The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let’s be real: If you're over 35, you don't have a chance.

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
My dad grew up in a poor family and wasn't handed anything, ever. He went on to switch careers three times, one of those times when he was 40 years old. Mind you, it was a completely different field. He owned his own business and passed the CPA exam on his first attempt after studying and working full-time on his business simultaneously.

The take away: mentality is extremely important, and that if you want something bad enough, you'll do what it takes to make it happen.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
I am 47 years old and a very successful lawyer.

But if I were 27 ... I'd be struggling to survive.

There would be nothing I possibly could do to persuade affluent clients to place their trust in a 27 year old version of me ... in lieu of someone similarly situated with 20 or 30 years experience. No mater how good I was at 27.

In my line of work ... the older you are .... the more money you make.

95 percent of the wealth in this nation is concentrated in the hands of those 35 and older.

Millennials are broke.

Unless Mom and Dad are footing the bill, Millennials are not who I want as clients. I want the age demographic with the money.

Me being 47 is a huge advantage.

Experience matters. As does trust. And the two tend to go hand in hand

Were I in Vegas .... I'd put my money on the 35+ entrepreneurs all day long.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Well, you could also argue that older people have more experience and fewer distractions than younger people. The only real advantage younger folks have is they don't have bills/debts and kids like others. But even then, they still screw off in their life.

It really all depends on the person. I know people who had every need met in their life and never struggled yet they whine about life still. Sometimes getting banged up in life builds resourcefulness and resilence others don't have.

Your point makes sense, but to me, it really is no indicator of someones' likelihood of success. Having everything done right for you or having nothing given to you can really go either way for a person.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Lmao. I’m just stating facts. I’m not saying you can’t be a “fastlaner” or someone who starts their own business at 35. I’m just saying it’s harder.

LOL says the guy who titled his thread, "Let’s be real: If you're over 35, you don't have a chance"

Like @SteveO, I don't know why I have put so much time into this post. It's pretty clear to me, who on this forum doesn't have a chance...

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
LOL says the guy who titled his thread, "Let’s be real: If you're over 35, you don't have a chance"

Like @SteveO, I don't know why I have put so much time into this post. It's pretty clear to me, who on this forum doesn't have a chance...
None of you got the point of this thread and it’s clear to me that none of you guys clearly read what I said. If you have been scripted your whole life you can’t just SNAP your finger into not being unscripted . It’s a process of looking at bad habits.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
You guys seem o be so triggered by this lmao. Must state where you guys are at. If it didn’t matter move on but some of you guys seem so OBSESSED

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016
Let’s be real, can you make it when your past 35? Now I KNOW what more then the majority of this site will say. “Of course you can! There are so many examples! You can do anything you set your mind to!”

The reality is that one’s youth is HIGHLY HIGHLY influential in the direction of one’s life. Take a guy who got bullied since pre school. He will grow up thinking he is unlovable. This will cause him to not try in anything. This will then further reinforce his low value even further creating a downward spiral. Can he fix this? Of course. And many have. But some won’t. And those that didn’t receive that negative feedback will have a major advantage.

The same with any skill. If you are 6’7 and want to join the NBA at 31 you have no shot. The guy who was 6’7 and wanted to join the NBA since 7 will outclass you 10000%.

I think the same could be with entrepreneurship or with anything. The younger you are the more positive reference experience you will get which will further reinforce your level of output and energy to get the result. The upward spiral of awesomeness. The opposite holds true as well.

Let’s be honest. How many that start (key word start) at 35 actually make it?

Pure bullshit. Not even bullshit, it is HORSESHIT.

I was bullied for 8 years from 5th grade until end of high school. I did not know what being respected means, until I got into university at 16. I was a virgin until 23.

I am now 30, I have had my share of female flesh (probably at the point where most of you would call me a slut), I have acquired my master's with 23, my PhD with 27. If it was true that you really cannot, I could not have done it.

I would argue that I am one of the low-achievers here.

