The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Leasing an office vs working from home

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Hey All,

I'm at the point where I can afford an office (netting near $13k a month - found a decent office around $450/month in a building). I'm wondering if any of you have been through the jump of moving from home to an office space and have any opinions on how it effected your productivity?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 17, 2018
Hey All,

I'm at the point where I can afford an office (netting near $13k a month - found a decent office around $450/month in a building). I'm wondering if any of you have been through the jump of moving from home to an office space and have any opinions on how it effected your productivity?
I'm eager to do this as soon as I can afford it. My current client rents an office outside his home and loves the separation between work and personal life. For myself, I know it would really help me stay focused on business tasks during working time, and leave work aside for personal life when at home.

Flybye

Bronze Contributor
Feb 19, 2018
Cuba v2.1 (Miami)
Its not just the $450, what about the additional costs in transportation and time lost in commuting? If you do not see clients, then why not stay at home? Some even buy fancified sheds for their backyard like those shown in www.studio-shed.com to help separate job from work yet continue the convenience of still being at home.

To answer your question I did not lose or gain productivity when my family moved the basement business to a real office. I did greatly miss being at home, though.

WJK

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 9, 2017
Nikiski, Alaska
Hey All,

It depends. Are you meeting with clients? It's important to me to have an outside office because I have a parade of tenants, workmen and others who need to see me. I'd rather it's at my office rather than having them come to my house. I used to meet people at my Laundromat. That sure wasn't a comfortable situation. It's a lot easier to have regular office hours and place to meet them.

My office hours are 8:30 AM to 2 PM, Tuesday through Saturday. If I have to leave, then I put up my "Be Back at _____."

If I didn't have to meet people face to face, I wouldn't bother. Having office hours is a pain in the &?@## -- but, it works for running the businesses.
www.wjkbusinessbuzz.com

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
If you're client facing, get an office. If not, choose what works better for you.

I have two offices in the city that I never go to. Work better from home. But it's up to you to decided what works better.

However, if you're client facing, get an office and make it impress.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I’m kind of in a unique situation, because I would need Flex space. Eventually I’m going to outgrow using storage units for my warehousing.

So, it’ll make sense to get a warehouse with office condo.

However, I know I personally work much better away from home. I get easily distracted at home.

What about finding a coworking space that offers private desk or private office?

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
As for the business that I work in daily, I now have a work place about 3 miles from my house.... problem is.... I still work at my house. lol I'm a self-starter so I know what I have to do and what I need to get done. That does not change no matter if I were to work for someone else, work at home or some place other than my house. Personally, I get MUCH less done if I work any place other than my house yet I do know where the line of work and home is.

jramos02

Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
May 18, 2018
New York
I haven't been through this myself just yet. But apart from what people said above regarding clients, it might be worth having a designated "work area" at home.

Just finished reading "Willpower Doesn't Work" and one of the main points the author makes is how important our environment is. If you have a designated "work area", it switches you to be more productive and work focused. Also helps you detach from work related tasks once you are not in that area.

What is making you consider getting an office though? What is your main motivator or reasoning behind it? What kind of problem are you potentially trying to solve by getting an office outside of your home?

HugoMoreno

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jan 7, 2014
Fresno,CA
Depends on your personality type but
I found myself to be more productive
at an office especially since mine was
really quiet and where I live not so much

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
If you took checks that would at least get you out to the bank once a day ;)
I haven't been to a 'bank' in YEARS! We have a small local credit union. But, we still have to deposit all the cash in the credit union. The lil woman is taking $11,238 in the morning to deposit for weekend sales. But, it still doesn't get me out of the house because she does it on the way to the museum. lol

I stopped taking checks for my small businesses in 2011. In businesses that I'm a part of that are big businesses and deal in large numbers, they do take checks but that is their choice, not mine. I'd rather do some type of PayPal/Square/etc for the businesses that I'm not a direct part of the every day to day operations.

For any meetings you may have and need a space, there is a site to find places to hold meetings. Some are free and some have an hourly rental rate. I'll see if I have that site saved on my other computer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE How To Create A 100K-1M+ Sales Funnel
While this is a marketplace post marking the re-launch of my popular course “5-Steps to Create a...
MARKETPLACE KAK’s “Kill Bigger” Incubation Program- With DAILY personal attention.
Received, and I replied ;) Hope you will take out more protegesss soon ;)
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
This is your May reminder that you can do this. I'll keep it short. These are the May promos...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Thanks! This is a cool idea, actually. I would like to use your experience as I heard that these...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
would this be available in paper version? I know it's short, but most of my family is...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Here is where you eliminate uncertainty from the future! I wanted to post this image as I...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock