The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

What kind of jobs should i bee looking for i need to find a job now

• should i look for front end jobs

Votes: 8 66.7%
  • should i look for back end jobs

Votes: 4 33.3%

• Total voters

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Over the last few weeks, I've been trying to find a simple job but they all require some form of experience. I manage to find a few jobs for me to do but I just keep getting rejected and I don't know why. I keep trying to find information about each company but its never enough. Even if I have never got a job before I need to find a way to stand out. I don't know too much about retail stores but there has to be a way to stand out. I applied to Walgreens, Macy's, Target, staples, and even tried to go to local shops but they won't take me. I know I don't have a college degree but there has to be something I can do.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Shelton Louis resume.docx
    35.3 KB · Views: 117

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I looked at your resume and it's short. You should be more detail about your skills and how they can be of use to an employer. At this point I'm not really sure what it is your good at.

You should always approach a job search with the idea of how you can help and be useful to others even though it's easy to just think "I need a job".

Or go to Walmart and buy some magic erasers and flip stuff on craigslist.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

edit: Negative comment, thinking out loud. Sorry.

Few things come to mind.

How aggressively are you following up? You're not just dropping off a resume and leaving, are you? Are you making sure someone has read it, and calling to be sure?

It may just a matter of talking to the right person,
The hiring manager directly responsible for hiring you.

Ask if they're there, and talk to them directly.
Make eye-eye contact, THEN leave a resume and contact info.

Nobody stands out if they just leave a resume on someone's desk/inbox.

We have the lowest unemployment rate the country has seen in years.
Just change the approach and keep pushing. Better yet, you can ASK the people who didn't hire you why they didn't and take their feedback.

At the end of the day...If you keep getting rejected and don't know why,
This will require a lot more self-awareness on your part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I wrote job descriptions, reviewed resumes, and conducted interviews in the corporate world. I don't have any job connections now but I can offer some useful advice.

I took a guess at some more information that could go in your resume, and I show a more standard resume format. There is no need for you to have more than one page for your resume.

Your problem is that you are waiting for companies to announce an opening, and then you are competing with everybody else who is applying all at once. Unless you go for a job dealing with phones, or sales, or coding, there is no reason at all to pick you to interview instead of a hundred other people who might have turned in applications the same day.

Get the book "What Color Is Your Parachute?" by Richard Nelson Bolles. Read it. Understand why you should directly approach SMALL companies that interest you. Do the exercises, including seven stories when you were happy and successful. Selling 20 phones a day should be one of those stories. Then continue with his description of how to do informational interviews whether or not there is a published opening, and then go back once you know for sure where you want to work and why they must hire you. If you need help with this you can ask me.

Attachments

• shelton louis resume.pdf
    75.3 KB · Views: 51

Diracdelta

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Over the last few weeks, I've been trying to find a simple job but they all require some form of experience. I manage to find a few jobs for me to do but I just keep getting rejected and I don't know why. I keep trying to find information about each company but its never enough. Even if I have never got a job before I need to find a way to stand out. I don't know too much about retail stores but there has to be a way to stand out. I applied to Walgreens, Macy's, Target, staples, and even tried to go to local shops but they won't take me. I know I don't have a college degree but there has to be something I can do.

Why would a company pay you x$/hr to perform a specific task? Because your labor is worth more to them than the wage they are paying you. With that in mind, all you have to do is convince any business person that you are going to provide them with more VALUE than they are paying you in money.

What really helped me while searching for a job after college was this perspective of value. Tell yourself that no matter what, you're going to communicate each reason why and how you are going to provide value before you leave their business and you'll be off to a great start.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Here are my take aways:

• I opened your resume in Pages so I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue, but there's too much whitespace in your resume.
  • The headings aren't clear. Like you list your schools in almost the same font under "Education," but I can't immediately tell which is the heading.
  • Your skills summary is just a story about you selling phones, that's not really a story.
  • Several spelling mistakes. You should never have these on a resume or CV.
  • After "Skills Summary," you posted a separate section for "Computer Skills" which makes no sense. Why would you need to emphasize computer skills apart from others? And why are your computer skills relevant for retail?
  • Your work history is empty, and employers hate to see that. You don't even list volunteer experience. A hiring manager will think, "what has this guy been doing all his life? Is he useful for anything?"
  • I just realized you listed your past work under "Education." I couldn't find it before, and if I couldn't see it quickly, why would an employer?

