The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Life Altering Choices - Yours?

royemunson

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 24, 2007
SW Ohio
My life altering choice(s) happened in the same year. I was twenty two on the path they send you down knowing that things didn't seem right (college and all that crap).

I decided to move back home with my parents (I was going to college in a neighboring city) and had to drive. Got a job at a restaurant where on my second day my soon to be wife walked in the door.

Now I am not one for love at first site, but boy do I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember everything about her and knew I had to pursue this girl. 4 months later we were engaged, 1 year later married, and we just celebrated our 6 year annvy on sept 8th.

That same time I joined my first network marketing company which later became a failure but huge learning experience. we did well enough from the get go to hob nob with the big dogs in the company and opening my eyes up to the end of the rainbow so to speak. On the negative side, the failing of that biz made me question a lot of things and have to overcome many many challenges internally which made my twenties tough. I lost focus and wasn't sure how to proceed.

That is starting to change with the help of others like yourselves. I am not at my destination yet, but am on the way and know I'll get there. I am enjoying the process thus far. My next step is to set some big goals that are achievable as I've seen others here accomplish them b/c of their beliefs.

This time period also made me sit down adn start setting goals at the beginning of each year which 80-100% of them always are accomplished. Some I have no idea how but we make it - for ex. we had a bunch of c/c debt over the last 5 years. our goal was to pay off 3 c/c in 2007. As of today, we did it.

Dream big

Joe

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
Ahh, many.

Quitting a VERY high paying job, knowing that my health and my family were more important. 2001

Setting a financial goal and getting it accommplished after the above life changing event which left us bankrupt. 2005

Picking up and moving across the country to move forward toward financial independence and retirememnt. 2006

Taking action with real estate investing. 2007

ALWAYS having the faith that I don't need to worry about anything because good or bad, deep inside I know the truth is that everything will work out.

Micklee

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Sep 4, 2007
NJ
Wanted to respond to this when it was first posted but was having probs posting til today. Thanks again MJ!

A LAC for me was going to Tony Robbins 3-day seminar, Unleash the Power Within. A friend had gone to a few of his seminars and convinced me to go to get out of my rut and push foward.

It totally set my life on a different path. Looks cheesy on the outside but spend 3 very intense days with this guy and you'll come out feeling like you can take on the world! I even walked on fire; which is just a metaphor. If you can walk on fire with your bare feet you can do almost anything.

What I appreciate about his approach is that he's direct. Works for me. I got so much out of it I volunteered the following year as a way of giving back (and walked on fire again!). Added bonus- it's a great place to network with outstanding successful people. :smxB:

cynabyte

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Oct 21, 2007
North Branch, MI
LAC – Deciding to read Rich Dad Poor Dad which led me to purchase the 3 “RDPD classicsâ€, Cash Flow 101, Sales Dog, Be a Multimillionaire Real Estate Investor, and the Choose to Be Rich program among a handful of other books, this also led me to the Rich Dad Poor Dad forums which led me to the Fast Lane Forums (WOW this forum alone has been pretty life changing)

I have found many interesting things out about myself over the past couple months for example

1. I started putting together a Real Estate Deal for a co-worker in foreclosure started getting excited and then found out that it wasn’t going to happen. With out any investment except some time in brain storming I felt crushed. Unconsciously negative thoughts started to creep in and I felt my body chemistry start to change, it took the rest of the day of me fighting off these bad thoughts to get “right†again.

2. I have to “Do It†I spend way too much time trying to become a “master’ of something before I even try to do it which probably stems from the emotions I mentioned above

3. I need Help. I’m not going to be able to do this on my own.

4. I work a shit job for shit money because it is almost 100% stress free, comfortable , and close to home

Recently I have started discussing a lot of the RDPD with a close friend of mine (I find it almost necessary to have someone I can teach and bounce ideas off of) we’ll see where this step leads

Coming up ahead I have an internship to complete for school and will be finishing my first degree by the spring or summer semester 2008

czach41

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Oct 11, 2007
Denver
For me. my LAC so far has been the complete 180 change in the way I think and view things. I used to have so many limiting beliefs running around in my head it cracks me up to think back on them. This is as recently as three years ago, my freshman year in college. College has expanded my horizons so far I am a different new person. I have committed to real estate and business as my vehicle for success. Instead of thinking how I don't have the skills (never been the best math person), I can't make my mind STOP thinking about what I need to do to reach those goals. I can't make my mind STOP thinking about the countless opportunities out there. I can't make my mind STOP thinking about my next move. I instinctively shut out negativity, whether in the media or from people around me. It has become habit to block out negativity and replace it with positive thoughts. Positive reaffirmations have done wonders for me!

