The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Living in the BMW

EthanSimonton

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jul 24, 2016
Hello All!

My name is Ethan. I'm from Denver, Colorado originally. But, I am in the middle of a year long adventure around the country. Every month I live in a different city and develop one new healthy habit. I stack the habits on top of each other each month. This is my 9th month on the adventure, and I am currently living in a small cabin in Alaska. I've read the Fastland Millionaire a couple of times and constantly return back to it. After reading quite a few business books, I have to say TMF is by far my favorite.

A little bit of background on me. I created my own degree in college and graduated with a B.S. Degree in Social Entrepreneurship. (Total waste of time and money) On the job front, I have been working at engineering firms since I was 19 as a CAD drafter (I'm 24 currently.) Currently, I am a contractor for PG&E out of California. I work remotely which has allowed me to travel around the country. This is proven to be expensive so, I have started to live out of my BMW sedan in most of the cities. (So far I have lived in my car in Manhattan, Seattle, and Portland.) I have been pouring the thousands I am saving on rent into a company I am starting, and paying off debt.

My plans and ambitions...

- Continue living in my car until I pay off my debt and my start-up covers expenses
- Start and grow a start-up called EngineerU (I might create a progress thread here)
- Read every post made by MJ (See below)
- Read 1-2 books a week
- Retire by the time I am 30

Inspired by "MJ's Free mentor" thread I decided to join the forum to accomplish his challenge. I am currently reading every single post that MJ has made since he started posting July 23, 2007. I am documenting every post by copying and pasting them into a word document. Currently I am on page 356 in the word document, and I have only made it to May 10, 2008. I hope to share this file with everyone once I am done along with a list of all of MJ's best quotes. I apologize that I won't be posting much on the forum, as I am busy working on starting my business and reading all of MJ's posts. But, I hope to add value to the forum once I share the final document with everyone. I expect it to be about 3000-4000 pages long.

IMG_5213.jpg

IMG_5196.jpg

It's great to be here. Any questions?

Back to the hustle,
Ethan Simonton

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
I guess ill do the honors on this one, I'm good with dirty work i guess..

Bro, i hate to be the messenger of bad news but you can't get rich off of income, its virtually impossible. You get rich not by saving and lowering your expenses, you get rich by equity in transactions and increasing revenue.

Yes, we get it, your so dedicated you will live in your car and that is fine but no one on here or in real life gives a shit. More people aren't gonna buy your product or service because you live in your car, probably a lot less if your selling door to door lol.

You look young and confused, take this as a wake up call. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

IrishSpring600

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 24, 2013

Bro, i hate to be the messenger of bad news but you can't get rich off of income, its virtually impossible. You get rich not by saving and lowering your expenses, you get rich by equity in transactions and increasing revenue.

Yes, we get it, your so dedicated you will live in your car and that is fine but no one on here or in real life gives a shit. More people aren't gonna buy your product or service because you live in your car, probably a lot less if your selling door to door lol.

You look young and confused, take this as a wake up call. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Actually no, just create an instagram account called "LivingInTheBMW", post content of your travels, amass followers, affiliate market, win.

Can any other IG marketers shed light?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

- Continue living in my car until I pay off my debt and my start-up covers expenses
- Start and grow a start-up called EngineerU (I might create a progress thread here)

/QUOTE]

He didn't say he was going to become rich by saving money. He's enjoying his youth and traveling the country. The money he is saving by not paying rent he's putting into his startup which has nothing to do with living in a car.

Sounds interesting man, looking forward to hearing more!

mrarcher

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jan 26, 2016
Scotland
Hello All!

My name is Ethan. I'm from Denver, Colorado originally. But, I am in the middle of a year long adventure around the country. Every month I live in a different city and develop one new healthy habit. I stack the habits on top of each other each month. This is my 9th month on the adventure, and I am currently living in a small cabin in Alaska. I've read the Fastland Millionaire a couple of times and constantly return back to it. After reading quite a few business books, I have to say TMF is by far my favorite.

