The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I've had enough

A post of a ranting nature...

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
Honestly, I remember the first time i splurged on headphones. They were like $70. One of the best purchases I ever made in my life. Researched for a while and picked out a set. The music sounded amazing.
That's great but how long did it take before you had to buy new ones? Because that's my issue with earbuds atm, I want to buy once and not make another purchase in years.

Can find a great pair of fake airpods for $35 they are not replicas claiming to be airpods but the design is a complete rip off however they perform very well and are unlikely to break. The main issue with earphones is the flimsy wire that breaks inside over time.
If I had a choice between earbuds that last years vs airpods I'd choose the former anyday, I'm just used to the wire.

If I fixed that problem, would you buy that over air pods?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I think this is the story.... they were originally called Quality Tips by the inventor. We just call them Q-Tips because apparently Americans can never leave a longer word alone without shortening it.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
That's great but how long did it take before you had to buy new ones? Because that's my issue with earbuds atm, I want to buy once and not make another purchase in years.

If I had a choice between earbuds that last years vs airpods I'd choose the former anyday, I'm just used to the wire.

Oh I’m sorry... i misread your post.. i thought you were asking how long before they arrived LOL

I had them for over a year and a half before I lost them. I’ve purchased headphones they recommended many times, and I’ve never had a pair break. Actually wait ONE pair I broke and I was so upset. I closed my car door and they were dangling out the door dragging on the ground for like 30 miles. When I got home there was basically nothing left of them except the shell LOL... Can’t really knock the manufacturer for that though. I lose them long or do something dumb before they break other own LOL. All the ones I’ve gotten were really built solid.

Like the wire on a lot of them aren’t that cheap rubber... it’s like a nice woven material around them.

18eaa827922d826c224c015ccbb16e2d.jpg

But it depends on which ones you get... they’re all different.

Chinobey

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 19, 2017
England

While it is a problem that was frustrating to me in the past I have since purchased wireless earphones and headphones as my phone no longer has the headphone slot so while it is a problem many have i think most people will be moving to wireless in the near future.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
I'm tired of having to buy new earbuds almost every month when one stops working, I'm 100% sure these companies do it on purpose to make you keep buying new ones, even big companies are doing it.

f*cking scammers.

It's time I got to the bottom of this, I'm going to create earbuds that don't malfunction for atleast five years, calling it now.

I call these "headphones" I spent £1 on a nice pair lasted longer than the shop did

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
My Galaxy S9 came with AKG headphones. They're the best I've ever owned. My advice, start there.

Also, include the stupid adapter too for iPhone.

I also own the $80 Jabra Bluetooth headphones... They don't sound as good, but the wireless is nice when I charge them. I actually use them on my jet ski with my phone safely in a drybox.

Last edited:

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Since they are usually the mini stereo ports, could it be a phone case or something that just pushes them out so that only one channel goes into the earphone? Maybe the connection getting worn on the male jack. You can test it pretty easily by feeding a signal into the two parts of the jack individually, and listening for sound levels. I recommend using the same ear for both sides though, or something to detect the sound level.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Also, include the stupid adapter too for iPhone.

Yes, don't make people search for the one adaptor they got from Apple.

My Bose earbuds have been really reliable, and I bought them on a recommendation form a friend... his are also still working. May want to look at those too.

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
I'm never going to spend more than $40 on these things.

Maybe that's your problem. Net effect you spending much more than say buying a $150 pair.

I have Shure headphones with bluetooth option. Best yet the wire can be replaced and the earbuds (as long as they are working) can be reused with a new wire from Shure. They have wired versions as well (which is what they started only with)

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
Maybe that's your problem. Net effect you spending much more than say buying a $150 pair.

I have Shure headphones with bluetooth option. Best yet the wire can be replaced and the earbuds (as long as they are working) can be reused with a new wire from Shure. They have wired versions as well (which is what they started only with)
You're probably right about ending up spending more by buying cheap ones that stop working after a short time.

It feels like the better quality ones are more expensive than they need to be. It's likely they're produced alot cheaper.

How long have you had those headphones?

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
You're probably right about ending up spending more by buying cheap ones that stop working after a short time.

It feels like the better quality ones are more expensive than they need to be. It's likely they're produced alot cheaper.

How long have you had those headphones?

3-4 years now. I just added the Bluetooth option to my earbuds and replaced the wires.

Woodsman81

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Dec 10, 2017
Alma co
I have the same problem with AUX cords. It is probably the way I roll them up and jam them in my pocket every day. I have bought expensive ones too well as expensive as they get at Walmart. Who. uses a AUX cord anymore anyway!

lludwig

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Aug 18, 2018
New York
I see, how many times have you replaced the wires and what's their cost? How long does a wire hold for?

Twice if you included converting it to Bluetooth. The first time the cable stopped working properly.

