The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Nate

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 24, 2007
Utah
Great book. I just finished it, and am now returning to forum after a few years absence. Looks like things have changed, I'll have to take a look around.

Tom Osypian

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 28, 2011
Awesome book. Read it on my subway rides here in NYC and am now going through it a second time. It has confirmed that I'm on the right path in owning my own business and being a producer rather than consumer.

I'm recommending everyone I know to read the book!

Dreamer99

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 26, 2010
Ive Read the millionaire fastlane

Although this is my first post ive been a long-time lurker on the fastlane forums for quite a while. Through reading this book ive gained the courage to execute my ideas, without merely shrugging them off with no action; i highly recommend this book

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
Fantastic read, MJ. Thank you. I finished the book last night and now have plenty to think about. My first love/monogamous relationship is RE but I am absolutely a polygamist-opportunist!

I promised you an iPad review: I only picked up on one error - page 289 - where the first bullet item appears to be broken over two bullets, accidentally.

I also posted a review on my site. Hope you get some clicks. :)

Ironwill

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 1, 2008
I'm actually on my second read through... I read it for the first time when it was just released a few months back, I've just neglected to make a post to that effect until now (better late than never I guess!).

It was WELL worth the wait MJ!

Granted, many of the concepts purveyed therein are not new, but the cohesive manner in which you managed to convey them brought a clarity that allowed me to break through the plateau I had been experiencing for the couple of months prior.

Awesome work! I'm actually thinking of buying the digital copy as well so I can refer back to it wherever I am... Yeah, it's that good! Haha

Thanks MJ!

Caterpanda

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 18, 2009
I read it on the Kindle! Both normally, and text-to-speech while working. =D And I will keep text-to-speeching it while working too, for the motivation!

Mark Ramsey

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Mar 23, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Fantastic book. Admittedly am a few pages away from the end, but have loved everything so far. Have already put into play my millionaire ideas. Very inspiring stuff - thanks MJ :)

Dale

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 15, 2010
Greenville, SC.
I just finished reading this book after getting it 2 days ago. It's going to take a while for me to absorb it all, but I definitely will incorporate all that Fastlane wisdom into my thinking and choices. Thank you for sharing your process with me so that I have the tools to succeed! And I'm still young too, barely old enough to buy Vodka in a colorful bottle. I just might change my name to Chuma. Now all I need is to build my contraption. Thanks again, Mr. DeMarco.

MDS

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 2, 2011
Hi,

Since I was very young I always wanted to do my own stuff, I always rejected job proposals, I was always trying to put businesses together, video shops, security services, computer repair businesses, a pus/seduction school all of them failed, either by myself or by my 'lovely' business partners, but the lessons that I got from each venture gave me valuable lessons to continue towards my goal...

After reading The Fast Lane book I was able to see a missing part of the puzzle and let me tell you a week ago I got an idea a put the idea together in 2 days and after that I've made in 7 days what I do in maybe in a month or two...plus now I'm creating a business and more ideas are flowing; Thank you! Great book, great reading, great advice!

MDS

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
But it took me three years of reading, researching, searching, poring through biographies of successful people, and on and on, in order to develop that mindset and understand how the most successful people think and act.

And MJ's book is the most concise, intelligent, authentic, genuine one-stop resource center for that "re-programming" I've ever encountered.

I hear a lot of folks say this ... I always knew this, but never saw it put to words!

I love the book so far!

Great book.

Awesome book. Read it on my subway rides here in NYC and am now going through it a second time. It has confirmed that I'm on the right path in owning my own business and being a producer rather than consumer.

Through reading this book ive gained the courage to execute my ideas, without merely shrugging them off with no action; i highly recommend this book

Thanks!! :tiphat:

Fantastic read, MJ. Thank you.

Thank you for taking time to write a review at your blog ... means a lot!

I'm actually on my second read through... I read it for the first time when it was just released a few months back, I've just neglected to make a post to that effect until now (better late than never I guess!).

It was WELL worth the wait MJ!

Fantastic book.

Thanks!

I just might change my name to Chuma.

My favorite story in the whole book ... and yes, I made it up!

After reading The Fast Lane book I was able to see a missing part of the puzzle and let me tell you a week ago I got an idea a put the idea together in 2 days and after that I've made in 7 days what I do in maybe in a month or two...plus now I'm creating a business and more ideas are flowing; Than

Awesome!!

I read the crap out of it.......twice in less than a week.

Awesome!! X 2

Icons added!