If you really, truly believe that you do not deserve a shitty way of living, you just find the way for it. The pain is just too unbearable if I cannot, that is what brings me forward.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018

I was bullied for 8 years from 5th grade until end of high school. I did not know what being respected means, until I got into university at 16. I was a virgin until 23.

I am now 30, I have had my share of female flesh (probably at the point where most of you would call me a slut), I have acquired my master's with 23, my PhD with 27. If it was true that you really cannot, I could not have done it.

If you really, truly believe that you do not deserve a shitty way of living, you just find the way for it. The pain is just too unbearable if I cannot, that is what brings me forward.
I'm not saying its impossible to get out but its very hard. I was in a similar situation as you. Throughout high school I was the chubby kid who got zero girls while all my friends were having sex and ripped. Fast forward 6 years and I outclass almost all my friends in terms of fitness and girls. But god damn did it take work and a lot of fear breaking. They actually got WORSE overtime in both.
The point I am making is that most people settle. And if you have settled until 35 and you maintain those bad habits, it is VERY HARD to get out. Not impossible but it takes a lot and most people give up. I am NOT BEING NEGATIVE THIS IS REALITY. Almost everyone I meet who gets into fitness will eventually quit on that six pack. When I see someone succeed I am very happy and suprised as most people quit. So many people in this thread are misinterpreting what I am saying but whatever I find it comical.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I'm not saying its impossible to get out but its very hard. I was in a similar situation as you. Throughout high school I was the chubby kid who got zero girls while all my friends were having sex and ripped. Fast forward 6 years and I outclass almost all my friends in terms of fitness and girls. But god damn did it take work and a lot of fear breaking. They actually got WORSE overtime in both.
The point I am making is that most people settle. And if you have settled until 35 and you maintain those bad habits, it is VERY HARD to get out. Not impossible but it takes a lot and most people give up. I am NOT BEING NEGATIVE THIS IS REALITY. Almost everyone I meet who gets into fitness will eventually quit on that six pack. When I see someone succeed I am very happy and suprised as most people quit. So many people in this thread are misinterpreting what I am saying but whatever I find it comical.
Well I mean you did title the thread "If You're Over 35, You Don't Have A Chance."

Not "If You're Over 35, it's harder" or even "If You're Over 35, it's less likely" the thread title is basically "If You're Over 35, You have an exactly 0% chance"

Being exact with words is important.

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
Just from my observations in life, most people really don't start building wealth until about their mid-life after their children are graduated from high school, which typically does start around the age 35-40 and they can focus on their careers and not their children so much.

People have become successful at different times. You have your early bloomers and your later bloomers. I believe they may even switch places at times.

As a nurse aide, I've watched all the social classes rise and fall.

Most people believe, "They Can't" because people who believe "They can't" tell them "They can't", and you end up with a lot of people saying, "I can't" and making u a millions excuses "Why I can't because....of this?"

Which comes to the question, "How bad do you want it?"

What will you do to get there?
What will you sacrifice to get there?
What will you do differently to get there?

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
Just from my observations in life, most people really don't start building wealth until about their mid-life after their children are graduated from high school, which typically does start around the age 35-40 and they can focus on their careers and not their children so much.

hahaha, or just don't have kids til one is 40 :playful:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
hahaha, or just don't have kids til one is 40 :playful:
Yes, you should build wealth first, than have children and get married. That way perhaps all the bullshit is out of the way. Although you'd be 60 when they turn 20. But not so bad. It's when you have parents who are 70 or 80 that it gets kind of funky.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

You are not really proving against anything.

High education attainment is correlated with having few sexual partners and delaying sexual gratification.

How the hell are you a low achiever?

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
I'm not saying its impossible to get out but its very hard. I was in a similar situation as you. Throughout % high school I was the chubby kid who got zero girls while all my friends were having sex and ripped. Fast forward 6 years and I outclass almost all my friends in terms of fitness and girls. But god damn did it take work and a lot of fear breaking. They actually got WORSE overtime in both.