Woodsman81

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Dec 10, 2017
Alma co
If you are just looking for a problem to solve I have been trying to get a SD card reader for my Android. I am on my 3rd one from cabelas the reviews are terrible on all of them.
The best one I have found so far I can view pictures but cannot delete them. I have really only looked at cabelas site.
These are used to view your trail camera pictures usually your goal is not to carry a lot of stuff into the woods with you and you already have your phone.
It'd be cool if it only showed you the pictures on the card and not every photo on your whole phone think that would help simplify things a lot.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
My son could have bought some stock in headphones of how many pairs he's gone through. I understand completely.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Stop buying cheap a$$ earbuds and take care of the ones you do have.

I've said this many time on Reddit but aside from my smartphone, AirPods are single-handedly the best tech product I have ever purchased. If I lost mine today I'd buy another pair tomorrow.

Before you get all huffy about having to pay for quality things, go actually try them.

We're in an entrepreneurship forum FFS.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
do not make them in china. try making them in malaysia or taiwan instead. My sony ear buds wireless are great made in malaysia. however the only gripe is that they are not loud enough but still no issues with bluetooth connectivity.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
My earphones' wires used to go south as well.

Then a friend showed me this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nXY6WP6NuU

And I've never had wire problems again.
Where were you when I made this thread? Would've saved me some time, I'll definitely use that method for my earbuds.

Stop buying cheap a$$ earbuds and take care of the ones you do have.

I've said this many time on Reddit but aside from my smartphone, AirPods are single-handedly the best tech product I have ever purchased. If I lost mine today I'd buy another pair tomorrow.

Before you get all huffy about having to pay for quality things, go actually try them.

We're in an entrepreneurship forum FFS.
I take care of the ones I have, I'm not irresponsible with them and use them as they were intended.

I don't doubt airpods are great as many have already attested to this but I'm not a fan of wireless earbuds, regardless I've already made a purchase for 10 earbuds at a cheap price.

Marcello8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Sep 3, 2018
Ukraine
This is really irritating to change headphone every months. Not sure which are you using right now. Though you already have tried different one as you said. Right now I have " Energy Sistem Energy Headphones BT2" working well so far. I don't need to change it every month. Because this one serving me well and I am happy to get it. Feature include:

Sound
Sound Output: Stereo
Sensitivity: 93 dB
Acoustic design: Closed
Total Harmonic Distortion: 1 %
Frequency range: 20000 Hz
Dimensions
Category: Audiophile
Style: On-Ear
Weight: 1550000000000/45359237 lb
Magnet Material: Neodymium
Attachment type: Headband
Available colours- Pink, Blue, Black, Turquoise
Connectivity
Inputs Supported: Bluetooth, USB
Bluetooth version: 4.0
Wireless connection: Bluetooth
Power
Battery Life: 10 h

Source: Energy Sistem Headphones BT2 headphone | ▤ Full Specification

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm tired of having to buy new earbuds almost every month when one stops working, I'm 100% sure these companies do it on purpose to make you keep buying new ones, even big companies are doing it.

f*cking scammers.

It's time I got to the bottom of this, I'm going to create earbuds that don't malfunction for atleast five years, calling it now.

It is on purpose. Look up something called planned obsolescence. I did some research about this and wrote a paper on it while in college.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
It is on purpose. Look up something called planned obsolescence. I did some research about this and wrote a paper on it while in college.
That gives me an opportunity to undercut these assholes.

It means a cheap high quality product is possible.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
I've had the same MacBook for 6 years. No problems whatsoever

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I'm one of those few guys who don't believe in paying more than US$15 for music earbuds. The ones I bought all these years average US$10. Each pair lasted for average 6 mths to 1 year.

If there a company that guarantees a 5-year-no-damage-no-loss-in-sound-quality earbuds and sell that for US$20, I would pay for that but no more.
I've switched to bluetooth earbuds nowadays, not sure how long it would last.

US$349.99 Sennheiser IE 80 S earphones? Is it coated with Rhodium with the insides handcrafted by NASA engineers at an Italian atelier? LOL.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012

I used to buy 1 pair of headphones that would ALWAYS break after 2 months (almost to the day). Right now I'm using AKG - only had them for a month - if they last 6 months I'll be happy.

I am not sure 5 years is possible. If shit lasted at least 12-24 months (and I paid $20 for that) I'd be happy VS spending $8 every 2 months.

Last edited:

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
If there a company that guarantees a 5-year-no-damage-no-loss-in-sound-quality earbuds and sell that for US$20, I would pay for that but no more.
Whati about free replacement if they lose sound quality within 5 years? Shure are pretty reliable but in the $100 can be I think.

Better quality costs more, initally. Although if you buy a new replacement every year, how long before it becomes effective to spend the extra money?

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.