A little bit of background on me. I created my own degree in college and graduated with a B.S. Degree in Social Entrepreneurship. (Total waste of time and money) On the job front, I have been working at engineering firms since I was 19 as a CAD drafter (I'm 24 currently.) Currently, I am a contractor for PG&E out of California. I work remotely which has allowed me to travel around the country. This is proven to be expensive so, I have started to live out of my BMW sedan in most of the cities. (So far I have lived in my car in Manhattan, Seattle, and Portland.) I have been pouring the thousands I am saving on rent into a company I am starting, and paying off debt.

- Read every post made by MJ (See below)
- Read 1-2 books a week
- Retire by the time I am 30

Inspired by "MJ's Free mentor" thread I decided to join the forum to accomplish his challenge. I am currently reading every single post that MJ has made since he started posting July 23, 2007. I am documenting every post by copying and pasting them into a word document. Currently I am on page 356 in the word document, and I have only made it to May 10, 2008. I hope to share this file with everyone once I am done along with a list of all of MJ's best quotes. I apologize that I won't be posting much on the forum, as I am busy working on starting my business and reading all of MJ's posts. But, I hope to add value to the forum once I share the final document with everyone. I expect it to be about 3000-4000 pages long.

IMG_5213.jpg

IMG_5196.jpg

It's great to be here. Any questions?

Back to the hustle,
Ethan Simonton
A little goal you could think about adding is to make a friend in every place you stay. You can't have too many friends! Good luck buddy!

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
great work young man. you are eons ahead of your pathetic millenial generation. I commend your efforts. I too lived in my truck for one year because of similar issues (this was YEARS ago when our dollars went a lot further) and i didnt have any regrets.

best of luck to you endeavors and success will def come your way

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
A little goal you could think about adding is to make a friend in every place you stay. You can't have too many friends! Good luck buddy!

^^^^ ingenius. you could have connections in the lower 48 + canada and even mexico

EthanSimonton

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jul 24, 2016

I think you misunderstood my post.

I understand that you can't get rich off of a salary. This is exactly why I am lowering my expenses as far as possible. To create a large margin between my income and my expenses. Thus, I can invest more time and money into building my business. Also, since my expenses are very low, it will be much easier for me to start a business that can cover my expenses quickly. Thus, I can quit my job quicker to focus 100% of my time on building cash flow producing assets. Resulting in the expansion of my wealth.

Even MJ has spoken on this multiple times...

"The slowlane is a precursor to a fastlane. If anyone here believes that I am advocating a lifestyle of lavish spending, living outside of their means, immediate gratification over delayed gratification, they have the wrong message."

"Sometimes you gotta use the slowlane to get to the fastlane. The slowlane is frugality and saving"

"However one caveat is that it is difficult to get to the fast lane without first hanging out in the slow lane."

Oh, and selling door-to-door is not a fastlane business. I'm building a fastlane business.

Living in my car is for me...not for other people. Not only is it about saving money, it's about the building the mindset. I will do whatever it takes to be successful even if that means living in my car. I'm not confused. I'm focused, motivated, and disciplined. See you in the fastlane.

Last edited:

EthanSimonton

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jul 24, 2016
I'm pretty sure he gets that.
He could blog about it and maybe people will read it. He's saving money to reinvest it in his business. That's smart.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Ryan! Thanks for backing me up. I actually was vlogging for awhile. But, it wasn't really taking off. So, I decided to focus on a business model with more potential.

Actually no, just create an instagram account called "LivingInTheBMW", post content of your travels, amass followers, affiliate market, win.

Can any other IG marketers shed light?

Hey man! I like that idea. I have an instagram account that I have been sharing pictures of my adventures, but I haven't put a lot of focus on it.

He didn't say he was going to become rich by saving money. He's enjoying his youth and traveling the country. The money he is saving by not paying rent he's putting into his startup which has nothing to do with living in a car.

Sounds interesting man, looking forward to hearing more!