Inphinity

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 20, 2007
Auckland, NZ
I'm sorry, I seem to recall posting early in the thread that I would write up a review after finishing the book, and I haven't done it. I simply haven't had time yet, but I will get around to it, honest! It was a fantastic read, and although there were a few bits that I didn't entirely agree with (more with the way it was written/worded than the concepts) it was certainly fantastic.

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
Bought the book on Amazon about a week ago and just finished it the other day. Napoleon Hill finally has some REAL competition. ;)

Favorite concepts:

1. Don't be picky about your road to wealth. It's about what the MARKET wants, not about you and your personal desires (that no one *honestly* cares about). The important thing is the end goal, which is freedom... not how you get there. Creating your fortune by "doing what you love" is an extremely rare situation - and very shitty, popular advice. You can do what you love for the rest of your life (24x7... not just on weekends) when you're financially free. Pay your dues and STFU.

2. The accumulation of riches/wealth/power/success is a process, not an event. I've read a lot of books, and the only two that really stress this principle are The 50th Law by Robert Greene and 50 Cent, and of course, our very own Millionaire Fastlane by MJ. Just the fact that this is openly revealed here truly separates this book from the rest.

3. Slowlane living is retarded to say the least. I won't even get into the Sidewalk lifestyle. This book does an excellent job at contrasting exactly how shitty these "options" are. 50 years at the office so you can retire at age 75? Sorry, but assuming you actually get a good job that you can move up in (bad economical times), and assuming that you don't laid off (last one in, first one out), and assuming the stock market doesn't completely rape your retirement funds (2008 anyone?), and assuming you don't have or acquire serious health issues or die prematurely (anything can happen), MAYBE you can retire when you're on death's door... just maybe. Oh, and you still can't fit your wheelchair in the back of your Lambo! Hahahaha! I love the humor!

All in all, great book MJ. It was $20 very well spent.

emilybon

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Apr 5, 2011
Orlando, FL
I read the book and OMG was all I could think while reading. I am from a poor family and wanted to be a rich business woman when I grew up. I had plans and knew exactly how I was going to do it. However, as I grew up, those plans somehow changed.

I had a business that was making lots of money but I didn't follow the financial plans I had when I was little. My main plan when I was little (yes, at the age of 8 I thought this up all on my own) I would make money from my business and invest it and live off of the interest. I actually forgot about this plan and instead invested MY money into the business on credit at the advice of the bankers. When I told my brother, he reminded me about my original plan from when I was little. He could not believe that I got into debt. The debt interest took all of my profits.

My business also became more of a J.O.B. and as much as I tried to turn it into a passive business, I couldn't. I closed the business and then looked back at my mistakes of the type of business I chose. I put together a list of criteria a passive successful business needed, however, I still wasn't sure.

Then, I read your book, and like I first said, "OMG". It was confirming everything I was already thinking but didn't know how to put my thoughts together. It was just what I needed at a time that I needed it. I just wish it was around much sooner (years sooner).

Why, why didn't you write this book when I was 8 years old!!! I have tried to read all kinds of books to find the answers that I needed to organize and confirm my thoughts, and show me how to put it into reality, but I never found it until now.

Now, I would give you 5 stars on Amazon, but I can't because you are missing something. Sorry for being so critical. But, you missed something that I also can't find answers to.

Because of my past experience, I really have no trust in "financial experts". If they were experts, they would be rich but they are not. One of my problems, was where to invest my money. Yes, I read Suzi's book and RK and didn't find the right answers there either. I also did research on all kinds of stocks, but that wasn't what I was looking for either. I found some information in your book but you said to learn and research. I don't know where to find the "right" information. You could have at least guided us in the right direction of where to find dependable information.

Can you provide information on where to learn more about financial investments?

jtjavins

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 5, 2011
Hi all,

Finished the book a couple days ago and registered for this forum yesterday. Great to be here!

Jennifer

panther2k

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 6, 2011
Read the book... thought it was very helpful in "reframing" my mindset from finance monkey to a more entrepreneurial outlook.

TMac

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Mar 3, 2011
western suburbs of Chicago
I found out about "The Millionaire Fastlane " when I was browsing forums on MLM companies. Someone who had read the book posted that if you want to be a millionaire you need to OWN the MLM not join one. They said anyone thinking of joining an MLM to "get rich" must read the book. So i bought it on Kindle 30 seconds later.

I am so happy I choose the book over the MLM. I have had an idea to take my Real estate investing business to a web based foreclosure site. MJ describes what can be fastlane ideas and how to move from a Slowlane state of mind to a fastlane state of mind.

Overall, anyone who has the passion to move from Slowlane thinking to fastlane doing, needs to read this book.