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
I'm getting ready to make my life altering choice: moving to Oklahoma from Georgia to live with my girlfriend. She's the one: my future wife. She has two children (5 yr old boy and 10 yr old girl)--daughter does not live with her, but son does. I'm not yet financially free and will need to relinquish the few SFH's I have here not just for the financial cushion, but because I'm not in a position to manage out-of-town properties yet. I'm planning on this move at the end of December to kick of the new year and this next defining chapter of my life freshly. I'm living with my mother currently (hold the applause, please) and have suffered from a cycle of complacency with a life that won't allow me to grow. Based on my personal and especially financial goals, I need to be able to do A LOT of growing.

It amazes me how I can be so ready and willing to take big risks in some areas...namely, financially...but cower from others. I've been teased and taunted and even, surprisingly, constructively criticized about the position I've been leaving myself in. My Queen (one of many nicknames I have for my girl) has even challenged me on it in the warm and loving way that only she can. My ego is such that I don't like to show my greatest weaknesses. A weakness in auto repair, or journalism, or kayaking or any thing else, I'll freely admit to. It's areas like these that humble me most. Risks that involve putting my wallet on the line are one thing, those that call for putting my deepest emotions and even my psyche on the line have been a tough arena for me. But it's all good. When I'm finished, my girlfriend will finally get to LIVE like a queen, her son like a prince, and her daughter like a princess. It's nice to be able to clearly see the land on the other side of a scary bridge.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
My LAC was to keep my daughter. I was 22 pg, not married, just moved back home after being out of the house since I was 18, just got out of a really bad reltionship and was only dating the guy who got me pg for a short time.(less then 1 month.

he asked me to marry him and against all advice not to I did. 8 yrs later still going! hes the only person in the world who truly believes in me. and without his support I have no idea where I would be right now.

when I was pg I got sick right away. and ultimatley disabled after giving birth to her.

It was a horrible time in my life... I got very depressed after I learned I would never hold a job again. I felt useless. which being the person I am useless led me to thinking. I decided I needed to find a way to make money without working.

so I first started out with work from home stuff. didnt take me long to figure out that wasnt going to work lol. then I started reading every financial book I could get my hands on. about a yr or so into it I found rdpd. read that and everything started to make sense. took me quite some time to find my path. now that Ive chosen one Im working towards my goals. goals that would have been unimagineable had I not had my daughter.

Now I know life isnt hopeless just becasue I cant work. I have a plan and goals and am slowly but surely doing it my way!

You never know where life may lead you when you make decisions. Who would have thought at 22 that theyd become disabled and never able to work again? It ended up being the best thing that ever happened to me. In many ways I believe my daughter and my husband saved my life... had I not gotten pg I surely would have ended up back with my abusive psycotic ex...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump for the newbies ... life ain't going anywhere? Make a Life Altering Choice!

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Several people that posted here are AWOL. I wonder where they are now?

EasyMoney_in_NC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 9, 2007
Wilmington NC
Present :D and still chuggin' along. Just finished a good size addition to my house (1300+ sqft), businesses are holding up so far..........just waiting for the world to have an economic implosion :thumbsup:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Several people that posted here are AWOL. I wonder where they are now?

Perhaps a new thread "Where are they now?" -- I can think of several regulars who disappeared.

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Well lets see, I'm a lot younger than a lot of you guys so I'll probably be able to answer this better in a decade.

