The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just launched my first web store!

RealOG

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 20, 2007
Austin, Texas, United States
Thanks Eskil. The Highroller has been around longer than us, but is also an inferior product. I think the owner saw our progress, pending Kickstarter project, and decided to scoop us. He got the press on the eve of our project. At the same time, our home page went down on a DDOS. Not sure if they're related, but it's clear they are playing to win.

Now just need to get my Kickstarter campaign approved. Running into issues, but we'll solve it. Our campaign launches this Sunday. Will keep everyone apprised.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nosferatu

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Mar 7, 2013
Long Island, New York
this looks so cool! :) congrats on getting traction on this. this does indeed look fun. hope you sell a million :) Speed+

PS. i checked out the highroller --- you do infact, have a better looking product. i think you got a winner here.

RealOG

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 20, 2007
Hey Fastlaners,

Wanted to give an update on our campaign. We had a little delay in getting approved by Kickstarter, so we had to push the launch date... to today!

We are funding pretty well out of the start, at least better than I expected.

Urbantrike on Kickstarter

Hoping to keep up the velocity here. If you are interested in participating, please share and tweet about us off the page. If you really like us, back us with $1. It helps us climb the ranks of Kickstarter popular page, which will get us more organic exposure.

I will do my best to keep you all updated on what's going on. Thanks for all your support fastlaners, it's really coming together!

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Wanted to give an update on our campaign. We had a little delay in getting approved by Kickstarter, so we had to push the launch date... to today!

We are funding pretty well out of the start, at least better than I expected.

Urbantrike on Kickstarter

Hoping to keep up the velocity here. If you are interested in participating, please share and tweet about us off the page. If you really like us, back us with $1. It helps us climb the ranks of Kickstarter popular page, which will get us more organic exposure.

I will do my best to keep you all updated on what's going on. Thanks for all your support fastlaners, it's really coming together!

Excellent! Speed+

ZDS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 2, 2008
Remember riding one of these @ 2012 B & P! They are awesome. Backed and Speed!

RealOG

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 20, 2007
Just an update for those interested in our Kickstarter Campaign.

We have funded way better than expected, we are 34k. Only 4k away from our funding goal. Frustrating thing is we have had a bunch of pledges back out - which i am told is expected - but we would have easily funded by now.

Overall, I am very pleased with the outcome and we still have 2 weeks left. Hoping to push further past $38k if possible - we will be using this campaign as a proof point for this business when we look for venture capital next year.

skylizard

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Sep 22, 2011
Just an update for those interested in our Kickstarter Campaign.

We have funded way better than expected, we are 34k. Only 4k away from our funding goal. Frustrating thing is we have had a bunch of pledges back out - which i am told is expected - but we would have easily funded by now.

Overall, I am very pleased with the outcome and we still have 2 weeks left. Hoping to push further past $38k if possible - we will be using this campaign as a proof point for this business when we look for venture capital next year.

That is awesome!

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Very very cool! I've been following your progress and watched the funding climb closer and closer towards your goal. You will reach it in the time left for sure. :)

What was your main methods of promoting the Kickstarter?

DreamPursuit

Say a little, do a lot
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 18, 2010
South Carolina
Great job Mike! You really outdid yourself with the video, it sucks you right in! Then your trikes were featured in magazines and by the Duck Dynasty cast. :notworthy::hl: You are rocking and rolling!

Are you going to move toward having your trikes sold in bike shops and big box retailers?
Speed +++ my friend!!!!

RealOG

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 20, 2007
We funded this weekend, ya'll! Great news, now we turn our focus to stretch goals and addons. What good is a custom big wheel if you don't customize it?

If you get a chance, please check out our campaign, like it and share. If you want to support us, pledge a dollar and help boost our backer number!

DreamPursuit - Selling retail is the plan, but will likely not be bike stores. Our products are expensive vs. regular bikes (bicycles are a VERY competitive market), so we are going to market our products at motorcycle shops and UTV/motocross stores. They are more expensive products and our trikes won't seem so high priced compared to everything else in the store.

Thanks FastLane for all your support!

nitroheadz28

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Aug 10, 2013
San Diego - NYC
Wow! What a great video, excellent idea too- I love it. Great job and glad to see you reaching your goal, I hope this really takes off for you guys!

RealOG

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 20, 2007
We funded! $45,247, which was about 7k more than our target. I think this might be the most successful campaign on Fastlane...

Learned a ton and know what we would do differently next time. A HUGE shout-out to our FL superfans for contributing to the campaign and helping us grow this thing - you guys were key!

Now comes the craziness... organizing the shipments from overseas and our other suppliers, working out shipping, and getting the web presence reset.

Not sure if the rest of this forum truly understands the power of strong, business-minded friends. This forum truly gives you a monster advantage over folks without this type of friendship infrastructure. I'm an apartment guy - have been for 14 years. To make the switch to a wacky, nich, product-based business and to sell over $100k in revenue in less than 9 months... just could not have been done without ya'll.

