The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: 15 Days to Freedom - Make Money Copywriting in 15 Days or Less

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
For that job I sent an application of 500+ words in the form of an article that was required in the job.

Seems like you just now started to listen to the advice given in this thread:)

it baffles me how some say: providing value is easy.

No. It's not. Providing value may be simple, but it's not easy. It takes dedication and willpower. 99% of all people lack that.

Haven't had any jobs yet? Here is a quick how-to (notice that this is not recommended once you get started): Start working right away.

If the application says: "I need 5 articles that sell my product"

Then get to work. All other applicants will be busy writing their application.

Write one out-of-this-world-great article, send it over, write some great way how you will take the client from point A to point B.

Then at the end you say: I wrote an article for you that will provide great value for your customers. Consider it a bonus:)

Giving away is pure gold. Also try to find interesting synonyms. Interesting, not strange.

Perhaps someone have different experience with this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Brandon Parker

All or nothing
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 16, 2015
Anchorage, AK
Hey guys! I have been following this thread for about a week now.. haven't been as disciplined as I want so I'm a bit behind.
I've decided to kick myself into gear and catch up.

Anyways I just wanted to post a page of copy I wrote for the day 5 challenge.

The product is the fitbit charge.
The audience is busy middle aged men/women who want to walk/jog a bit more
The intended outcome is for people to purchase the fitbit looking to set goals and use the product for tracking and motivation.

This is my first copy, so I'm sure there's quite a bit wrong with it. I'll probably just update it as I learn more and improve it.
Here it is(formatting was weird on here) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EftvCn7c9BbyjXVfVgnKByH6rIzRzeKNGIE8HRVDV5Y/edit?usp=sharing

Any critique is welcome, I am only looking to improve.
If anybody who's also new wants to send me theirs, I'll be happy to give the advice I can offer.

Congrats on everybody taking action and getting results. I will catch up and share my journey once I start applying.

Good luck!

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
Got another contract, the previous one was fixed-pay, but this one is my first hourly.

For now I decided to do the niche and topic research part for free (not logging it in the app) and only start the timer once I'm actually writing. (It's mostly content writing, but with a sales angle to it).

Anyone knows what is considered ethical? Like should I normally start the timer once I sit down on my a$$ and research the topic I'm given?
Bonus: my PC started barking like a rabid dog this morning so I'm forced to work on my shitty notebook where even this text is lagging as I type.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Anyone knows what is considered ethical? Like should I normally start the timer once I sit down on my a$$ and research the topic I'm given?

This is a personal call, and depends on the kind of value you want to add for your clients, and the kind of project you're working on.

For instance if I was hired to write a blog post and I had to research the subject, then I would definitely bill for that.

On the other hand if I'm hired for a copywriting gig and the client already knows their market somewhat, then that cuts out a lot of stuff I have to do, and I may or may not charge for research depending on how much is needed.

Starting out I didn't charge anyone for research because it was one more thing that put me ahead of other freelancers.

Professional copywriters tend to bill more for research than actual copy because it's the part that takes the longest.

Clients worry about this because they don't know how much research is actually needed, and they don't understand how vital it is to achieving their own goals.

This is especially true for low-budget clients & startups. They focus more on their current budget instead of how much their revenue will increase with properly researched copy.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Day 11 - Technique Lesson 4
Storytelling

Once upon a time...

Recall the last time you read something really amazing. Something that grabbed your attention, drew you in, and was so awesome you couldn't put it down.

What was that like for you?

My last great fiction read was Harry Potter, and though I read it like 15 years ago, I still remember the experience like it was yesterday.

Not only that, but it took such strong hold of my attention that I could barely put it down from start to finish, and that goes for all 7 books.

That's what needs to happen with your copy.

But, copy has less room. We're not writing novels, so is it still possible to create such clear images in our readers minds?

We may have less room, but there's a secret weapon that gives us just as much power when properly employed.

So, How Does it Work?

It's Friday night, your home relaxing and your partner says, "Let's see a movie."

You're not really in the mood, but you've got nothing else to do, so you sigh, agree, and check Google for local listings. Together you find one that looks good and you set out for the theater. Your partner is super excited, but you're still humdrum.

When you get there, you buy tickets, and grab the entryway door handle. As soon as it cracks you're slammed with the wonderful smell of extra buttery popcorn, and you follow the peppy popping sounds to a nearby snackbar with vibrant blue and red neon lights.

A small line begins to form, and your partner yelps, "Quick, let's get snacks!" before making a beeline for the bar.

Colossal drink in one arm and a bucket of popcorn big enough to fill a bathtub in the other, you make your way past the ticket checker and through the double doors leading into the low-lit, theater 4.

When your eyes adjust you climb your way to an empty row in the very middle and get the best seat in the house, where you make yourself comfy, and wait for the show while stuffing your face with corny puffballs of grease.

After ten minutes of waiting, and two minutes past showtime, your frustration's at an all time high. "Why the F*ck hasn't this show started yet!? It's 8:02!!!" Luckily the lights dim just as you finish your thought, and you relax back into your seat and prepare for your movie.

Now several trailers play. You remind yourself you hate trailers, but then one catches your eye. It shows a movie that you read online might be coming soon, and you hoped and prayed it was true. With a huge smile on your face you lean forward, and your pupils grow three sizes. You're glued to the screen...

Then another trailer plays, and low and behold, it's another movie that you really want to see! What are the odds of getting two great previews in a row? Must be your lucky day...

What's more strange is that this trend continues all the way until the show starts, and when you finally get to the movie, you have no idea you just endured half an hour to forty five minutes of commercial advertisements.

Still leaning forward, still with big pupils, still glued to the screen, the movie finally starts with some kind of opener that reels your attention ever deeper, and instantly draws you in. Then it gives you exactly the story you hoped for and for the next 2 hours you sit in silence, gaining weight, and forcing back your bladder while desperately hoping to make it through one more scene.

Eventually the end comes and the credits roll, and you grab your trash, head to the exit, and leave through the double doors in a herd of smiling faces. Then you cock your head toward your partner and say, "So... wha'dya think?"

For the next twenty minutes you carry on the exact same conversation as every other patron, all the way home, until you're back on your rear, crying about your terrible stomach ache and praying you live through the night...

Sound Familiar?

That's because millions of people have the same experience every day. Millions of people hand over their hard-earned cash to sit in a tight space full of stinky strangers, while getting fat, watching commercials, and holding their pee for hours...

But How does Knowing this Help My Copy?

It doesn't.

The theater has nothing to do with your copy.

But... the short story about the theater has everything to do with it!

Creative copywriting is all about selling to people, without it feeling like they're being sold to. When we go to a car dealership we may actively avoid sales-people because we don't like to be sold to. We have a stigma against it.

But, if someone simply tells us a story, then we open our minds to the experience. Storytelling isn't like sales. Instead it's fun and engaging. It connects with a different part of our brain and doesn't trigger our fight or flight response.

