The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I've Done Absolutely Nothing for 365 Days, But Killed It After...

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
This whole "F*ck your parents, F*ck your friends" for not understanding your "untamable entrepreneurial spirit" is laughable.
To be fair, he was speaking as to what his attitude was one year ago. Not necessarily what his attitude is now.

We just got off the call about 10 minutes ago and I believe he got a lot of value from it. Whether he realizes it or not (and I believe he does), there was a lot of simple, actionable information shared that if acted upon could set him on an amazing life journey. If he just starts putting one foot in front of the other he will be a success.

@dmitriyb it was a pleasure chatting with you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
The only thing keeping us from becoming something...is...us. Losers will tell you all the things stacked against them. Winners find a way to win despite the obstacles.

It's like, 'winners know they don't want to be losers. they are ok with effort because they know being a winner is worth it'

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
I'm currently organizing what I learned from the talk into a format that can be easily read and applied :)

I want to thank @Vigilante and @AllenCrawley for taking time out of their busy day to chat with me. It's something that I'm sure most people on this forum would incredibly benefit from, I just happened to be the lucky one.

Give me 10-15 minutes.

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
Damn now there is an offer that you can't refuse... so seriously DON'T! The truth is you haven't done absolutely nothing for 365 days. You've learnt a lot.

When I've got stagnate in my life I have come up with some many reasons why things were not possible. I'm not making light of people with mental illnesses because that's a completely different thing, but honestly I think that those of us born to be entrepreneurs have brains that work in very different ways to others. If I'm not using my brain to full capacity of taking action and moving on with things, you can be sure my brain will be filling it's time taking massive action on why I'm not... seriously the lengths it goes to sometimes is seriously impressive. This sounds like a similar scenario, take it as a positive as you've got a very analytic, problem solving mindset - perfect for an entrepreneur.

Congrats on getting accepted, but more so on realising it wasn't for you and owning up to it. I wasted a year of my life starting a Uni degree that I knew in 5 minutes weren't right for me.

It's tough that they're not as supportive as you. My advice - don''t make them your family in moving forward with your dreams. The Fastlane is an awesome entrepreneurial family. Make these people those that you surround yourself with. You'll still get the criticism, but in this case it will be deserved and moving you forward.

Sorry?!? I thought you didn't achieve anything? So GTA isn't going to make you millions, but you proved you can focus on something - that you can get into the flow state and just pay attention to the one goal in front of you. Transfer that to your career and you are golden. The music part too is great. I'm guessing some is better than others and that's because you kept on trying, learning and developing on what you''ve done. Great transferable skills.

You're ahead of most of the pack. The amount of people I know have a great product, but are unable to get it down on paper in a way that people want to buy makes me want to cry. You may not have all the tools, but keep on with this. It's invaluable even if just for overseeking.

Yes! Keep going with this, but also don't get too numb to it, sometimes those things that used to hit you and knock you down can be the thing that drives you to success. It's all about the coping / reaction strategies.... you're in control of how you react to things. Don't let others take control of that.
Thank you for taking the time to respond so thoroughly!

I absolutely agree on using the brain to full capacity. I feel a calm wash over me as soon as I get busy with something that's moving me forward. And if I'm sitting around or being bored, I get quite the opposite.

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
I was a musician in a previous life. You know how I started? I just started. Didn't know anything about chords, couldn't read music, had absolutely no idea what a "C note" sounded like, and had zero musical training or background prior to joining my band. They only thing I knew was they made music that sounded pretty cool to me, and I wanted to be a part of it.

We spent years of practicing multiple times weekly, and playing gigs to to less than 10 people (usually our friends/girlfriends/wives). Yet eventually we got to the position where we started to open for some major acts, then toured Asia, and finally got to the point where we were in talks with every single major label on the planet (ie Sony, EMI, Universal).

Things didn't end up working out for us (we didn't sign a contract), but the thing is we got ourselves into that position because we went through the process.

It wasn't fastlane in the very least, but it still highlights one key point - and that is all about going the process to get to the point where talking to the labels was possible.

An offer from Vig & AllenCrawley to spend their time to talk with you will be one of the quickest ways to shorten the process (don't get me wrong, it'll still be a long process). I wish I had had the same opportunities back in the day - it would've cut years off of my learning curve....
Thank you for writing that! It's really inspiring to see someone who's gone through the process from knowing nothing about music to talking to labels. That mindset and dedicated can be applied anywhere!

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
Looking back, you could have done more...but that doesn't matter.

Looking forward, you can do more...but despite common belief, that doesn't matter either.

What are you doing right now?

There is only now. And there is "doing" and "not doing". Forget the future, learn from the past...and act now.
This gave me goosebumps.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
To be fair, he was speaking as to what his attitude was one year ago. Not necessarily what his attitude is now.

We just got off the call about 10 minutes ago and I believe he got a lot of value from it. Whether he realizes it or not (and I believe he does), there was a lot of simple, actionable information shared that if acted upon could set him on an amazing life journey. If he just starts putting one foot in front of the other he will be a success.

@dmitriyb it was a pleasure chatting with you.

Good call... It read like it could be either. Sorry OP.

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
So here is a compact view of the golden information I was given by @Vigilante and @AllenCrawley.

First and Foremost
It is absolutely essential to have a legal pad with you at all times. Mind you, it could be a notebook, or something similar, but it MUST be a physical thing that you write on with a pen.

