The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Jobs aren't bad.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
If you start a business in the same field your previous job was in the company can sue you. Ive seen Joshua Fluke on youtube explain how his dad lost his home because of en evil corporation suing him for anti compete. He had decades of experience and couldnt just shift his skills elsewhere....
It depends on the state. California has banned non-compete agreements since 2018.

Just because you sign something, doesn't make it legal or enforceable.

Using trade secrets is another thing, but ironically a lot of the trade secrets come out in court when enforcing it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Sadly my current job is skilless and can be done by a monkey, so alot of what you mentioned is crossed off the list. However as a short term means of income, skill expansion, experience etc they are great. Just aslong as they aren't a long term plan. A job will never make you wealthy. Absolutley agree with what you're saying :)

Sandholdt

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Nov 3, 2018
Sadly my current job is skilless and can be done by a monkey, so alot of what you mentioned is crossed off the list. However as a short term means of income, skill expansion, experience etc they are great. Just aslong as they aren't a long term plan. A job will never make you wealthy. Absolutley agree with what you're saying :)

What you need to learn from this: WHY can it be done by a monkey?

Were there put up some written procedures of doing the tasks? Some SOPs.
Which thoughts and processes were made, so YOU could have an easier job? That is what you need to keep in mind for when you're starting your own business later.

Where I work, I usually say that ANYONE can learn this job, but when I started EVERYONE needed to be told what to do, how to do it and when to do it.

Now all of those things are written down, so when we get substitute workers (we use a few every day, so a lot of new workers coming and going) they can get right in to doing the work they're paid to come and do, instead of me having to go through all the explaining and being overly watchful of the tasks being done correctly. Saving my and my employees time, so that we can do the tasks we're meant to do. (Now I'm able to spend more hours doing optimization work, compared to do supervising work).

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Look at most of the successful folks here. They worked at jobs at some point in their lives.

allen0879

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
384%
Sep 21, 2018

ecommercewolf

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jan 8, 2019
Dallas, TX
IMO sales or operations are the only jobs you should have if you are wanting to have your own business.

If you want to be a freelancer then that's different.

Agreed. Sales correlates very nicely transitioning into entrepreneurship and think it's the most important skill to have.

Marcell

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 26, 2019
South Florida
A lot of people seem to think jobs are anti-fastlane. If it's your end goal, then that's probably true. If it's one step in a larger entrepreneurial journey, it may be the best choice.

This is an example of something I ran into from another thread. I thought it would be an interesting discussion:

Yes, but working for others for awhile is sometimes the best option within your longer journey towards entrepreneurship and financial independence. You have to look at a job from a different perspective and not get too comfortable and dependent on that monthly salary.

Some great reasons for taking a job before/while starting your business:
- Get paid to learn and build your skills
- Save up capital to fund your business
- Learn how an industry works
- Learn how a company works(bonus points if it's a startup)
- Learn how to work with people(and deal with company politics)
- Pay your living expenses so you don't starve and stay out of debt.

Think of yourself as a spy. You are trying to learn all you can in a short amount of time so that you can be more successful in your own business venture.

Jobs aren't evil, they're just jobs. It all depends on your perspective and attitude.
I agree with Jobs just being a means to an end if? You have enough self awareness, not lazy, driven and desire to get out of your own way to go beyond depending on a corporation to pay your bills. However, I am excluding high level executives through out corporate America that make millions of dollars and have golden parachute. And of course this may apply to other industries. With that said, lets keep a few things in mind.

-Everyone's journey is different (big picture)
-Everyones self actualizes at different times in life (MJ's Unscripted book will accelerate this)
-some jobs do a very good job of teaching business acumen and selling skills (transferable)
-Execution will be the hardest step in the entire process
-Never stop getting after it!!!!!!!!

Anyways just thoughts, not exactly earth shattering

Afternoons

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
563%
Dec 11, 2019
New York City
A lot of people seem to think jobs are anti-fastlane. If it's your end goal, then that's probably true. If it's one step in a larger entrepreneurial journey, it may be the best choice.

