The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Joining the Army to get my shit straight

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
A big thank you to the Fastlane that has given me insight into breaking the capitalist chains and turning them into tools for me to be financially free.

My execution and discipline are underdeveloped, in my own sense. I joined the Army a few days ago mostly for personal reasons also to develop my concentration, willpower, and discipline.

Just something I need to do as my own man, or I'll never be satisfied, I leave for Georgia the 26th

Much love- G​

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Congrats!

Your progress thread was one of the better ones from younger guys in terms of mindset and taking action.

I wish you the best in the army, and am looking forward to your progress threads after you get out disciplined, in shape, and ready to conquer the world.

Best of luck @Spicymemer45

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
11X

Infantry with an Option 40 Contract

Benning ---> Airborne ---> Ranger School ---> Bad Knees
Sounds exciting, yet intimidating....
I'm going to say that a soldier's work is more challenging than an entrepreneur's.

To excel in the army would mean that you CAN kill it in business, should you choose to continue it later on.

Best wishes, and all the best!

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
11X

When you complete all of that, you must change your AV to:

mr_deeds.jpg

I was Army from 95-00. Ft Drum, NY is literally hell frozen over.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC

OlivierMo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 12, 2018
Idaho
A big thank you to the Fastlane that has given me insight into breaking the capitalist chains and turning them into tools for me to be financially free.

My execution and discipline are underdeveloped, in my own sense. I joined the Army a few days ago mostly for personal reasons also to develop my concentration, willpower, and discipline.

Just something I need to do as my own man, or I'll never be satisfied, I leave for Georgia the 26th

Much love- G​
Thanks for your service and sacrifice!!

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
11X

That's some serious commitment right there. I was 11B in the National Guard. Did my basic and AIT in Benning. It will be nice toward the end as the weather will be getting warmer before it gets stupid hot.

Initial processing at the 30th AG is a nightmare. I still have flashbacks and it has been almost 18 years now.

Good luck to you. It's really not that bad. Peanut butter and jelly on pancakes or waffles will be your favorite meal when you can get it.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
There are a lot of potential advantages to being in the military, GI Bill, security clearances, special learning programs, etc. Take advantage of as many as you can. If you like their toys, get as much training as you can with the more expensive ones that civilians will never see, helicopters, planes, trucks, tanks, explosives, etc. It is sad when people go in with zero plans to take advantage of all the programs available. A Fastlane approach would be to look for things you can patent and license to Defense Contractors. I use to know a guy who was in special forces, and was always asking me what was possible with AI stuff, and then was doing something product related that he could not tell me about. Even though you wont earn much cash (not counting enlistment bonuses), you will be surrounded by the most expensive toys in the world.

DavidJLeys

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Feb 15, 2018
Vietnam
There are a lot of potential advantages to being in the military, GI Bill, security clearances, special learning programs, etc. Take advantage of as many as you can. If you like their toys, get as much training as you can with the more expensive ones that civilians will never see, helicopters, planes, trucks, tanks, explosives, etc. It is sad when people go in with zero plans to take advantage of all the programs available. A Fastlane approach would be to look for things you can patent and license to Defense Contractors. I use to know a guy who was in special forces, and was always asking me what was possible with AI stuff, and then was doing something product related that he could not tell me about. Even though you wont earn much cash (not counting enlistment bonuses), you will be surrounded by the most expensive toys in the world.
This is so true. I missed a ton of opportunities when I was in. It didn't really hit me until it was too late. There are a lot of programs to be taken advantage of.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Respect. Please update your progress from time to time and take care of yourself. I'm confident this next stage in your life will set a solid foundation for your future.

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
@Spicymemer45, I wish you well on your new journey in life. I was once in your exact same shoes, and chose another armed services branch. It was all worth it. The next few years will be extremely challenging, but you will reap rewards for the rest of your life. Keep out of trouble, pick your friends wisely, always choose the decent, courageous and righteous path. But most importantly--remember when to duck! Have fun in boot camp, it will suck but you'll look back years later and laugh. Good luck!

JonnyC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
463%
Jan 23, 2014
Canada
Congratulations! Former infantryman from your friendly Northern neighbor, did 4 years.