Thanks Scott for actually reading my post. haha You got it exactly right. I figured since I'm young and single, I might as well travel around the country while I have a chance. Then, things got too expensive so I decided to save money by living in my car. The extra money I save I put into starting the business.

Yes! I agree this is a very good idea. I have been going to entrepreneurial conferences as I travel around. This has really helped to build my network. I also now have friends I can go to visit in many different cities.

great work young man. you are eons ahead of your pathetic millenial generation. I commend your efforts. I too lived in my truck for one year because of similar issues (this was YEARS ago when our dollars went a lot further) and i didnt have any regrets.

best of luck to you endeavors and success will def come your way

^^^^ ingenius. you could have connections in the lower 48 + canada and even mexico

Thanks for the support! I actually have started to really enjoy living in my car. I'm sure as you know from the time you lived in your truck, that it isn't half bad.

G

GuestUserX09

I was confused at first by your profile pic, I thought you were living out of an M4 o_O

But all sounds cool- I just have to agree with @458 -I'll just restate my opinion on his comment.. You're obviously hustling quite a bit but the "living in the car" part has zero tangible value outside of how much you're saving on rent. You may find it more beneficial to pay $500/mo city to city to live in a cheapo apartment so at least you'll have a shower and full size bed. The conquest story may sound great and possibly make a great intro when you pitch to investors one day but be careful not to over-estimate the returns of your story, especially when you're in it by choice.

About that document- I would love to get a copy but 4k pages is wild. If that isn't your business by compiling that, there's no way I'd invest that time into making that happen...

EthanSimonton

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jul 24, 2016
I was confused at first by your profile pic, I thought you were living out of an M4 o_O

But all sounds cool- I just have to agree with @458 -I'll just restate my opinion on his comment.. You're obviously hustling quite a bit but the "living in the car" part has zero tangible value outside of how much you're saving on rent. You may find it more beneficial to pay $500/mo city to city to live in a cheapo apartment so at least you'll have a shower and full size bed. The conquest story may sound great and possibly make a great intro when you pitch to investors one day but be careful not to over-estimate the returns of your story, especially when you're in it by choice.

About that document- I would love to get a copy but 4k pages is wild. If that isn't your business by compiling that, there's no way I'd invest that time into making that happen...

I've changed my profile picture to prevent confusion lol

I definitely see what you are saying about living in the car. But, some of the places I have been traveling it is very hard to find a cheap apartment for a one month. The argument could be made that I should just stop traveling and live in a small town and get a cheap apartment. But, I made a commitment to myself and to the public that I was going to finish the trip. I don't want to be known as a person that starts something but, doesn't finish.

I would agree, living in the car doesn't have a lot of tangible benefits. It's all of the intangibles that I am going after..

- I have been able to get some good PR and press from living in my car, people tend to think its interesting
- It's helping me to build a mindset that I'm going to make sacrifices and do what others aren't willing todo to be successful
- I have to be resourceful and face fear
- I'm not afraid of failing at a business now, I can take larger risks than most people. What's the worst that can happen? I have to live on the streets or in my car? I've already done that.
- I need to toughen up
- A lot of successful entrepreneurs had rough lives or childhoods. Their drive and motivation came from wanting to get out of uncomfortable situations. My life has been very comfortable for the most part. I think it's easy to get stuck and settle when your live is to comfortable. So, I am voluntarily putting myself in this situation to help keep me motivated.

Will living in my car insure I am successful? No, but it has been helping build my savings, and more importantly a success mind set.

The MJ document isn't part of my business. He has all rights to what he has written. Thus, I can't profit from it unless he gives me permission. I am doing it because I need a mentor. I see this as one way I can learn a vast amount, while also giving back.

Random_0

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 4, 2016
What BMW is that?

How did you get your seats to do that? Mine can't move at all, I think it's called the Winter Pack or some crap. Yours looks like you just ripped them out!

G

GuestUserX09

But, I made a commitment to myself and to the public that I was going to finish the trip. I don't want to be known as a person that starts something but, doesn't finish.

