The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Low Dopamine levels and motivation

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Lots of these "motivational" drugs are a close resemblance to speed and cocaine. A drug such as Ritalin is one molecule away from actually being cocaine. Interesting? I thought so too.

I bet if any "un-motivated" or "un-excited" person out there really probed their life they could find SOMETHING throughout their life that they got excited about. Christmas morning presents, birthday parties, these are pretty basic examples, but if you were to capture that mental state on a consistent basis I don't believe you'd need drugs or anything else period. I do this with the kids all day every day (And adults for that matter - but usually they are more stuck in their ways and don't care to change).

It was mentioned by WildFlower that music can be realy motivational and inspiring. If you associate that song with those feelings, you'll feel them every time you hear that song. But on the other hand if you hear a song over and over in other situations, especially in sad or inactive times the song loses potency quick.

Three things that effect your energy levels

1 - Diet
2 - Mental State
3 - Physical Conditioning

Get these under control (and for REAL, not just saying "oh yeah, I do pretty good at that") will increase your energy immediately. I've been playing with this stuff a LOT lately and have got some great results!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
Old thread is old.

Really old.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Old thread is old.

Really old.
The point should not be about how old a thread is but how relevant and with solod info it is, wouldn’t you agree?

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
I have been trying to sort problems with depression and sort my get up and go attitude. Dopamine is also linked to reward "Anyway, when one first learns about dopamine, you learn about a "reward" molecule, the one that makes you feel good. Over time, scientists have found that it's not just about reward with dopamine. Dopamine has a lot more to do with things we like to call salience and value. The salience of a cue is in part related to its strength, and it part related to what its connected with. Basically, a cue is high salience if it gives you a good reason to pay attention. It isn't attention itself, it's being connected to something worth paying attention to. This is connected to the item's value. After all, if it's something I don't value, the article isn't going to be very salient to me, it won't be worth paying attention to." It might've sounded suspect but it is an interesting topic, and so many people don't realise how the brain works, and what makes people so different one person achieving goals and being successful and someone else the exact opposite. I'm sure you've heard of Aspartame and phenylalanine, that's actually known as the love chemical. Basically you will have so much drive and energy BUT it doesn't last forever usually a fews days, and then the brain tolerates it. You're best speaking to your Doctor if you think you have low levels of motivation and see what they suggest. Regs Bry
I've done a fair amount of experimentation on myself in this area, and I do think it's worth keeping as a tool in your arsenal if you struggle with low motivation.

I got started on the topic when I was at my sister's wedding and started chatting with one of the guests. He was a board member of several companies and had helped several entrepreneurs, so I asked him for advice.

But the conversation took a surprising turn. He started guessing things about me, and all of his guesses were right.

He said things like, "And I bet you have trouble motivating yourself to do mundane things, like cleaning your apartment, right?" Yes!

"And you also dive into projects when they're new with an insane level of focus and drive, but when the project gets old, you struggle to follow through?" Yes!

"And in college, you probably waited until the last minute to write a paper or study for a test?" Yes!

It was a whole series of questions like this, and I was like, "How did you know???"

He laughed. Turns out he spent his entire career specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of ADD and ADHD. Apparently, I was a classic case.

So this doctor explained to me that while ADD and ADHD tend to have a stigma, they're actually positively correlated with higher levels of intelligence. The higher your IQ, the more likely it is that you have ADD.

He explained that there's something in your brain called the executive function. The executive function is the thing that decides, "I'm going to do this thing now." It makes the decision to execute. When your executive function is low, you struggle to make those decisions. And you'll particularly struggle when the task is boring or mundane.

So he said that there are two primary ways to self medicate it: (1) Caffeine and (2) Exercise.

He suggested I try consuming caffeine right before the next time I attempt a task that is boring and mundane to stimulate the executive function, and see if it helps.

And the next time I had a task that required focus, he suggested that I do some kind of exercise that left me breathless and sweating just prior to the task.

I've been experimenting with these two mechanisms for several years, and they work.

Come to find out, the reason why they work is because ADD is associated with dopamine being out of whack.

Caffeine gives you a dopamine hit. Vigorous exercise releases endorphins.

So when I experience a lack of motivation, the first place I look is dopamine.

Where I've been having the most success: I'm discovering ways of hacking my dopamine levels so that I trick my brain into getting a dopamine hit for the things that really matter. And that has helped me to not only change my behavior and finally DO those mundane things that I struggle to choose to do, but actually find pleasure in them in the process (instead of forcing myself, dragging myself kicking and screaming through the task).