I just keep getting rejected and I don't know why.
Truth is, it would be a miracle if you even got a call back with your resume.

If your goal is to get a job, FIRST spend time polishing your resume, and worry about the approach and interviews after.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
Here are my take aways:

• I opened your resume in Pages so I'm not sure if this is a formatting issue, but there's too much whitespace in your resume.
  • The headings aren't clear. Like you list your schools in almost the same font under "Education," but I can't immediately tell which is the heading.
  • Your skills summary is just a story about you selling phones, that's not really a story.
  • Several spelling mistakes. You should never have these on a resume or CV.
  • After "Skills Summary," you posted a separate section for "Computer Skills" which makes no sense. Why would you need to emphasize computer skills apart from others? And why are your computer skills relevant for retail?
  • Your work history is empty, and employers hate to see that. You don't even list volunteer experience. A hiring manager will think, "what has this guy been doing all his life? Is he useful for anything?"
  • I just realized you listed your past work under "Education." I couldn't find it before, and if I couldn't see it quickly, why would an employer?

Truth is, it would be a miracle if you even got a call back with your resume.

If your goal is to get a job, FIRST spend time polishing your resume, and worry about the approach and interviews after.

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I want to fix my resume but I never did volunteer work they never offered it at my high school. In fact I never did any extracurricular activities just school and study no one ever told me that I had to do volunteer work.

Where can I go now I’m tired of trying to get into retail. I just want a job so that I can save money while educating myself

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I can’t believe I’m being punished for focusing on school instead of work and school. For jobs that are easy to do and learn. I thought trying to be sales associate would be ok since I had a job as a sales representative already but now I need other alternatives

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I can’t believe I’m being punished for focusing on school instead of work and school. For jobs that are easy to do and learn. I thought trying to be sales associate would be ok since I had a job as a sales representative already but now I need other alternatives
I looked into the issues and I fixed some of but I have no volunteer work experience so I hope this is enough
I'm wondering why you still live in New York... ?

You could be living in Indiana/Ohio/Kentucky working at McDonald's full time and actually be able to support yourself.
i live with my aunt and uncle

Attachments

• Shelton Louis Resume.docx
    34.7 KB · Views: 19

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
SHELTON, THIS COULD BE A DAY THAT TOTALLY CHANGES THE COURSE OF YOUR LIFE FOREVER, FOR THE GOOD.
I am NOT exaggerating.
Or, a could be a day in which a path towards mediocrity, leading towards failure, is established for a lifetime.
I'm not exaggerating about that, either.

An idea was put inside your mind. No newborn baby has this idea inside their mind within minutes of being born, so a human being put this idea into your mind. Some human beings go their whole lives without ever believing in this idea. Perhaps you put it there yourself. Perhaps somebody else put it there.

Most likely the idea came from other people. These people might have come right out and said exactly what the idea is.

The people involved might have included your aunt and uncle. Perhaps other relatives.

Most likely teachers, administrators, and counselors at your high school. Perhaps friends. Perhaps neighbors. Perhaps ministers.

Perhaps some of your favorite music artists, in public service announcements.

Perhaps there were some books, web sites, and videos with this idea.

They probably all agreed on exactly the same idea.

Perhaps they did not come right out to say it. Perhaps they only implied it. And perhaps you picked up exactly what they hoped you would figure out, from their hints, from their suggestions and implications.

Perhaps nobody else told you anything at all about this idea, but you invented it yourself.

The idea is:
IF you do well enough at high school, playing the role of good student as the script of high school tells you do to,
THEN when you need a job, it will be straightforward, obvious, easy, and fast for you to get a good enough job.