In this way it subtly bypasses our unconscious alert monitor and allows us to speak directly (read indirectly) to our prospects to move them from line to line until they finally buy.

How Do I Write A Good Short Story?

Well, this a whole course topic by itself, but I'll try to sum it up in the next few lines...

1. Start fast & start in action.

If at all possible, don't start at the beginning of a story (I did in the example above). Start somewhere in the middle if you can, and draw the reader in fast. Add any background details as you go.

For instance I could have started the story with my characters already at the theater... "We entered the theater to the smell of popcorn after Jane finally persuaded me off the couch."

Remember to keep your sentences & paragraphs short so they move quickly. Only use long sentences for things you want your reader to take more time and focus on.

2. Use the Right Perspective

In copywriting we use 2nd perspective a lot because it's easy to keep the focus on your prospect, but sometimes using 1st person can be just as effective.

Sometimes we need to tell an actual story, and we need to use the word "I". For instance, "I discovered the secret formula for this amazing food bar while trekking the mountains in Nepal..."

3. Engage the Senses

Yes, I've said it before, but seriously, if you couldn't smell the buttery popcorn, or hear the peppy pops above, then you're either numb or dead. Use words that speak to the senses. Speak is a sound word. Smell is an olfactory word. See is a sight word. Popping is a sound word. Dim-Lit is a sight word. Cold air is a feeling word. etc.

These words connect with us by drawing us into our own minds for the experience. This is how you create mind-blowing experiences.

4. Use Appropriate Context

If you're advertising the next great bench-press, then it doesn't make sense to set the scene in a massage parlor, right? Instead you write about impressing friends at the gym, or showing off your pecks at the beach. Now that makes sense. Set your story in the proper location.

5. Actually Tell a Story.

It's not enough to engage the senses and use good context. Storytelling has proven to increase sales... by a lot... It doesn't even have to be a long story. Just something to engage your readers and set the mood, tone, and context of your product.

"I wasn't always this ripped. In fact, I used to be a scrawny little wuss just like you. But one day, when our fat-a$$ neighborhood bully was pushing me around at the corner of Owned Avenue & Wimp Street I decided enough was enough. With scraped knees, and dirt on my nose, I picked myself off the ground and started the toughest training regimen of my life. Three weeks later I was a monster, sporting a six pack of solid muscle and more power than God himself. The bully never showed his face again..."

Stories like this tell people who you are, how you came to be, and help build rapport and trust by showing how you're just like them. This is what knowing your market is all about, and it's how you sell without selling.

Okay, so there's a lot more to short story-telling, but this is enough for a start. Definitely consider reading more about short story writing on Google, and search for a book called the cheaters guide to short story writing on Amazon. Then start integrating it into your copy and be amazed at how powerful you become.

That's it for now. Sorry for any poor comma usage. I'm pressed for time today, and don't have time to comb through this one. Just take the lessons, and ignore any errors. Hell, it's free, right?

Day 11 Challenge
1. Write a 2 to 3 paragraph short story about a product that explains how it came into existence. How was it born from a need. How did it manifest from a problem.

2. Write 3 mind blowing headlines that would make someone want to read your story.

3. Help someone and ask nothing in return.

4. Take one action you've been putting off. Seriously, just do that shit now!!!

5. Take a moment to yourself, calm your mind, and review your vision.

6. Remember your life metaphor and integrate it into your vision.

Thanks for sticking with it guys! I know you're gonna
love it when you start making money with this
stuff! It really is that powerful, but you've
gotta read between the lines because
I can't tell it all here. When you're
ready, continue to Day 12,
Influence Lesson

Last edited:

Bosley71

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 29, 2014
Hi to all of you..

My life claim me to reality.. I'm stopped at day two challenger.. I have no time..
So I decide to restart again:

Day 1 Challenge
Really
Help Someone

This morning a men come in my office.. He's an electrical engineer.. He worked by a local telecommunication company.
He was the technical manager of the company. So, the company hire a new person because a political party support him.
The company put our man in a corner, take away from him, his tasks. Finally they fired him.
So this man, whit a wife and two kids, lost his job because someone, for political reason, decide that.
This is what happens in my country and this is the reason because we are a nation of hopeless.
So this man was in my office because he want take a taxi license.
I talk him about o'desk possibility and he said to me " It's exactly what a searching for..."...

Do you think the Day 1 Challenge is done for me ??

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hi to all of you..

My life claim me to reality.. I'm stopped at day two challenger.. I have no time..
So I decide to restart again:

Day 1 Challenge
Really
Help Someone

This morning a men come in my office.. He's an electrical engineer.. He worked by a local telecommunication company.
He was the technical manager of the company. So, the company hire a new person because a political party support him.
The company put our man in a corner, take away from him, his tasks. Finally they fired him.
So this man, whit a wife and two kids, lost his job because someone, for political reason, decide that.
This is what happens in my country and this is the reason because we are a nation of hopeless.
So this man was in my office because he want take a taxi license.
I talk him about o'desk possibility and he said to me " It's exactly what a searching for..."...

Do you think the Day 1 Challenge is done for me ??

Yes, you've offered him a doorway to possibility.

Might I suggest directing him to the Millionaire Fastlane book, or even to this forum?

It may change his entire life, and costs you nothing.

Perhaps you could also share a computer, and help him set up an Odesk profile to get him going.

A lot of possibilities. :)

Kreedos Phoenix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Nov 30, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
I've been sleeping on getting started with this thread since you posted it but finally got the chance to dive in with the first few post. I'm all over Day 1. Helping others is a recurring theme I've been exposed to lately and I wont ignore the signs given here.

Cheers OP, I've bookmarked the thread and look forward to exploring the techniques involved here.

Brandon Parker

All or nothing
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 16, 2015
Anchorage, AK
Completed Day 7

1. Close your eyes and imagine the life you want to have. See the cars, houses, food, and whatever else you want to have when you've finally made it. Now blow that picture up, and put yourself in it as if it were already your reality, and just allow yourself to experience it. Experience the sights, sounds smells. Take it all in. This is your vision.

2. Take one action that moves you toward that vision

3. Do all the other steps from yesterday's challenge, only this time do it from a position of power, as you now understand your vision. Don't just go through the motions. Do it with the knowledge of what your future holds if you take this serious RIGHT NOW.

1. Close your eyes and imagine the life you want to have.
I've always been a fan of freedom. I basically imaged a life where I make steady passive income and have enough to pursue all of the crazy shit I want to do.

I imagined living in a nice house, having a nice car(not sure what kind yet) and pictured as vividly as possible doing things like shooting guns, doing donuts in cars, skydiving, just chilling and playing video games.

To me, these things represent freedom. What's the point of making money tons of money if you don't have time to enjoy the things you can buy? That's what the fastlane is all about, time and freedom.

I loved this exercise, I think I'll start doing it every morning.