As the OP said, dopamine is definitely worth looking into as the culprit if you're struggling with low motivation.

D

Deleted50669

As a masters in psychology, I feel confident in saying this is a mute, bullshit point.

Low dopamine and low motivation are correlated, but not directionally causal. They are both the result of low discipline and focus. What happens when you decide to commit to getting in shape? You get motivated. The workout gives you a dopamine rush. What happens when you do cocaine? You get a dopamine rush... do you get motivated?

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
As a masters in psychology, I feel confident in saying this is a moot, bullshit point.

Low dopamine and low motivation are correlated, but not directionally causal. They are both the result of low discipline and focus. What happens when you decide to commit to getting in shape? You get motivated. The workout gives you a dopamine rush. What happens when you do cocaine? You get a dopamine rush... do you get motivated?
Huh. That gives me something to chew on.

Your statement, "are correlated, but not directionally causal," planted a seed of doubt in my mind.

Maybe it's an illusion of causality, similar to the person who says, "Every time I go to the eye doctor, I need stronger glasses. I think my glasses are causing my eyesight to deteriorate." Uh, no, your eyesight would have deteriorated anyway, and the stronger glasses just let you correct your vision back up to 20/20.

I do have to ask, though: you say that "They are both the result of low discipline and focus."

To me, it looks like low dopamine is the cause of low motivation, low discipline, and low focus. Or, at least, one cause among many.

Anecdotally, this seems to be proven in my experience. If I try to drum up motivation, discipline, and focus, it rarely works. But if I do something to boost my dopamine, the motivation, discipline, and focus follow effortlessly.

So I'm curious to know... How do I unravel the illusion, if it is one?

Also, in your illustration about exercise, your point was that if you're motivated to get fit, you go out and exercise. Fair.

But my point is that exercise produces motivation for things that are totally unrelated, such as, "I need the motivation to tidy up my house. If I just start tidying up, it'll take me hours, and at the end of the day, it still won't be done, but I will be reading a book instead of finishing. But if I exercise vigorously first, then it'll take me 45 minutes to whisk through everything and leave it sparking clean." In other words, exercise for me is not a means to the typical end (fitness), but a means to a totally unrelated end.

And it seems to me that the reason is that it unlocks something in my brain, which is ordinarily a bit dysfunctional, but which reaches the "neurotypical" range with the help of some extra neurotransmitters.

Is my thinking totally off?

Last edited:
D

Deleted50669

Huh. That gives me something to chew on.

Your statement, "are correlated, but not directionally causal," planted a seed of doubt in my mind.

Maybe it's an illusion of causality, similar to the person who says, "Every time I go to the eye doctor, I need stronger glasses. I think my glasses are causing my eyesight to deteriorate." Uh, no, your eyesight would have deteriorated anyway, and the stronger glasses just let you correct your vision back up to 20/20.

I do have to ask, though: you say that "They are both the result of low discipline and focus."

To me, it looks like low dopamine is the cause of low motivation, low discipline, and low focus. Or, at least, one cause among many.

Anecdotally, this seems to be proven in my experience. If I try to drum up motivation, discipline, and focus, it rarely works. But if I do something to boost my dopamine, the motivation, discipline, and focus follow effortlessly.

Dopamine / motivation make it easier to be motivated, disciplined, focused, etc. But this comes down to the chicken or the egg paradox. Does one precede the other? Or are they mutually reinforcing? In my own experience, when I commited and focused on my current business endeavor, my dopamine was damn low. I was basically depressed. My motivation to take action was driven by logic and acknowledging reality; "If I want my situation to change, this is how I must act." It wasn't until I made significant progress on this path that I'd say I had any spike in dopamine (in a meaningful way). So, in terms of cause and effect, I'd say dopamine CAN make motivation easier to achieve. My main point earlier is that neurotransmitters should never be used as a scapegoat for lack of focus and unwillingness to take action.

babyballer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Jul 16, 2018
You are correct. Low dopamine is one of the factors of low motivation, low discipline, and focus. If you lack dopamine, you won't get shit done. Some people are blessed with good genetics and epigenetics that they never face this issue. It is all really your biochemistry that determines your lot in life.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
Dopamine / motivation make it easier to be motivated, disciplined, focused, etc. But this comes down to the chicken or the egg paradox. Does one precede the other? Or are they mutually reinforcing? In my own experience, when I commited and focused on my current business endeavor, my dopamine was damn low. I was basically depressed. My motivation to take action was driven by logic and acknowledging reality; "If I want my situation to change, this is how I must act." It wasn't until I made significant progress on this path that I'd say I had any spike in dopamine (in a meaningful way). So, in terms of cause and effect, I'd say dopamine CAN make motivation easier to achieve. My main point earlier is that neurotransmitters should never be used as a scapegoat for lack of focus and unwillingness to take action.

