The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Leasing an office vs working from home

Anything related to matters of the mind

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Hey All,

I'm at the point where I can afford an office (netting near $13k a month - found a decent office around $450/month in a building). I'm wondering if any of you have been through the jump of moving from home to an office space and have any opinions on how it effected your productivity?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Hey All,

I'm at the point where I can afford an office (netting near $13k a month - found a decent office around $450/month in a building). I'm wondering if any of you have been through the jump of moving from home to an office space and have any opinions on how it effected your productivity?

I'm eager to do this as soon as I can afford it. My current client rents an office outside his home and loves the separation between work and personal life. For myself, I know it would really help me stay focused on business tasks during working time, and leave work aside for personal life when at home.

Flybye

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Feb 19, 2018
Cuba v2.1 (Miami)
Its not just the $450, what about the additional costs in transportation and time lost in commuting? If you do not see clients, then why not stay at home? Some even buy fancified sheds for their backyard like those shown in www.studio-shed.com to help separate job from work yet continue the convenience of still being at home.

To answer your question I did not lose or gain productivity when my family moved the basement business to a real office. I did greatly miss being at home, though.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hey All,

It depends. Are you meeting with clients? It's important to me to have an outside office because I have a parade of tenants, workmen and others who need to see me. I'd rather it's at my office rather than having them come to my house. I used to meet people at my Laundromat. That sure wasn't a comfortable situation. It's a lot easier to have regular office hours and place to meet them.

My office hours are 8:30 AM to 2 PM, Tuesday through Saturday. If I have to leave, then I put up my "Be Back at _____."

If I didn't have to meet people face to face, I wouldn't bother. Having office hours is a pain in the &?@## -- but, it works for running the businesses.
www.wjkbusinessbuzz.com

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
If you're client facing, get an office. If not, choose what works better for you.

I have two offices in the city that I never go to. Work better from home. But it's up to you to decided what works better.

However, if you're client facing, get an office and make it impress.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I’m kind of in a unique situation, because I would need Flex space. Eventually I’m going to outgrow using storage units for my warehousing.

So, it’ll make sense to get a warehouse with office condo.

However, I know I personally work much better away from home. I get easily distracted at home.

What about finding a coworking space that offers private desk or private office?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
As for the business that I work in daily, I now have a work place about 3 miles from my house.... problem is.... I still work at my house. lol I'm a self-starter so I know what I have to do and what I need to get done. That does not change no matter if I were to work for someone else, work at home or some place other than my house. Personally, I get MUCH less done if I work any place other than my house yet I do know where the line of work and home is.

jramos02

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 18, 2018
New York
I haven't been through this myself just yet. But apart from what people said above regarding clients, it might be worth having a designated "work area" at home.

Just finished reading "Willpower Doesn't Work" and one of the main points the author makes is how important our environment is. If you have a designated "work area", it switches you to be more productive and work focused. Also helps you detach from work related tasks once you are not in that area.

What is making you consider getting an office though? What is your main motivator or reasoning behind it? What kind of problem are you potentially trying to solve by getting an office outside of your home?

D

Deleted20833

Depends on your personality type but
I found myself to be more productive
at an office especially since mine was
really quiet and where I live not so much

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
If you took checks that would at least get you out to the bank once a day ;)

I haven't been to a 'bank' in YEARS! We have a small local credit union. But, we still have to deposit all the cash in the credit union. The lil woman is taking $11,238 in the morning to deposit for weekend sales. But, it still doesn't get me out of the house because she does it on the way to the museum. lol

I stopped taking checks for my small businesses in 2011. In businesses that I'm a part of that are big businesses and deal in large numbers, they do take checks but that is their choice, not mine. I'd rather do some type of PayPal/Square/etc for the businesses that I'm not a direct part of the every day to day operations.

For any meetings you may have and need a space, there is a site to find places to hold meetings. Some are free and some have an hourly rental rate. I'll see if I have that site saved on my other computer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.