The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lost my job, now what?

chrisbiz4444

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 9, 2013
RI
I just lost my job. I was working at an auto dealership as a manager. However I was let go due to limited funds and high overhead. The question is now what. I really do not want to go work for someone else for little money again. I do not have any special skills like coding or copy ect. What should I do now? I was in the process of getting my RE license but start-up can be fairly expensive with no promise of return. Plus I will not be getting a commission for awhile as closings typically take some time. Advice would be awesome. I am in a tight spot. But I guess pressure makes diamonds right.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Get a new one if you don't have income from your own business. If you already have business income, grow it. Its that simple.

What did you expect to hear from us?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Low cost self employment ideas.

Lots of threads on here with "low cost self employment ideas". :banghead:

I've posted in quite a few of them sharing what's worked for me in the past.

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
Look at being fired as a blessing from the wealth gods. Now you've got the time to go full time with starting a business.

You said you were a manager at a car dealership. Maybe you could get back in with your own this time. They obviously weren't doing something right if they didn't have enough $$$ to keep you on board. You could do it better and run them out of business.

Just an idea.

Lots of businesses can be started & built with a few dollars. I did it. Time to put your thinking cap on.

chrisbiz4444

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 9, 2013
RI
Thank you for the optimistic outlook buddy! And the thinking cap is on tight now lol. Its going to be a long sleepless night of absorbing info tonight lol!

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Can't you just start selling cars on your own? Use the skills that you have.

My uncle owns a pretty big car lot. And guess what...he started with one car. One car became two..Two cars became three...people started telling him to stop. He didn't. 3 cars became 4..now he owns a high end used car lot..he owns multi-million dollar homes and he is into RE as well.

He did this in a time when sites like CraigsList didn't exist. That seems like a pretty good option for you.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Buy and sell cars sounds like a good way to make some money if you know how to buy right. Ask garages if you can buy their trade ins as garages usually sell them on for cheap instead of selling them on their premises. Im sure you know more ways to buy cars as you used to be in the trade. Stay positive!

vtlambo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Mar 10, 2012
Not to be a pessimist but I would sell the 7 series in your pic (if you do own it and if you are in a tight spot for $).

chrisbiz4444

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Aug 9, 2013
RI
Can't you just start selling cars on your own? Use the skills that you have.

My uncle owns a pretty big car lot. And guess what...he started with one car. One car became two..Two cars became three...people started telling him to stop. He didn't. 3 cars became 4..now he owns a high end used car lot..he owns multi-million dollar homes and he is into RE as well.

He did this in a time when sites like CraigsList didn't exist. That seems like a pretty good option for you.

Great post, many guys in the business have started like this. I started 'flipping' cars right out of high school. The money is good. However my state has been really cracking down on guys without dealer licenses, and because reg fees are now being determined by book value on most cars its hard. It can cost a thousand to register some cars taking the profit margin right out. They also have put a limit on how many cars you can reg per year. There are many grey areas and people do float titles. But its not very legal lol!

Windsurfer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jul 5, 2013
Minnesota
You know this gives me an idea. I have a lot of rental tenants who are always asking if they can do some work for pay. I can just put this information in a little report, give it to them and let them figure out if they have the drive to go make it happen. If they don't, well the rent is still due on the first of the month - good luck.

Lagron

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 8, 2013
New Jersey
You lost a job? Have no other income.... people forget, after they lose a job that they have another 1...

Your next one is... TO GET A NEW JOB!.... Work at it 8 hours straight, 5 days a week, you'll be employed in no time...yes it sounds stupid, but its the truth.

Send resumes, make calls, get a job!...

You need income to survive, and as such, you have bills and with this in mind, get a job, so you can survive meagerly so you can get your business off the ground.

This is the end of my post, but your start of a new journey.

harerace

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Dec 18, 2013
Well first, let me congratulate you on being free. I see others are just sooo rude. hahaha . I'm pretty sure you will figure it out. Its crazy that people get jobs because of security and then one day BAM! It happened to me at chase. Last day I ever worked a job.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Your next one is... TO GET A NEW JOB!.... Work at it 8 hours straight, 5 days a week, you'll be employed in no time...yes it sounds stupid, but its the truth.

Only do this if you absolutely have to. Finding a job, especially a really good one, takes a lot of time. Depending on the level, it could take 6 months or more. All of this time and energy could be spent focusing on a sound low-cost business idea.

If you don't have a lot of expenses (i.e. family, spouse, or you live at home or whatever), why not take advantage of all of your new-found free time to make some bucks on your own? Read up on those threads and see what you can do to avoid staying out of the rat race.

That said, there's no shame in taking a job if you need it. Find one quickly, and refocus your energies.

pande

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Nov 5, 2013
Congrats on losing the job. Thats step #1. If you have a family to support do whatever it takes to put the food on the table even if it means getting another job. Step #2 would be to lower your personal expenses. Car payment, mortgage, eating out, etc. Look at how you can trim your current expenses. Step #3, think of a startup and execute!

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
"Just do it" ............Let me explain.... Think real hard for 5 minutes only, and come up with a real tangable business idea in a sector that you are familiar with. Provide a product or service in an open , honest and transparent manner. ( think based on the thickness of your wallet at this time) This plan alone has generated food and shelter for you in the short term.

...Next...."Just master it"..........Let me explain.........Go and perfect this business model to a scalable point that will attract more satisfied end users in an open honest and transparent manner. If your business model does not allow this stay at it till you generate enough income to get out of it for your next scalable venture.This alone will provide all the other requirements including an investment portfolio strategy as explained in MJ 's book........

...I do hope this helps a little and wish you success. Remember poverty means different things to different people.

smartman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Apr 7, 2013
what state are you located in? I am in PA and would love to find someone to partner with where I fronted the money for flipping used cars while they used their knowledge to search out deals and knew what to look for. You have a great skill already that positions you to make a lot of money in that you have extensive auto sales experience.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.