2. Take one action that moves you toward that vision
chart.jpg
I know this chart is hard to see. It has 25 ticks marked 'days' at the bottom. On the left there are increments of $100.
At the bottom, it says 'make $1000'. That's my goal.
Every day I mark how much progress I made.

If I take action, the bars get higher. If I don't, they don't move an inch. The chart doesn't lie.

This is basically a reminder that I should be improving my craft and providing value. It's right in front of my face pretty much the whole day. A constant reminder.

The idea is to make my first $1000 as soon as possible. No excuses. I got this.

3. Do all the other steps from yesterday's challenge

I did a pretty lengthy copy, weaved influence in and prompted action. I don't want to insert it here since it's long so if anyone wants to see it I'll provide a link. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ozq0zqvhxnjk-MCk6Bi75At7pF7a_w2R3G72QzlcDJc/edit?usp=sharing

I love the idea of having a visual representation of progress. I encourage others to do the same, whatever that may be.

EDIT: Formatting

Last edited:

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
I have just got my first offer I didn't even apply for. I only have 1 review so far (it's 5 star tho) so I don't know how this happened.

It's also a serius, longer term client and some complex job regarding landing pages and copy (I dont even know how to code, hope they wont need that.) I'm anxious as F*ck. How did they find me.

Is this magic? Am I really doing this? Working at a hourly rate that's only available for young professionals with fancy degrees and big and shitty corporate jobs if they grind away 5 years of their lifes , well at least in my country. This is really empowering, thank you!

Bosley71

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 29, 2014
Day 2 Challenge

1. Help someone. Do it without asking for anything in return. Just like yesterday.

2. Come up with 5 to 10 products / services / or something else you want to sell. Give serious consideration to the questions above. Figure out the customer's deepest desire. Figure out the emotions they want to experience. Then write 5 to 10 headlines utilizing what you've learned, that MAKE THEM STOP!

1. This morning a taxi driver come in my office.. He take a penalty with is taxi and he must pay about 70,00 €.. I prepared an appeal letter for him. He want give me ten bucks, but I refuse and I said him that I made this gig for free...

2 :
1. Badedas Shower Gel.. Not Only For Bad a$$

2. Tast A Beck's And You'll Never Back

3. Ford Mustang Replace All Your Dream

4. Tucano Urbano Gloves : A Fistfull Of Emotions

5. Whit Timberland Shoes Your Feet Never Play Away

May I consider the step 2/15 achieved ?

Last edited:

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
So I just set my new rate @ 15 $/hour (been doing 5, then 10, interviewers don't really like my accent so it slows me down a bit) and went to sleep.

When I woke up I've seen someone messaged me. They wanted my help for a job, I gladly accepted it. Time for the due diligence before interview, I look at their website, start to think about how to improve it, I start sketching down a strategy they could implement for their online presence.

Then I get there. Google+ reviews, mostly 1 stars with people claiming all kinds of malicious business practices. They're not paying their suppliers, their product is broken, customers getting scammed, etc.

I go back to oDesk to check their reviews there. No reviews, it's a fresh reg.

Long story short I noped the F*ck out of the deal. Lesson for today: always begin your due diligence with your client's reputation. Don't serve crooks.

Bosley71

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 29, 2014
Day 3 | Influence Lesson 1
The Butterfly Effect

We can never truly know the real impact of our words.​

Day 3 Challenge
1. Help someone. Solve a problem for someone. Do it without asking for anything in return just like yesterday, and just like the day before. Remember, it doesn't have to be something epic. Just something that impacts them positively in some way.

2. Write 5 new headlines that MAKE THEM STOP, and tap into your prospects desires & emotions.

3. Using your product or service, or something you make up, write a paragraph or two to your target customer utilizing the influential phrases you learned in this post. Consider using all 3 types of phrases for maximum impact, and remember to write with intent. Find ways to show how your product helps your customer while driving them toward the action you want them to take.

Do this before reading the next lesson, or don't keep going forward.

Now that you know that influence is inevitable you can
start writing copy with intent & purpose so you can
achieve your desired results in the shortest
time possible. Always write for positive
outcomes. That's it for this lesson.
When you're ready, continue
on to Day 4 - Mindset
Lesson

Hi to All.. This is my try for Day 3.

1) No many chance to help someone today... Busy Day, but I offer the breakfast at one man and I give two free hours of job to my boss..

2)
1. Use Oral B Toothbrush Every Day And You Can Smile Like A Movie Star.
2. Whit Bush Shaving Foam Also Chewbacca Can Seem Like Kojak
3. Try Now Acuve Contact Lens.. You Can See A Golf Club Also In The Middle of Desert
4. Wüsthof Knives... You'll Love Them So Much Than You Cut Also Fingerfoods And Soups
5. Gillette Rapido Razor.. Man ... You 've Never Felt So Strong

3)
Make an unforgettable gift to your self ! Come visit Tuscany whit Bosley Travel..
We lead You in a magic and romantic atmosphere.. Visit charming landscape of Chianti with our bike tour.. Tast the most famous Wines and Foods, during our esclusive Wine tour. Admire San Gimignano towers whome had inspirered the architects who designed Manatthan.. Dive your body in a termal reinvigoreting bath in Bagno Vignoni..
Think Abou It !
Escape from the enslaving routine of the modern large city.. Jailbreak your soul and flight to a mystic country.. Listen Medieval echo in Monteriggioni Castle.. Try to draw the sword from the rock like a Templar Knight in San Galgano abbey.. Feel your self inside the Assassin's Creed scenario in a rapid tour in the historical center of Florence.. Don't waste this incredible opportunity.. Only this week you can buy our holiday package with an unbelieveble 50 % off. Do it now !!! You can't loose the moment. Run into the arms of Crete Senesi's rolling hills, enjoy the majestic experience of one day journey in Siena.. Visit the amazing ghotic Cathedral and take more than a glance a Il Campo, where if you come in the first two days of July or in the middle of August, you can feel like James Bond in Quantum of Solace and live the most indescribable, electrifyng, memorable event that an horse race can give you.. Rich your eyes with the kaleidoscopics colours of the Medieval costumes, enchant your ears with the rhythmic sound of the drums, Feel your hearthbeat speed up earing the tumultuous footsteps of Ten overwhelming steeds at full gallop. Fall in love in this amazing, beautyfull city...
Buy Now !!! Don't miss your last chance !!! Offer ends saturday !!! Last five holiday package left!!
Come to try the breath of life whit Bosley Travel..
Give more sense to your life !! Take your best quality time !! Offer to your self an unique memento.
Get it now ! Do it with us.

Suggest and comment are welcome!!
Well.. 3/15 done.. I hope.. It 01:32 AM.. I'm tired but I'm in.. One step each time.. Like an A.A. member..
Good night!!

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
I know I have to complete challenge 9. Gosh I'm slacking with this.

BUT here is an update for Friday: I have been approached by a past client to do their marketing campaign.