That makes sense. I think there is definitely a chicken / egg paradox in play here. And yeah, I definitely don't agree with using neurotransmitters as a scapegoat -
It is all really your biochemistry that determines your lot in life.
I don't agree with this at all ... I'm definitely not going to consent to my lot in life being predetermined by the genetics of my biochemistry, and just sit on my hands and mope about how I can't get anything done. The version of my life I choose to live will be the very best one I can achieve. And that's why I actually find it kind of exciting to explore the dopamine connection, because it means that I have something to experiment with and tweak, not just a constraint that I'm helpless against.

In my own experience, when I commited and focused on my current business endeavor, my dopamine was damn low. I was basically depressed. My motivation to take action was driven by logic and acknowledging reality; "If I want my situation to change, this is how I must act." It wasn't until I made significant progress on this path that I'd say I had any spike in dopamine (in a meaningful way). So, in terms of cause and effect, I'd say dopamine CAN make motivation easier to achieve.

This is powerful! And I think this is where I've seen some gains myself in areas where I struggle the most - when I can get dopamine to actually spike for the core actions that will move my business forward. I'm exploring a systematic way to accelerate this process by intentionally associating dopamine hits with the behaviors that move the needle. And it is working better than anything else I've ever tried.

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Hi ya,

I just thought I'd mention low levels of dopamine in the brain often mean low levels of motivation and enjoyment in life.

The emotional center of the brain, amygdala, and limbic system, is the high way to all addictions. (Dopamine). The world is constantly manipulating their dopamine level by whatever addiction they have through foreign substances, eating, having sex, trance music, gambling, gaming, and extreme sports.

It's the pain and pleasure center, pain and reward center. Certainly you can go to the psychologist and get some anti-depressants and sedatives to help you calm your nervous system. Another way to manipulate the chemicals. You can do this naturally through physical fitness, meditation, sound therapy. If you really look at the Cult videos back in the 1980's, they all happy dancing around as hippies.

I could totally blow this statement right out of the water with my experience in life. Inner motivation comes from your self-talk, inner dialogue, and if you're going to tell your self all kinds of negative stuff every day and have a war with yourself you go in low arousal and spiral downward into negative thinking and the more you focus on the negative you will spin out of control and sink into depression.

This is also to do with what you're self-medicating yourself with. I believe sometimes medications in general becomes a crutch for some people, because it doesn't make them more motivated always if they're belief system doesn't change. You can take an anti-depressant and sedative and lay around all day unmotivated because you have no purpose or "Why".

I believe there are some individuals who have real mental impairments, but being surrounded by this field my entire life with two relatives working in it and myself, the only objective these people have is sitting around all day and taking medications. They're not motivated at all even though they're dopamine level may be manipulated by medications. Medications are a medical restraint to prohibit certain physical behaviors which may be violent. As a nurse aide with different clients they were given certain medications to calm them down and stop them from being combative. Medications are away to control the behavior.

You tell them to do something and they will not perform tasks because they can't because they're so sedated. But, they're quite intelligent and find the motivation to go hunt for foreign substances, go to a party, and get high or drunk.

When you're talking about the average person they're not motivated because they're sitting around complaining about how they're life sucks. And why does their life suck? Usually because they are getting high or drunk and sitting at a party every weekend or best friends every night. They're self-medicating themselves and basically the same type scenario with some foreign substances restraining themselves from acting. Where you might also have the opposite effect where perhaps you use something like Bath Salts or Cocaine and have someone totally flipping out, but very motivated

I keep asking myself time to time is it really chemical because the brain is neuroplastic. You can manipulate brain chemistry with man-made chemicals. You may have a negative or positive experience.

If you cut all the foreign substances, alcohol, and addictions out of your system, you just feel more alive and motivated. So I guess if you manipulate your dopamine level it might be a good excuse not to be motivated on purpose. Of course, if you're flooding your body with toxins and chemicals you'll be unmotivated to the point you might pass out, be in a coma, or dead.