Joined up for the same reason, and it worked for me. I went in at 19 directionless and angry... came out of that machine at 23 a much calmer, happier person and with more direction than I'd ever had.

I really hope it does the same for you. Remember to just keep going, one step at a time or until the next tree line, next bend in the road.

Good luck :)

C-Jay

Audeamus
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Aug 7, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Sounds exciting, yet intimidating....
I'm going to say that a soldier's work is more challenging than an entrepreneur's.

Depends on your perspective. Personally, I disagree. I'm pretty comfortable with soldier work. Still figuring out this entrepreneur stuff though.

SV25

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Nov 30, 2017
Ohio
Lol you couldn't have joined at a better time!! Things are getting pretty hectic with all this ww3 shit going on. I'm in the army guard right now, and things have been changing pretty rapidly due to all the current threats.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Watching your growth on this forum has been an amazing experience for many of us. I wish you the absolute best.

As Daniel said, take care of yourself and give us an update when you can. Good luck!

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
One of the best decisions I ever made. I learned so much about who I was and didn't want to become.

I wish you the best and hope it works out for you.

Zeke

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Aug 29, 2014
Congrats and good luck on your Journey. @loop101 is correct, there are a lot of pros to being in the military. I'm sure you will take advantage of all of them. I actually retired last year with 10 years of service. I know your depart date is right around the corner but if you have any questions before you leave, don't hesitate to ask.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
@Spicymemer45 Hey mate, good luck! Don't forget you can always still work on some fastlane ideas during your downtime and come back and visit!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Much love- G​
Be safe

Keep your head low

See what you hit

Until we see you again

God bless you and thank you for your service.

Note ::: THIS is how you make an exit. We will see this kid again.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Holy damn how did I miss this thread.

I sure hope you used @Patrick R as a Recruiter to get his numbers up haha

But in all seriousness man, joining the Marine Corps was the best thing I ever did. I wish I’d done it a different way, but that’s another story for another day.

Best advice for bootcamp.

Be loud. As loud as you can be, x 10. You get left alone if you’re loud.

Do everything as fast as possible, don’t slow down.

The clock always wins. No matter how much your DS’s are screwing with you, they have a schedule to stick to, so it’ll end, just grin and bear it.

Nothing is personal at basic. It’s all done for very specific reasons. If your DS is a giant a**hole, it’s not because he hates you, it’s because it’s a proven method to keel you from getting killed.

Lastly, once you get out of basic and hit the.. what does the army call the Fleet? I dunno, regular Army? Once you get out of basic and AIT, you’ll have guys who are lazy, jaded, and just disgruntled. They’ll jokingly call themselves E-4 mafia.

DO NOT be like them. Stay motivated and push yourself to be better.

I expect you to post here on boot leave you got meritorious promotion. And you better pick up E-5 Sgt in 3 years.

Good luck man. Stay motivated. I’m proud of you. Welcome to the family.

S/F Cpl. Sav

B_Mac

Redneck Oligarch
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Apr 10, 2017
Southwest Virginia

Much love- G​
Like you, and others, I joined for the same reasons. Best decision I ever made. From a life quickly going the wrong way to having a direction and the means to make it happen, it was a phenomenal journey.
Concentration, willpower, and discipline. You will have it in spades.

I took advantage of many different programs and opportunities while I was in, as many as I could. I traveled the world on the Army's dime.

If you ever have questions while you are in, I'd be glad to help you find the answer. I may not always know, but I will find someone who does.

Hooah!

C-Jay

Audeamus
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Aug 7, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
The clock always wins. No matter how much your DS’s are screwing with you, they have a schedule to stick to, so it’ll end, just grin and bear it.

Soooo much truth to this. There's never enough time when teaching a course, and smoke sessions are (seriously) the lowest priority 9 times out of 10.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Soooo much truth to this. There's never enough time when teaching a course, and smoke sessions are (seriously) the lowest priority 9 times out of 10.

A lot of guys in my platoon never got that lesson. But if you pay attention during a smoke session, you’ll always see them check their watch.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.