I sent a offer back and we have agreed upon a price for a total amount of 22 hours. The rate is good and I will learn a lot from this:)

all thanks to @SinisterLex

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Day 12 | Influence Lesson 4
Finding Balance Between Ouch & Oh Yeah!

What if I told you that you could earn money in 15 days or less by following my system, guaranteed?

As a budding entrepreneur strapped for cash does that interest you? If so, why?

This lesson is simple & straightforward, but it's paramount to understanding what makes people buy.

So, back to the question...

We already know that earning money in 15 days or less interests you. Otherwise you wouldn't be reading this thread. So, the only part left to answer is...why? There could be a lot of reasons, but in copywriting we only care about the core motivations / emotions / desires.

That's great because it turns out, there's only 2 core motivations when it comes to buying stuff.

Imagine for a moment you're a beautiful antelope grazing on the open plains. You're enjoying a nice sunny day and surrounded by complete serenity. Around you is a herd of 100 other antelopes just like you, and they're all doing the same. All of you are focused on eating, drinking, & generally distracting yourselves from the problems of the world.

Then something rustles in the tall grass a few hundred feet away. One of your antelope friends pokes his head up and gets wide-eyed. WTF was that?!

You and 100 others turn to face the tall grass, waiting for any sign of movement. For a moment all is still... Then it happens - a 1,000 pounds of razor sharp teeth and claws sails through the air and charges straight for you.

What do you do?

Unless you're completely brain-dead, you run like hell!

Your friends all do the same - even the fat one that prides himself on gluttony.

Why?

Because being eaten alive is incredibly painful!!!

But what if things were a little different?

Now imagine you're a magnificent antelope-eating machine. A thousand pounds of fang and claw. A true king of the jungle, and you stealthily watch the antelopes grazing a few hundred feet away.

Your stomach rumbles. You haven't eaten in 3 days, and you know if you catch one you'll have a full slab of beef all to yourself, and it'll be the most fulfilling meal you've ever had.

You see them over there, and imagine sinking your teeth into every last morsel of savory hide. You imagine how it will fill your stomach, and a sliver of drool pools at the corners of your mouth.

Suddenly you forget your feelings of weakness. You forget your feelings of fatigue. Instead, you're overcome with so much motivation that you narrow your focus to a single target - one you can easily get. One that offers instant gratification.

Finally it's too much and you leap, charging faster and harder than ever before!

The entire herd of antelope takes off running, but you don't care! You run faster, and faster. They're telling you that you can't have them, but nothing will stop you from satisfying your craving for pleasure & fulfillment!

What's the difference between the antelope and the lion?

It's simple.

The antelope (even the fat one) is motivated to run like hell because suddenly running is less painful than not running.

The lion is motivated to run like hell because of the pleasure & fulfillment eating a delicious antelope will bring.

The Lesson

Some people are motivated away from pain.

Some are motivated toward pleasure.

When you understand this simple concept, then you have great power to influence your audience.

One of the biggest mistakes people make is focusing only on the benefits of their product, or only on the pain it solves. Both of these motivate some people to act, but they completely ignore the rest.

When I wrote: 15 Days to Freedom - Make Money Copywriting in 15 Days or Less - I reached out to both sides of the spectrum.

Some of you were motivated to click because the headline offers a fast route to pleasure. It suggests you can make money fast, gain a quick win, and propel yourself forward, toward success.

Others were motivated by business pains that might be avoided if you had more money to spend. Maybe debt is killing you and you must find a way out. Maybe your app can't be finished because you don't have enough funding. Maybe you were simply afraid that this thread might have answers, and that you'd hate yourself for the rest of your life if you skipped a free chance to find out.

Either way you were motivated toward pleasure, or away from pain.

In copywriting (and sales) this is a key piece of information, and once you acknowledge it, you can start writing copy that reaches out to both types of people.

Whether you're writing your headline, the body copy, or anything else, always keep toward/away motivations in mind. Write to both, and avoid focusing only on one direction. In this way you maximize your outreach, and you empower more people to take the actions you want them to take.

This is how you win big.

This is how you help your clients win big too.

Day 12 Challenge
1. Write 5 headlines that target both pain & pleasure.

2. Write 2 paragraphs of copy that utilize storytelling & metaphors to speak to both audiences (pain & pleasure).

3. Do something for someone without asking anything in return.

4. Take action toward something that gives you pleasure, or away from something painful. Make sure it moves you toward your goals.

5. Get a clear picture of your vision in your mind and just focus on it for a few minutes at the start of your day. Focus on accomplishing it. See yourself from the present moment as if you've already achieved that vision.

Please note that the only reason I'm able to write this post is because I
was motivated away from the pain of returning to a slowlane business.
This is what it's all about We take action when the pain of doing
becomes less than the pain of not doing. We also take action
when the rewards offered are so great that we'd be
stupid not to try (buy). Accept this as fact and
use it, and you can sell to anyone.
That's it for this lesson. When
you're ready, continue to
Day 13 | Mindset
Lesson

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
It's starting to get to a point where I'm not comfortable with setting my rates higher. Now I'm not talking about high rates, for your standards doing 20-25$/hour is shit money, but I'm much more comfortable at the 15$/hour range.

It's because most of my clients are the type of guys who read the 4 hour work week and want to start some e-biz with a blog. I gladly serve them the best I can, but they won't get much traffic, so I don't know if my content actually works or not. All I know is people much smarter than me wrote about things that worked ages ago and some other smart people like SinisterLex learned their way and can make it work. I don't know if I can. I try my best to follow their teachings. I'm a F*cking direct marketing acolyte praying no one finds out about my dirty doings.

I usually work some hours without logging the hours to make sure my copy is the best I can produce. I also have to use things like grammarly and hell, sometimes even google translate cause I'm not a native english speaker.

Today I got my first real deal, it's a legit business this time, a start-up with potential. With the ability to track my effectiveness. If I produce shit copy their whole project might fail. But hell, their business seems so good they might make it despite my copy. Or. Maybe...just maybe, my copy will actually work. Seeing them succeed would be much more of a relief for me now than seeing a fat income on my profile. Of course this is because I'm hungry for future success, but still.

I might keep you guys updated if anyone is interested. I have been faking it successfully, now it's time to make it. If I can't I'm F*cked in the a$$ with all my fragile reputation's fragments scratching my rectum and it's off to the Bahamas with me living on coconuts, without the Internet.

But I also start to see hope it might actually work. This keeps me going. Sorry for the mental diarrhea, but it has to get out when it wants to get out, hence its name.

