The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learning another language, a waste of time?

Twiki

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Oct 7, 2012
1. Watch movies, videos, etc in your target language.

Absolutely, this is how many people learn American, for example by watching game shows like Wheel of Fortune.

Learning another language is definitely not a waste of time. If you're concerned about aging (I note OP's signature), then it's even more worthwhile, as it may counteract effects of aging in terms of slowing down mental deterioration.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Alex Barboza

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Jul 27, 2011
Same basic question to you Alex, how would you go about learning Spanish?

If you can afford it inmerse yourself in a Spanish speaking country. Chile is a great option. Colombia, my country, is one more option you should consider. You can teach English in exchange, I guess. Don't go to Spain because their accent is too strong and can be more difficult for an English speaking person.

If you can't go abroad follow Mayana's advice. Consider volunteering with refugees and inmigrants near you. You could teach them some English and they could teach you Spanish.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
You can teach English in exchange, I guess.
Great idea. My friend did this for two years in Spain and it worked great for her. She went to Barcelona and came back speaking great Spanish even though there they also talk a lot of Catalan.

Don't go to Spain because their accent is too strong and can be more difficult for an English speaking person.
Well, yes. And no. I think it all depends on your commitment to it. It is like saying a Spanish-speaking native to avoid learning English in Australia because the accent is too strong. it still works if you decide to commit to it.

Now I am biased as I went to Spain a couple of weeks ago and came back loving it.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Also, pay attention to Mayana, she knows what she's talking about...

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
From a strictly business perspective, you should consider either Chinese (Mandarin), Spanish, or Russian.

China is clearly a world economic powerhouse and will only continue to grow. Speaking the language would be hugely beneficial for conducting business.

Spanish is the 2nd most spoken primary, and the 2nd most spoken secondary language in the world. You cannot go wrong learning Spanish and considering the economic tailwind behind several South American countries, this seems like a very logical choice.

There are about 300M native Russian speakers making it another big language. All of the former Soviet countries have Russian as either the primary or secondary language and Eastern Europe is a huge growth area. Speaking Russian would be a big plus.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
With all of these economies that have emerged, learning a second language is a MUST.

When you speak another language you activate different parts of your brain. The more parts of your brain you use the smarter you can potentially be. Your brain is like a muscle you have to use it to stay sharp and get smarter.

I speak and write spanish and every time I speak it i feel like i'm exposing a different part of my personality that I never knew I had. Its very fascinating.

A true fastlaner will understand that we live in a global economy and being able to communicate effectively is a must.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
There are about 300M native Russian speakers making it another big language. All of the former Soviet countries have Russian as either the primary or secondary language and Eastern Europe is a huge growth area. Speaking Russian would be a big plus.

I can't believe how often knowing Russian turns into a benefit at the randomest places- from video games to movies to just random people in the middle of USA. :)

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
Learn Mandarin, the market in China is huge. 9/10 Chinese people will drop their jaws when they see a foreigner speak fluent Chinese.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
Learn Russian if you want to promote anything via internet. You can rape Google so hard, they will sue you for necrophilia. You would not believe the influence of Russians on search results, organic (SEO) or paid (PPC), web automation and the like. They do have amazing software and scripts of all kinds and it really opened my eyes in a lot of ways, but that's just me coming from a certain field.

That said I think that learning a second/third/etc language is never a waste of time. However I feel like, at least for me a certain level of profiency is enough and I do not need to master a language to its fullest. Tim Ferris' has some great information on that.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Bucket list has spanish and chinese on it.

I can get by in latin america so far. No fluency at all yet.

xhcsurge

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jul 21, 2012
Belgium

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
This is one of the hardest Spanish accents for me to understand.

Can you understand an Argentinian accent? I speak Puerto Rican Spanish and I can understand Mexican and Castilian Spanish, but Argentinian Spanish just sounds alien to me.

jacobdawson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
May 7, 2012
Berlin, Germany
As mentioned above, learning Chinese (Mandarin) is a surefire way to prep yourself for opportunities in the new economy and expanding markets. I don't think anyone has yet mentioned that if you're focusing on developing nations primed to explode (figuratively, hopefully:)) then you should also consider learning Standard Hindi (India).

On top of that, as many people have already covered, learning a new language expands your horizons, forces you to think outside of the box (essential for entrepreneurs) and is also beneficial for improving fluid intelligence (Gf).

Don't wait - challenge yourself and you'll be surprised at how quickly you pick it up. That's always better than looking back and saying (in English!); "if only..."