Thanks for the support! And look for a Kickstarter post mortem at Shark Week/NPR Conference 2014... I mean B&P 2014!

NetNinja

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jun 18, 2013
That was the first thing I thought of when I first saw it. It's an adult Big Wheel! God I loved that thing when I was a kid. Until some kid in the projects stood on the pedals and the front wheel came shooting out the front and i had the handle bars in my hands.
Oh the horror! The horror! I was crushed. I should have turned that anger into becomming a professional boxer.

RealOG

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 20, 2007
You guys should have been at B&P 2014 to get a full wrap up.

The short of it: 2013 was a big year. Cleared $100k in gross trikes sales, set up overseas manufacturer, customized our logo/instructions/branding, got registered with our brand, and did two celebrity trikes and a successful KS campaign.

2014 is off to a rocky start as we had issues getting our shipments in, but we finally got all the KS backers trikes out. We're expanding to retail now. This means we had to change some of our design to make it lighter, simpler to assemble, and lower cost (keystone pricing). We have just signed an MOU with a top 10 online retailer to sell customized trikes for them, and we will be in ~5 other direct-to-consumer ecommerce stores. Shooting for $500k in top line sales if we can get our act together. We are searching for a partner/investor with connections to the retail business right now to help us accelerate our plans and we are revamping the design with our supplier for the next batch.

Likwid is trying to help us get on Shark Tank. He thinks it would be a fun product to demo on the show.

All in all, been a wild ride and it is getting even crazier. 2014 will be a grand year.

S928

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Aug 7, 2007
Fantastic post! Thanks for the inspiration.

RealOG

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 20, 2007
For those of you still following...

We are on track to more than double our business from last year... on frickin adult big wheels. Feels like we really nailed a niche and are catering well. Now we just need to expand. We are moving into retailers as well as some larger corporate deals. If you had asked me two years ago whether I saw this going to a .25 million dollar business, I would have laughed in your face.

We have fixed a lot of our shipping issues and hardened our designs. Responded to feedback from our customers and improved our processes. Getting our first patent done up as we speak. Fortunate to have a good team of folks working the business along with me. And that towel-headed chick on my left is kicking butt! We are getting ready to order a run of 1000 units here soon - sounds like a lot, but still won't break us into the big guys. We need to be doing 1ku/month before we are getting some semblance of respect.

Gotten some good press. Been doing donations for folks in need. Pay it forward and all that...

With Likwid's help, we made it to the top 200 for Shark Tank. I was meeting regularly with the producers, planning out my pitch, where trikes would go, etc. I thought we were in! Got cut four weeks from filming... damn! Good news is we get a pass to the front row for next year so we will just try again. Learned a lot and CANNOT thank Likwid enough for his support - he is one of the most solid guys you'll ever meet.

Anyways, that's the progress on this joke turned 6 figure business.

chrischapman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia
so happy for you bro. if i wasn't travelling soon, I think I would buy one hahaha. i dont know if you ship to australia though. but DAMN this is cool.

GregK

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 10, 2014
subscribed, this is awesome and congrats on the idea and actions taken!!!

Birdie

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 24, 2014
Miami, FL
For those of you still following...

We are on track to more than double our business from last year... on frickin adult big wheels. Feels like we really nailed a niche and are catering well. Now we just need to expand. We are moving into retailers as well as some larger corporate deals. If you had asked me two years ago whether I saw this going to a .25 million dollar business, I would have laughed in your face.

We have fixed a lot of our shipping issues and hardened our designs. Responded to feedback from our customers and improved our processes. Getting our first patent done up as we speak. Fortunate to have a good team of folks working the business along with me. And that towel-headed chick on my left is kicking butt! We are getting ready to order a run of 1000 units here soon - sounds like a lot, but still won't break us into the big guys. We need to be doing 1ku/month before we are getting some semblance of respect.

Gotten some good press. Been doing donations for folks in need. Pay it forward and all that...

With Likwid's help, we made it to the top 200 for Shark Tank. I was meeting regularly with the producers, planning out my pitch, where trikes would go, etc. I thought we were in! Got cut four weeks from filming... damn! Good news is we get a pass to the front row for next year so we will just try again. Learned a lot and CANNOT thank Likwid enough for his support - he is one of the most solid guys you'll ever meet.

Anyways, that's the progress on this joke turned 6 figure business.

Congrats on the awesome success:)

It's so inspiring to read your story and see your progress.

Just one small detail. When I visited your page, I totally understood what it was about, except for the link "stuff". A better title would be "Add-ons" or "accesories" something similar. There are also missing pictures in this section for some of the accesories.

Would be cool to see the customization page... Hope that is coming along.

What I mentioned small detail, but you can always keep improving. Keep on keeping on:)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.