HOWEVER
you have already had a couple of basic jobs, and completed high school, and took another course about web development, AND NOW YOU CAN'T GET A BASIC JOB.
I'm assuming that your uncle might have hired you as janitor as a family favor, but that you actually did do the work of cleaning toilets, vacuuming carpets, taking out the trash, etc.
It's a job I've done a few times myself.
If you didn't actually clean up or stack the chairs and tables, etc., then it wasn't a real job and shouldn't be on your resme.

So, the IF-THEN rule that you expected would describe the way life has to work, will work, must work, definitely always does work for those who strive and follow the rules,

IS BROKEN.

Now there are several possible reasons why.

1. Nobody actually meant to give you this rule. You totally misunderstood, or you made it up yourself in your confusion. I think that's unlikely. I think this IF-THEN rule is EXACTLY what almost everyone in your life so far has insisted that you must believe.
  2. The people who gave you this rule ARE WRONG AND THEY DON'T KNOW THAT THEY ARE WRONG. The blind are leading the blind. Succeeding at high school is actually NOT necessary & sufficient to get a good enough job right away whenever you want one, BUT the people at the high school, family, church, neighborhood etc. all sincerely did believe that's how life works. So sorry about the pain and suffering for you, but they meant well.
  3. The people who gave you this rule ARE WRONG AND THEY LIED TO YOU BY CHOICE. The school administrators got a dollar amount per student per day from the government, they did NOT prepare you to get a job, they knew this might happen to you, and THEY DIDN'T CARE about how much hurt and suffering you'd have from believing in a lie.
  4. The people at Target, Walgreens, Macys etc are ALL WRONG AND MUST BE PUNISHED because the IF-THEN rule actually does work unless there are awful employers who MUST BE PUNISHED for not hiring you. The problem is that you are powerless to punish them.
  5. You are not working hard enough at the complete set of job hunting tools that the school actually DID provide, so that it's all your own damn fault; a thousand resumes failed but resume #1,001 will succeed and then you'll see that the school really was right, and you just have to work harder at life.
THIS FORUM IS BASED ON THE PREMISE THAT REASONS 2 AND 3 ARE THE TRUTH ABOUT LIFE.
MJ WROTE A BOOK ABOUT IT called "Unscripted." You can download the first few chapters for free and then buy the rest. I don't get any money or favors from him if you do this, and I don't lose anything if you don't get or read his book.

The IF-THEN rule and script about life you were given IS ALREADY FAILING YOU.
The question is what to do about that fact.
MJ's answer, and I totally agree with him, is that YOU SHOULD IDENTIFY WHICH PARTS OF THE SCRIPT ARE NOT TRUE, AND STOP LIVING BY THOSE BELIEFS AND RULES EVEN ONE MORE DAY.

Are you courageous enough to find out whether that MIGHT actually be the truth?
Or will you continue to whine, complain, insist on what's due to you, and try to control the employers that you actually can't control, by doing more of what already has failed to work for you?

Let's look at one more part of this from me personally.
I am someone who has relevant paid work experience in software, that gives me excellent insight into giving advice about how to break into a software career.
I HAVE BEEN PAID TO WRITE CODE, AT TAKE-HOME RATES UP TO $54/HOUR, ALMOST CERTAINLY FOR MORE YEARS THAN YOU HAVE BEEN ALIVE ON THIS PLANET.

I offered you FREE mentoring.

In addition, I recommended THE WORLD'S MOST ACCLAIMED AND HIGHLY RATED AND BEST SELLING JOB HUNTING BOOK.
Which was annually updated by its author from when he began his research, before I was born, until he died last year.
Almost every public library in the U.S. has copies of this book you can read FOR FREE.

There are public libraries in New York City. At least, they pretended there was a big building full of books you could go in and use for free, in that cool movie about the ghosts. I always thought that part about the building with the books was true, only the part about the ghosts was made up. Was the building with the books just a fantasy too? They don't have that any more in NYC?