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
Also my mom only believes me when I say I don't deal drugs or prostitute myself on the Internet because my girlfriend attests to it, so there's also that. "Why would anyone pay for annoying sales letters? I get them all the time and always delete them"

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Challenge day 9

1. Close your eyes and imagine selling your first product or service.
That wonderful, honey sweet taste of accomplishment.​

It delivers, it feels, it bursts into my
otherwise-so-overloaded head and
cracks my skull open like a
crisp wheat cracker, leaving nothing but
rainbow-colored stains on my worn walls.​

Help someone without asking anything in return
After doing this for a while now (2-3 weeks or so) I feel like it is becoming second nature to always try to do a better job than the last. Plus I always try to add some sort of extra value into each job, be it a comment or an extra article. Anything of value.

I have a clear mind of what I want the world to look like, and in order to get there I have to do my part of delivering value to that idea. The best way right now is by spending my energy to produce value for others.

Take some action you've been avoiding
Can't really say that I am avoiding anything right now, there is so much work I have enough to keep up. But I try to always remember that in order to improve. I have to be at least 1 % better today, than yesterday.

Write 5 creative headlines that MAKE THEM STOP
  1. Happy China – The Asian Lifestyle to Love, Wealth and Power
  2. The Power of Love – How China Boosted My Lifestyle with Asian Happiness
  3. China's Answers To Life's Biggest Problem – Inject Love into Your Lifestyle and Become Happy
  4. The Powerful Tricks to Become Happy – Lifestyle Success Stories from a Glamorous China
  5. How to Empower Yourself Into Happiness Using China’s 21 Lifestyle Success Stories

Write 3 paragraphs of copy utilizing some of the tools from today's lesson

Would you want to turn your modest portfolio into a 24/7 cash machine?

Then discover how to do exactly that, all for FREE.

This is the same method as Warren Buffett and T. Rowe Price has used to create over
20 % i annual return over 30 years!
If you apply this method, regardless of your portfolio structure today, you
will see consistent returns for as long as you utilize its power. There are
many other who have used this simple, yet effective method to
gain recurring income from their portfolios.

Well can't you just search for the big names and read about them on Investopedia?

Sure you can, but you wont find anywhere near the secret hacks of the masters unless
you tap into the source of their strategies' true potential. Potential enough to
totally change your life's situation. Imagine to
have your very own cash flow with REAL money just
streaming into your bank account.​

The secret sauce of the legends is only
available until Friday, so unless you've grabbed your very own guide by
then, you're left in the dirt. Sorry. This is for you who are ready to follow a simple method and
then kick back to enjoy the power of money working for you.
So, stop working for money and let money start working for you.
Get money-wise today!

Grab Your Money Machine Now!

9/15 Completed

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Hey guys,

A quick update...

I may not finish writing the next lesson until Thursday, because I'm in Vegas making shit happen. :) So, I'll leave you with something that can boost you far beyond your current skill level in lightspeed time if you take action.

This may seem strange, but you can take leaps and bounds toward understanding the human mind if you start applying your copywriting skills in the real world. And, by that I don't mean copywriting for people on Odesk. I mean the real world.

The fastest way to learn to influence others is through direct contact.

By direct contact I mean live, in-person, 1 on 1 contact.

It starts by setting a goal - I want to influence someone I've never met before by making them smile.

Then just pick a place in town, find a person and start talking to them immediately with the intent of achieving that goal.

Your goal doesn't have to be to make them smile, but you do have to have a goal, or else your copywriting skills will be useless toward achieving it.

This is the fastest way to gain direct feedback, and as you start to grow in skill, then you'll understand how to apply those same skills to your copywriting to make money.

Once you understand what that rush and that energy feels like just before you engage someone in conversation, and once you learn the enthusiasm and charisma, then its pretty easy to transfer to your writing.

Copywriting is nothing more than written influence & persuasion, so it makes sense that you can empower your writing if you get rapid real-world feedback and experience through direct contact with others right now.

Anyway, hope you're all having a great week!

I am!

:D

Bosley71

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Dec 29, 2014
Hey guys,

A quick update...

I may not finish writing the next lesson until Thursday, because I'm in Vegas making shit happen. :) So, I'll leave you with something that can boost you far beyond your current skill level in lightspeed time if you take action.

This may seem strange, but you can take leaps and bounds toward understanding the human mind if you start applying your copywriting skills in the real world. And, by that I don't mean copywriting for people on Odesk. I mean the real world.

The fastest way to learn to influence others is through direct contact.

By direct contact I mean live, in-person, 1 on 1 contact.

It starts by setting a goal - I want to influence someone I've never met before by making them smile.

Then just pick a place in town, find a person and start talking to them immediately with the intent of achieving that goal.

Your goal doesn't have to be to make them smile, but you do have to have a goal, or else your copywriting skills will be useless toward achieving it.

This is the fastest way to gain direct feedback, and as you start to grow in skill, then you'll understand how to apply those same skills to your copywriting to make money.

Once you understand what that rush and that energy feels like just before you engage someone in conversation, and once you learn the enthusiasm and charisma, then its pretty easy to transfer to your writing.

Copywriting is nothing more than written influence & persuasion, so it makes sense that you can empower your writing if you get rapid real-world feedback and experience through direct contact with others right now.

Anyway, hope you're all having a great week!

I am!

:D
@SinisterLex
When the disciple is ready the master coming... So I met you only at 43 years, with a wife and a little girl 7 years old in my shoulders.. (maybe my wife would say that it's me in her shoulder too :) ).. If ther' is a thing when I totally suck is "Take action".. My dimension is bed, couch, refrigerator and tv.
Ultimately, a leopard cannot change it's spot or as we say in Italy those born round do not die square.. But I try.. every day.. It's becoming my obsession.. Thank you...

Last edited:

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Day 13 | Mindset Lesson 5
The Art of Outcomes & Assumption

Only Assume That Which Gets You to Your Goals

Hey guys,

Been a few days since I wrote. I spent the last week in Vegas expanding my network and creating new opportunities (Also partied with rich people in a multi-million dollar underground bunker just off the strip.) Shit's been crazy to say the least!

rsz_20150426_153102.jpg

At this point I'd say Odesk is about 25% of my total clientele, and now I'm working on ways to expand.

I've thought a lot about how I got to this point and how I keep moving forward. Why do people keep coming to me, and how have I not failed yet? Coming up on four months copywriting, and instead of being snuffed out like a cockroach under a shoe, I'm getting referrals to write personal persuasive messages for CEOs of Fortune 500 companies.

At first I wasn't sure what made it possible, but now I'm confident that it all comes down to 2 core ideologies, and I'm not talking about helping people...

1. Setting Well Defined Outcomes
2. Assuming You'll Achieve Those Outcomes

Don't get me wrong. Helping people is definitely important, but it's not enough to tell someone you can help them, or even to offer a few sprinkles of proof.

Instead, you have to know that's what you want to do, and then you have to believe you can do it.

But, how can you believe it when you're not even sure it's true?

For me it starts with the outcome. The times I've failed, I didn't have clear outcomes, and every time I succeeded I did. We've already talked about outcomes, so I won't spend much time on that.

