The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Keep your ego in check

Anything related to matters of the mind

Kenborg

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 30, 2020
Earth
How can one contain his/her ego, without it creeping back into one's psyche? How can we maintain a healthy level of ego in our entrepreneurial journeys?
Are there specific books, videos, techniques, etc. that you use?

I personally find doing martial arts, and hard things, in general, helps, because I am constantly pushing my boundaries (and getting my a$$ kicked). But overcoming these challenges fuels my confidence, which ends up boosting my ego after some level of success...which makes me less likely to listen to people, and seek help from others.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
How can one contain his/her ego, without it creeping back into one's psyche? How can we maintain a healthy level of ego in our entrepreneurial journeys?

I personally find doing martial arts, and hard things, in general, helps, because I am constantly pushing my boundaries (and getting my a$$ kicked). But overcoming these challenges fuels my confidence, which ends up boosting my ego after some level of success...which makes me less likely to listen to people, and seek help from others.
Ponder these thoughts:
The more you learn, the more you know how much you don't know.
There's always someone around who has more and is more successful than you and me.
The older & wiser you get, the wider your point of view.
When you feel down, find your comfort by helping someone else.
Think about the old story about man who felt bad because he had no shoes -- until he saw the man who had no feet.
Star gaze and realize how small we are compared to the universe.
Pride goeth before a fall.
Take care of a tottler who asked "Why" all day long while you're trying to clean up the continual mess they are making with every step.
What goes up, must come down.
Use you mouth and ears in the same ratio as God gave them to you. Only talk to ask open ended questions. Then listen with your heart to really hear the answers.
Self-centered people are really boring. No one wants to keep them around.

Shall I go on? You're just beginning. The world is a big place populated by very interesting people. It not all about you nor all about me. Just remember that you have a long way to go, Babe!

Kenborg

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
May 30, 2020
Earth
Ponder these thoughts:
There's always someone around who has more and is more successful than you and me.
Think about the old story about man who felt bad because he had no shoes -- until he saw the man who had no feet.
Take care of a tottler who asked "Why" all day long while you're trying to clean up the continual mess they are making with every step.
Use you mouth and ears in the same ratio as God gave them to you. Only talk to ask open ended questions. Then listen with your heart to really hear the answers.

Shall I go on? You're just beginning. The world is a big place populated by very interesting people. It not all about you nor all about me. Just remember that you have a long way to go, Babe!
Thanks for the thought-provoking comment. I especially liked, "Use your mouth and ears in the same ratio as God gave them to you." Very true.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ponder these thoughts:

A lot of wisdom in this post.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

What do you mean by healthy and unhealthy levels of ego? Are you talking about confidence vs arrogance? Or maybe about seeing people as peers, betters, or inferiors?

Can you rephrase without using the word ego (as I don't even understand what ego means).

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
I always liked how Jocko says it, very simple.

'Stay humble, or get humbled'

--
Anytime I catch myself thinking 'man, I know what I'm doing!!'

I just try to remind myself:
'This is a journey, not a destination.
I will never ever know as much as I want to know.'

Which is a very humbling thought.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics