The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I've Done Absolutely Nothing for 365 Days, But Killed It After...

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
So here is a compact view of the golden information I was given by @Vigilante and @AllenCrawley.

First and Foremost
It is absolutely essential to have a legal pad with you at all times. Mind you, it could be a notebook, or something similar, but it MUST be a physical thing that you write on with a pen.

Draw a vertical line a third (1/3) of the way across the page, and now your page is split into 2 sections.
  • The first section (which takes up a third of the page) is where you jot down notes or ideas. Just whatever comes to mind.
  • The second section is a NUMBERED LIST of actionable steps that you need to accomplish. Steps you must take to complete a goal.
@Vigilante told me a story about a millionaire who lived in the hottest, mot luxurious spot in Beverly Hills. And he made it essential to always have a legal pad and a pen with him.

Climbing Mountains and Overcoming Obstacles
@Vigilante told me about a young musician like me, who wanted get into a show to see his favourite artist. But he couldn't afford the ticket. So what did he do? He went down to the arena anyway. He lied the guards, and got into the venue. But he didn't stop there! He wanted to meet the artist! And by believing in his crystallized goal of shaking the artist's hand, he was able to get past the obstacles. He ended up taking photos with the artist.

He had a vision of where he wanted to be, and he gave it his best and succeeded.

Getting Access
@Vigilante wanted to get through to a very big client. This was the kind of client that you can't walk up to, and any mail that you send his way will be thrown out. So what did @Vigilante do? He sent the client's assistant a big box filled with helium balloons, and he had the assistant's favourite gifts tied to each balloon. The assistant was WOW'ed, and this created a personal connection. This got him through to the assistant, and eventually he was able to get in touch with the big client.

Do things that other people won't do. Sometimes you just have to pick up the phone and call them to introduce yourself. Or send a gift! Do something that will make you stand out, do something that isn't scalable. This is how you build personal connections and get through to people. You can write an email, but so can the other 1000 people. Do something they won't do. This will get you access.

Perspective
There is always someone in a worse situation than you. Corny, yes, but so true. @Vigilante told me a personal story about another kid like me, and it made me rethink how I see my relationship with my parents.

However long it takes for me to live on my own, I will spend the rest of the time with my parents as the best kid I could possibly be. Because in 40 years, I want to look back and think, I did everything I could!

And lastly,
Nobody is going to take your further in life except yourself. What stands between you and your dream life is a stack of legal pads all written out with actionable steps that you took. It's up to you to create your roadmap. And by creating one, you're already ahead of the 99%.

A number of people on this forum have already become millionaires as a result of this forum. More people will soon enough.

Why can't you be one of them?

Some of the information shared with me was confidential, but it the principles and the mindset described above. Hope you benefit from my notes in some way, and I encourage you to read all of @Vigilante and @AllenCrawley's posts, because most of this information is written out much better firsthand. But before you read more, write your actionable steps down!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Step 1. Go to Officemax and buy a plain white lined 8 1/2 x 11 legal pad

Step 2. Let me know when you have one

Step 3. You and @AllenCrawley and I will have a 10 minute call (probably Tuesday). I will send you the dial in # when I know you have the legal pad. Since we don't have time to have a call with everybody on the forum, you will Hopefully post what you learned and took away from the call in this thread so other people that come behind you can learn from you.

Step 4. Stop mentally masturbating over your Lambo color

Step 5. A month from now you will be in position to make a real progress thread, assuming you are still not playing video games

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
Bump.

Here we are, 4 years later. I'm now 23, living in Los Angeles and producing/writing music for a living. 5 figures in savings. Releases with major labels (Sony, BMG, Universal). Some passive income from music. Nothing to brag about and definitely not top 1% in my industry but... Still pretty damn lucky.

The gist of it is... A few days after my call with @Vigilante and @AllenCrawley, I got a private message on SoundCloud from a fairly successful music producer/DJ who was based in LA, who asked me to come collaborate with him. That turned into a mentorship that lasted around 2 years (luckily no "bad deal") and allowed me to move to LA in beginning of 2016 with an O-1 Visa for "extraordinary ability" (lol) and work with some medium-high level artists and meet tons of pros (if anyone is curious, you can dig up my artist name from an old post and go to my website where you can see my discography).

As I worked under the producer I built up my songwriting/political skills (you gotta be real gentle with people who do music for a living.... lots of emotional nuances that you have to master so you don't upset the "vibe" of the room and also making sure everyone's in a good mood, otherwise you're wasting time--48 laws is a good read, so is AoS). Eventually started doing writing sessions of my own with various artists I've met, which led to some songs being "taken" by either artists or record labels. Made some money, saved ALL of it, bought some studio gear (nice pre-amp, nice monitors, nice mic).

I wouldn't exactly call what I do "fastlane" unless I get a placement with an A-level artist (which isn't impossible) but... The bills are paid for now. My current life situation is exactly what I envisioned as "success" when I made the first post in this thread. Pretty cool. Still got a long way to go.

Don't know if anyone's still around to read this update but I wanted to again, DEEPLY, thank @Vigilante and @AllenCrawley for their crystallized advice. If you guys didn't clear my dumb f**king head back in 2015, I don't know if I would've agreed to go to LA and meet a completely random person, even if they were pretty successful. I was too chickens**t. You guys set me straight. Most importantly, my relationship with my parents changed entirely over a few months after our call, I stopped being an idiot and realized that they won't be around forever, so it's an absolute waste of time to "hate" them. I fly back to Vancouver at least once every couple months for a week or two, and make sure to keep in touch with them every few days. It's a very deeply satisfying feeling. If you have family, treasure it. Those that grow up without it are at a disadvantage, so count yourself lucky.

Thought it would be cool to revisit the main points from the call and see how I've applied them:

Basically, 99% of people just do the least amount of work required of them. Even if they work with A-level artists. Overachievers are... Far and between. If you show up on time, with a smile on your face and a serious work ethic... Even on a high level in an industry you will be an anomaly. People "high up" in the entertainment industry in their late 30s-40s are mostly jaded, so they need young people to boost up their morale, make them feel "hip". Be that "hip", easy-going, fun character, and people will open doors for you. But always make sure you are bringing 100% effort to every single thing you are part of. There's no other way about it. When I work with a new person and I can see they're not giving me all their effort, having a kind of lazy "aura" about them... I don't usually call them back. People like seeing you work, it's like that saying about if your car breaks down on the highway, start pushing it. Don't wait for someone to help you. And once you start pushing, someone will come and help you since you've already done the initial heavy lifting.

Getting Access
Getting access is best done by just spending an enormous amount of work on perfecting your craft. Compare your work to literally the top 1% in your industry and try to match it (if you're in pop music this would be Max Martin, Greg Kurstin, Ian Kirkpatrick, etc). If you truly put in a few years with this attitude (as long as you don't live in a cave) people will see your work and take appropriate actions (put you in rooms, give you things to work on). Keep in mind, my opinion is completely biased because I literally got access to a high level immediately by pure chance, but for those on the "grind", what I recommend is seek out lower-level people like myself and help them out. Be useful, maybe even ask them what they need help with. Because once those people have "power", they will remember the guy who helped them out X years ago. Even if it's been 3-7 years. (There is a successful DJ from Vancouver that goes by Vanic that reposted the first songs I released in 2013 and 2014 to tens of thousands of his fans, maybe for shits, maybe because he liked them. He gave me a nice boost to my following and I never forgot the guy, anytime he reaches out for feedback on mixes I jump to it immediately. He could ask me to fly to Alaska tomorrow to feed a stray dog and I would do it. People remember good deeds.) This route of finding "bubbling" people in the industry is a bit more realistic than trying to get a meeting with Quincy Jones or Drake's manager, since those lower-level people are super easy to access. All they're focusing on is becoming more successful, so they will utilize you if you're actually useful to them. There's plenty of people who work under someone well-known, so just find them, and build a relationship with them so when they have their "break", they'll help you out.

Perspective
"There is always someone in a worse situation than you." Again, back to the parents thing. Make sure you treasure your family and close relationships because as soon as you start to have any amount of success, your circle of close friends will shrink significantly. But your parents/family will always be there. They don't care if you worked with Madonna, they just care if you ate enough today. Or if you're getting sunlight and exercise. Also this might be a bit dark but when your parents have 1 live parent between the both of them.. Something clicks in your head.

To summarize, just keep at it. Life is a million little steps that stack up on top of each other, so make sure you take the good ones. Read "The Slight Edge" by Jeff Olson. Not everyone will be lucky, and not everyone will be successful, but you can GUARANTEE that you won't achieve anything by quitting early. Here's an excerpt from "Fooled By Randomness" by Nassim Taleb:

“Our brain is not cut out for nonlinearities. People think that if, say, two variables are causally linked, then a steady input in one variable should always yield a result in the other one. Our emotional apparatus is designed for linear causality. For instance, you study every day and learn something in proportion to your studies. If you do not feel that you are going anywhere, your emotions will cause you to become demoralized. But reality rarely gives us the privilege of a satisfying linear positive progression: You may study for a year and learn nothing, then, unless you are disheartened by the empty results and give up, something will come to you in a flash. My partner Mark Spitznagel summarizes it as follows: Imagine yourself practicing the piano every day for a long time, barely being able to perform “Chopsticks,” then suddenly finding yourself capable of playing Rachmaninov. Owing to this nonlinearity, people cannot comprehend the nature of the rare event. This summarizes why there are routes to success that are nonrandom, but few, very few, people have the mental stamina to follow them. Those who go the extra mile are rewarded.”

Go the extra mile. Always. You will be rewarded. If not now, then a few years down the road. Work on your mental stamina. I find weightlifting (heavy, low-reps) and stoic philosophy good ways to callous the mind, although again I'm biased since I've been into both for a while.

And of course, thank you to @MJ DeMarco for writing The Millionaire Fastlane and making such an impression on me at 18 that I came to the forum and got myself into this whole mess. Wouldn't have happened without you.

I'm one lucky f**k, so I make sure to put in work to constantly prove myself. Don't want to let down those that have supported me early on.

Oh yeah the legal pads... Got about 30 of them stacked in a box under my bed lol. Definitely works.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Everything we talked about came from other people. People on this forum, people I've met, people Allen met, the book The Millionaire Fast Lane... We have an obligation to each other and to those who come behind us to pay it forward.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
This whole "F*ck your parents, F*ck your friends" for not understanding your "untamable entrepreneurial spirit" is laughable.
To be fair, he was speaking as to what his attitude was one year ago. Not necessarily what his attitude is now.

We just got off the call about 10 minutes ago and I believe he got a lot of value from it. Whether he realizes it or not (and I believe he does), there was a lot of simple, actionable information shared that if acted upon could set him on an amazing life journey. If he just starts putting one foot in front of the other he will be a success.

@dmitriyb it was a pleasure chatting with you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Looking back, you could have done more...but that doesn't matter.

Looking forward, you can do more...but despite common belief, that doesn't matter either.

What are you doing right now?

There is only now. And there is "doing" and "not doing". Forget the future, learn from the past...and act now.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
@Vigilante - For those of us who do not have the same privilege as @dmitriyb , what can he expect from the phone call?

I have tuned into a handful of Fastlane conference calls with @AllenCrawley. Ten minutes can fly by, so I'm sure whatever he has to say in that short time will be a value-packed bomb. :)

10 Minutes is impossible for me. I talk too much. He'll share with ya'all what ever he decides to. We just spent some time talking about a lot of the things shared on the forum, such as starting from scratch, climbing barriers, networking, and the fact that nobody is looking out for you... but you. Hopefully we reframed some things for him that will help him as he drives himself forward. But, as we all know, action separates the do'ers from the action fakers.

Time will tell. Most people have a chance, and starting from his age there is likely nothing he can't do if he decides what direction he needs to move in.

Same is probably true for most of the people here. The only thing keeping us from becoming something...is...us. Losers will tell you all the things stacked against them. Winners find a way to win despite the obstacles.

Jamie T

>>
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
390%
Oct 26, 2014
Phoenix, AZ
So make a post like this and we get a 10 minute call with a millionaire to get free advice?

Why didn't I think of that...

Do not worry, Vigilante is offering FREE mentorship for as long as you want. All you have to do is read this thread https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/mj-is-offering-free-mentoring.25393/

I'll even paste the instructions for you:

"Type in thefastlaneforum.com

Go to search. Find posts by user: Vigilante

Total Posts: 5,989

Read all of them. Get mentored by a millionaire."

To add to this brilliant advice:

After you go to thefastlaneforum.com and you're logged in, move your mouse over your member name in the top right.

NewsFeedProfile.png

You'll see an option that says "Your News Feed" -click that. (I think it's available to everyone and not just an INSIDERS thing, but I could be wrong)

Now, you can see the most up to date activity of the people you follow. *Hint: follow members who you look up to and you enjoy reading their posts.
YourNewsFeed.png

The first thing that I do when I go to this forum (each day) is go directly to my news feed. In fact, I have "special" a bookmark in my browser for it..

NewFeedBookmark.png

Look at it as going to the WJS.com, but instead of world news, you're getting direct Fastlane news from the members who're influencing you to become better than you were yesterday.

I spent too much time on this post, but it'll help those who don't utilize or even know about the news feed. And, this was really a promotional post for @jon.a

Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Every single one of us has reached a critical crossroads in our lives. This is his. This is one of those moments he can make a decision as to whether not he's going to become something, or play video games.

I am betting on him.

D

DeletedUser394

OP is still browsing this forum. OP get off the computer and go to the store!

I was once offered an opportunity to meet with one of the forum's (formerly) most respected members. Within 3 minutes I had booked a flight that I couldn't afford, to a place that I'd never been before.

That meeting forever changed my perspective on the world and what success actually looks like.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Keep in mind 2 things.

1. What he posts after we engage is up to him, and

2. His progress thread likely won't follow until he's ready to do a real progress thread

So, the popcorn buckets might have to wait until he's ready. We'll see.

I just want to take some of the pressure off of his shoulders, and temper expectations.

He's a young kid, and we're just going to give him a shot in the arm.

However, if you read some of his other threads, you will see what I see... which is someone that has all the potential in the world.

Allen and I have failed more than most, and that's where most of our value comes in. We're not professional coaches, or even good mentors.

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
I'm currently organizing what I learned from the talk into a format that can be easily read and applied :)

I want to thank @Vigilante and @AllenCrawley for taking time out of their busy day to chat with me. It's something that I'm sure most people on this forum would incredibly benefit from, I just happened to be the lucky one.

Give me 10-15 minutes.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
And I'm finally seeing why... The past 16 hours I've had more ideas and crossed off more action steps than I thought I could. It's really a different feeling to wake up and know exactly what you must do :)

It is incredibly rewarding to Allen and me to see you taking action. Life is a series of small steps and daily decisions that all crescendo in who you become.

Mr. L

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Apr 7, 2015

Step 3. You and @AllenCrawley and I will have a 10 minute call (probably Tuesday). I will send you the dial in # when I know you have the legal pad. Since we don't have time to have a call with everybody on the forum, you will Hopefully post what you learned and took away from the call in this thread so other people that come behind you can learn from you.

Step 5. A month from now you will be in position to make a real progress thread, assuming you are still not playing video games

@dmitriyb

Bro, don't F*ck this up. Please.

This call can change your life.

EDIT P.S: What makes me angry is that I see my old self in you.

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada

Ok, I now have a legal pad as you requested. Patiently awaiting your message.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
So make a post like this and we get a 10 minute call with a millionaire to get free advice?

Do not worry, Vigilante is offering FREE mentorship for as long as you want. All you have to do is read this thread https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/mj-is-offering-free-mentoring.25393/

I'll even paste the instructions for you:

"Type in thefastlaneforum.com

Go to search. Find posts by user: Vigilante

Total Posts: 5,989

Read all of them. Get mentored by a millionaire."

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Bump.

Here we are, 4 years later. I'm now 23, living in Los Angeles and producing/writing music for a living. 5 figures in savings. Releases with major labels (Sony, BMG, Universal). Some passive income from music. Nothing to brag about and definitely not top 1% in my industry but... Still pretty damn lucky.

The gist of it is... A few days after my call with @Vigilante and @AllenCrawley, I got a private message on SoundCloud from a fairly successful music producer/DJ who was based in LA, who asked me to come collaborate with him. That turned into a mentorship that lasted around 2 years (luckily no "bad deal") and allowed me to move to LA in beginning of 2016 with an O-1 Visa for "extraordinary ability" (lol) and work with some medium-high level artists and meet tons of pros (if anyone is curious, you can dig up my artist name from an old post and go to my website where you can see my discography).

