The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

List of money making websites for-sale

joshgesler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 28, 2009
Walla Walla, WA
I once happened upon a site that was basically a classifieds listing of a bunch of "online businesses" for sale. They were mostly forums and things like that, but they would list how much they made per month and then how much they were selling for. Now I can't seem to be able to find it again. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and can refresh my memory?

Thanks,

Josh

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
Do you know what a lot of them were going for or just varied? I'd like to know also if someone has info on it.

joshgesler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 28, 2009
Walla Walla, WA
It was pretty varied. It listed the description, price, and revenue for each one. It was very similar to flippa. I'm not sure why I didn't bookmark it. :-(

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
It was pretty varied. It listed the description, price, and revenue for each one. It was very similar to flippa. I'm not sure why I didn't bookmark it. :-(

It was most likley Marketplace.sitepoint.com but that is now Flippa. The marketplace grew so much they made it its own site.

joshgesler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 28, 2009
Walla Walla, WA
Thanks Jonleehacker, that looks like a great list.

I've been thinking about forums recently because once they are established, they just run themselves. New content is generated free of charge and with content comes traffic. You might not make millions in advertising, but you won't have to spend a lot of time taking care of the thing either. Most forum moderators do it just for status in the forum so there is no cost there. We are all using a forum right now and every day we develop more content and create more traffic.

While it would be nice to buy a forum that is already established, you could also develop a new one. The trick would be to watch for upcoming trends and build a forum to critical mass before anyone else.

Maybe I should start a new topic, but there is a lot of talk about affiliate marketing and building information products on this site. Does anyone have any insight into quickly building online topic based communities?

Josh

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I was thinking about buying a web site for a while, but I found that many of them are generic and you can most likely just duplicate or even improve their business model for a fraction of their asking price. But on the flip side, if you're looking for instant monthly income and don't want to bother starting a site than buying might be better suited for you.

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
I was looking at Flippa to maybe buy a site. How do I distinguish between real and not real? Many tell you how much the site is making and the rankings and even proof but how can I determine if they are telling the truth and the site will actually make some money? I realize there are no guarantees I just want to make sure I am not buying somebody else’s headache that they are looking to unload that really makes next to nothing.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I really think this is the way to really gain cashflow. When you can buy an established site for say 175k that profits 50k per year with room for improvements....three years time you own it free and clear and probably profiting closer to 100k a year. You can do it on a smaller scale as well.

Mostly though, I see a ton of junk on the market websites. If it has good cashflow currently, usually it is in some "hot market" of two years ago and it is obviously it will not continue. For the most part, I think you need to invest in the higher priced sites to really get into the good deals.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I was looking at Flippa to maybe buy a site. How do I distinguish between real and not real? Many tell you how much the site is making and the rankings and even proof but how can I determine if they are telling the truth and the site will actually make some money? I realize there are no guarantees I just want to make sure I am not buying somebody else’s headache that they are looking to unload that really makes next to nothing.

The best way to get "proof" is to ask them to grant you access to their Google Analytics account. Then you can watch for a couple days and see where their traffic is coming from and if they have the analytics setup properly, see if it is converting at the rate they claim.

We very wary of any screenshots of earnings, they can be faked very easily.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.