The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for peers: absolute beasts in full stack software engineering

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
Having friends in the same entrepreneurial journey as you is absolutely amazing! However, my friends aren't into technology as much as I am.

Any tips on how to find wannabe absolute beasts in full stack software engineering or mentors who have already become that?

Tried Bumble BFF, MentorCruise, Clarity.fm, CodeMentor, LinkedIn - but no luck. Any tips?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
Start-up co-working spaces.

btw software devs are the most sought after and best paid people in todays startup scene.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Having friends in the same entrepreneurial journey as you is absolutely amazing! However, my friends aren't into technology as much as I am.

Any tips on how to find wannabe absolute beasts in full stack software engineering or mentors who have already become that?

Tried Bumble BFF, MentorCruise, Clarity.fm, CodeMentor, LinkedIn - but no luck. Any tips?
Well, what do you want to know?
Say that you`ve found this absolute beast.
What do you need help with and what can you help with?

EternalStudent

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Apr 4, 2020
Australia

For what it’s worth I don’t think you need to be an “absolute beast” to be an entrepreneur; you only have to be “good enough” to solve the problem directly in front of you.
Yes, the zuck was an absolute beast but he didn’t identify as an entrepreneur, he was an artist that wanted to push his own limits. The money was a byproduct for him.

constbegin

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Apr 21, 2021
Philippines
I think this is more of a "it takes one to know one" kind of thing. You have to know or at least have an idea on how things work in software. If you know how to code, you know your skill level and can see if full stack engineers you encounter are good or not.

Or if you don't know how to code, at least get in an environment where you can work with the wannabe beast engineer you want to work with. Working with them is as close to knowing if that person is really a beast in coding or not.

This is a problem even HR in tech companies encounter. Non-technical hiring managers don't have an idea if the engineers they're hiring are good or bad. They only have the resume and past projects to rely upon. And those things don't show the whole picture of their skill level.

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
Start-up co-working spaces.

btw software devs are the most sought after and best paid people in todays startup scene.
I should have made it clear that I'm looking for skillful software engineers who are also entrepreneurs - decision-makers, CEOs, not just a cog in the machine.

Start-up coworking spaces are a great idea, thanks Knugs!

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
Well, what do you want to know?
Say that you`ve found this absolute beast.
What do you need help with and what can you help with?
I'm looking for people with the same values, general goals to improve the world, and technological interests as me. The point is a mutually beneficial exchange of ideas and feedback to accelerate progress.

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
For what it’s worth I don’t think you need to be an “absolute beast” to be an entrepreneur; you only have to be “good enough” to solve the problem directly in front of you.
Yes, the zuck was an absolute beast but he didn’t identify as an entrepreneur, he was an artist that wanted to push his own limits. The money was a byproduct for him.
I absolutely agree, being an absolute beast is more of a personal desire to realize my potential as a software engineer.

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
I think this is more of a "it takes one to know one" kind of thing. You have to know or at least have an idea on how things work in software. If you know how to code, you know your skill level and can see if full stack engineers you encounter are good or not.

Or if you don't know how to code, at least get in an environment where you can work with the wannabe beast engineer you want to work with. Working with them is as close to knowing if that person is really a beast in coding or not.

This is a problem even HR in tech companies encounter. Non-technical hiring managers don't have an idea if the engineers they're hiring are good or bad. They only have the resume and past projects to rely upon. And those things don't show the whole picture of their skill level.
Completely agree and I think I do a good job at identifying people at or above my skill level in engineering, entrepreneurship, philosophy, and general thinking skills. The challenge has more to do with finding these particular unicorns who simultaneously share my values and general goals to improve the world through technology.

At the moment these are the strategies I have in mind:
1. Start-up co-working spaces
2. Skimming tech and entrepreneurship conferences for such people and contacting them through social media
3. Bumble for business - very convenient. I've met some really nice entrepreneurs, but not techie.
4. Going to tech and entrepreneurship meetups through the Meetup app.

davidpn

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 5, 2019
Canada
Hey André!
What's up?

2 of my interests are programming and entrepreneurship! I've actually come across loads of people (mostly online & some offline) who are/were developers, and have turned into entrepreneurs.

Unfortunately, I don't have any good friends (only a few acquaintances) that are skilled developers & also passionate about entrepreneurship.

However, I can tell you how I found out about some of these people.

- Vacationing in Mexico (at the bus stop & asking them for a photo)
- Increasing my developer network on LinkedIn and coming across many of them through my Feed. Then connecting with these people and coming across even more.
- A paid business group I was in
- Emailing this girl who posted some tips on how she started her business and after talking with her she connected me with a developer/entrepreneur.
- Randomly searching for something that I was working on and then coming across numerous blogs of developer/entrepreneurs.
- Some I found from the 12 startups in 12 month challenge
- Reading content/blogs where in developer communities. There are always some who are entrepreneurial.
- Twitter
- Reddit

And let me tell you how many I found by putting something like "looking to connect with people passionate about programming and entrepreneurship" on some of my social profiles.

