The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this "you can do anything in life" thing only a lie?

B-qiri

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jun 6, 2016
Switzerland
Is it possible to do anything you want in life? No. There's opportunity cost to everything and your life is finite.

Is it possible to do things you cannot currently imagine yourself doing? Yes. Is it possible to create things that no one has dreamed of yet? Yes. Is it possible to positively affect the lives of incomprehensibly large numbers of people? Yes.

The people that post those damn "you can do anything quotes" on social media to get you to join their MLM probably won't, and I give them till about mid February before they stop wearing the Fitbit that was supposed to help them keep their New Year's resolution.

If you're not the stop 6 weeks into something guy, you can do the aforementioned things, though.
my gym is filled now with those 6weeks-guys!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Frankie Relax

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
May 1, 2015
Italy
Think of the fastlane like comments on this forum.

Every time I log in, I see that people have liked comments I left days or even weeks ago.

Those likes put reps into my forum rep bank, from "work" I already did way earlier. I've found that the more quality comments I make, the more likely previous comments are to be liked as well.

I have real life processes in place that do the same. Not fastlane yet, but close.

I make money 24hrs per day, because of work done days, weeks, months, even years ago.

Make sense?

So work hard, yes. But work on the right things.

That's basically the passive income concept.

It absolutely makes sense.

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Hi everyone

I want to share some thoughts with you, this is the first one. I will also share my great progress because of TMLF in 2016 in another thread.

So, I realized that "entrepreneurship", "work hard", "blabla motivation bla, work bla, success bla" is something like a trend. No really, look up the subject entrepreneurship in google trends from 2004 to now and you will see what I mean. There are even 14-16 year old KIDS who want to tell you how to get successfull and live a life in freedom etc. So many of the gurus who know so much about success and business and money an blablabla never had a business themselves, in spite of talking the whole day. Everybody is becoming a motivation coach and entrepreneur!

As I think of this, I have the fear that I'm only in a trend and soon it will go down and everybody including me will see that it doesn't work. That would be a really shitty situation because I'm working my a$$ off. There are so many people who know all the wisdom like "do something today that nobody does to have the things tomorrow that nobody has" but they don't do shit except of talking. That's quite frustrating being part of this "movement".

Than I think of the sick-successfull people like Bill Gates etc.: Why don't they ever say those things? Why don't they ever say you can do it too, you have to work on your mindset you have to work hard and so forth?
Sometimes I think they only made it because they were geniuses. Sure they worked hard, but could some normal guy like me do something like them? I doubt it..

Did you heard of somebody who became rich and said: Yeah I read all the "start-up"-books, listened to all the motivators, worked hard an then I became rich?

I'm really not trying to say that it isn't worth it to work. I still got up at 5am today and I do it every day so that I can read and work a little bit. I still work, read and train my a$$ off. Because even if I'll never get rich, it was totally worth it and much much better than wasting my time drinking alcohol in nightclubs and watching TV. I also wan't to mention that this Forum and MJ surely are not one of the many Gurus out there because here are real people with real businesses, maybe not all but many. I just want to hear what you guys think about this; Is this only a movement, something like the "attraction, think of it and it will become reality" trend?

Yes and no. If anyone is peddling the law of attraction and the whole "believe it and so it shall be" sentiment, run. This is a lie.

However, here's the hidden truth. There are people that are on the Slowlane. Several millions of them. There are also multi-billionaires, celebrity chefs, and astronauts. What this tells me is that anything between ordinary and leaving the planet and walking on the next rock are all humanly possible.

Now. Notice that language there. It doesn't guarantee anything in terms of success or future concreteness. All we know is that it's humanly possible.

Should we want to put up the effort required to visit the next rock over, we can all do that. But the kicker is, most people are too lazy for that.

It's not a question of "is anything possible," rather one of "am I willing to put forth the effort."

Merlox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 11, 2016
Remember that success is never something that happens in a day. It takes years and years of consistent work to grow to the point of massive audience.

