The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is marriage an archaic and 'scripted' ideology?

SebastianSkinner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Aug 26, 2020
UK
Hi All,

Something I have been thinking about internally for a while is the idea of marriage and whether or not it is worth it in today's society (I am speaking from a 1st world western country).

I do think that my upbringing has had effected my viewpoints on the matter (coming from a family who's parents divorced when I was young and it being a fairly bitter process for both parents).

Ultimately, from looking into the statistics with basically 1 in 2 marriages ending in divorce along with most people identifying as agnostic or atheist is there any need for the idealism of marriage anymore? The only reason I can see it being more prevalent is if you want children or for legal and tax reasons etc.

If a marriage is to go south it can have crippling effects on an individual mentally and financially. I was wondering what others views are on it and if they see the concept of marriage as now outdated as well? I understand that this is looking at it with a very pessimistic viewpoint, glass half empty stance if you will.

Also I do believe that their is a societal expectation from friends and family that by a certain age you should be married, 2.5 kids, settled down with a fat mortgage along with other liabilities etc. However, by going against this assertion it can open up a lot of time, freedom and ultimately allow you to take more risks in pursuit of business endeavours.

Thoughts on this and whether you view it as a 'scripted' idealism would be interesting.

Best,

S

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Athena

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Sep 22, 2019
Statistically more men are happier in marriage than women. Go figure.

More women file for divorce. Go figure.

Yes more women want to get married but once they do they realize they are just elevated maids who become 2nd class citizens and then crave the independence they once had.

Marriage is a construct built when the life expectancy was 40years, of course they lived happily ever after...forever...

Someone up there stated " same last name" lol. Welcome to the future, look up peer marriage. Having the same last name doesn't mean anything.

In my opinion marriage shouldn't be this struggle filled with so much unhappiness and unfulfillment. Which I see more often than not. Why don't we change it. We all need a life partner that can be a friend or sibling.

If you want kids pick a partner who has the potential to be a great father or mother. Raise your kids then revisit staying together once they are grown.

The idea of finding one person who is sexually attractive to you, self actualized AND a good parent AND who you are in love with AND who is in love with you all combined seems ridiculous.

We need to use logic as an intelligent race. Love is fleeting.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
Someone up there stated " same last name" lol. Welcome to the future, look up peer marriage. Having the same last name doesn't mean anything.
same last name... if you ever have children, and they end up going to the hospital, it's much easier if you all have the same last name (less time filling paperwork to figure out who you are)

the same applies anytime the children go anywhere, if your last name matches theirs, people don't ask so many questions. if it's not the same, then they (often legally) need to do their due diligence to make sure that you aren't the crazy ex or something like that.

for the sake of convenience, most people still use the same last names.

bigbyte

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 9, 2013
I was married for almost 27 years before I (M) filed for divorce. So, I am biased. I do think marriage serves its purpose, but the framework that has developed around it is outdated. A long-lasting partnership with some basic rules is important - we just have to let go of the idea of everlasting happiness. If happiness and joy stay, fine - but even a lesser version may work.

However, the way how it is legally implemented - that system I think is a failure. In my case my now ex-wife decided to coast and take everything for granted and did not put any effort into the relationship. It turned into a loveless situation with no way out. I stayed too long for convenience and being scared of the consequences, but in the end decided that my personal happiness was more worth than the cost of the divorce. A better framework needs to be found. I am on the hook to pay a lot of money even though I consider myself a victim of circumstances. Yes, I know there are other situations and kids also need to be considered and paid for, but I think it is important to have a better system developed.

How such a better system may look like, I do not know just yet. I just think the current system is a failure.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Oh yes this is a good point and I want to add as an example for you, my aunt who has had 7 (maybe 8?) husbands.

She gets divorced all the time.

My grandpa couldn’t go to her last wedding and he told her:

“Don’t worry, I’ll catch the next one.”
My sister-in-law has been married about 7 times. When she got her masters' degree, nurse practitioner's license, we made a big trip to her graduation. I told my husband that at least I knew that one would stick. She can't believe that my husband and I are still married and that we're happy together 16 years later. And we got married very late in life...

