The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Working from home with no office?

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
(Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I honestly had no idea where to post it, please move if necessary)

Hey guys, I recently got a job where I get to work from home.

Issue is, my place is TINY. I have no room for a desk, so I was thinking of getting something to replace my coffee table that would be like a coffee table/desk combo changing thing?

If anyone has any ideas or have been through this same situation please let me know!! I honestly have 0 room for a new desk.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Good one, anyways I obviously have searched Google but most of the stuff that comes up is coffee tables that lift up for a hidden compartment rather than to work on. I am asking if anyone has used anythingblike what I am searching for

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Good one, anyways I obviously have searched Google but most of the stuff that comes up is coffee tables that lift up for a hidden compartment rather than to work on. I am asking if anyone has used anythingblike what I am searching for

Thanks for being a good sport :)

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Do you have a kitchen table?

I personally don't use desks. I use fold out tables.

G

GuestUser450

I am asking if anyone has used anything like what I am searching for
I built a standup desk - simple,cheap and you can use whatever you want for the top/depth.

But if you look for 'standing desk' you'll find 'laptop stands' and 'mobile desks' with small footprints that you could throw in a closet when you need to.

Or you could literally just use a tv tray.

Last edited by a moderator:

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Do you have a kitchen table?

I personally don't use desks. I use fold out tables.

I do not have a kitchen table, my place is about 450 sqft and my bedroom has zero room for anything else, living space/kitchen/laundry is combined into one, I have a coffee table and a couch, and then about 5 feet away is my kitchen.. I also live with my girlfriend so I mean if I lived here alone I would ditch the coffee table completely and just put a desk here but she doesn't like that idea :) hahahha

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I built a standup desk - simple,cheap and you can use whatever you want for height depth.

But if you look for 'standing desk' you'll find 'laptop stands' and 'mobile desks' with small footprints that you could throw in a closet when you need to.

Or you could literally just use a tv tray.

I was thinking of a tv tray... that may just work lol

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
We do what we have to... I've done the work from home thing with an office and I still need coffee shops/libraries/bookstores in the rotation.
Yeah I feel like sitting here in a basement suite all day may get me quite annoyed.. good thing there's a starbucks and other coffee shops less than a block away

Justin Gesso

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jun 4, 2014
Colorado
No one has mentioned the obvious...make more money and get a bigger place.

Working from home is a fantastic, life-changing step in the right direction. You're in the right place (this forum) to start capitalizing on the opportunities it presents. Ride it for all it's worth. ;-)

TheNextTrump

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 7, 2012
Omaha, NE.
Generic Tv trays, the wood ones that fold up. Don't have time to link pic right now.

I use to use 3 of them in the past, computer on one, mouse and important stuff on another, and all random stuff I needed quick access to on the third.

Easy to move around

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Generic Tv trays, the wood ones that fold up. Don't have time to link pic right now.

I use to use 3 of them in the past, computer on one, mouse and important stuff on another, and all random stuff I needed quick access to on the third.

Easy to move around
I never thought of using more than one. I need to have my surface pro, another monitor and my mouse all on it. So I guess two decent size fold outs would work. I'm wondering how the couch will do for my posture though. May have to watch that.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
No one has mentioned the obvious...make more money and get a bigger place.

Working from home is a fantastic, life-changing step in the right direction. You're in the right place (this forum) to start capitalizing on the opportunities it presents. Ride it for all it's worth. ;-)

Lol yes I will just go out and make money and not be able to do my job in the time being.... That's not my question, obviously I know to make money and get a bigger place. That's like you asking "what program do you use to edit photos with?" and me responding with, "don't take photos just get a photographer to do it"

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Lol yes I will just go out and make money and not be able to do my job in the time being.... That's not my question, obviously I know to make money and get a bigger place. That's like you asking "what program do you use to edit photos with?" and me responding with, "don't take photos just get a photographer to do it"

Good sport, second time :)

An added note to young guy's with attitudes...
@mcastillo is demonstrating maturity with his calm responses to less than helpful comments.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I worked for a couple of years in what amounts to a broom cupboard with no windows. Ah, the joys.