As I worked under the producer I built up my songwriting/political skills (you gotta be real gentle with people who do music for a living.... lots of emotional nuances that you have to master so you don't upset the "vibe" of the room and also making sure everyone's in a good mood, otherwise you're wasting time--48 laws is a good read, so is AoS). Eventually started doing writing sessions of my own with various artists I've met, which led to some songs being "taken" by either artists or record labels. Made some money, saved ALL of it, bought some studio gear (nice pre-amp, nice monitors, nice mic).

I wouldn't exactly call what I do "fastlane" unless I get a placement with an A-level artist (which isn't impossible) but... The bills are paid for now. My current life situation is exactly what I envisioned as "success" when I made the first post in this thread. Pretty cool. Still got a long way to go.

Don't know if anyone's still around to read this update but I wanted to again, DEEPLY, thank @Vigilante and @AllenCrawley for their crystallized advice. If you guys didn't clear my dumb f**king head back in 2015, I don't know if I would've agreed to go to LA and meet a completely random person, even if they were pretty successful. I was too chickens**t. You guys set me straight. Most importantly, my relationship with my parents changed entirely over a few months after our call, I stopped being an idiot and realized that they won't be around forever, so it's an absolute waste of time to "hate" them. I fly back to Vancouver at least once every couple months for a week or two, and make sure to keep in touch with them every few days. It's a very deeply satisfying feeling. If you have family, treasure it. Those that grow up without it are at a disadvantage, so count yourself lucky.

Thought it would be cool to revisit the main points from the call and see how I've applied them:

Basically, 99% of people just do the least amount of work required of them. Even if they work with A-level artists. Overachievers are... Far and between. If you show up on time, with a smile on your face and a serious work ethic... Even on a high level in an industry you will be an anomaly. People "high up" in the entertainment industry in their late 30s-40s are mostly jaded, so they need young people to boost up their morale, make them feel "hip". Be that "hip", easy-going, fun character, and people will open doors for you. But always make sure you are bringing 100% effort to every single thing you are part of. There's no other way about it. When I work with a new person and I can see they're not giving me all their effort, having a kind of lazy "aura" about them... I don't usually call them back. People like seeing you work, it's like that saying about if your car breaks down on the highway, start pushing it. Don't wait for someone to help you. And once you start pushing, someone will come and help you since you've already done the initial heavy lifting.

Getting Access
Getting access is best done by just spending an enormous amount of work on perfecting your craft. Compare your work to literally the top 1% in your industry and try to match it (if you're in pop music this would be Max Martin, Greg Kurstin, Ian Kirkpatrick, etc). If you truly put in a few years with this attitude (as long as you don't live in a cave) people will see your work and take appropriate actions (put you in rooms, give you things to work on). Keep in mind, my opinion is completely biased because I literally got access to a high level immediately by pure chance, but for those on the "grind", what I recommend is seek out lower-level people like myself and help them out. Be useful, maybe even ask them what they need help with. Because once those people have "power", they will remember the guy who helped them out X years ago. Even if it's been 3-7 years. (There is a successful DJ from Vancouver that goes by Vanic that reposted the first songs I released in 2013 and 2014 to tens of thousands of his fans, maybe for shits, maybe because he liked them. He gave me a nice boost to my following and I never forgot the guy, anytime he reaches out for feedback on mixes I jump to it immediately. He could ask me to fly to Alaska tomorrow to feed a stray dog and I would do it. People remember good deeds.) This route of finding "bubbling" people in the industry is a bit more realistic than trying to get a meeting with Quincy Jones or Drake's manager, since those lower-level people are super easy to access. All they're focusing on is becoming more successful, so they will utilize you if you're actually useful to them. There's plenty of people who work under someone well-known, so just find them, and build a relationship with them so when they have their "break", they'll help you out.

Perspective
"There is always someone in a worse situation than you." Again, back to the parents thing. Make sure you treasure your family and close relationships because as soon as you start to have any amount of success, your circle of close friends will shrink significantly. But your parents/family will always be there. They don't care if you worked with Madonna, they just care if you ate enough today. Or if you're getting sunlight and exercise. Also this might be a bit dark but when your parents have 1 live parent between the both of them.. Something clicks in your head.

