The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let’s talk about cyber bullying

WJS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 3, 2017
MY
Recently a serial poster’s thread in this forum was heavily “tagged” with various “creative” insults. It’s not the first time it has happened, and it probably won’t be the last.

I’ll admit it. I laughed my a** off when I first saw it. Hey I’m only human. To a certain extend he deserved it. But after a while it got me really thinking, is it really necessary? And is that what a mature person would do?

I feel that we can, and should be civil to people whom we don’t agree with. A healthy debate/discussion would be great and mentally stimulating as well. But adding insulting tags to demean the person? What would that accomplish?

I personally feel that we should never hit below the belt. I normally choose not to respond if it’s not worth it. Either the person won’t appreciate your response or he/she won’t get it, and you’d only end up wasting your time and effort. It’s a lose-lose situation.

Don’t stoop as low as the other party. Be the bigger person. And here are some memes/quotes for your entertainment:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

P.S.: on a completely different matter, how does one add/edit the tags in a thread?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
P.S.: on a completely different matter, how does one add/edit the tags in a thread?

I believe INSIDERS can only tag / tag modify threads.

Recently a serial poster’s thread in this forum was heavily “tagged” with various “creative” insults. It’s not the first time it has happened, and it probably won’t be the last.

I didn't get to see them before a MOD deleted them, but I heard they were entirely inappropriate.

We have to try to be better.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
This sh*t really gets my goat. This forum is intended to build businesses and to collaborate professionally.

If you’re going to come in here and act like we’re in highschool, GTFO and go to Reddit.

It’s not even a matter of bullying or not. Most of us here are grown adults and we need to comport ourselves as such.

If I see this in threads, I shut it down fast. I expect everyone else does the same too to keep this forum as a haven of civility and good content.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
This sh*t really gets my goat. This forum is intended to build businesses and to collaborate professionally.

If you’re going to come in here and act like we’re in highschool, GTFO and go to Reddit.

It’s not even a matter of bullying or not. Most of us here are grown adults and we need to comport ourselves as such.

If I see this in threads, I shut it down fast. I expect everyone else does the same too to keep this forum as a haven of civility and good content.
I see this often with sexism too, and try to put an end to it where I can.

Yes, this is an "anonymous" forum, but we should still act like everyone can see who we are. If this is how people act in their "real" lives, then I feel sorry for those around them.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I don’t know if I’d consider forum disagreements ‘cyberbullying.’ I mean I agree with what you said, but the flip side you’re if you’re being criticized you don’t want to shut that person down because there can be a valuable lesson in that criticism.

I think we’re adults. We’ll duke it out and if it means getting a bloody lip, so be it. That’s free speech.

I don’t know what the tags said... someone message me and tell me.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
For the record, I've never claimed to be mature :hilarious:

I'll take this site as an example and personally, everyone should go by this on every site.... this site is MJ's world. He created it so everyone here should respect HIS rules. No, you do NOT have free speech here. If you don't want to play by HIS rules, either leave or eventually either him or a mod might kick you off. I've been edited on here and sent a message. Sometimes I know I'm either on the line or an inch or 2 over... if I was a rule follower I'd be an area manager at Burger King instead of owning my own businesses. Except for 1 member on here, I never want to be mean to anyone although sometimes it comes off that way. I'm not sure if I participated in the mentioned thread but if I did, I never want to hurt anyone's feelings.... well, except for that 1 member :fistbump: I've learned to be kinda tough around the edges so what hurts some people's feelings, is just my constructive criticism and I think a few others might be the same way.

This is pretty much how I act in real life and some how people seem to like me. :rofl:

Captain04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Oct 21, 2018
India
if you’re being criticized you don’t want to shut that person down because there can be a valuable lesson in that criticism.
This. Just think of the 'bullying' as feedback for being a dick. I don't know what happened on the thread, but I've rarely seen anyone bash someone else on this forum if there was not a valid reason.
Also, we are way too sensitive nowadays imho.

TinyOldLady

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm surprised that the tags have been deleted, but not the insults, that the OP of that thread used. Some of them I had to look up in the dictionary and was shocked to be honest... (I would not use such words in an "adult conversation")

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
The problem is this is the internet. But the problem is also the advantage.

When somebody calls you dumb on here that's a good thing.

If you were talking to someone in real life about your ideas they probably would just agree with you to avoid confrontation. Even if it's a dumb idea and they know it will fail.

On the internet the truth comes out. Allowing real criticism and life lessons for those with a thick skin.

Unless you are like Kevin O'Leary and don't care about people's feelings most people in real life will tell you to keep sailing on a sinking ship. Don't give up. Keep going!

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
The problem is this is the internet. But the problem is also the advantage.

When somebody calls you dumb on here that's a good thing.

If you were talking to someone in real life about your ideas they probably would just agree with you to avoid confrontation. Even if it's a dumb idea and they know it will fail.

On the internet the truth comes out. Allowing real criticism and life lessons for those with a thick skin.

Unless you are like Kevin O'Leary and don't care about people's feelings most people in real life will tell you to keep sailing on a sinking ship. Don't give up. Keep going!

In person if someone asks me, they will get the truth no matter if it sucks or not. If it sucks I'll tell them to give it shot, a hard fall is a good lesson to learn. If they don't ask, I keep my mouth shut if I think it's a dumb idea. Then I think to myself... I knew it wouldn't work :rofl:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I don't advocate cyberbullies at all. Yet, I understand really you will always have negative critics, bullies, and people aren't always going to be nice with their words. It's always good to understand it's not about you, and not take it personally and make it about yourself. This is just a necessary part of life to learn. While we love being professional, there are times when people's ego's get out of control. I believe it's just simple to say, you have to have a tough skin sometimes. Sure it is nerve racking at times, and it also has to do with how you perceive the event. Whether you are also in fight or flight mode, experiencing stress, anxiety, what your personal thoughts are about yourself, the world, and whether you have a negative perception of life in general. Some of this is teaching you to be strong emotionally and mentally, and also pushes you out of your comfort zone. This may be about setting personal boundaries. This may also have to do with whether you value yourself and value others. Respect and dignity for self and others.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Well said and taken @WJS. I've witnessed a few recently and just kept moving, don't fancy playing chess with pigeons lol.

This is a site for leaders, both prospective and accomplished. To occasionally say dumb things and get corrected is expected, as is to disagree, but respectfully and without malice.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.