This is an example of something I ran into from another thread. I thought it would be an interesting discussion:

Yes, but working for others for awhile is sometimes the best option within your longer journey towards entrepreneurship and financial independence. You have to look at a job from a different perspective and not get too comfortable and dependent on that monthly salary.

Think of yourself as a spy. You are trying to learn all you can in a short amount of time so that you can be more successful in your own business venture.

Jobs aren't evil, they're just jobs. It all depends on your perspective and attitude.

Great message!

It's been said many times before, but I'm realizing how important it is to look at things in the context of your own life and not someone else's. For many, a job is the best option in the present moment.

I was never satisfied with my jobs but I think that that was never the point. They taught me how to conduct myself professionally, taught me what kind of people I enjoyed working with, what makes organizations successful or not, what makes leaders effective or not etc etc.

Juan Pimentel

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jul 10, 2019
Mesa Arizona

This exactly what im doing sr. I had a business it didn’t work out. I just started a sales job with Bank of America yesterday and im taking notes asking questions and understanding how the department works so i can use later in my business. They will pay me hourly and commission that i will use to get out of debt and save up capital for my next venture. They provide alot of sources to learn and understand economics witch i need to know for a successful business. And im hoping that will this job i can discover a problem and find out how to solve. Im going to be taking inbound calls and sell credit cards so ill be talking to alot of people. I will access to alot if information that if it wasn’t for the job I wouldn’t be able to know. I for sure will discover something. Im not planning on staying there but im grateful that i have this opportunity.

BaiAnrui

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 30, 2019
The Netherlands
So true, after a failed merge I am now working part-time for a company. Of course still an part-time entrepreneur. For now a choice that is part of a larger plan. Last month I bought more shares from my first company, so I hope to be back on track soon

96wells

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 25, 2017
virginia
I agree with you and I think a relevant job can be a great stepping stone to starting your own business.

Here's a perspective for you...

In the financial copywriting niche, a lot of publishers moved to have their own in house team. The reason boils down to freelancers being unreliable and failing to deliver. I keep a communication line with some great people in this space and that's what they tell me.

Now, last year the big fish in this space made around $1.5 billion (?) so it's really worth a thought. After all, they have money and that's what people want. So it could be that in a few years, the big publishers suck up a lot of the smaller publishers, and really make the in-house model the only thing because of their power.

The big publishers have been slowly moving toward this way for a few years now. Since I just started with copywriting around a year or two ago, I can really only tell you that this really is a reality based on some exchanges I have with them. I'm not really a historian or anything, it's just my impression...

Now, if you're a really good and established copywriter this could be different for you. And no one is saying you can't freelance with smaller publishers right now, or freelance with publishers that will benefit greatly from having new copy but don't have an in-house team yet...

Anyways, I wanted to make you aware that having a job may not all be bad. You can always get a job, get the skill, and establish yourself as a freelancer. And in the financial space, my observation is that this will be the way, and there might be fewer beginner financial freelancers overall.

And really, from some experiences, it's probably preferable to start in a job first... freelancing is not fast and it's not super easy if you don't have a mentor that has REALLY done the walk. And I have been trying to suggest that the landscape might even move against if you are just starting.

The good news is that there is still a lot of demand for competent copywriters, and there are a lot of lucrative niches (not just financial)...

You can, of course, use your skill as a copywriter and establish your own business. I know people that do that.

Or you can brand yourself really well and maybe you'll be an exception (branding yourself is like a business, but you're the asset)- you can do this so well that you could potentially make a million a year or more, but it won't be fast and easy. I think I know someone that does that, but he worked his a$$ off for years.

But really if you're just starting off, perhaps the easiest really is to just get a job in this niche, especially in the future. At least in the beginning... Take a leap from your 9-5 to another 9-5 instead of just quitting and being sold on the lifestyle...

I mean, a lot of gurus will probably tell you that you can make 6 figures freelancing or something but... yeah. Maybe you can. But you can also do that if you work for the big boys in-house, and it's a lot easier in my opinion, could be wrong. Another topic I guess. Just don't be sold on the beach lifestyle early on... that's my advice if you want to go into the lucrative financial niche. Take it seriously, job or not.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.