The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lurve stories for fun and profit [progress thread]

AubreyRose

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Hi there, I have been writing and self-publishing romance/erotic romance since January 2012. Profits have been variable and I do enjoy my day job, so for now I'm just a part-timer. Still, hoping to make a decent amount in 2014; I try to focus on writing goals instead of sales goals since I have little control over the latter.

Right now my short-term goal is to finish the sequel to my first romance novel under this pen name. I'm on Chapter 20 right now. I can't post again until I'm onto Chapter 21. How's that for motivation? :tiphat:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AubreyRose

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Pls enlighten us what "lurve" is.
Ermagerd, lurve is the best feeling in the world. You see Amschel, when a man and a woman lurve each other VERY MUCH... :smoking:

Just finished Chapter 20, onto Chapter 21. I use a version of the snowflake method to write, so I have the outline done, just need to write the darn words! I'm at 36000 words right now.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro
Last edited:

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
Welcome to the progress thread club.

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
It is a REAL THRILL to have you here Aubrey!

Your success is an inspiration to me and should be to others regardless of the genre they happen to write in. I look forward to learning about your journey and learning from you in coming months.

Thanks for sharing and welcome again!

britnidanielle

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Aug 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Welcome! Good luck!

AubreyRose

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! Just broke 40k for the story. Shooting for 50-60k with this one and hope to have it done this week.
I think in January I might start work on a tutorial series for how to write a romance novel, since a lot of my friends have been asking about it. I know only like 1% of people will follow through on actually doing the work, though, so we'll see..

Held for Ransom

Butt In Chair
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
436%
Apr 22, 2013
Denver, CO
One percenter here...

Where's the early enrollment form?

AubreyRose

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Just finished the first draft of the novel, woot :) Sending it out to beta readers and doing edits this week and next, then publish time! Eek!

Still working back towards five figures like my best month in 2013. Here's hoping January will be it!

AubreyRose

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Some people compensate beta readers. Do you?
Most of my beta readers are fellow authors, and so we trade beta reads. The others are all fans who are just excited to get the book early and for free, and for them I have special giveaways and sneak previews, etc... but I don't pay them since they all end up reviewing the book and I don't want to get into trouble with buying reviews. For this novel I'll probably send them all free autographed copies after it comes out, though!

AubreyRose

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Just published two things:
- a new adult romance novel (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHD6KJ8/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20)
- a boxed set of previous shifter romance novellas (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHEVSK8/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20)

Working on outlining my next project, also I have a mailing list up for my tutorial webpage, so if you're interested in writing romance, give it a looksie! http://howtowritearomancenovel.com/

I'm hopefully going to start recording and putting up tutorials next week. Kick me in the butt if I don't, k?

GiroudJD

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
361%
Dec 25, 2013
MPLS
I'd price that box-set way higher - don't undersell your work! But great idea on a tutorial webpage, you can easily build that up and monetize the lessons, while growing your brand.

Nice work!

AubreyRose

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
I'd price that box-set way higher - don't undersell your work!
It's not underselling, it's building readership and rank. I price everything at 99 cents the first week to hit all of the subcat bestseller lists for visibility and to give my fans a sale, then bump it up to $2.99. Boxed sets and novels will all end up being $3.99/$4.99 eventually with targeted 99 cent price pulsing to boost rank during my advertising run days when the rank starts to slip. Rank is all-important if you're an unknown, and right now I'm a relative unknown.

This next year will be all about boosting my readership so that I can grow my mailing list - right now I have 1600 subscribers, and it usually gives me 300-600 sales right off the bat when I send out a new release email, which is a nice bump, but not enough to hit the top 20 of the subcat bestseller lists consistently unless I'm lucky with other promotions. And the top 20 is all that matters since it's the front page, unfortunately. So that's my rationale. Hope it helps other people on here with pricing strategy!

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Just published two things:
- a new adult romance novel (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHD6KJ8/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20)
- a boxed set of previous shifter romance novellas (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HHEVSK8/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20)

Working on outlining my next project, also I have a mailing list up for my tutorial webpage, so if you're interested in writing romance, give it a looksie! http://howtowritearomancenovel.com/

I'm hopefully going to start recording and putting up tutorials next week. Kick me in the butt if I don't, k?

hi, i was wondering about the course that you are releasing. Technically how are you going to do this? It looks like youve used wordpress...
are you going to use a membership website plug-in to restrict access to paying customers.
Or are you going to be selling pdfs etc?