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
My sister-in-law has been married about 7 times
adqdejM_700b.jpg

D

Deleted78083

I see marriage as what it is: a contract to get two people to stay together until they die.

Would you sign a life-long lease for an apartment or a life-long contract to serve one client?

No.

So the problem with marriage is not so much the idea of a contract, but its length.

If people were to get married for a fixed period of time (say, 10 years), there wouldn't be as many divorces. The contract would simply expire if they wished not to stay together anymore, and they would part ways in a friendly manner. They'd also be able to renew the contract if they wanted to too.

Personally, I'd have a big problem committing to someone for life.

But I wouldn't mind getting married for 10 years, and then see.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
the whole point isn't what YOU or your spouse get out of it - it's a commitment to children and the stability it creates.
if your going to have children, commit to bringing them up with top of the line guidance, and don't slack off on it.
If your going to have a committed togetherness (without children) then co-habitate without a marriage, but please, for the sake of the children, don't have any!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I was married for almost 27 years before I (M) filed for divorce. So, I am biased. I do think marriage serves its purpose, but the framework that has developed around it is outdated. A long-lasting partnership with some basic rules is important - we just have to let go of the idea of everlasting happiness. If happiness and joy stay, fine - but even a lesser version may work.

However, the way how it is legally implemented - that system I think is a failure. In my case my now ex-wife decided to coast and take everything for granted and did not put any effort into the relationship. It turned into a loveless situation with no way out. I stayed too long for convenience and being scared of the consequences, but in the end decided that my personal happiness was more worth than the cost of the divorce. A better framework needs to be found. I am on the hook to pay a lot of money even though I consider myself a victim of circumstances. Yes, I know there are other situations and kids also need to be considered and paid for, but I think it is important to have a better system developed.

How such a better system may look like, I do not know just yet. I just think the current system is a failure.
My parents divorced after 43 years of an unhappy marriage. Those post divorce days -- her last 10 years -- were Mom's happiest years. She really bloomed and came into her own day as a person. But, even though Dad was remarried, he always talked about Mom as though they were still married. I don't think he appreciated her until he lost her. He was consumed and haunted by the fact that she was happy without him. They're both gone now and I still find the whole situation to be a true human tragedy.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
the whole point isn't what YOU or your spouse get out of it - it's a commitment to children and the stability it creates.
if your going to have children, commit to bringing them up with top of the line guidance, and don't slack off on it.
If your going to have a committed togetherness (without children) then co-habitate without a marriage, but please, for the sake of the children, don't have any!
Lol I was waaaaay happier as a kid when my constantly fighting parents divorced.

Fr33zerPop

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 14, 2020
Portland, Oregon, USA
I read (probably here) that only 1 in 10 entrepreneurial ideas are a success. I've also read that fewer than 1 in 20 professional stock/currency traders are successful. 1 in 2 chance with marriage? Those are my best odds in my life right now.

As I age, I get more clarity on what I've always been told--that true success in life becomes increasingly about earning the right to share life with people I value, and the satisfaction that they want me in their life. And I've learned that the people I value are the ones that I've committed to, not the ones that I've just enjoyed the most. To that end, marriage is quite compatible.

(Married 25 yrs)

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I see marriage as what it is: a contract to get two people to stay together until they die.

Would you sign a life-long lease for an apartment or a life-long contract to serve one client?

No.

So the problem with marriage is not so much the idea of a contract, but its length.

If people were to get married for a fixed period of time (say, 10 years), there wouldn't be as many divorces. The contract would simply expire if they wished not to stay together anymore, and they would part ways in a friendly manner. They'd also be able to renew the contract if they wanted to too.

Personally, I'd have a big problem committing to someone for life.

But I wouldn't mind getting married for 10 years, and then see.
Your post makes you sound very young. A contract? How about a commitment? How about your spouse being your BBF? I married my husband when I was 50 years old -- after being single for 17 years. And the years have gone by. The sign in our bedroom reads, "Marriage is having a sleep-over with your best friend every night." I hope that for you someday.

