The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
MJ, time to update the icons and add them to those of us that finish it! (I want my badge as late Christmas present, please)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

John Rogers

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Dec 29, 2010
Washington State, USA
Thanks to someone mentioning the book over at the Warrior Forum, I nabbed the electronic version for my nook, and finished it in about a week. I think I'll get a bound version for my second read.

I don't hang out in forums much anymore (I was a mod at the Warrior Forum for several years), and am thankful I just happened to spot the thread that recommended MJ's book. I've read quite a few business books, and The Millionaire Fastlane is probably the best in terms of providing excellent information while keeping the concepts and language at a level that doesn't alienate the average reader. (Think and Grow Rich is epic, but man that is a dense read.)

Anyway, I read the book, I enjoyed it, I learned from it, and I look forward to poking around the forum.

John

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sorry guys I'm behind on this, I will get to it soon.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks everyone for the great comments, anyone who's indicated they've read and finished the book has had their icon added.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Thx!
Mine looks pretty cool!

2 Shoes

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Dec 12, 2010
Well, I just turned the last page. Then, I immediately bookmarked some of the chapters I thought impacted me the most. Now, I'm going to read through those few chapters again, and make a commitment to start putting the Fastlane methods to use.

Of all the money/mindset/etc books, I've read, it definitely had the most paradigm shifts for me as far as thinking about wealth and prosperity. While, I'm not a fast car guy, I was picturing the trips around the world, and freedom I could have one I decide to sit down and commit to a monogamous relationship with my entrepreneurial spirit.

Thanks, MJ. I'll try to get a review up on Amazon soon, and if there is anything else you need promotional-wise, let me know.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks, MJ. I'll try to get a review up on Amazon soon, and if there is anything else you need promotional-wise, let me know.

Thanks, glad you enjoyed the book -- word of mouth is best advertising there is, so much appreciated.

alainn

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Sep 6, 2010
I'm a big fan of your work. I'll put up a 5 star review too.

buckmajor

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Apr 28, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
I will read it over again but this is what I have learned:
1. Be in Control
2. Evaluating and making crucial choices.
3. Life University (TIME)
4. The Commandment of CENTS
5. The whole book in my account

Overall, this is one of my favorite book 11/10 by far. I want to be the first one to read the book 5 times, so I can own a mansion and hopefully empire lol.

MJ, I find this hilarious what you said about your friend:
"He continually repeats the cycle: Climb aboard some hot opportunity, run it dry, and move to the next. Last, I checked, he isn't rich, nor is he retired. He's not stuck in a rat race, but a rabbit race from one carrot to the next"
lol...rabbit race

Thanks again MJ.

Last edited by a moderator:

knot22

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 12, 2009
rural Wisconsin
I got some new concepts out of the book - thank-you for those. I plan to re-read and make some notes on where to find them in the book. For the second edition, adding an index at the end would be quite helpful.

NoMoneyDown

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Aug 28, 2007
Round Rock, TX
After getting it as a present to both my wife and myself (I know, cheesy), I finally finished it last night. I have to say I was really blown away by a lot of the points MJ makes distinguishing between fastlane and slowlane. I was always of the mindset that what I was doing investing in SFR's (single family residential properties) was a fast path to wealth, but I can see now that is not the case (at least, not with the approach I'm taking). I've always had several side projects I've never spent time on as I was always after the RE gold mine to wealth. I think I'll rethink my priorities a bit more now.

BTW, the book that first gave me that wake-up slap to the face was Kiyosaki's, "Retire Young, Retire Rich". I still think it's a good book, but much of what is in that book is probably just in a chapter or two of MJ's book.

Thanks MJ. Wonderful read.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I finished the book yesterday and would like to give as objective review as possible.

I have been on this forum since its founding and read many great things MJ has had to say. That said when I asked for the book for Christmas, I did not have extremely high hopes on its content. This is no slam to MJ or the forum. I have read dozens of entrepreneur, self help, motivational, business books this year alone. I have spent countless conversations with many of the true Fastlane folks on this forum, at two B&P's, and in other face to face interactions. I simply did not expect to many new concepts. Sure I hoped for a few tidbits here and there like all the books I have read. What I got simply knocked me clean out of my socks.