Tracy

Nicolas43

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Feb 27, 2010
Canada
Hi MJ,

Just read the book a second time to get a better grasp of the concepts. Definetly agree an internet based business fits the all aspects of the fastlane criteria. I've come up with some pretty good ideas that satisfy the CENTS requirements. Problem is I'm a banker, not a programmer. I consider myself very good at computers (using apps, etc) but no programming knowledge. So I have 3 choices: 1) bury myself in those programming books that are as thick as phone books and learn to create / manage my own website (very time consuming, there's so much to learn about rankings, web traffic, and all those tricks) or 2) pay someone to create / maintain my websites to my specifications (expensive and may not be reliable), or 3) partner with a web developer and share synergies (I'm good with finance/ marketing / customer service). I figure I'd also learn how things work this way.

I'm not at all afraid of hard work, but I'm also realistic. Web sites nowadays are very professional and are created/ maintained by professional web developpers, not some newbie html programmer.

What do you think, care to lend your thoughts/ comments on this one. I'm pretty sure other of your loyal readers have thought about the same dilema.

Thanks MJ, looking forward to hearing from you!

Nicolas

Last edited by a moderator:

ciajim

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Apr 8, 2011
South Florida
Read it on Kindle and got a bit out of it. Maybe a bit goofy here and there but you can mine some nuggets.

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
Hi MJ,

Just read the book a second time to get a better grasp of the concepts. Definetly agree an internet based business fits the all aspects of the fastlane criteria. I've come up with some pretty good ideas that satisfy the CENTS requirements. Problem is I'm a banker, not a programmer. I consider myself very good at computers (using apps, etc) but no programming knowledge. So I have 3 choices: 1) bury myself in those programming books that are as thick as phone books and learn to create / manage my own website (very time consuming, there's so much to learn about rankings, web traffic, and all those tricks) or 2) pay someone to create / maintain my websites to my specifications (expensive and may not be reliable), or 3) partner with a web developer and share synergies (I'm good with finance/ marketing / customer service). I figure I'd also learn how things work this way.

I'm not at all afraid of hard work, but I'm also realistic. Web sites nowadays are very professional and are created/ maintained by professional web developpers, not some newbie html programmer.

What do you think, care to lend your thoughts/ comments on this one. I'm pretty sure other of your loyal readers have thought about the same dilema.

Nicolas

Hey Nicolas,

You can to go ScriptLance.com Custom Freelance Programming. Outsource web projects to programmers and designers. or Elance | Outsource to freelance professionals, experts, and consultants - Get work done on Elance and have the plethora of programmers available on those sites bid on your job. Tell them (in detail) what you need and go with the most reputable provider that also charges a reasonable prices (relative to the others). Also make sure they include an easy-to-use admin control panel so you can handle management of the project yourself once it is finished. :)

No need to drown yourself in programming books or pay someone a salary to manage this for you. A startup fee with some time, sweat, and tears on your part should be enough. Best of luck.

Mikey McBee

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 8, 2011
I just finished reading The Millionaire Fastlane today. I would have finished days ago, except I was taking so many notes, and re-reading chapters, and jotting down ideas born of the information and inspiration I found in its pages. I can honestly say that no other "business" book has ever touched and inspired me in such a profound way!

I first became aware of The Millionaire Fastlane after hearing MJ's interview with Andrew Warner on Mixergy, followed by his interview with Maren Kate on Escaping the 9 to 5. (I still have the interview with Pat Flynn of Smart Passive Income on my iPod, next in the que!)

As another forum member posted earlier, I too was impressed by the number of 5-star reviews for the book at Amazon. Of course, I've learned to take such things with a grain of salt (these things can certainly be manipulated), but in this case I've found the reviews to be completely justified.

While I have swallowed the Slowlane pablum for far too many years - and have the Slowlane results to prove it - I had finally come to realize that SOMETHING had to change, and the first thing that had to change was ME. And while in the process of changing, I believe that coming across those interviews and this book is truly a case of divine synchronicity. Right place, right time, right message.

Thank you for that, MJ!

DrummerDad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Apr 8, 2011
Im still reading it, but I love it. I get tired of buying books from people who beat around the bush about everything. Or they mislead you into thinking this next book will give you all the secrets... But you have to read the first four.

Screw that. I love the "pull no punches" way this book has taken. Tell it like it is.

Plus, the Lamborghini story is almost my story to a T. I had one poster as a teenager, the white Lamborghini Countach, and I swore I would have one. I havent got it yet, but Im working on it.

Qigong15

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Feb 11, 2011
Devon
Hi MJ,

Nicolas

Nicholas,

I've been the learning html, CSS, route and you know what? There's a much easier way. Get a domain, put wordpress on it. Get yourself a theme for it, something like Optimize Press | Pro Internet Marketing Tools get a Paypal account, Aweber and you're good to go.