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Can you understand an Argentinian accent?
I am native speaker and I understand all of the countries accents. Some take longer to get used to though. People from Argentina, Chile and Spain probably have the thicker Spanish accents.

If you are native English speaker from the US and go to Australia or England, will probably take a little bit of time to get used to it too. It takes an extra half second to 'get it' plus some time getting used to the local jargon of the place. Is it a condo, flat or apartment?

Heck, it even happens when you go to another part of the US. I recall when I lived in Arkansas, where breakfast must be broken as everybody wanted to fix me some breakfast. Go figure.

So, for example, you go to Puerto Rico and see the "Concha Acústica" and think nothing of it. If you are Argentinian you probably laugh till no end thanks to the meaning they give to the word 'concha'.

I speak Puerto Rican Spanish
Funny, of all the Spanish speaking countries, this is to me the most interesting and they mix English a lot during conversation. If you get this one you can probably understand easily all the central and Caribbean Spanish speaking countries accents.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I am native speaker and I understand all of the countries accents. Some take longer to get used to though. People from Argentina, Chile and Spain probably have the thicker Spanish accents.

I've never heard Chilean Spanish. I hear it's spoken extremely fast. I'm also not a native speaker, but my parents are. They never taught me the language.

The biggest difference between accents I think (besides the voseo and the seseo) is the slang and curse words they use. It's actually kind of funny but also embarrassing when you say something that sounds dirty to them but isn't to you.

I don't remember if you said you had kids or not, but if you do, do your kids speak Spanish? One thing that I spite my parents for is that they refused to teach me any Spanish. They didn't even try despite the fact that my grandparents on both sides would yell at them to no end because of it. Rebellion against their culture, perhaps?

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I do. The oldest is pretty good with it. The other one not so much. This seems to be a common thing with immigrants' kids. The first one gets it better than the rest.

To Lights, so what are you going to do about a second language? Which one will you learn?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
"Speed" to Lights for the great topic... yes, Lights! :eusa_clap:

dknise

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Aug 29, 2012
North Bend, WA
Anyone looking to learn quickly, I highly suggest LiveMocha.com. It's like a free online Rosetta Stone. It's great. :)

S

stranger

Russian is very difficult for English speakers.

Graham Chong

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Apr 29, 2012
And that's because it's extremely hard to learn Chinese :)

Well, grammar wise it is relatively easy, for example there's no tense or gender. (The same goes with my another language Malay, I guess that's why I struggle with using the correct tenses in English sometimes)

Pronunciation is the more difficult part, we are not being picky - sometimes we just can't understand you if you don't get the tones right. Mandarin has 5 tones, and Cantonese is even harder, it's got 9! Having said that, I have some white American friends who can speak really fluent Mandarin, so it's doable!

P/S: My American friend once asked me how do I understand the lyrics in Mandarin/Cantonese songs if the languages are tonal in nature - I just couldn't answer. Still seeking for the answer

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Learn Chinese. I have my 8 year old twins learning it, as well as I am trying to learn it also.
I'd like to eventually get my daughter a Mandarin tutor. She turns 2 today so I'll let her get a better handle on English and Thai and then begin introducing Mandarin.

Graham Chong

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Apr 29, 2012
Its a good idea to learn another language if your on the run from the police and you need an overseas escape route lol

How about Portuguese for Brazil for this specific purpose?

In case you really have to flee the authorities…

I'd like to eventually get my daughter a Mandarin tutor. She turns 2 today so I'll let her get a better handle on English and Thai and then begin introducing Mandarin.

It is feasible. Most of my former schoolmates spoke only their respective Chinese dialects (not mutually intelligible with Mandarin) at home before starting kindergarten/school at the age of 5/7 but turned up alright speaking Mandarin afterwards.

Maybe better examples would be my Malay and Indian former schoolmates. They managed to speak fluent Mandarin despite having no exposure at all to any form of Chinese before school age, with their accents though. The common problem is that they tend to lose the ability to speak fluently if they stop speaking it after finishing school.

A good related blog here if you fancy some form of location independent lifestyle together with your family one day.

http://www.soultravelers3.com/2012/11/chinese-school-fun.html#more

nation

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Oct 2, 2012
Anyone looking to learn quickly, I highly suggest LiveMocha.com. It's like a free online Rosetta Stone. It's great.

Thanks, what is their business model? It's not immediatly clear to me, though I am not too far into the registration/setup process.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.