To summarize, just keep at it. Life is a million little steps that stack up on top of each other, so make sure you take the good ones. Read "The Slight Edge" by Jeff Olson. Not everyone will be lucky, and not everyone will be successful, but you can GUARANTEE that you won't achieve anything by quitting early. Here's an excerpt from "Fooled By Randomness" by Nassim Taleb:

“Our brain is not cut out for nonlinearities. People think that if, say, two variables are causally linked, then a steady input in one variable should always yield a result in the other one. Our emotional apparatus is designed for linear causality. For instance, you study every day and learn something in proportion to your studies. If you do not feel that you are going anywhere, your emotions will cause you to become demoralized. But reality rarely gives us the privilege of a satisfying linear positive progression: You may study for a year and learn nothing, then, unless you are disheartened by the empty results and give up, something will come to you in a flash. My partner Mark Spitznagel summarizes it as follows: Imagine yourself practicing the piano every day for a long time, barely being able to perform “Chopsticks,” then suddenly finding yourself capable of playing Rachmaninov. Owing to this nonlinearity, people cannot comprehend the nature of the rare event. This summarizes why there are routes to success that are nonrandom, but few, very few, people have the mental stamina to follow them. Those who go the extra mile are rewarded.”

Go the extra mile. Always. You will be rewarded. If not now, then a few years down the road. Work on your mental stamina. I find weightlifting (heavy, low-reps) and stoic philosophy good ways to callous the mind, although again I'm biased since I've been into both for a while.

And of course, thank you to @MJ DeMarco for writing The Millionaire Fastlane and making such an impression on me at 18 that I came to the forum and got myself into this whole mess. Wouldn't have happened without you.

I'm one lucky f**k, so I make sure to put in work to constantly prove myself. Don't want to let down those that have supported me early on.

Oh yeah the legal pads... Got about 30 of them stacked in a box under my bed lol. Definitely works.

This.

You and people like you are the reason @AllenCrawley and I still hang around.

Loved your update more than you will ever know.

mtb_fanatic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jul 1, 2015

This is what makes this forum great. Willing to help others and to make an impact.

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada
This week last year I decided to become an "entrepreneur" and make the BIG BUCKS! F*ck my parents and their negativity towards my untameable entrepreneurial spirit, and F*ck my friends for only wanting to play video games and go out for food! Exotic cars, here I come!

...I even setup and automatic email that I received a few days ago saying "you better be driving a Blue Cepheus Lamborghini Aventador".

Little did I know...

Here's a quick overview of what I've actually done for 365 days:

- developed irrational phobias due to high stress
- got accepted into film school (which I have no desire to pursue as a career)
- realized just how much my parents are negatively affecting me
- played a lot of Grand Theft Auto to take my mind off reality
- made a lot of music
- learned a bit about copywriting
- started giving less of a F*ck

So really, I've done nothing related to solving others' needs. Haha! Good stuff.

Yet every single day I'm being taunted by my mother that "I only have x months before I have to live on my own". They don't mean it and I know it, they don't have the guts to kick me out. But saying that shit everyday, it might as well be the truth.

Ah... What the F*ck man. I remember it being December 31st, and me telling myself that 2015 will be the year I succeed and finally make something of myself. Yet here I am, just a little bit more educated and a lot more angry.

I guess, the point I'm trying to make here is... If you tell yourself you're going to be successful next time this year, you're kidding yourself unless you're already doing things that will make you successful. I was trying to run before I knew how to use my legs. I couldn't even see my legs! I still don't. But at least now I know how to pace myself better, and can try and implement some of the methods I learned in the book.

And best of all, the only thing on my mind is the post I made here about becoming a fastlane musician, and how I disregarded every piece of the golden advice given to me. I decided I was too good for making tutorial videos, and that I didn't have the patience to host my own music show on Twitch. I can't even bring myself to get in touch with a singer because I feel like my instrumentals are incompetent. F*ck!

yet every day i wake up and wonder what life would be like if all i had to do was make music day and night. it would be F*cking beautiful. i can just picture myself meeting the producers i talk to on twitter, or meeting the famous producers i stalk on snapchat everyday. how in the world do i focus myself on what's most important to me?

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada

This is unbelievable. Thank you for this incredible opportunity, I will make the most of it. For the forum, and for myself.