I really see what your are trying to say, and yet I have to disagree. I think your view is a little twisted. I do not think it matters if you are 16 or 80. It takes a certain mindset to change yourself permanently, it takes hard work and self belief. This is really not easy to do and that is why so few people succeed. They do not want and will not leave their comfort zone.

I have had the good fortune to have dated & gotten to know a lot of wonderful women in my life & I continue to do so today. (I am 35 btw).
Mostly all of these ladies are less than 33 years old. Through this intimate exposure to a variety of personalities, one can immediately see the flaws in your arguments. A significant proportion of young people, and yes maybe slightly less than their older 35+ counterparts, are already indoctrinated to scripted life by their Egos and what society, parents and teachers expect. I have seen this in most of the ladies I have dated and the friends I have met along the way.

I think you need to think better about proportions of the population, and probabilities of success instead of painting the world black and white with you oversized judgmental paint brush. When you flip a coin it and it is heads, it is still 50% likely that it will be heads the next flip.
95% of people wont pick up the coin or know it is there.
But if you do, and your young (<35), you have a lot more coins to flip & more time to do it.
When your old (>35) like me with a ton of experience in your back pocket you only need a few coins because they are weighted to a more predictable outcome.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
You are not very bright brian suh. I am 65 and in the last twelve months I have done the following even though your title says I have no chance.
Launching my Vegan business directory
Close to getting my Vegan cosmetic lipgloss out there utilising mjs Saturday market and 2 other channels.
Bought a coffee van out of spare cash $40,000
When I turned 23 I was a well known Ultrasound technician in oil and gas in the uk.
I have had 3 divorces thereby not having as much accumulated wealth as I would prefer but that is the cost of happiness.
Your attitude stinks.
I almost didn't read this thread as I am at the point where time is more important than money.
Good luck Brian
Good luck

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
I have had 3 divorces thereby not having as much accumulated wealth as I would prefer but that is the cost of happiness.
Not relevant to this thread but it would be adding value to young people if you could start a post about wealth protection from divorce.

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
The point I am making is that most people settle. And if you have settled until 35 and you maintain those bad habits, it is VERY HARD to get out.

i would say this is true for the masses ( energy of society ) . not for smart people.

the energy of a system does not need to evolve.

the managers of a system do need to evolve .

i suggest people think on this quote :

so i 've made a quick picture :

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
None of you got the point of this thread and it’s clear to me that none of you guys clearly read what I said. If you have been scripted your whole life you can’t just SNAP your finger into not being unscripted . It’s a process of looking at bad habits.

We hear you loud and clear.

I worked the corporate life for 10 years, didn’t know anything about business, read RDPD, 4HWW and started my biz.

I am, as many others here and direct proof that your entire premise is wrong. But for some reason we don’t count in your assertions because you choose to believe what you believe. This is why you will fail. A 23yo know it all that has a mindset belief set in stone. You are the epitome of this imaginary 35yo. It’s so ironic!

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
I think folks here misunderstood the OP. He not saying its is game over for people to start business after 35.

I think OP is saying if someone remains unmotivated or living a scripted life for too long, OP doubts that he can be changed. In short OP is asking “What took you so long if you really can do it?”

My view is that we need to differentiate between the hardworking scripted guys versus those that are plain unmotivated and lazy. There are plenty of hardworking people who take care of themselves but just never thought or believed that they can run a business. Good work ethics is always transferable.

In terms of work ethic, yes people can change. But from my experience most hardworking people are hardworking since high school. Hyper competitive personality to some extent has an inborn element. It also had a lot to do with parental upbringings.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
You guys seem o be so triggered by this lmao.

As you grow older and hopefully see success in your life, one of the greatest attributes you could develop is self awareness. The ability to view things from a different angle and to say “maybe I’m looking at this the wrong way” can propel you forward exponentially.

What is triggering people is that you are on a forum started by a guy who is dedicating the precious time in his life, for little financial gain, to helping people of all ages escape the script.
So when a 40 year old reads his books and decides they want a better life, they hop on here and the first thing they see is a post that deflates them instead of encouraging them.