And you have NOT said,
THANK YOU FOR OFFERING ME FREE MENTORING BASED ON YOUR SUCCEEDING AT EXACTLY WHAT I HOPE TO LEARN HOW TO START.

Nor did you say, I GOT THAT BOOK AND READ THE FIRST CHAPTER ALREADY.

Instead, you complained and whined about everybody and everything involved in the situation EXCEPT,
WHAT COULD YOU DO NOW TO LEARN HOW TO MAKE BETTER CHOICES AND ACTIONS?

So, this is a day that will change your life powerfully one way or another.
By whether you take this opportunity to learn, from MJ, from Bolles, from myself, and from many others who are willing to teach THOSE WHO ARE READY TO LEARN.
Or by whether you show that you want to somehow punish the world for misunderstandings that actually, only cause suffering to YOU.

Choose wisely!​

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I don't understand your problem. I've been working since I was 11 years old, and there are ALWAYS jobs. Sometimes those jobs aren't ones that I really want. BUT I can tell you with complete certainty, that in good times or bad, there are always jobs to be done and people willing to pay someone to do them.

Like the other on this site have told you, clean up your resume. Make it look nice. Put out stacks of those new and improved resumes. Get them in the right hands.

You said that no told you to volunteer. OK. I'm telling you right here and now. You can start by volunteering today. Many of those paths lead to jobs, either directly or indirectly. I'm sure there are people who need your help right under your nose.

You can create your own job. Wash windows. Clean up your neighbor's yards. Cut grass. Tutor the kids in your neighborhood. Make web sites for small businesses. The list is endless. Better jobs come to those who already have a job.

Now I have a new flash for you. NO ONE is going to show up on your doorstep to tell you that they have the perfect job for you, the perfect house and the perfect life. How you build your life is totally up to you. It's definitely a personal problem!
www.wjkbusinessbuzz.com

WJS

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
342%
Dec 3, 2017
MY
I read your resume and it's a really awfully written document. No wonder you don't get call backs. If you can't write a proper resume at least use a template or get help writing it. If I'm not mistaken this is not the first time you asked for help about writing a resume/landing a job. Anyway I'll chip in and help, as I think you really needed it. I copied your resume below and list down the changes/additional items you need to put in.

[personal information removed by mod]

Skills Summary
Excellent planning and organizational ability. Able to multitask and prioritize. Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Great attention to detail and good foresight.

these are all generic garbage. No HR personnel would take it seriously, because every single Tom, Dick and Harry writes similar craps like this on their resume. Write SPECIFIC technical or non-technical skills that you have, such as Marketing, Programming, language skills etc

Education
Marketing/ currently in progress
which college? When will you graduate? What about your education before this? High school?

Experience
Eagle international
what company is this? What do they do? Unless the company is recognized worldwide like Microsoft, you should always state it so people will know what industry you are in

Sales representative 2017-2018
Are you still working there? If you are you should put month + 2017 - present

o Organized meetings
What kind of meeting? Internal? External? It seems like you are just putting in the job description of a sales rep.

o Had strong product knowledge
Cite examples – eg. I was trained by a specialist and am able to solve XX technical problem.

o Resolved customer problems
Again, cite examples - eg. Customer signed a 50k contract with me due to my ability to explain the product, resolve their problems blah blah blah. You should also mention how much sales you brought in to the company, or be able to show proof that you did well in your current job

Awards and Acknowledgements
Do you have any? If not remove it

Provide reference, if any. Be prepared to answer the following questions:

1) tell me about yourself (so many people flop when they answer this question, and ruin a great opportunity to create lasting first impressions. PRACTISE, PRACTISE and PRACTISE until you get this right. Focus on the professional side of your life. There are many great examples online on how to answer this question. Look for them)
2) you stated that you began working in 2017, what were you doing before that?
3) why should we hire you?

- companies also like to throw various situational questions to candidates to see their maturity, problem solving skills, ability to articulate etc.