Lol you didn't have to change your pic. I quoted the above because, I believe that "strategic giving up" is best. I can relate with the need to toughen up and such- I'm doing something of that nature myself the last couple of months and its proving to be very valuable. However, it's nowhere as painstaking as your measures.

You don't necessarily have to be in poverty to understand the hustle you need to have. Some things like reading biographies of hardships, volunteering at the homeless shelter, etc. can all provide similar motivation and toughness. I think reading "Man's search for meaning" by Victor Frankle did many practical wonders to my perspective of what "hard work" is. And It all happened from the comfort of my bedroom.

Just a disclaimer, I believe what I say to people on here but I don't claim to know what I'm talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
no problem! yes lucklily my truck was a diesel so it got good mileage at least haha and was really dependable CUMMINS baby haha

anyway, it will be an experience you will never forget for the rest of your life. Its the kind of story that makes it to the big screens or in an autobiography. stone cold liveed in his truck back when he first started in his early semi pro wrestling days. quite amazing really

EthanSimonton

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jul 24, 2016
What BMW is that?

How did you get your seats to do that? Mine can't move at all, I think it's called the Winter Pack or some crap. Yours looks like you just ripped them out!

It's a 2005 330i with Performance Package. Yeah, my backseat didn't fold down. So I took the back cushion and flipped it around. It fits behind the front seats now. I then took a jigsaw and a grinder and removed a large piece of sheet metal that divides the trunk from the cabin. It ended up being a pain, but I'm glad I did it. I'm 5' 11" and I am almost able to stretch my legs all the way.

Lol you didn't have to change your pic. I quoted the above because, I believe that "strategic giving up" is best. I can relate with the need to toughen up and such- I'm doing something of that nature myself the last couple of months and its proving to be very valuable. However, it's nowhere as painstaking as your measures.

You don't necessarily have to be in poverty to understand the hustle you need to have. Some things like reading biographies of hardships, volunteering at the homeless shelter, etc. can all provide similar motivation and toughness. I think reading "Man's search for meaning" by Victor Frankle did many practical wonders to my perspective of what "hard work" is. And It all happened from the comfort of my bedroom.

Just a disclaimer, I believe what I say to people on here but I don't claim to know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the book recommendation! I will have to put that on my list of books to read. Through the months I have been doing this, I have found that experimentation has had a profound affect on me. For example, I lived on the streets of New Orleans for a weekend. The point of the experiment was to force myself to experience gratitude. Before this, I fasted for 5 days to feel grateful for food. While I was on the streets, I ended up dancing on the side of the street to make enough money to buy food. I learned more over that weekend about entrepreneurship than all of my business courses combined. A very powerful experience indeed. I love reading, but I've been learning that getting my hands dirty can teach me so much.

no problem! yes lucklily my truck was a diesel so it got good mileage at least haha and was really dependable CUMMINS baby haha

anyway, it will be an experience you will never forget for the rest of your life. Its the kind of story that makes it to the big screens or in an autobiography. stone cold liveed in his truck back when he first started in his early semi pro wrestling days. quite amazing really

Haha! Yes, your truck had something my BMW doesn't have..dependability. That's so awesome to hear about your story. Especially that you were able to keep it up for a year.

Hm, that's interesting. I hadn't heard about stone cold doing that. I might have to look it up. I've found living in a vehicle really isn't as bad as a lot of people say.

Random_0

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 4, 2016
It's a 2005 330i

Verrryy nice. I've got a 2010 320d (efficient dyanmics) because it's economical and insurance at my age would be way too high for anything over 180-200bhp. I'm very tempted to get an '05-2010 330i next year-ish... i've been looking at some old m4/m5's online that look gorgeous.