Well Defined Outcomes

We've all heard of S.M.A.R.T. goal setting and all that jazz, but I'm not convinced most goals need to be so complex. For me setting goals or well defined outcomes is as simple as asking, what's the one thing I need to accomplish with this meeting, letter, introduction, etc.?

Do I need to make a brilliant first impression? Do I need them to think I'm an authority? Do I need to get their attention? What specifically is the one thing that's most important for this encounter?

When I know what the outcome is, then it's easy to figure out the steps that either lead to that outcome or don't. Then I either choose to act on those steps, or not, and depending on my choice I succeed or fail.

The S.M.A.R.T. goal setting process, which you can Google if you need to, is great for detail oriented people, and really big goals that take a lot of time and thought, but in the short term it's less useful (in my opinion).

Instead I just figure out what I need to achieve, and then figure out the steps to get there. When you know the outcome, you know the steps, and you know it's all on you to take them, then it's a lot easier to believe you'll make things happen because the logic path is already laid out.

But that's only half the battle, and we all know logic doesn't win the war.

Assuming the Outcome You Want

In any encounter there's a balance of power, this is especially true for working with clients as a freelancer. That balance is usually heavily weighted in the prospect's favor, but it can be shifted. The trick is not viewing yourself the way you currently do.

When I first started on Odesk I operated from the assumption that I could help people get what they want. I also assumed that I would get the gigs I applied to. By assuming these things I changed my state of my mind, and now both have become my reality.

If you assume you are weak, depressed, bad at writing, unable to learn, incompetent etc., then your mind agrees with you and you will think, act, & write in ways that reflect your state of mind.

When you assume you're awesome at writing, highly influential, a person of power, and a force to be reckoned with, then your mind shifts and you operate from a new state. Then everything you think, do, or write flows from a new perspective, and has an opportunity to move people.

Just think about it...

If you were a billionaire, would you act the same way as you do right now? Would you negotiate with pidly little freelancers on their terms? I didn't think so.

Well, that's the kind of shift that happens when you assume you will, or assume you've already achieved your outcomes. If you assume that you're an elite writer, then your actions will align with your assumptions, and you'll do shit that brings it to life.

Then, when you start seeing results, you'll begin to believe that what you assumed to be true, really is true. When you believe it you add more weight to your side of the scale, and the balance of power begins to shift.

At some point you end up with enough clients, or enough customers that the balance of power is equal. Now it's a level playing field. Now you can negotiate terms with the knowledge that even if things don't work out with a given client, you can still move forward.

The more you assume you'll achieve your goals, the more you'll achieve those goals. When you assume it's true, your state of mind shifts. Then instead of operating from a position of fear, you can control your emotions and operate from a position of power.

And that's not the best part...

The best part is that at some point the balance shifts in your favor. If you continue assuming you can accomplish what you want to, or that you're as powerful as you want to be, then at some point it becomes true, and you become more powerful than your prospects & clients.

When enough people say you're the best, and when enough people are willing to hire you at a moments notice, then you have the power of choice. You have the power.

When you have so many job offers that you laugh at low-priced gigs, then you have the power.

When someone tries to low ball you and you tell them to get lost, you have shifted the balance.

When you tell clients to quadruple your pay, or you'll fire them, and they actually do it, then you are virtually unstoppable.

Assume what you want to be true, and it will be.

A Quick Caution

Operating like this is intoxicating. When you have this kind of power, it puts you in positions you never could have imagined. But be careful...

If you let it go to your head, you have the potential to crash and burn harder than ever before.

Never speak down to clients or customers. Always do your best to help them achieve their goals, and get what they want. In the end, if you stop being useful, then they'll stop using you, and if that happens, you'll quickly lose any power you've gained. Maybe the loss of one client isn't the end of the world, but what if that client has the power to influence the world, and can destroy you with a single tweet to 50 million people?

Real power comes when you understand how to use it to help others get what they want while getting what you want at the same time. Never abuse your power, or you'll be sorry!

Now go forth, and make your dreams come true!

Day 13 Challenge
1. Set up a LinkedIn profile if you don't already have one. LinkedIn is a powerful tool, and serious entrepreneurs use it to reach out to other serious businesspeople. It's a great tool for discovering hidden opportunities, and takes very little to get set up. It has the potential to help you break free of the evil clutches of Odesk (if you want more power, then don't put all your eggs in one basket) haha.

2. Write down 5 negative things you frequently say about yourself. Now write down reasons why those things aren't true. For instance if you say something like, I can't get hired, then ask yourself if you've ever been hired before. If so, then write it down. I can get hired, and I know it's true because I've done it before! This exercise helps reveal negative assumptions you currently have, and gives you a way to shift them into positive ones.

3. Help someone without asking anything in return. This can be big or small. It doesn't matter. The idea is that you get in a habit of helping people in genuine ways that impact their life. You need to do this every day to make it habit. When you make a habit of impacting lives, then you can create a network really fast, anytime and anywhere. Help people get what they want without asking for what you want, and it comes back around to you in the end.

4. Watch and analyze 2 or 3 television commercials. This seems like a strange exercise, but it's more applicable than you realize. Copywriting includes televised ads, so you may want to watch some commercials and figure out what worked or didn't work. What did you like? What caught your attention? What sucked balls, that could have been improved? This gets you thinking from new angles about what's possible within the realm of copy.

5. Write a commercial script. Again, something to get you moving in a new direction. Most commercial scripts are 1 minute or less. That's about 100 words. Try coming up with a unique script that utilizes some of the techniques you've learned for copywriting. Once you write the script, then be sure to add it to your portfolio so clients know they can use you for other services than just sales letters. If you want to grow, then you have to offer something your competition doesn't.

That's all for Day 13. I hope you found it helpful in some way.
There's only 2 days left of this sort of copywriting course.
If you haven't taken action yet, then it's time to get
moving! If you're still making excuses, then it's
time to drop them! When you're ready,
continue on to your final lesson on
technique. Day 14, Technique
Lesson
5.​

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
The Secret, Bob Proctor's material, Tony Robbins ( Specifically a video he did with Frank Kern and John Reese ) instantly came to mind reading this post.

" Get results in your head first, and your actions will follow and momentum will build on the results"

What a good post, your writing in and of itself motivates you to improve your writing.

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
This is much more than copywriting.

I'm in this university incubator project where we develop a business plan then pitch our ideas to investors. Our idea has a heavy medical angle to it. So today we set out to have a meeting with one of the doctors researching just what we needed info on.

We got an appointment and I went with our project leader to have a talk with this crazy busy med-research guy. 5 minutes have passed and our project leader is still talking about this glorious uni project and our brilliant idea (he's really enthusiastic about this whole thing). The researcher didn't really like all this business-talk and started to get bored, staring blankly. He's a different kind of geek than we are. So when I noticed we are going to get kicked out soon if I don't interrupt, I did interrupt. This was kind of hard for me as I'm an introvert and generally bad with talking to people.