P.s: I think you need to work on your self-esteem issues as well. It will greatly affect your success rate in all areas of your life

Last edited by a moderator:

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
and there are ALWAYS jobs
But NY minimum wage is $15/hr, so you can only get a job if they're confident you're worth more than that to them.

screen-shot-2018-05-23-at-7-51-08-pm-png.19565
That's a bit harsh. The fact is he is a victim, of being told his whole life that school stuff matters, when in fact it doesn't. He has been injured by those pretending to be his friend, and he can't believe it. He's now, correctly, looking towards right minded sources such as this forum, to set himself back on track. He should be applauded for that.

Just spitting "victim mentality!" in his face is pure internet bravado. Frankly, it's being a bit of a dick.

D

Deleted52409

One thing that is also important is cover letters. Cater it to the exact specific job. Don't have one cover letter for every job. Have one specifically worded for the individual company. And you've got to make them "you" focused. As in, what can you do for them.

This is what I've been doing with my recent job interviews and it helped a lot.

Rickchise23

@clickpickRick
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
503%
Mar 25, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ

Get a job in sales... Real Estate, cars, solar, shoes at Nordstrom’s really whatever. Most companies will hire any salesperson who is driven because they don’t pay you until you produce. This is a great place to start and will teach you lessons applicable to any new business you start later while providing a way to make 6 figures if you work your a$$ off in the meantime!

barman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Apr 14, 2018
Get the book "What Color Is Your Parachute?" by Richard Nelson Bolles. Read it. Understand why you should directly approach SMALL companies that interest you. Do the exercises, including seven stories when you were happy and successful. Selling 20 phones a day should be one of those stories. Then continue with his description of how to do informational interviews whether or not there is a published opening, and then go back once you know for sure where you want to work and why they must hire you. If you need help with this you can ask me.

I know this is the wrong forum to be talking about Jay Oh Bee's, but this guy gets it. What Color Is Your Parachute is the book to separate yourself from all of the other suckers out there applying to the same jobs as you.

I bought a copy for someone - she landed a 6 figure job in a few weeks, after being unemployed for a year and a half to the point of almost giving up entirely.

I'm not going to pile on to everyone else in this thread, but your entitlement and desperation reeks. Get your shit together and get your mentality right.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Go to your local Laborers Union hall and sign up as an apprentice. In New York the going rate is over $20 an hour to start. All you need is steel toe boots and jeans. Or go to any union hall and sign up as an apprentice. Quick way to get a job.

Hassassin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 14, 2012
While we're on the subject of job hunting and CVs, I'm trying to escape my current mind-numbing admin job and break into the marketing field.

Not having much luck though, I've attached my CV below:

new Hassan-Uddeen CV

I've made an effort to highlight my skills, experience, and highlight benefit to the employer. Anyone got any feedback? I'm all ears...

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
But NY minimum wage is $15/hr, so you can only get a job if they're confident you're worth more than that to them.

That's a bit harsh. The fact is he is a victim, of being told his whole life that school stuff matters, when in fact it doesn't. He has been injured by those pretending to be his friend, and he can't believe it. He's now, correctly, looking towards right minded sources such as this forum, to set himself back on track. He should be applauded for that.

Just spitting "victim mentality!" in his face is pure internet bravado. Frankly, it's being a bit of a dick.
You are assuming that all "jobs" are payroll type of employment. There are a ton of "side jobs" and gigs where you are either casual or an independent contractor. I like the independent contractor situations. He can create his own job as I said in my post.

School stuff does matter. Applying my education has been the basis of a lot of my success. It's only one tool in my "kit." He's not a victim. He just has an incomplete picture of what is required.
www.wjkbusinessbuzz.com

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
A lot of jobs are acquired through contacts, not resumes. Do you know anyone who knows anyone who is hiring? Are people you know likely to recommend you for a job? Do you live in a way that makes others say "hey, you would be great for x job and so-and-so is hiring"?

Do you hustle? Clean up after yourself? Help others? Are you willing to do anything? Do you scrub toilets at home without being asked?