Remember the next day you go to work that what you do that day stays forever with you.

Remember that everytime will be hard, but you will do it anyway.

That's success.

Gareth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Nov 25, 2016
Anything is NOT POSSIBLE for me.

I cannot and will not be able to run faster than USAIN BOLT
I will never be President of the United States
etc.

But I do have the capacity and ability to do things far beyond the limitations that I have put upon myself.

Beware the generalizations : anything, everyone, always, never, nobody....

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Apr 13, 2015
Three things:

You talk about Bill Gates, if you want to know about him watch the movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley", you will realize that what he has is because of hard work and discipline more than "genius". You'll see Steve Jobs too, he wasn't intellectually brilliant, he didn't have technical talents but he became hugely successful for the same reason and in the same field. They didn't go around giving speeches about success and the future of computers, they were proactive and worked their asses off to make it happen.

You can't do anything, that's one of the biggest lies of the self-help gurus, life is finite and you were born with some talents and with many weaknesses. But you can do remarkable things, your limits and potential may be way beyond what you believe.

And there's no failure only feedback. You only fail when you force yourself to hard time constraints or unrealistic expectations. Do stuff, watch the world react and correct accordingly, rinse and repeat. You won't fail unless you consciously give up.

Edit: One extra thing, Bill Gates is intellectualy brilliant, it's a big part of his success, he knows how to code and he knew how to program computers, when back in the day you needed to know the low level workings of electronics to get results.

But being intelligent is a double edged sword, many smart people have failed because of their ego. They love to be perceived as geniuses so they stop taking risks or they stop making decissions because when something doesn't work as they expected they give up because they decide it's impossible because they're sooo smart that if they can't make it happen no one could.

Last edited:

Young-Gun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Mar 8, 2014
Austin, TX
You can't do "anything" you put your mind to (I can't flap my arms and fly) - but, you almost certainly can do 100x more than you believe you can (I could try to design, build, and market a personal jetpack/flying machine).

Beethoven composed - while deaf, destitute and physically miserable - the 9th Symphony, the late String Quartets, the late Piano Sonatas.

I have no excuse, for ANYTHING, for ANY whining, while the memory of that Man still exists in human knowledge.

Inspirational-Ludwig-van-Beethoven-Quotes.jpg

51658c581596e167fa34a47d5841ec9f.jpg

InspirationalFacebookStatusMindPictures-6198.jpg

To-play-a-wrong-note-is-insignificant-to-play-without-passion-is-inexcusable..jpg

What a God.
Never give up.

Last edited:

Rickchise23

@clickpickRick
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
503%
Mar 25, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
So this may be a but different from the other posts but here is what I have to say on the topic.

Don't pay attention to gurus too much... if you want to get pumped up to work and watch a Gary V video or a Grant Cardone Snapchat that's cool if it gets you going.

A lot of folks on here are saying try hard and don't quit but honestly for me it was knowing when to quit that enabled my success. I stepped out of a 6 figure income working 65 hours a week and moved to a different state with my family with a one person startup with a monthly income of around $2000. I knew however that if I stopped doing dumb shit and focused my time and energy on a business that didn't require my physical presence 12 hours a day, I would have room to grow and live the life I wanted to live.

I grew that business from 2k a month to 12k a month in monthly net profit within a year BUT it is only because I QUIT and redirected my focus to what actually made sense. Don't be afraid of quitting and changing course if what your doing no longer makes sense. Just as you wouldn't buy a horse buggy company the year after Henry Ford invented the Model T, or your not keen on buying a taxi company today, reserve your right to change course to a lane that makes sense.

Sometimes a pivot is the only way to move forward in a meaningful way. Twice in the past five years I was making over 10k per month and while that felt comfortable I innately knew it was time to pivot. Fast forward 5 years both of those businesses are out of business and I'm making more than I ever have while working less that I'd even prefer too. As an entrepreneur complacency is your enemy and you have to know your market like no one else and see the trends before anyone else. Knowing when to quit or when to push through is vital. Don't be afraid of doing 2 or 3 things at once In The beginning and just following what feels the best.

