grab the phone, still undressed, and make a few hundred cold calls.

But where is the self respect? Make your damn bed.
Or just create a robot to make your bed...or some slider machine that folds up the bed like the thing you see in the movie The Fifth Element....
fifthelement-autowash.png

And there you go, another good Fastlane idea awaiting execution....:)

If you are complaining about making beds, turns out there is a huge market for it too because as far as I know no one has solved this problem yet, with this thread as validation.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
So just want to point this out. OP's whole argument is based on the assumption that for the 18 hours he is awake, he is literally too busy to spare 1 minute to make his bed.

So for 18 straight hours, every minute is devoted to making cold calls, creating ads on Facebook, designing products, etc.

I really don't think a single person on this forum is that busy that they cannot spare a simple 60 seconds to make a bed.

This reminds me of a conversation between the owner of the company I work for and our logistics manager.

Boss: Did you call the freight forwarder?
Him: No, but I sent a couple emails and they didn't reply.
Boss: But you didn't call?
Him: No.
Boss: Why?
Him: I was working on the blah blah blah, and didn't have time.
Boss: Have you been to the bathroom today?
Him: (confused look)
Boss: Because if you've had time to piss or shit, then you've had 30 seconds to pick up the phone. Don't tell me you didn't have time.

GastonEE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jun 16, 2017
Estonia
I have a similar problem with washing dishes. On one side no one's gonna do it instead of me, on the other, I can't be bothered. Good thing my partner and I share this chore.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The making the bed story, or washing dishes, or mopping floors...

I take it as...

How you do
anything, is how you do everything.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Yeah man, you know what - you're right.

As I type this, my new servant Mortimer is feeding me my spaghettios. I can't believe how much time I've been wasting! Putting food in your mouth is not something we should do.

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
All this stuff about cold showers and getting up early and making your bed is nothing but a gigantic circle jerk. I was in the military once upon a time, made my bed with hospital corners and spitshined my boots and all that, but these days I roll out of bed when I feel like getting up and leave it just as it is. Then I take a nice hot shower and get to work because I think better when I am unencumbered by trivialities. I just get straight to the point and do what I need to do. Mark Zuckerberg didn't even bother to choose different clothes, he just filled his closet with jeans and green shirts, because he felt that shopping for and choosing different clothes was of little importance.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
And, for the record, I've never liked making my bed (...I'm just going to mess it up later anyway).

Why do you wipe your a$$ if you're going to drop some bait again?

I don't know about anyone else, but I manage to think about something while making my bed, cleaning my room of dust and dog hair and even washing my dishes. So, technically, I don't interpret abovementioned activities as a complete waste of time. Hell, sometimes it's even somewhat meditative, plus my house is always tidy and welcoming and I still manage to focus on business and work on it at least 80h a week.

I am no snob and raised by a single mother working two jobs to make sure I have pants on my a$$ and shoes on my feet, so outsourcing simple tasks like the ones mentioned above doesn't make much sense to me at this stage. But that's just my reality, everyone's different.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I just get straight to the point and do what I need to do.

Perhaps the most important sentence of the thread.

Do what moves the needle.

If making your bed spotless and wrinkle-free is what moves the needle somehow (meditation, motivation, later day productivity) do it. If it doesn't, pass.

Once again, one size does not fit all.

Sean Kaye

Hopium Dealer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
365%
Jun 14, 2017
Sydney, Australia
In mid-2015 I realized I was spending a lot time creating content and value on other people's platforms without getting much in return.

I decided that I would start writing a daily email to my list. I set a target for 2016 of writing 300,000 words on my own platforms.

I started on Feb 2nd, 2016 and haven't missed a daily email in that time - well up over 500 days straight. In 2016, I wrote over 450,000 words and published them via email, physics newsletters and blog posts. That effort created a new six figure revenue stream in 2016.

I attribute my success to one simple rule - I could not go to sleep unless I sent an email that day. There were days where I was writing email at 4am to adhere to that rule.

Making your bed every day in this analogy isn't about activity, IMHO. It's about holding yourself to shit and going through with it, even when you don't want to. It's bigger than discipline, it's about doing the right things every single day.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.