Anyway my LAC happend to me when I was very young, I was probably 11 or 12. I was from a very young age into fishing and boating, thanks to my dad. Anyway I remember seeing all those big 60ft+ sportfish and thinking wouldn't it be nice to own one of those. After finding out that taking care of one of those boats costs more than the average Americans salery, on top o the several million dollar purchase price. I figured their had to be another way. My mom gave me the RDPD book, and I took it from their. I figured out pretty young that I was never going to get rich working for someone else.

Recently after not really liking selling RE I figured I had to start moving so I got control of a couple of building lots without a cent of my money. I love RE, and can't wait for the day when I finish school and can quite my BS job and just invest full time.

StreetsofSilver

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 4, 2008
PA
1. The decision to leave my fiance (who I knew since I was a kid) due to his drug addiction. (Yes, I tried to help him first. It wasn't like I just up and left). This was the hardest LAC that I have made. We shared a house together, a business, and a dream of financial freedom. He was the one that got me to read RDPD, which changed my mentality. I still do not understand the purpose of this, but I realize that it is my destiny and that I am where I am for a reason.

2. The choice to not re-enter the workforce as an employee after I got laid off at my JOB over 2 years ago.

Dhappy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 24, 2008
Nothing will change your life like being told you have a disease that can kill you. When you wake in the hospital and look around it sure changes your views on things. Health is everything. Money means nothing if you don't have your health.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
Perhaps a new thread "Where are they now?" -- I can think of several regulars who disappeared.

Yup... I was thinking that just the other day too.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I would say, my decision not to accept the norm and recondition my mind to be congruent with what I always knew I was capable of in my gut.

There are subsequent decisions that fall thereafter (like moving, quitting the job, disciplined activities now for extended freedom later) but I don't think those would have been possible had I not made a choice to change my mind.

When upbringing, social imposition, and daily surroundings are conditioning you to go with the norm, changing your mind can be quite challenging.

However, willingness and perseverance to do so, opens the floodgates once you begin.

Absolutely epic IMO.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Lots & Lots I can think of....

• My decision to talk to the quiet kid in class that nobody had any interest in, back in 7th grade. 20 years later -- We're still best friends!
  • Moving from California to Colorado Springs, after running into a friend at a party and getting a big tech job offer. It was supposed to be temporary, but here I am 10 years later!
  • The decision I made to put all of my life savings into the dot com stock bubble, and lose it all + about $30k of loans I took out for investment purposes.... Definitely set me back a couple years!
  • The decision to have kids changed my life for sure... I didn't think for the better, at the time -- but it sure turned out that way!
  • The decision I made to buy my 1st property, even though everybody in my family was telling me to be soooo careful, and do things differently.
  • The decision I made to start accumulating Real Estate at a young age, even though the same people kept telling me that I was crazy to want to be a landlord...
  • The decision I made to get myself out of debt
  • The decision I made to hire the book keeper I have now.... She has saved me 6 figures over the past 10 yrs at least....
  • The decision I made to propose to my GF of 2 yrs a couple weeks ago
- Hakrjak

CamInBoise

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Apr 27, 2009
Boise, ID
Probably the biggest few are

• Leaving baseball to pursue other things
  • Meeting, proposing, and marrying my amazing wife
  • Reading Total Money Makeover, and realizing that there was more financially than what I had been achieving
  • Coming across TFLTMs and realizing again that there was more financially than what I was achieving :)

sulli

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jul 26, 2007
I'm about to make a couple of big LACs!

In the coming months I'll be leaving my job to work on my business full-time. I'm to the point where it doesn't make financial sense to still be working the job. It is limiting my business growth majorly.

Also, as soon as I can sell my house in Michigan, I'm moving to Oregon.

I want to get away from the worker mentality that plagues most in Michigan. I feel that most here try to pull you down to their level - also everyone seems angry all the time. My brother is working on a start-up on the West Coast and he tells me that the mind set there is completely different. While folks in the Mid-West try to keep you at their level, the folks on the West-Coast tell you to go faster and faster! That's where I need to be.

BTW, I read MJ's story on the RD Forums back in 2003-2004 and I've been inspired ever since. So thanks for the years of motivation!