Fr33zerPop

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 14, 2020
Portland, Oregon, USA
Hi All,

Something I have been thinking about internally for a while is the idea of marriage and whether or not it is worth it in today's society (I am speaking from a 1st world western country).

I do think that my upbringing has had effected my viewpoints on the matter (coming from a family who's parents divorced when I was young and it being a fairly bitter process for both parents).

Ultimately, from looking into the statistics with basically 1 in 2 marriages ending in divorce along with most people identifying as agnostic or atheist is there any need for the idealism of marriage anymore? The only reason I can see it being more prevalent is if you want children or for legal and tax reasons etc.

If a marriage is to go south it can have crippling effects on an individual mentally and financially. I was wondering what others views are on it and if they see the concept of marriage as now outdated as well? I understand that this is looking at it with a very pessimistic viewpoint, glass half empty stance if you will.

Also I do believe that their is a societal expectation from friends and family that by a certain age you should be married, 2.5 kids, settled down with a fat mortgage along with other liabilities etc. However, by going against this assertion it can open up a lot of time, freedom and ultimately allow you to take more risks in pursuit of business endeavours.

Thoughts on this and whether you view it as a 'scripted' idealism would be interesting.

Best,

S
p.s. It's terrible to hear so many disappointing stories about personal divorce, or that of their parents. I'm truly sorry you had to live through that. Ok, that said, as intelligent entrepreneurs remember that a poor marriage story isn't evidence against marriage. It's simply evidence against a poor marriage. Maybe it's the False Alternative fallacy?

D

Deleted78083

Your post makes you sound very young. A contract? How about a commitment? How about your spouse being your BBF? I married my husband when I was 50 years old -- after being single for 17 years. And the years have gone by. The sign in our bedroom reads, "Marriage is having a sleep-over with your best friend every night." I hope that for you someday.
Haha, I won't hide that one of the longest blog articles I ever wrote is called "18 valid reasons not to get married ever".

It's a concept I understand and I respect people that get married.

But overall, I believe marriage hurts more than it brings value. I think it's an institution that had some sense when it was created, but that doesn't have any today because society has evolved. The reasons that justified marriage disappeared.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Haha, I won't hide that one of the longest blog articles I ever wrote is called "18 valid reasons not to get married ever".

But overall, I believe marriage hurts more than it brings value. I think it's an institution that had some sense when it was created, but that doesn't have any today because society has evolved. The reasons that justified marriage disappeared.
Funny, that it has evolved that much. When I was 18, being a woman, I could NOT buy a house because my income was not considered for a loan. I could NOT have a credit card nor a credit line at a bank. Everything had to have a man's signature. Then, in 1974, the Fair Credit Act became law and they couldn't deny me for simply being a woman. There also was the little issue of childbearing. That was also when birth control pills became widely available. Women could control how many and when they had children. Women at that time didn't generally have children outside of marriage because they couldn't take care of them. And they were socially shunned. So were single women. Oh, and did I tell you that most careers were closed to women at that time? And the pay gap between women and men was brutal. My first husband made more as a common laborer than I made with my college education.
My goodness, how far the world has come in the last few years!

Milos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jul 11, 2017
Serbia
Think about 500 years ago what marriage meant... You and your wife just decided to get together with friends and family and make a commitment to one another. Done.
More like your parents, her parents and maybe a few influential relatives decided that you and your wife will get married, you being in late 20's and her just having her first period. Done.

Milos

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jul 11, 2017
Serbia

Marriage can be either good or bad for the individual. But lack of marriage is disastrous for society at large. We haven't evolved anything. We are literally importing people who do get married and have kids to make up for those who do not.

btls101

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 25, 2019
Hi All,

Best,

S
Yeah, so I'm with you on this for sure and im western 1st world as well and im kinda on the bias side of growing up in a pretty abusive mom and dad relationship, but we have since mended things since, to be able to continue are familys business .