I said that we're here because we have read about his astonishing research and would love to get some of his insight on our project. And I started asking questions regarding his area of expertise and listened actively. Note that this man wasn't motivated by money or a business opportunity. All he cared about was his research, his knowledge and a little bit of boasting. So I gave him just that. He now had the ability to tell us about something he loves, using his language and he quickly became enthusiastic about our project as well. We talked for about an hour.

Not only did we get the info we needed, but he also gave us his private phone and e-mail and encouraged us to contact him if we need anything. After the meeting I've had a talk with our project leader (now in his terms) about how great this will be for our project and the university as a whole. At the end of our convo he offered me a paid position in the project (which is ran twice every year) for the next term that I can attend to while studying. Note that I'm only a first year student so this is great for me at the moment.

tl;dr: People don't give a flying F*ck about you, unless you provide value. Since people don't give a flying F*ck about each other either, this value can sometimes mean just being geniuly interested in their passion. Talk with people like you would write for them.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Day 14 | Technique Lesson 5
What if I Told You Technique Doesn't Matter?

If Length = Strength then How Are Seth Godin's 1
Sentence Emails so Powerful?
Do you really think technique matters? Do you really think it's important?

What if nobody cares about your technique? What if the world wants something different tomorrow?

What if the only things that matter are the words you choose, and the thoughts they inspire?

If things change and everything you think you know about writing copy is suddenly wrong, then how will you move forward? How will you earn? How will you continue to influence, when you discover that centering text on a page, and bolding some things and adding color to others isn't what the people want?

There's only one technique in the world that matters, and it isn't learned by writing hundreds of sales letters by hand. That path only teaches you how to do it someone else's way. Unfortunately that isn't what copywriting is all about, and the world may not want that anymore.

Copywriting is about influencing, and if you can't think for yourself then you can't influence. If you can't come up with a creative thought, and if you can't come up with ways to say things that move people in some direction, then you're either wasting your time, or you need more practice.

When you talk to someone and they don't understand you, is it their fault?

or...

...is it yours for your inability to communicate in ways they understand?

This is probably the most common problem among copywriters. It penetrates deeper than the me mentality. It goes beyond giving people what they want. It's the idea that it's always someone else's fault. It's the lack of responsibility we take for our own actions.

You can study technique in all directions, and you can blame others for not understanding, but when the things you write don't get results, it's not them, it's you.

So, how do you overcome the challenge of technique as a new copywriter? How do you give the people what they want, when what they want isn't something you know? How do you become a communicator? How do you become adaptable? How do you become an elite warrior of copy renowned for his innovative solutions, flexible personality, and infinite creativity?

The answer is simple, but it takes hard work.

Are you ready for hard work? Or, are you another Slowlaner still making excuses?

Nobody here can think for you, and unfortunately if you're writing hundreds of sales letters by hand, that's exactly what you're striving for. You want the easy path. You want the things that worked for other people. You want someone to do it for you.

If you've been following this thread, and haven't gotten results yet, I guarantee this is why. It's because real thought & creativity is hard, and you're still trying to follow the instructions of someone else.

There are no more techniques to teach. There's nothing else you need to learn. If you haven't opened your mind by now, then stop reading, because I can't force you to do it. No one can.

No amount of study will prepare you, just like no amount of training in the world can make a soldier ready for his first battle. Sometimes you just have to do it. You just have to man up and step off the boat and onto the shore. Sometimes there's no substitute for action.

No legendary warrior became legend by training.

The great heroes of the past had to prove themselves in battle. They had to have courage, and be willing to challenge the greatest odds. They had to overcome by sheer cunning, determination, and will. They had to figure shit out for themselves.

The copywriter's path is the same. The only techniques you need to learn are those which work on the battlefield, and in today's world, that means creating new techniques that people aren't used to.

Remember how we used to fight? Soldiers lined up in a row in front of one another and took turns firing... This happened until someone got creative and thought... what if we didn't do it that way...

It was a game changer.

This is what you have to do. You have to be innovative. You have to be an artist. You have to create.

If this isn't you, then you will fail your clients.

I never said anyone can become a copywriter. I never claimed it was easy. I never said the way to make money freelancing was through copy. If that's what you read, then you misunderstood. Perhaps I failed to communicate it, and I'm okay with that, but I'm also not sure there's any other way to say the only way to succeed is by actually being able to help people.

If you think you can help people by giving them the same old crap that other professionals have used, then you're headed down a dark road that leads nowhere.

The only way to succeed is to think for yourself. To make decisions for yourself. To send copy into the world that was pulled straight from the depths of your own mind, and not a copy of someone else's.

Be assured, the definition of copywriting is not to copy the writing of others.

The most powerful copywriting technique available to you is the technique and style you create for yourself. It's the one that manifests from countless hours of figuring out what your client's & customers want and need, and coming up with new ways to give it to them.

The most powerful lesson I can give you in technique is that you don't need technique. You don't need to do it the same way as everyone else. You don't have to follow a set of directions.

Have you ever seen a headline, with a sub headline right below it? Of course you have... Because that's the way it's done.

But what if your sub-headline wasn't below the headline? What if it was vertical and off to the left? Who gives a shit if the world doesn't call it a sub headline anymore. If it gets attention, and builds interest then you did your job!

Technique is only as powerful as it's ability to get results.

Does yours?

What

If

There

Is

No

Right

Way

To

Do

Things?

Day 14 Challenge
1. Review common techniques you think are set in stone. Then ask yourself how you might approach them differently. What simple change can you make that completely transforms the outcome?

2. Write something completely random. Make it your own. Allow yourself to be free and create. Who cares how long or short it is. Just write, and express yourself. Allow ideas to pop into your mind and flow from your brain to your fingertips to your document. Become fluid like water, always moving toward your goals, and ready to maneuver around obstacles instead of being blocked.

3. Experience the world around you. When was the last time you noticed how the keys feel under your fingers? When was the last time you realized how soft your toilet paper is? When was the last time you looked at a word and it lost it's meaning? How curious are you about the world around you? Do you notice things, or do things just happen? Are you just going through the motions? What if you stopped? What if you searched for meaning in everything? What if you opened yourself up to the creativity all around you?

4. Help someone without asking anything in return.

5. Find someone to write copy for in the real world, whether online, or offline. Write copy for them. Get results. Create your own technique for the first time. Who cares if it's different or the same. As long as it gets the job done. As long as you get results. As long as you take the next step forward. What are you so afraid of? What are you waiting for? How long have you got?

WWWWHHHHOOOOO
CCCAARRRREEESSSSS

IFOOOTTTHHEERRSS
DDDIIIIIIDDDDDIIITTT
DDIIFFEERREENNTTT

When we think for ourselves we open a world of possibilities.
When we ask questions we gain clarity. When we take
action we get answers. When we take responsibility
the paradigm shifts in our favor. When you're
ready, continue to the final lesson.
Day 15 - Influence
Lesson

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Perhaps this is an example of what Lex is trying to say above.