D

Deleted50669

That makes sense. I think there is definitely a chicken / egg paradox in play here. And yeah, I definitely don't agree with using neurotransmitters as a scapegoat -

I don't agree with this at all ... I'm definitely not going to consent to my lot in life being predetermined by the genetics of my biochemistry, and just sit on my hands and mope about how I can't get anything done. The version of my life I chose to live will be the very best one I can achieve. And that's why I actually find it kind of exciting to explore the dopamine connection, because it means that I have something to experiment with and tweak, not just a constraint that I'm helpless against.

This is powerful! And I think this is where I've seen some gains myself in areas where I struggle the most - when I can get dopamine to actually spike for the core actions that will move my business forward. I'm exploring a systematic way to accelerate this process by intentionally associating dopamine hits with the behaviors that move the needle. And it is working better than anything else I've ever tried.
Every action or behavior a person performs has some type of feedback, even if the feedback is nothing at all. We still interpret the outcome of an action, make sense of it, and process it emotionally. It is emotional processing that influences dopamine levels. Think about a long run. Runners get 'runners high' when they finish. Why? Running physiologically triggers the release of dopamine as a response to levels of physiological arousal and perceptions of accomplishment. In business, closing a deal, getting an algorithm to work, etc, these can all have a similar effect on the mind. This also underpins why some people are resilient in business and some aren't. The resilient ones stay motivated DESPITE failure, having no dopamine, no positive feedback, etc., they do still have hope.

markK

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 8, 2018
Missouri, US
He started guessing things about me, and all of his guesses were right.

He said things like, "And I bet you have trouble motivating yourself to do mundane things, like cleaning your apartment, right?" Yes!

"And you also dive into projects when they're new with an insane level of focus and drive, but when the project gets old, you struggle to follow through?" Yes!

"And in college, you probably waited until the last minute to write a paper or study for a test?" Yes!

It was a whole series of questions like this, and I was like, "How did you know???"

I can totally relate to your responses to these questions.

I also recognize that these are common behaviors of the INTP personality type according to the Myers Briggs personality test. (I did test as an INTP)

Have you @Bekit taken the test? www.16personalities.com
I'm curious if there is a connection or if it's just another observation perspective of the same behavioral patterns??? I'm definitely looking for the unlock...if there is one.
Exercise definitely helps me too.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
I can totally relate to your responses to these questions.

I also recognize that these are common behaviors of the INTP personality type according to the Myers Briggs personality test. (I did test as an INTP)

Have you @Bekit taken the test? www.16personalities.com
I'm curious if there is a connection or if it's just another observation perspective of the same behavioral patterns??? I'm definitely looking for the unlock...if there is one.
Exercise definitely helps me too.
Whoa. Fascinating.

Yeah, I'm an INTP.

Huh.

So what's up with that? I've never put much stock into the Myers Briggs personalities before, but now you have me thinking.

Are all INTP's like this?

And is being an INTP confusingly similar to being ADD?

Last edited:
D

Deleted50669

Whoa. Fascinating.

Yeah, I'm an INTP.

Huh.

So what's up with that? I've never put much stock into the Myers Briggs personalities before, but now you have me thinking.

Myers Briggs is notoriously unreliable. The way that assessment was created wasn't even driven by personality theory, they just ran correlations on items in a survey and labelled them.

http://indiana.edu/~jobtalk/Articles/develop/mbti.pdf

You can't reliably distill a human being to four dimensions.

markK

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 8, 2018
Missouri, US
Whoa. Fascinating.

Yeah, I'm an INTP.

Huh.

So what's up with that? I've never put much stock into the Meyers Briggs personalities before, but now you have me thinking.

Yeah, I kinda thought you might be. I think there are numerous INTP's here on the forum.
I wish I could say that I have cracked the INTP code...nope, not yet.

Yes, I would say that most all INTP's are like this to some degree and also commonly get labeled ADD along with a few other labels.

I would recommend to simply use the labels and the characteristics ascribed to them to become more self-aware of your strengths and deficiencies and learn how to overcome them. It sounds like you are already doing that.
That's great! Keep sharing your insights here, please.

Resist accepting a label as your "identity." There's another thread on the forum that discusses that situation.

Struggling to execute the many ideas and insights that these types have is a pretty common occurrence, along with tidyness, engaging in small talk, and more.

Questions dealing with the INTP type are probably the most common on "Quora." But, let me warn you learning through the questions and answers there can be enlightening, but also an "action faking time sucking black hole" That's a confession.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.