Lastly, just get out there and break shit. Motion creates emotion. In the absence of a firm direction just do something, pitch somebody. The more you do
This the more you will understand your own business and how to relate it to other people. No one here can tell you what is right for you. Just go fail your way to success. A broken clock is right twice a day and if you can match that metric and hit 2 sales a day you just might have a real awesome business here in the next 6 months

Fortune5ive

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 24, 2017
New Jersey
Yes and no. If anyone is peddling the law of attraction and the whole "believe it and so it shall be" sentiment, run. This is a lie.

However, here's the hidden truth. There are people that are on the Slowlane. Several millions of them. There are also multi-billionaires, celebrity chefs, and astronauts. What this tells me is that anything between ordinary and leaving the planet and walking on the next rock are all humanly possible.

Now. Notice that language there. It doesn't guarantee anything in terms of success or future concreteness. All we know is that it's humanly possible.

Should we want to put up the effort required to visit the next rock over, we can all do that. But the kicker is, most people are too lazy for that.

It's not a question of "is anything possible," rather one of "am I willing to put forth the effort."

I'm sorry, but the Law of Attraction is very real. It's a law like gravity. Whether you acknowledge it or not it's still in existence. It's not magic. What you think about most is what you attract. That simple. Opportunity finds those who attract it. Our thoughts are what inspires action or even inaction. Look at all of the great outliers...Wright brothers, King Jr., Ford, Jobs..etc. Everything they accomplished started with a thought. Not a dollar. Not sponsor.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Apr 13, 2015
I'm sorry, but the Law of Attraction is very real. It's a law like gravity. Whether you acknowledge it or not it's still in existence. It's not magic. What you think about most is what you attract. That simple. Opportunity finds those who attract it. Our thoughts are what inspires action or even inaction. Look at all of the great outliers...Wright brothers, King Jr., Ford, Jobs..etc. Everything they accomplished started with a thought. Not a dollar. Not sponsor.
Sorry the Law of Attraction doesn't exist, "the Universe" doesn't care about humans in any way shape of form. You can be thinking about being a ripped beefcake all day but unless you go to the gym and diet it's not going to happen.

What you think the most is irrelevant, it's what you DO what counts. Even with that into account luck is a big factor, tell people in Africa, India and China about the Law of Attraction... Tell women born in a Muslim country that they can do whatever they want...

Healthy and happy people die every day because of unpredictable accidents/events. They didn't attract it, many times shit just happens, you can't do anything about it and no one is responsible of it.

What about Hollywood? Every year thousands of people go there because they want to be famous actors. They spend years working as waiters THINKING about movies, about being actors or actresses, they study and practice acting all day every day, but then... results don't come.

The Law of Attraction is a made up thing directed towards lazy people to make them spend their money and make their creators rich. Or in plain words, it's a scam for gullible individuals.

Life is a numbers game; if you're born in a difficult environment, you're f*cked; if your parents' genetic heritage is bad, you're f*cked; if your talents are not in demand, you're f*cked; you can do everything right and still get f*cked, because shit happens.

Yes, if you think all the time about wealth (or anything) you influence your mind to exhibit the behaviors that will increase your chances of success. But that it's not the LoA at all...

The LoA it's supposed to work like this:

-I want X.
-I start thinking all the time about X.
-Somehow I transmit my thoughts to "the Universe".
-Somehow people receive my thoughts and subconsciously act upon them.
-Eventually "the Universe" gives me X through people.

In other words, the LoA assumes that humans have ESP, the Universe is an intelligent entity watching us and that everything reacts to our will.

Have you noticed the egocentrism? Also, how is this a Law when it (supposedly) works proportionally better the stronger you believe? Does gravity stop if you don't believe in it?

It doesn't exist.

P.S.: By the way, the "LoA made" one of their "teachers" go to jail because he killed 3 people in a sweat lodge, I guess they attracted all this...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.