We understand the point you are trying to make here, but please try looking at it from that angle. You may think you’re pointing out an uncomfortable truth but really what you’re doing is disrespecting your future, MJ, and every current and future member of this forum. We wish you all the best and thanks for initiating the discussion.

bibbysoka

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jul 5, 2019

No. We all got your point. We all read it clearly, and we get what you're trying to say. We understand the point you're trying to argue.

It's just incorrect.

Take some of the criticism openly, and use it to change your mind. It's okay to be wrong and admit that you learned from a thread like this. In fact, it will help you in so many ways if you just agree with what we're saying. You'll be happier, and you won't look down on anyone. You'll be humbled.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Well this is an embarrasing thread for you isn't it, OP.

By the way, I'm 36, started 2 years ago (lucky me I just made It by 1 year! Lol) and am halfway to matching the money I made before leaving my sidewalk slowlane life. I chose not to have children early and didn't buy cars on finance that I couldn't afford etc.

My dad had 3 kids and a mortgage at 23. It was much MUCH harder for him than me.

It's not about age, you numpty.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
None of you got the point of this thread and it’s clear to me that none of you guys clearly read what I said.
You don't even realize how dumb you sound, do you? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
As you grow older and hopefully see success in your life, one of the greatest attributes you could develop is self awareness. The ability to view things from a different angle and to say “maybe I’m looking at this the wrong way” can propel you forward exponentially.

What is triggering people is that you are on a forum started by a guy who is dedicating the precious time in his life, for little financial gain, to helping people of all ages escape the script.
So when a 40 year old reads his books and decides they want a better life, they hop on here and the first thing they see is a post that deflates them instead of encouraging them.

We understand the point you are trying to make here, but please try looking at it from that angle. You may think you’re pointing out an uncomfortable truth but really what you’re doing is disrespecting your future, MJ, and every current and future member of this forum. We wish you all the best and thanks for initiating the discussion.
I whole heartedly agree that everyone can
Well this is an embarrasing thread for you isn't it, OP.

By the way, I'm 36, started 2 years ago (lucky me I just made It by 1 year! Lol) and am halfway to matching the money I made before leaving my sidewalk slowlane life. I chose not to have children early and didn't buy cars on finance that I couldn't afford etc.

My dad had 3 kids and a mortgage at 23. It was much MUCH harder for him than me.

It's not about age, you numpty.
it is about age and if you do t think age doesn’t matter you are hyper delusional and can’t admit you’ve wasted years of your life. Imagine if you started the fast lane at 15. Where would your life be? Your choices and actions?

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
You don't even realize how dumb you sound, do you? :rofl::rofl::rofl:
Yes I’m sorry. Age doesn’t matter. A person that starts working out at 13 and is now 25 will be smaller then the guy starting to workout at 37 with all the bagged of his bad habits while the one at 13 started with good habits and had MOMENTUM. This is how I know you are idiots because you don’t understand the power of momentum. I AM NOT SAYING YOU CANT SUCCED IF YOU START AT 35!! What don’t you get? I suck at basketball but I know if I play for 10 years doesn’t mean I will be able to beat Lebron even though I’ll improve. I simply can’t. He has more years and talent on me. Will I be good? Yes. Will I be better than him? Absolutely not.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane

it is about age and if you do t think age doesn’t matter you are hyper delusional and can’t admit you’ve wasted years of your life. Imagine if you started the fast lane at 15. Where would your life be? Your choices and actions?
Oh my god, this is moronic.

I should really stop getting involved in dumb arse threads. This whole thing is a waste of time.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

Where are you at now?

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
Oh my god, this is moronic.

I should really stop getting involved in dumb arse threads. This whole thing is a waste of time.
Then leave lmao. Normal people just ignore this and say “oh that’s stupid I’ll go do something else now” but it seems to me this obviously got to you. Lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.