Do you have a broom cupboard or closet?

What about putting your computer up on your chest of drawers and work standing up?

Or pscrewing a folding shelf or something to the wall and making it a standing desk. The monitor could be higher and maybe attached to the wall?

Whatever you do, have good posture. You do NOT want to get "tech neck". The top of your monitor needs to be up at eye-level.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I worked for a couple of years in what amounts to a broom cupboard with no windows. Ah, the joys.

What about putting up a folding shelf or something and making it a standing desk. The monitor could be higher and maybe attached to the wall?

Whatever you do, have good posture. You do NOT want to get "tech neck". The top of your monitor needs to be up at eye-level.
Yeah I pretty much have tech neck already, pinned to a computer gaming from the age of 10.. Worst posture ever so I've been trying to make it better since. Standing for 8 hours? Do you get used to it? Hahah

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yeah I pretty much have tech neck already, pinned to a computer gaming from the age of 10.. Worst posture ever so I've been trying to make it better since. Standing for 8 hours? Do you get used to it? Hahah

I had enough room for a very small desk when I was in the broom cupboard. It was funny having to be quiet so the kids didn't know I was home. I'd have to leave for work in the morning, then sneak round the house and in the back door to get to my "office".

Come the evening, when everyone was in bed, I'd take a box down from the fridge that contained my laptop, full-size keyboard, mouse, and mousemat. The laptop then sat on the box to be up at eye-level while I used the full size keyboard.

Now I'm in the playroom, with two screens and a proper desk. It's bliss.

All these constraints are just ways to make you more creative. Like do you really have to stand for 8 hours glued to your computer each day? What if you did your thinking somewhere else (on a walk?), and only did your executing at your desk?

I find that having LESS time can sometimes make me more productive.

Anyway, I say all this so you can see how it all becomes part of your story. You'll look back fondly on how you had to hustle and how you found a way.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
I had enough room for a very small desk when I was in the broom cupboard. It was funny having to be quiet so the kids didn't know I was home. I'd have to leave for work in the morning, then sneak round the house and in the back door to get to my "office".

Come the evening, when everyone was in bed, I'd take a box down from the fridge that had a keyboard, mouse, mousemat. A laptop then sat on the box to be up at eye-level while I used the full size keyboard.

Now I'm in the playroom, with two screens and a proper desk. It's bliss.

All these constraints are just ways to make you more creative. Like do you really have to stand for 8 hours glued to your computer each day? What if you did your thinking somewhere else (on a walk?), and only did your executing at your desk?

I find that having LESS time can sometimes make me more productive.

Anyway, I say all this so you can see how it all becomes part of your story. You'll look back fondly on how you had to hustle and how you found a way.

Ah I mean as of now, I actually have a paying job while working from home... So I mean I get a lot of free time to be able to do my own research (obviously not slacking toooo hard on my 9-5 but I have a lot of spare time) So I have to be at my desk most of the day in case someone calls. But for the most part ill have to be stuck to my desk or work in a coffee shop which isnt too bad also. But I understand the struggle and the constraints but you gotta do what you gotta do rightÉ

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Use a mattress instead of a bed and then lean it against the wall during the day. I have been there.

Bottom line - do what you have to do. It won't be forever, the tough days help define the good days.

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC

Concept

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Dec 12, 2014
Does your business rely on you to take calls etc?

If not consider going to a public library and setting yourself up at a desk there.

Serves two purposes:
  • gives you the space you need to work
  • gets you out of the house and creates a separate space for "work mode"
I also found that the routine of getting out of my pj's and getting into clothes appropriate for the outside world helped me develop a morning work routine and distinguish home/relax time from work time. Its like getting ready for '9-5 work' but on your terms. You leave work at the office (aka library) and your home is where you relax. There is no blurring of lines (hugely important in the long run)

Castillo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Mar 8, 2016
Vancouver, BC
8467138704a3e65531be31c6ff33a6c9.jpg

Please SEARCH before posting.