A big fat ZERO!

In the majority of the cases I was PROACTIVE! That's the only times where I've actually come across such people.

How long have you been trying for? Are you trying to find someone locally or globally? Or are you being really picky in who you are trying to find?

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
Hey André!
What's up?

2 of my interests are programming and entrepreneurship! I've actually come across loads of people (mostly online & some offline) who are/were developers, and have turned into entrepreneurs.

Unfortunately, I don't have any good friends (only a few acquaintances) that are skilled developers & also passionate about entrepreneurship.

However, I can tell you how I found out about some of these people.

- Vacationing in Mexico (at the bus stop & asking them for a photo)
- Increasing my developer network on LinkedIn and coming across many of them through my Feed. Then connecting with these people and coming across even more.
- A paid business group I was in
- Emailing this girl who posted some tips on how she started her business and after talking with her she connected me with a developer/entrepreneur.
- Randomly searching for something that I was working on and then coming across numerous blogs of developer/entrepreneurs.
- Some I found from the 12 startups in 12 month challenge
- Reading content/blogs where in developer communities. There are always some who are entrepreneurial.
- Twitter
- Reddit

And let me tell you how many I found by putting something like "looking to connect with people passionate about programming and entrepreneurship" on some of my social profiles.

A big fat ZERO!

In the majority of the cases I was PROACTIVE! That's the only times where I've actually come across such people.

How long have you been trying for? Are you trying to find someone locally or globally? Or are you being really picky in who you are trying to find?
Hey David! All good!

Thanks for the reinforcement! I'm expanding my strategies to find such people with your examples, thanks! I feel the same way, proactiveness is the key

D

Deleted50669

Been a full stack / devops for a couple years now, depending on what you mean by "absolute beasts"... I manage multiple availability zones for node.js and golang services.

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
Been a full stack / devops for a couple years now, depending on what you mean by "absolute beasts"... I manage multiple availability zones for node.js and golang services.
Hey 404profound, thanks for reaching out! I've since refined my search to someone with the same values (kind, problem-solver, optimist, rational), interests in tech, general goals to improve the world, and who is also looking for someone with whom to have a mutually beneficial exchange of ideas and feedback to accelerate progress. I'd be happy to connect!

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I'm looking for people with the same values, general goals to improve the world, and technological interests as me. The point is a mutually beneficial exchange of ideas and feedback to accelerate progress.
What idea do you need feedback on, share here, we'll brainstorm it, the forum is good for this.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Check out indiehackers. It's a website that caters to the intersection of software devs and entrepreneurs. It's populated by people in all stages of the process.

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
What idea do you need feedback on, share here, we'll brainstorm it, the forum is good for this.
Thanks for opening that space Alex, but I prefer having a more personalized mastermind :) If something big comes up, I'll be sure to ask the forum, thanks

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
Check out indiehackers. It's a website that caters to the intersection of software devs and entrepreneurs. It's populated by people in all stages of the process.
That's a great idea lowtek, I'll definitely explore that, thanks!

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Make friends with someone in marketing - that will take your entrepreneurial career much farther than meeting more tech people.

peddletothemetal

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 5, 2021
You could go work for a startup. Probably your best bet.

Think, if you were an "absolute beast", "rockstar", "gun", "weapon", "wizard", or whatever other douchey phrase is flavour of the day for a flashy mid-level wrecking ball dev who often causes more harm than good, who is also an entrepeneur, where would you be?

You'd be either working on your startup, or enjoying your life as a rich tech startup-exited elite. In the first case, they have no interest in hanging out with wannabes, with perhaps the exception of after work drinks or outings with their employees. In the second case, you need to have something else to offer in exchange for them to want to hang out with you, but it's often of little value to you because think: if you were a rich tech elite what would you be doing? Not coding, and probably a lot less entrepeneuring.

So logically seems getting a job at a startup is your best realistic option.

I suppose the entrepeneurial equivalent would be to work out a service that those types often want (although that's chicken & egg) and start a business offering that too them.

A service that connects wrecking ball devs to schools for visiting seminars where they can express their (always) strong opinions on stylistic technicalities etc, which they definitely will enjoy.

Last edited:

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
Make friends with someone in marketing - that will take your entrepreneurial career much farther than meeting more tech people.
Great advice! My two best friends are marketers and I've learned a great deal from them, particularly through the books they recommended.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
Curious, what is your experience with tech?

André Casal

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 1, 2018
Curious, what is your experience with tech?
I was a freelance software engineer for about 5 years. Then I fully switched to tutoring college students on computer science because of my love for teaching. I've been doing this for about 15 years.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
D

Deleted50669

Hey 404profound, thanks for reaching out! I've since refined my search to someone with the same values (kind, problem-solver, optimist, rational), interests in tech, general goals to improve the world, and who is also looking for someone with whom to have a mutually beneficial exchange of ideas and feedback to accelerate progress. I'd be happy to connect!
You wouldn't like me, beggars can't be choosers. Peace ;P

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.