Draw a vertical line a third (1/3) of the way across the page, and now your page is split into 2 sections.
  • The first section (which takes up a third of the page) is where you jot down notes or ideas. Just whatever comes to mind.
  • The second section is a NUMBERED LIST of actionable steps that you need to accomplish. Steps you must take to complete a goal.
@Vigilante told me a story about a millionaire who lived in the hottest, mot luxurious spot in Beverly Hills. And he made it essential to always have a legal pad and a pen with him.

Climbing Mountains and Overcoming Obstacles
@Vigilante told me about a young musician like me, who wanted get into a show to see his favourite artist. But he couldn't afford the ticket. So what did he do? He went down to the arena anyway. He lied the guards, and got into the venue. But he didn't stop there! He wanted to meet the artist! And by believing in his crystallized goal of shaking the artist's hand, he was able to get past the obstacles. He ended up taking photos with the artist.

He had a vision of where he wanted to be, and he gave it his best and succeeded.

Getting Access
@Vigilante wanted to get through to a very big client. This was the kind of client that you can't walk up to, and any mail that you send his way will be thrown out. So what did @Vigilante do? He sent the client's assistant a big box filled with helium balloons, and he had the assistant's favourite gifts tied to each balloon. The assistant was WOW'ed, and this created a personal connection. This got him through to the assistant, and eventually he was able to get in touch with the big client.

Do things that other people won't do. Sometimes you just have to pick up the phone and call them to introduce yourself. Or send a gift! Do something that will make you stand out, do something that isn't scalable. This is how you build personal connections and get through to people. You can write an email, but so can the other 1000 people. Do something they won't do. This will get you access.

Perspective
There is always someone in a worse situation than you. Corny, yes, but so true. @Vigilante told me a personal story about another kid like me, and it made me rethink how I see my relationship with my parents.

However long it takes for me to live on my own, I will spend the rest of the time with my parents as the best kid I could possibly be. Because in 40 years, I want to look back and think, I did everything I could!

And lastly,
Nobody is going to take your further in life except yourself. What stands between you and your dream life is a stack of legal pads all written out with actionable steps that you took. It's up to you to create your roadmap. And by creating one, you're already ahead of the 99%.

A number of people on this forum have already become millionaires as a result of this forum. More people will soon enough.

Why can't you be one of them?

Some of the information shared with me was confidential, but it the principles and the mindset described above. Hope you benefit from my notes in some way, and I encourage you to read all of @Vigilante and @AllenCrawley's posts, because most of this information is written out much better firsthand. But before you read more, write your actionable steps down!

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Everything we talked about came from other people. People on this forum, people I've met, people Allen met, the book The Millionaire Fast Lane... We have an obligation to each other and to those who come behind us to pay it forward.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Nobody is going to take your further in life except yourself. What stands between you and your dream life is a stack of legal pads all written out with actionable steps that you took. It's up to you to create your roadmap. And by creating one, you're already ahead of the 99%.

A number of people on this forum have already become millionaires as a result of this forum. More people will soon enough.

Why can't you be one of them?

If it works, it works. I got a double pack stack of legal pads I'll be putting to use over time. And honestly, over time it'd be cool to see how far members of the forum take themselves.

This Just In!

Sales of legal pads are on the rise! :)

Hello-1.jpg

Hello-2.jpg

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
I have a legal pad but it's time to use it, thank you for sharing OP and much thanks to @Vigilante and @AllenCrawley for this opportunity.

Last edited:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Draw a vertical line a third (1/3) of the way across the page, and now your page is split into 2 sections.
  • The first section (which takes up a third of the page) is where you jot down notes or ideas. Just whatever comes to mind.
  • The second section is a NUMBERED LIST of actionable steps that you need to accomplish. Steps you must take to complete a goal.

FYI, they sell these. Mine is made by "Cambridge" Here's mine at my desk:
upload_2015-8-26_9-42-26.png

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
And I'm finally seeing why... The past 16 hours I've had more ideas and crossed off more action steps than I thought I could. It's really a different feeling to wake up and know exactly what you must do :)

It is incredibly rewarding to Allen and me to see you taking action. Life is a series of small steps and daily decisions that all crescendo in who you become.

TC119

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 27, 2015
I'm new here and would be interested in hearing what @Vigilante has to say. An action plan would definitely help since I have an entrepreneurial spirit. I have a moderately successful YouTube channel and enjoy flipping consumer goods. I'm young but financial independence is something I think about everyday. Any advice would be appreciated.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
uploadfromtaptalk1440718219679.jpg

I got my pad today but my source of inspiration for doing so was Napoleon Hill's video here.

I have been listening to him before sleep in the last two days and I got so inspired I have been working almost all day long for a real estate project/startup and with a clearer focus.

There was a time recently that I felt uninspired and kind of lacking direction and I knew I had to make one choice: either go on a downward spiral and do nothing, or start moving towards an upward spiral, put some self discipline, condition my mind daily to keep taking inspired action towards a specific goal. I already feel more organized and focused.

Thanks @Vigilante, I'm always watching you.

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Dec 14, 2014
I,ve been using a small note book this way since I read this. One page for random notes, the other for actions to do. It's working well but I think the small size of the notebook is less than ideal. I'll be switching to a legal pad shortly.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The legal pad is actually a law school technique. They come in to situations organized (the right side of the legal pad) but then can add questions as issues arise in the margin (the left third of the legal pad.) @Esquire I am curious if you use a similar note taking technique.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.