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
As far as small choices that turned out to be life altering:

- Following the link in someone's sig line to this forum
- Eviciting some old roommates, and meeting my best friend thru a room for rent ads
- Buying some vacation rentals
- Meeting Kerry (Wildambitions)

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Wow! So many LACs along the way. But the ones that were major "Sea Changes" for me were:

• While pursuing a career in financial investments, I joined an unrelated MLM shortly after college. Gave me 7+ years of a 6-figure slacker's lifestyle - enough to make me want it back!
  • At 33, on a bet that I could'nt get - much less, keep - a real job, I took a temp job for 2 weeks for $15/hr. It turned into a very lucrative 2nd (3rd?) career within months.
  • Since I was travelling a LOT on business, I decided to join Matchmaker.com because I saw it as a model of dating efficiency (and source of free meals!) After 4 months (2-300 free lunches, happy hours and dinners) I met my awesome hubby, Bobo.
A little less significant (so far) were:

• Moving to my current neighborhood, and meeting a new group of friends.
  • Stumbling onto Fastlane, and meeting a new group of friends. :hurray:
While these last two haven't produced a major change in my life just yet, I believe they may prove to be among the most significant, in the longrun.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm seeing a lot of "baby" decisions that make huge impacts. Web surfing, deciding to go somewhere ... check out the Chaos Theory thread for a real examination of choices and their trajectory.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Hmm . . .

In no particular order:

1. Read "Stranger in a Strange Land" (Robt Heinlein). Was the tipping point for me and the religion I was raised in (devout, and very conservative Lutheran).

2. Stopped smokin' weed. Totally changed my life.

3. Decided to drop out of med school and follow my dreams instead.

4. Decided that I wanted to be a writer. My friends thought I was full of crap*.

5. Decided to go to a meeting of "custom electronic installers" after a panel discussion at an electronics show. A year later, I was an officer on the board of directors, being interviewed by The Wall St Journal, New York Times, and I was working one on one w/Dolby Labs, Paramount Pictures, and Lucasfilm.

6. Decided to try out online dating. Met better (more suitable) partners there than I ever had "in the real world". Met my wife there. :)

-Russ H

*Which actually makes for being a good writer-- you need something to write about! ;)

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
My life altering choices:

1- My friend bought me a Lamborghini Diablo poster for my birthday, which has sparked a passion for the brand, which led me to the forum Lambo Power whose members' lifestyle simply fascinated me and led to me surfing the site regularly for years especially the Business section, which has led to me reading a thread called "Any good entrepreneur forums" and that's when MJ posted a link saying he just launched an entrepreneur forum and everyone should check it, I did! Can you say LIFE ALTERING CHOICE?!

2- My rebellious personality which always got me into trouble, had me realize early in high school that the pre-planned life society had for me; getting good grades, going to college, marrying your high-school sweetheart and getting a good stable job with good benefits, isn't what I wanna follow, the real LIFE ALTERING CHOICE here was having the guts to actually stick to my dreams while everyone is laughing at me (hence the screename btw), it's tremendously hard, harder than I thought, with my friends and colleagues and sometimes my parents not supporting me it's been an uphill battle, scary and devastating, had I not found a place with like-minded people, I'm certain my dreams would've crashed and I would've given up on them and followed that pre-planned life I mentioned earlier!

3- Buying a ticket to Canada back in 2006 when a major war took place in my country, I consider this a LIFE ALTERING CHOICE for two reasons, First: the fact that many rockets fell very close to my home which could've had fatal consequences had we not left.
And the second reason is meeting a family member who turned out to be a very successful entrepreneur at a very young age, boy was that a surprise!
When he found out about my mindset and goals, he introduced me to many successful entrepreneurs and during that month I was hanging out with multi-millionaires and people who have achieved what I dream of everyday, that was an amazing experience, being able to meet people who achieved tremendous success very early in life made it seem more realistic and possible for me, the inspiration boost that experience gave me is simply hard to describe, no book, article or website impacted me like that.

3. Decided to drop out of med school and follow my dreams instead.

Just out of curiosity sir, did you ever go back to school and get a degree?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
LaughedAt-

I was accepted into med school out of high school (a special program, they chose 50 people worldwide each year). The idea was you'd go to college/med school (intensive curriculum) for 6 years (not 8+), and get your MD/BS at the same time.