2010_BMW_320d_EfficientDynamics.jpg

That's not mine, but its exactly the same (colour, rims and styling pack)

I then took a jigsaw and a grinder and removed a large piece of sheet metal

You crazy bastard :eek:

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
It's a 2005 330i with Performance Package. Y

Hm, that's interesting. I hadn't heard about stone cold doing that. I might have to look it up. I've found living in a vehicle really isn't as bad as a lot of people say.

yes it was on youtube in an uncut interview he had down two years back (circa 2014) he said when he got out of UNT (university ofnorth texas) he did labouring jobs in docks and warehouses i believe and then he got his break as a semi pro wrestler and literally had only enough money to eat a bag of potatoes and can of tuna a day. He ate them potatoes raw too. That man really struggled in the beginning and then worked out and worked hard and then eventually got his big break and sponsorship

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
I cant help but respect his work ethic. till this day he still works hard and does what one of my life goals is. own a big ranch to do whatever the F*** i want to ! Lol. he bought a beautiful 2200 acre ranch broken skull ranch in south central texas and its paid off immensely

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
Don't you need an address for registering your vehicle/insurance, bank accounts and company?

How do you get around this without an address?

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
Don't you need an address for registering your vehicle/insurance, bank accounts and company?

he could get a UPS box with his parents address initially on application and obvously opts for all online paperless e statements.

RyanSki

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Mar 17, 2014

He could use Earth Class Mail. You use them as your shipping address and they will scan all your mail and then email it you.

EthanSimonton

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jul 24, 2016
I cant help but respect his work ethic. till this day he still works hard and does what one of my life goals is. own a big ranch to do whatever the F*** i want to ! Lol. he bought a beautiful 2200 acre ranch broken skull ranch in south central texas and its paid off immensely

Thanks for sharing that video! That's pretty wild stuff. You are right, gotta admire his hard work.

I've just been using my parents address for the time being. They live in Colorado. Technically, I am still a resident of Colorado since I only stay in each of the cities I travel to for 1 month.

Once I register the business, it is going to get trickier. I haven't decided which state to register the business in yet. If I have to, I will use Earth Class Mail like Ryan Ski suggested.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Honestly, this is pretty awesome. Even if you had no drive to start a business. Traveling is one thing. Living out of a car for months on end AND TRAVELING, now that's a story! Some of my favorite memories when traveling was when we were homeless in foreign countries and sleeping in major cities. Scary as hell at the time, but those are the funny story's I remember.

Keep it up @EthanSimonton Let me know when you're in Massachusetts or New York :tiphat:

As for the business end, I think it can be a good motivator. I can't see there being a whole lot of distractions when working in your car. Could set up a hard working environment, plus the freedom to know your not tied down must be a psychological relief!

EthanSimonton

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jul 24, 2016
Honestly, this is pretty awesome. Even if you had no drive to start a business. Traveling is one thing. Living out of a car for months on end AND TRAVELING, now that's a story! Some of my favorite memories when traveling was when we were homeless in foreign countries and sleeping in major cities. Scary as hell at the time, but those are the funny story's I remember.

Keep it up @EthanSimonton Let me know when you're in Massachusetts or New York :tiphat:

As for the business end, I think it can be a good motivator. I can't see there being a whole lot of distractions when working in your car. Could set up a hard working environment, plus the freedom to know your not tied down must be a psychological relief!

Thanks Mikkel for the kind words! You have been a bit more welcoming then my friend 458.

I can't imagine being homeless and sleeping in major foreign cities! Sleeping in a park in New Orleans for a weekend was scary enough for me. But, those times definitely make for some good stories.

Dang, I was just in Boston and New York back in June. Actually, NYC was the first place that I lived in my car. I have to say that was pretty wild, especially as a girl was living in my car with me on the streets of manhattan. I'm sure I'll be back to NYC. I made some friends there I would like to visit.

You are definitely right. Living in the car leaves very few distractions. Especially now that a girl isn't living in the car with me. lol It also forces me to spend most of my days at coffee shops working. It's also nice knowing that I can pick up and move to a different city at any time.

Ricardo's

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Sep 7, 2016
Denver ✈️ Chicago
Hey Ethan, I also agree that sometimes you must force yourself into uncomfortable situations in order to fortify your mindset. I did the same when I chose to move from Chicago to Denver.