After just reading the intro alone, I knew this book would not hold back any punches and give me the dirt in its raw form. Much appreciated from this ol sea dog. The next thing that grabbed my attention was the intellectual writing style that came along with the open honesty(some call it abrasiveness). I was pleased to read something that didn't sound like it came from a person who's IQ rivals room temperature.

The sidewalk/slowlane intro was a good slap in the face. It put words to something I think we all have felt for some time. Certainly a new way to look at what we are doing that simply aint cutting it.

The fastlane concepts were certainly a complete learning experience for me. I can't even begin to explain the light that has been shed on the subject for me. We are all constantly learning, growing and evolving our idea. I am no different. My thought process has changed dramatically in the last three years. Yet I realize now how much I have plateaued with my wealth creation and business understanding. The final half of the book gave me the climbing gear I need to move on. To that, I want to thank you MJ. You certainly have one hell of a book on your hands.

Now to be fair, I will say I found one con repeated throughout the book. On several chapters I felt like the book repeated itself. Points were, made, remade and made again. While this can be a good thing, I felt like several chapters could have been cut thin a bit. In honesty I imagine the book could be trimmed by several dozen pages while still hitting home the points.

Not to leave on a sour note let me add my final point. Most books in this same genre are very basic. They have some quality ideas that should be used by all folks, but they are very 101. MJ's book is more like wealth 301. It takes theories taught in 101 and shoots several holes into each concept. The book then explores the new way to use those basic solid concepts with new (new to us) concepts. It then teaches you how to grow those new ideas. Why only wealth 301? Because 401 is reserved for your major. The concepts you must learn in your new field of business that will take the ideas learned in 301 and morph you into a graduate of wealth in your chosen field.

Brootal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jun 30, 2009
Virginia
Got the book through iBooks! great read!

In particular I liked the chapter on spotting open roads. This has always been a HUGE struggle for me but I am doing my best to open my eyes and ears to the signs.

Thanks MJ

Ready2bfamous

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
4%
Jul 4, 2010
PCB, Florida
One of the things I really liked about the book is that it added that inspiration that I can and will get out of my rut to explore the unlimited resources I have in my mind. To break the barriers of my mind and my heart. Very inspiring and I appreciate greatly being part of this community and reading the book.

Hans P Jeschke

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 9, 2011
This is probably the best book on the subject of money, business and wealth that I've read!

It is highly recommended. You'll learn things that are not taught elsewhere. After reading the book the only thing required for you is to take action and start to get moving on the fastlane.

HP

Xericx

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jul 21, 2008
I read the book. It was a good read, one that if I get off the "road", I'll be sure to re-read again. Thanks MJ.

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 2, 2011
Enjoyed the book so very much. A few things I had already come to the conclusion were the way forward - nice to have it reinforced and has made me put more time into them.

I am definitely going to take even more action and then re-read regularly.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Icons added!

I finished the book yesterday and would like to give as objective review as possible.

I have been on this forum since its founding and read many great things MJ has had to say. That said when I asked for the book for Christmas, I did not have extremely high hopes on its content. This is no slam to MJ or the forum. I have read dozens of entrepreneur, self help, motivational, business books this year alone. I have spent countless conversations with many of the true Fastlane folks on this forum, at two B&P's, and in other face to face interactions. I simply did not expect to many new concepts. Sure I hoped for a few tidbits here and there like all the books I have read. What I got simply knocked me clean out of my socks.

After just reading the intro alone, I knew this book would not hold back any punches and give me the dirt in its raw form. Much appreciated from this ol sea dog. The next thing that grabbed my attention was the intellectual writing style that came along with the open honesty(some call it abrasiveness). I was pleased to read something that didn't sound like it came from a person who's IQ rivals room temperature.