After reading the post on storytelling. I haven't studied the storytelling aspect of copy yet so it was new for me.

However, an "idea" popped in my head soon after.

Applying for jobs on ODesk. Everyone I've seen do it. Either talk about how qualified they are. Which Lex has taught us it's not the way to do it.

Focus on a "you" application instead of a "me" one.

What if I told a story in my application? Hmmm I've never heard of that. I should look it up before I try it. I should open Cashvertising and see if it's a "technique" before I try it. It could be stupid, it might not work. It doesn't make much sense.

I didn't do that, I tried it right away out of pure excitement. The creativity copy can bring is a rush.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Challenge 10

1. Answer the questions and try the exercises above if you haven't already done so.

Check - I prefer to keep this to myself:)

2. Help someone in some way. Solve a problem for them. Ask nothing in return.

I ran a 1.5 hour long skype call walking through a client exactly how to setup a successful facebook ad - free

Every morning when I wake up, I read emails from clients who praise my work, and I'm not even remotely close to Lex status of a copywriter.

But you have to believe. Believe it work, and it will.

3. Take action on something you've been procrastinating on, or putting off.

I had 2 tasks I really needed to get done and finished them 6.30am today and immediately felt more energy.

4. Write 5 headlines that are very specific - targeted toward a niche audience.

1. How an Ex-Homeless Built an Email List Using Starbuck's WiFi
  2. The Minute-Email List Trick - Explode Your List in a Tick
  3. His House Burnt down - but the Email List Paid for a New One
  4. If You Build an Email List like This in 2015 You're Not Making It into 2016
  5. He Turned a List of 57 People into Five Figures Overnight
5. Write a short 2 to 3 paragraph, persuasive product description (not a sales letter).

Here is my copy:

Do you know what's sucky about writing copy?
Ideas. You stare into the void. All you can think of is
pressing that "Post Reply." You badly want to come up with
something clever. Something that sells, right?

But it does not have to be that way. Not if you follow along
in the 15 Days to Freedom. Because that way you can make money
copywriting in 15 days or Less. And even tell the never ending
rat race to f... have a pleasant journey.

So, do you know what sucks about writing copy?
Nothing. It defines. It cuts through. Copy captures the essence of
your inner-most desire. To make others feel like a kid at Christmas, when
the package you sold them arrives at their doorstep. And your
bank account.
--------
Now, I thought reading my copy might be very boring. So I looked up Thinkgeek, who has some killing product descriptions on their site. Funny and interesting, makes you wanna buy simple stuff.

Here is the website: ThinkGeek
Here are some really great examples:

Product: Flashlight
You know what's sucky about regular flashlights? They only come in two colors: white or that yellowish-white that reminds us of the teeth of an avid coffee drinker. What fun is that kind of flashlight? We'll answer that: NO FUN AT ALL. You know what is fun? Using the Multi-Color LED Flashlight to cast a sickly green glow over your face while telling a zombie story around a campfire. No campfire? Make a fake one with the orange light!

--------
Product: some electric gizmo
GREAT SCOTT!! Marty has travelled back in time and taken the Flux Capacitor with him. We're not exactly sure where, so Doc Brown has authorized us to make these smaller Flux Capacitors to you so we can crowd-search time for Marty. Each one is capable of returning to a specific point in time, so you can join the search. Just plug it into your car's 12V vehicle power adapter (cigarette lighter) and turn it on. 88mph and . . . ok, don't go that fast. That would be bad, because the Flux Capacitor Car Chargerwon't really take you through time - but it will charge all your USB-powered goodies.

--------
Product: avengers plush toys

We've all seen it before. Sometimes when superheroes become established they go soft. They coast on their reputation, remembering past good deeds instead of undertaking new ones. But nobody would accuse the Avengers of such shenanigans - until now.

They've all gone soft, or, well, at least some of the guys have. Choose Captain America, Hulk, Iron Man, or Thor. Each of these Avengers: Age of Ultron Fabrikations soft-sculpt figures from Funko has only one point of articulation. Their heads turn, as if to say, "No, we have NOT gone soft. We have gone plushy. It's different." Take it from our tiny genius, billionaire, playboy, plushanthropist.

Day 10/15 completed

Last edited:

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
Situation solved, don't want to hijack the thread. Have love, will travel!

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Incredible thread Lex, rep transferred. Thanks for sharing.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
@David Fiddler First of all I would like to say this: I understand WHY you put this post into this thread, but as it is kind of unrelated to the copywriting @SinisterLex is meaning to teach, please make a new thread and refer to this. I wanna see this thread go GOLD and I bet everyone want to keep it niched on copy.

I don't mean to be someone who point fingers and tell you want you can't do, because I can't. But your post opens up for a lot of discussion which can dilute the purpose of this thread:)

That Said I will write you an answer on what you should do. Based on my own life experience.

3. Go with GF to the UK but work on oDesk and try to set up something of my own as well (need to make much more cash from my freelance biz to make it work if I live in the UK)

I hope your questions are rhetorical because this is obviously the answer you should go with (or option 2).

And the reasons you should go with option 3 are these:
summer break
Summer and break in the same sentence
I live in a dirt poor country
So screw it
I love her
Worth fighting for
UK is much riskier
Controlled risk=phat rewards
if I fail
You won't
I also plan to raise my hourly price
Good

You basically justified option number 3 yourself. Now go get it, or does it hurt bad enough?

Breaking into a business or a semi-fastlane (freelancing is not fastlane) you can get
somewhat caught up in it. It can isolate you from the outside world because you are so focused
on building a business for yourself.

This is a negative thing.

The best ideas comes from new experiences. And you will get a shitload of those changing
environment. Look what moving to AZ did to @MJ DeMarco or to all the other guys on this forum who praise
the benefit of moving. Not for the sake of moving but all it brings to you.

I moved to Denver to study; best decision ever. I moved to several different cities
in Sweden, brought me tons of new experiences, ideas, opportunities and met friends for
life. I'm looking to move to another country in about 1 year. Again looking forward to it.

Oliver Emberton (famous blogger) has a great post on this actually, here is a quote:

Where you live
Your environment has a constant impact on your stats, skills, and your chances of levelling up.

It’s possible to play the game well almost anywhere, but it’s a lot easier in certain places. If you’re female and in the wrong country, for example, you can’t unlock many achievements.

The odds of anyone being born in their optimal location are virtually zero, so research your options, and consider moving early. Location is a multiplier to all of your skills and states.

btw, did you read that red part? Yes?
Read it again.

Here is the link to his post

What I'm saying to you in simple terms: Get Up, Get Moving, Live a Little.

The world is not inside UpWork (formerly oDesk) it is out there.

Edit: Now that I think of it, option 3 is 'least' risk. It gives you the option to multiply, you can freelance, or pick a job, be with your dear, go to awesome night clubs and live an awesome life abroad, get a lot of experience. Time to level up:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.