You're a smart guy, you'll pick it all up in a week or two. Plus wordpress, optimizepress, paypal, Aweber have great forums, guides etc so you can pick up the essentials and hit the road running.

As you gain in experience you can get more professional tools, merchant accounts, technical bells and whistles, but with the tools I've mentioned the 'hurdle' to entry isn't as high as you might think. SHHSSH! Just don't tell anyone okay =)

Good luck

Marcus

BerlinGirl

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 6, 2011
MJ
Read the book and that's how I found you online. Loved the book, great job digging deep on ideas and creating a logical flow for us to follow. You identified truths I felt to be true but could not articulate previously. Thanks.

sjnative

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 9, 2011
San Jose, CA
I'm almost finished reading the book. Lots of commonsense advice and a great wake-up call for people to get off their butts and do something to improve their lives, rather than continuing to just think about it.

D

DeletedUser2

Got it on the Kindle ipad ver. loved it.
barely got through the slowlane part, and went out and recommended it to 8 people and bought 2 more for friends.

once every 10 yrs a book grabs me this way. and I share (shove it in their faces) it with every one I know

D

DeletedUser2

I totally agree with Marcus, Optimize Press, is great, so is landing page robot. both work. and are easy.

even just a wp site. forget the coding. a friend has a UGLY page doing very well for him. its more about the message, and the market, and the conversation avail. you can clean it up and make it look pretty later. just get it done.

less than 20 bucks to start, and 1 hr to get a wp install up (those take 1 min) and working, by just going trough the basics. lots of free vids on youtube on wordpress. simple, fast. all our sites use Wordpress.

and forget about partnering with a webdevloper. until you really need one.
and even then, they are very very cheap.

The Intrepid

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Apr 9, 2011
I got the book yesterday around noon and finished it around 1am this morning...

It was interesting to read as it summarily quantified the last six years of my life.

I'm an econ major

• Lived in the slowlane while starting a lead gen biz (mortgage leads)
  • Made money hand over fist, ended up using that money to rent a 3,000 sq ft house in Palm Beach (which is a lot for a 20 year old with a girl friend that never worked).
  • I never reinvested all of the net profits back into the biz (I assumed things will just go up).
  • Biz slowed down, then I was over my head in bills.
  • Moved to a smaller condo inland.
  • Took up FOREX & Professional Poker.
  • Made quick money (spent it as fast as I made it)
  • Played in bigger and bigger games (2/5 NLHE cash games daily, 500 MTT in casinos on the weekend... I was looking for that big winning EVENT)
  • Lost it...
  • Moved across the country to start over.
  • Started consulting on landing page optimization to finance companies

[Merged into the slowlane]

• Was offered a job by a client.
  • Accepted the job, they flew me back down to Florida and stood me up at the airport, so I was now homeless in the slowlane.
  • I started freelance web designing for mid-sized finance companies.
  • Ended up getting an office and hiring friends who used to sell for clients. Made some money... Bought a 400 HP sports car...
  • Got rid of the office since the sales guys never worked from there and clients never came out to us.
  • Came to discover that the business has a few flaws from helping me ever make the money I've wanted since I was a kid. Web design lacks magnitude & scale.
  • Decided to flip that over to selling SEO... Same thing, the problem is the barrier of entry is bullshiz. We were making money, but the market is shrinking as everyone is becoming DIYers.
  • Then it hit me: You made a few clients nearly hundred K with SEO, why not just become a competitor and go absolutely crazy with your marketing...
  • Sold the expensive monthly payments aka sports car, moved south to live near the beach where I don't need a car and seemingly been reinvesting about 70% of everything I've been making.
  • So, I've been working on the licensing and structuring for past five months and I closed down the SEO biz on March 1st.

[changing lanes into the fastlane]

The new business has magnitude, scalability, and a fairly high barrier of entry. I've already been generating leads for the biz and just giving them to old clients until I'm ready to open up shop. Which I'll be doing in the next 30 days.

Sometimes you have to fail at something to learn from it, mine is money management.

Cheers

BTW: MJ, I had the exact same type of "What am I doing with my life?" Moment in Chicago. Except I was walking in a blizzard from Chinatown to the Roosevelt train station.

I took a detour and ended up walking into the middle of former Miegs Field when it hit me, "I hate where my life has gone, this isn't what I planned on." I was a salesman for TCF Bank earlier that day. The next day I walked into work and quit my job instead of signing into the system.

Haven't been employed since I was 18 years old that day: January 12, 2006.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.