If you must go the resume route, then do what @Late Bloomer said and get "What Color is your Parachute", hire someone to write a resume, etc. He gave you excellent advice, by the way.

And, you know how I got my first job? I called places and asked if they were hiring. And lo and behold, they were.

Like the song says "hustle is the name of the game".

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
While we're on the subject of job hunting and CVs, I'm trying to escape my current mind-numbing admin job and break into the marketing field.

Not having much luck though, I've attached my CV below

Hi Hassan. Nice CV overall.

You don't mention what city you're in. You don't need your full mailing address. But it would be nice to know where you are located, at least by city.

The only real challenge I see is the third-person summary at the top. I think it can be made simpler and clearer, and more personal. Instead of "personal statement" I would title the section "Work objective." I'd move the word "diligent" to somewhere in your skills list. Potential rewrite:

"I create online content that attracts interest and converts that interest to new customers, sales, and profitability! After a time of successful freelancing, I now desire to join a strong team where I can fulfill a multifaceted marketing role in successful, data-driven campaigns."

That's not perfect language. But it's maybe in a more useful direction than your two paragraph version.

Nice job with specific numbers to quantify your results.

Unless f-bombmarketing is a very well known brand, I would remove it from your work history line. It looks like for freelance pay, you will drop f-bombs online to somehow get attention for your customers. :eek: Unless you want to work with "edgy/out there" clients, it was an unfortunate choice of business example.

Leave out "skyscraper method" unless this is specific jargon that employers are eager to hire.

Formatting in this section is inconsistent with periods after some but not all of the items.

Instead of "ghostwritten" and "lead magnets" I suggest the more general terms, such as "wrote" and "articles and brochures to attract new clients," that will make sense to people who are not marketing experts. (Your resume might first reach someone outside of the marketing department, who would then forward it to marketing. A personnel generalist might think "lead magnets" are something you bought and sold for the Metals company.)

It's not clear to me if at the Metals company you buy as a purchasing agent, sell as a sales representative, or do both as a trader.

In the work experience section, you have inconsistent formatting for the last line. No space between the year 2013 closing parenthesis and 8 GCSE's.

I'm curious why you want a regular day job, rather than more freelance clients?

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Take two days to learn how to write resumes.

Find a template. Fill in the template with your relevant info. Then when you're done, have someone proofread it. You have two obvious misspellings in your current resume (which based on the brevity of your resume is a lot).

Also get rid of the victim mentality.

You want to find a job? Or you want to take a job? Change your mindset.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
You are assuming that all "jobs" are payroll type of employment. There are a ton of "side jobs" and gigs where you are either casual or an independent contractor. I like the independent contractor situations. He can create his own job as I said in my post.
He can, but he has absolutely no training in this, like most school leavers. Everyone's trained just to print out a resume and go begging for a taskmaster.

Side jobs & gigs are an option, but they combine the worst parts of employment and business: constantly trying to scrape together new clients, trying to find a workable niche, build up a reputation, but all for hourly but unstable work.

To clarify, you've worked gigs? Do you have advice for him on how to get gigs based on what he's laid out in his resume?

shelton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Mar 5, 2018
Brooklyn, NY
I listened to everything you told me so far and this is what I could come up with. The job is like a 9-5 job but outside instead of inside. You sell cheap phones to people and then you go home. I have to listen to what is your parachute now but this format should be correct.

Attachments

• Shelton Louis Resume.docx
    34.7 KB · Views: 27

scott.legendre

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Aug 5, 2013
"Sold 20 phones a day" were those $20 phones or $500 phones? 20x500 = 10k in money.

with that, "Sold 20 phones a day" becomes "Generated over $300k in phone sales in my first year on the job". That's much more hire-able.

If you are going through an owner or manager, the numbers matter. if you are going through HR, "positive attitude" and "corporate culture" and "dress code" matter.

Either way, put more effort into it and don't short sell achievements. If you don't care about your resume, then your work performance would be of equal value.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.