The reason i ask is because I have a course that I wrote years ago that I changed into a book but all the audio and flash quizzes etc are just going to waste so I am going to set up a membership website....Ive used amember before but was wondering how you are going to 'sell' the course.

interested to hear about the technical aspect of what you're doing.

ps: lurve the progress

AubreyRose

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
hi, i was wondering about the course that you are releasing. Technically how are you going to do this? It looks like youve used wordpress...
are you going to use a membership website plug-in to restrict access to paying customers.
Or are you going to be selling pdfs etc?
Technically, I have no idea. I'm guessing the first few tutorials will just be embedded Youtube videos, and I'm hoping to have follow up tutorials on promotion and marketing on a platform like Udemy that I can link to as paid content. What do you suggest? I'm completely new to doing something like this, so I'm way open to ideas. Initially at least, the tutorials will all be free. I want to give something back and help other people out with their writing.

AubreyRose

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Woop woop, this year is starting out great! I was worried that October's crazy peak of $20k would be unsustainable without another breakout hit, but November was just under $10k and December was $15k, and January looks to be holding steady at the same pace as December. I have another novel to finish by the end of the month, and two novellas to edit, and then I'm taking a well-deserved 2-week break in Maui.

Tutorials are written up and just got my taping setup done yesterday; will be filming them this week and putting them out before I leave. WHEW! Anything else? Oh yeah, I want to start writing a nonfiction blog to turn into a book about creative entrepreneurs.

New goals for 2014:
- Six figures with writing
- Write and pub at least 40k words a month
- Write, edit, publish a new set of tutorials every month for HTWARN. Looking at possibly turning this into speaking/workshop gigs so that I can get paid to go places and teach people how to write, that would be cool.
- Purchase another property
- Write my nonfiction blog/book
- Don't get fired from my day job while doing all this crap :p

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado

AubreyRose

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
I would, but I really do love my day job (managing a test prep center). My two best friends are there, it's a young, smart, fun workplace, I get a management title on my resume, we have an office dog and a brewery right across the street - it's basically the perfect job except that I don't make six figures, and since I'm right under the CEO, there's no room to get promoted. I have been ratcheting down my hours slowly and delegating a lot of my work out, so I haven't felt the stress too much, but I don't think I'll quit the day job until I'm ready to leave San Diego for good!

Hicks

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 28, 2013
UK
Technically, I have no idea. I'm guessing the first few tutorials will just be embedded Youtube videos, and I'm hoping to have follow up tutorials on promotion and marketing on a platform like Udemy that I can link to as paid content. What do you suggest? I'm completely new to doing something like this, so I'm way open to ideas. Initially at least, the tutorials will all be free. I want to give something back and help other people out with their writing.

Hi, I went off and did a little research which may be of interest to you. If you would like to charge for content on a wordpress site (such as yours) then wishlist http://member.wishlistproducts.com/ seems to be the way to go for simplicity. I found this out via the guy at http://www.membershipacademy.com/ who was really helpful. I hope this helps. It looks like I might go with another product as I don't usually use wordpress but it is tempting at that price and considering how simple it is to install. Let me know what avenue you take. Also I will definitely sign up

AubreyRose

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
Thanks, Hicks, that looks perfect for what I want to do! I will let you know when I try it how it goes..

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I am so impressed with your output. You're a machine!!

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
right now I have 1600 subscribers, and it usually gives me 300-600 sales right off the bat when I send out a new release email

WOW, how long did it take to build up such a huge list? That's pretty darn impressive!

Funny, I was shocked to see that you had a day job. With all the books you've been putting out, I guess I figured you did this full time, or sheesh, double-time. Again, impressive!

AubreyRose

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
WOW, how long did it take to build up such a huge list? That's pretty darn impressive!

Funny, I was shocked to see that you had a day job. With all the books you've been putting out, I guess I figured you did this full time, or sheesh, double-time. Again, impressive!
Not long - this list started in March, I think. It just takes one decent size hit! You'll get there soon enough the way you're going, too :)

Yeah, I like my day job, but I don't think I can do this forever. It's wearing me down..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.