The sidewalk/slowlane intro was a good slap in the face. It put words to something I think we all have felt for some time. Certainly a new way to look at what we are doing that simply aint cutting it.

The fastlane concepts were certainly a complete learning experience for me. I can't even begin to explain the light that has been shed on the subject for me. We are all constantly learning, growing and evolving our idea. I am no different. My thought process has changed dramatically in the last three years. Yet I realize now how much I have plateaued with my wealth creation and business understanding. The final half of the book gave me the climbing gear I need to move on. To that, I want to thank you MJ. You certainly have one hell of a book on your hands.

Now to be fair, I will say I found one con repeated throughout the book. On several chapters I felt like the book repeated itself. Points were, made, remade and made again. While this can be a good thing, I felt like several chapters could have been cut thin a bit. In honesty I imagine the book could be trimmed by several dozen pages while still hitting home the points.

Not to leave on a sour note let me add my final point. Most books in this same genre are very basic. They have some quality ideas that should be used by all folks, but they are very 101. MJ's book is more like wealth 301. It takes theories taught in 101 and shoots several holes into each concept. The book then explores the new way to use those basic solid concepts with new (new to us) concepts. It then teaches you how to grow those new ideas. Why only wealth 301? Because 401 is reserved for your major. The concepts you must learn in your new field of business that will take the ideas learned in 301 and morph you into a graduate of wealth in your chosen field.

Thanks for the review Bilge much appreciated ... and as for your "con" -- I actually agree with you! If/When there is a 2nd edition, I agree that I need to do a little more cutting to remove some redundancy/repetition.

Here is the latest review of the book from someone on Amazon (don't know who the reviewer is) which I really liked ... thank you sir (if you are on this forum!)

Via Amazon Review said:
My cynical nature is rarely disappointed. And I was prepared for this book to be more self-published non-sense. I was wrong. This book is quite good - and I was pleasantly surprised. Think of it as similar to the 'Rich-Dad' series in tone, but with all the very best stuff there in spades - and with all the filler gone. The author is both an excellent writer (again, rare) and has a knack not only for telling it like it is, but for expressing himself with analytic accuracy and striking clarity. Essentially the book helps you re-think all you thought you knew about wealth creation. It's neither a how-to-guide (i.e., buy real estate) or the 'you can do it' feel-good treatise (a la Tony Robbins). Rather, it's critical thinking at its best. He works to debunk a number of wealth fantasies sold to the masses. In many ways, it's not althogether new, but it has rarely been delivered all in one package with such clarity and panache! I'm sure I could take a few critical stabs at it, but one fact remains: it's far superior to most out there in it's genre.

John Rogers

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Dec 29, 2010
Washington State, USA
I just received my bound copy via priority mail. Thanks MJ for the unexpected shipping upgrade. You're a class act!

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Damn, wish I would have written that amazon review. Pretty much nailed it on the head.

Tom

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 11, 2011
Found out about the book in the War Room (warriors forum) and bought Kindle edition late Sunday night. Started reading the book and couldn't put it down (turn it off?), lots of great and enlightening information. Finished the book yesterday and my head is still spinning with the information it disclosed and ideas that are forming after reading it.

This is one of very few (less than 10) books I started reading and couldn't put down. MJ has really produced and excellent book and one that I'm sure I will refer to often. I'm even thinking of sending copies to my kids.

I've already done my 40+ years in the Slowlane and MJ is dead right, that is a losing proposition. Even if you can put aside 10% of every paycheck (I found it impossible with the everyday expenses and struggles of raising a family) you will never end up rich. There are just to many uncontrollable factors working against you. Sure a small handful of Slowlaners get lucky and beat the system just as MJ says but the majority of Slowlaners will end up with very little to show for years of miserly living.

Great job MJ; thanks!

Tom

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
I read it!

Ordered and read it on my Kindle!

I liked the focus on paradigm shifting, but also with more of a framework than Rich Dad, which also had a paradigm shifting focus.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.