VERY intense.

When I was a kid, I had *really* wanted to be a doctor. But that changed as I "grew up" and started to develop other interests.

Was half way through the program, so I needed just a few credits to get a BS degree (how appropriate ;) ). That's what I did. :)

I used to say "No Doogie Howser jokes, please", but most folks these days wouldn't even know what that was . . .

-Russ H.

gofalls

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 7, 2007
Phx, AZ
One day I made a last minute decision to go snowboarding in Utah for the weekend with a cousin. I almost didn’t go because of work. I walked into a store in Salt Lake and said I have to have one of these franchises.

3 months later I quit my job, started the franchise.
3 months later, leveraged the franchise to buy investments.
3 months later, leveraged the investments to buy SHF's.
3 months later, leveraged the SHF's to grow the franchise.
4 years later. This is the time I would have been on a much needed 3 month sabbatical from my former employer. I was for the most part retired.
I rarely miss a snowboarding trip now.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
I've had quite a few (true) LAC. One the effects of it (whether good or bad!) won't hit me for a few years down the road, and another will be executed at the end of summer!

1. Finally letting into my friends constantly telling me to play soccer in high school. Turns out to be my most favorite thing to do in life so far! I'm constantly playing\watching it.

2. Dropping out of college to pursue a business and to experience life in another country (England)

3. Making the decision to move to England at the end of this summer. We'll see where life takes me on this one, but no matter what I'll sure enjoy the ride!

There are a few other big LAC but these are the most important ones right now.

gofalls

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 7, 2007
Phx, AZ
I was out with clients today and they told me one of their life altering choice.

To summarize
Husband was 42 and just retired from military. Before going back to a civilian job in the States the couple decided to buy a boat and sail for a year. They were going to FORCE a year out of it even if they hated it after 2 months. In order for them to survive comfortable with this 1 year plan on a military retirement they knew they had to live light so they moved to Turkey and rented a million dollar ocean view condo for about $200 a month. Soon after they purchased a Canadian made 32’ sail boat from an American expat.

The couple did not speak a lick of Turkish.
The only boat experience they had was limited to fresh water lakes in Texas.

12 YEARS later they sold the boat and moved from Turkey to France, then after 6 years in France they moved to Mexico and after several years in Mexico they decided to check out Phoenix for an investment property. Their 1 year adventure turned into 22 years. They said they were culture shocked after being in the USA for the first time in 22 years. I think it may have been just from being around me.

Did I mention the wife was wheelchair bound as a result from surviving an airplane crash in mountains of Thailand when she was younger? She moved about the boat by “scooting around on my buttâ€.

What if they didn’t go sailing? He would be your grumpy neighbor complaining every week about how your Oleander droppings keep clogging his pool drain.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great stuff keep em coming!

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
I was out with clients today and they told me one of their life altering choice.

To summarize
Husband was 42 and just retired from military. Before going back to a civilian job in the States the couple decided to buy a boat and sail for a year. They were going to FORCE a year out of it even if they hated it after 2 months. In order for them to survive comfortable with this 1 year plan on a military retirement they knew they had to live light so they moved to Turkey and rented a million dollar ocean view condo for about $200 a month. Soon after they purchased a Canadian made 32’ sail boat from an American expat.

The couple did not speak a lick of Turkish.
The only boat experience they had was limited to fresh water lakes in Texas.

12 YEARS later they sold the boat and moved from Turkey to France, then after 6 years in France they moved to Mexico and after several years in Mexico they decided to check out Phoenix for an investment property. Their 1 year adventure turned into 22 years. They said they were culture shocked after being in the USA for the first time in 22 years. I think it may have been just from being around me.

Did I mention the wife was wheelchair bound as a result from surviving an airplane crash in mountains of Thailand when she was younger? She moved about the boat by “scooting around on my buttâ€.

What if they didn’t go sailing? He would be your grumpy neighbor complaining every week about how your Oleander droppings keep clogging his pool drain.

Classic! I love meeting people like that.:cool:

Scooting around a boat on your butt is quite a feat.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.