Living in your car is basically bootstrapping at its finest. Just one question, what is EngineerU and what is your target customer?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

EthanSimonton

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jul 24, 2016
Hey Ethan, I also agree that sometimes you must force yourself into uncomfortable situations in order to fortify your mindset. I did the same when I chose to move from Chicago to Denver.

Living in your car is basically bootstrapping at its finest. Just one question, what is EngineerU and what is your target customer?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

In some ways your story sounds sort of similar to MJs. At least the part where he moved from Chicago to a different city to pursue a business. I know that he says he probably wouldn't be where he is today otherwise.

EngineerU is an online engineering education startup. It'll teach engineers (Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, and Chemical) the applicable skill sets that college doesn't teach them. In the long-term I could see the possibility of partnering with engineering firms and creating an online community of engineers.

Here is the target market avatar:

- Men
- 18-30
- English Speaking
- Frustrated that they aren't or didn't learn practical engineering knowledge in college
- Want to learn what it is really like to be an engineer
- Can't decided if they should become an engineer or not/aren't sure which discpline to study
- Looking to be more competitive when applying for jobs or internships
- Realize they need connections in the industry
or
- Has a job, but is looking to advance quickly, or needs a online to resource to help train them
- Has a job, and was asked to complete an effort they don't know how to complete

Eventually, I could see the program being sold to engineering firms that want to train their employees less expensively than paying senior engineers to train the junior engineers. An online resource for their employees to search when they have a question.

Ricardo's

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Sep 7, 2016
Denver ✈️ Chicago
In some ways your story sounds sort of similar to MJs. At least the part where he moved from Chicago to a different city to pursue a business. I know that he says he probably wouldn't be where he is today otherwise.

EngineerU is an online engineering education startup. It'll teach engineers (Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, and Chemical) the applicable skill sets that college doesn't teach them. In the long-term I could see the possibility of partnering with engineering firms and creating an online community of engineers.

Here is the target market avatar:

- Men
- 18-30
- English Speaking
- Frustrated that they aren't or didn't learn practical engineering knowledge in college
- Want to learn what it is really like to be an engineer
- Can't decided if they should become an engineer or not/aren't sure which discpline to study
- Looking to be more competitive when applying for jobs or internships
- Realize they need connections in the industry
or
- Has a job, but is looking to advance quickly, or needs a online to resource to help train them
- Has a job, and was asked to complete an effort they don't know how to complete

Eventually, I could see the program being sold to engineering firms that want to train their employees less expensively than paying senior engineers to train the junior engineers. An online resource for their employees to search when they have a question.
Have you looked into creating a course for Udemy to test the market?

I've read about people making a killing in education through that platform and it may speed up the date you start seeing your dream plant you some money trees. [emoji106]

EthanSimonton

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jul 24, 2016
Have you looked into creating a course for Udemy to test the market?

I've read about people making a killing in education through that platform and it may speed up the date you start seeing your dream plant you some money trees. [emoji106]

Thanks for the advice! I have considered making a course for udemy to test the market. What I'm concerned about is the how well I would be able to test the market for the overall idea on udemy. If I made a course on udemy and it did well, I would know people want to learn about that specific topic. But, what about all the other topics. I am looking for the revenue model to be a subscription. But you are right, it would help to bring in some money. There is someone who has made a udemy course on a couple of topics that we would be covering in our courses. He has sold 6,000 copies for $100 each. So, I almost feel like he has done some of the validation for me. There is also one company out there doing something similar on there own independent platform that has been around for 15 years. But, they aren't marketing to younger generation, charge very high prices, and have older courses.

So, what I am thinking for validation is..

Phase 1
- Create a landing page. This landing page would have all the features and benefits stated of the fully built out business. Then an opt-in for people's email address to notify when we launch.
- Split test different versions of the landing page
- Run Facebook Ads to this landing page

... If successful move on to validation part two.

Phase 2
- Run an extensive kickstarter campaign.
- Use the emails collected from phase 1 to help get the ball rolling.

or..
Do you think a udemy course would be the best first move?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...