I've got an empty notepad, but it's not a legal pad like you specified. The store opens in less than 5 hours, and you can bet I'll be the first one there.

I will reply to your post once I'm holding the pad.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
popcorn-blank.gif

db7903915

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
557%
Aug 8, 2014
Canada

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Damn now there is an offer that you can't refuse... so seriously DON'T! The truth is you haven't done absolutely nothing for 365 days. You've learnt a lot.

When I've got stagnate in my life I have come up with some many reasons why things were not possible. I'm not making light of people with mental illnesses because that's a completely different thing, but honestly I think that those of us born to be entrepreneurs have brains that work in very different ways to others. If I'm not using my brain to full capacity of taking action and moving on with things, you can be sure my brain will be filling it's time taking massive action on why I'm not... seriously the lengths it goes to sometimes is seriously impressive. This sounds like a similar scenario, take it as a positive as you've got a very analytic, problem solving mindset - perfect for an entrepreneur.

Congrats on getting accepted, but more so on realising it wasn't for you and owning up to it. I wasted a year of my life starting a Uni degree that I knew in 5 minutes weren't right for me.

It's tough that they're not as supportive as you. My advice - don''t make them your family in moving forward with your dreams. The Fastlane is an awesome entrepreneurial family. Make these people those that you surround yourself with. You'll still get the criticism, but in this case it will be deserved and moving you forward.

- made a lot of music

Sorry?!? I thought you didn't achieve anything? So GTA isn't going to make you millions, but you proved you can focus on something - that you can get into the flow state and just pay attention to the one goal in front of you. Transfer that to your career and you are golden. The music part too is great. I'm guessing some is better than others and that's because you kept on trying, learning and developing on what you''ve done. Great transferable skills.

You're ahead of most of the pack. The amount of people I know have a great product, but are unable to get it down on paper in a way that people want to buy makes me want to cry. You may not have all the tools, but keep on with this. It's invaluable even if just for overseeking.

Yes! Keep going with this, but also don't get too numb to it, sometimes those things that used to hit you and knock you down can be the thing that drives you to success. It's all about the coping / reaction strategies.... you're in control of how you react to things. Don't let others take control of that.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
This week last year I decided to become an "entrepreneur" and make the BIG BUCKS! F*ck my parents and their negativity towards my untameable entrepreneurial spirit, and F*ck my friends for only wanting to play video games and go out for food! Exotic cars, here I come!

...I even setup and automatic email that I received a few days ago saying "you better be driving a Blue Cepheus Lamborghini Aventador".

Little did I know...

Here's a quick overview of what I've actually done for 365 days:

- made a lot of music

So really, I've done nothing related to solving others' needs. Haha! Good stuff.

Yet every single day I'm being taunted by my mother that "I only have x months before I have to live on my own". They don't mean it and I know it, they don't have the guts to kick me out. But saying that shit everyday, it might as well be the truth.

Ah... What the F*ck man. I remember it being December 31st, and me telling myself that 2015 will be the year I succeed and finally make something of myself. Yet here I am, just a little bit more educated and a lot more angry.

I guess, the point I'm trying to make here is... If you tell yourself you're going to be successful next time this year, you're kidding yourself unless you're already doing things that will make you successful. I was trying to run before I knew how to use my legs. I couldn't even see my legs! I still don't. But at least now I know how to pace myself better, and can try and implement some of the methods I learned in the book.

And best of all, the only thing on my mind is the post I made here about becoming a fastlane musician, and how I disregarded every piece of the golden advice given to me. I decided I was too good for making tutorial videos, and that I didn't have the patience to host my own music show on Twitch. I can't even bring myself to get in touch with a singer because I feel like my instrumentals are incompetent. F*ck!

yet every day i wake up and wonder what life would be like if all i had to do was make music day and night. it would be F*cking beautiful. i can just picture myself meeting the producers i talk to on twitter, or meeting the famous producers i stalk on snapchat everyday. how in the world do i focus myself on what's most important to me?

This whole "F*ck your parents, F*ck your friends" for not understanding your "untamable entrepreneurial spirit" is laughable. You sound like typical lazy, entitled millennial. Let me break the bad news to you, you aren't special.

Did I mention you better take Vig up on his offer?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

The cold hard truth is that all the advice one needs is already out there. A short call wont make a difference.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.