There is definitely a huge love problem in this world to begin with then you throw these social media devices in are hands and were all that much more anxious and dependent in the wrong manner.

Relationships definitely require allot of time and work to be successful but also they can make couples in there absolute best forms as well but it's definitely rare to see. IE: couples constantly practicing good habits , working out and healthy diets, staying proactively growing toward something like a goal, they both believe in.

I on the other hand have many female freinds that I simply have relationships with them and that we just maintain the freinds with benefits thing , but it does definitely put me in my alpha male state of mind on having allot of girlfriends and so much freedom with them going forward. I tend to see allot more production getting done within all parts of my life.

If I was to ever have kids and a family it would only be through common law. I just see no benefit in being married from the man perspective, see too many guys get destroyed from it. And also If a girl was to want to be with me in my life she would simply be okay with not being married and were together as is, basic female attraction to a alpha male leader , who basically says everyday " I got this " . Girls want that in a man and just get after it everyday.

i am pretty simple just clean diet, workout and run a business like every man should and you'l develop that sense that women crave out of men, and listen to rogan podcasts , thats about it.

j0elsuf

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Dec 15, 2020
The answer to this all depends on:

-Where you live
-Your gender
-Whether your marriage is monogamous or not

If you are a dude who lives in the west who wants a monogamous marriage...it's BEYOND scripted. It's sleeptalking. The divorce rate in the US is what, like 66% for marriages longer than 5 years? And of that 66%, the chick files about 85% of the time. Oh yeah and alimony knows no jurisdiction either; like student loans, you'll need to pay if you have enough money.

Soooooo let's see: About a 1/4 chance of the marriage actually working, with student loan like debt if you have a kid and it doesn't work. Hmm. As much as lolcows that they act, the MGTOW crew are onto something here.

NOW! If you are a CHICK who lives in the west, monogamous marriage is win city...provided you file for divorce when the kid drops. I would personally have 4 ex-husbands if I was a chick. If I have a kid with each one, that's FOUR sources of passive income lol! And given that even 250+ lb single moms can get simp dudes to take care of their kids for em...it's a no-brainer.

This isn't just MGTOW lol-ery. I've witnessed this first hand. My current gf in progress is enjoying this. Her ex still lives with her too yet she goes on dates with me. About a quarter of every chick I have slept with has been in an open relationship. Crazy, but guess what? It's how culture is changing. Pin it on whatever you want: Girl Power, hookup culture, whatever...it's a fact of life.

The answer to this is open marriages. I suggest anyone in this community who wants to get married to read/watch a dude named Caleb Jones (aka Black Dragon) on the subject. Dude is a genius when it comes to relationships.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Marry someone who can keep the books for your business and the household.

And who makes you happy and who you actually want to live in the same house with.

And who doesn't want to start the marriage with $20,000 in debt because they need a fantasy wedding to impress people they barely associate with, at age 20 with no income.

And who makes (50% of) smart, emotionally stable children who don't believe the BS and end up with $1,000,000 in college loans, and who can sustain themselves by age 18.

Now is marriage scripted, or do scripted people just apply their ideologies to it?

Marigold

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 15, 2018
Glasgow & Malaga
Hi All,

Best,

S
I don't think that 1 in 2 marriages failing is to do with marriage being good or not. It's more to do with people making bad decisions and not being willing to work on themselves or their relationship. We're far more immature than our great grandparents.

There's a societal expectation to be married and have kids (mortgage and debt is not connected to that) by a certain age because, that's kinda what we're here to do, find a mate and procreate. Going against it is fine if that's what ultimately fulfils you but business success isn't a patch on love, connection and raising children in the grand scheme of things.

Marriage is good for kids. I think it's a very positive institution and I have a lot of time for it.

Fr33zerPop

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Jan 14, 2020
Portland, Oregon, USA
Hi All,

Best,

S
In the Bible, marriage was invented by God. So honestly, I'm a little surprised at how much people (or governments) that don't follow Jesus hold it dearly. If you aren't a Jesus follower, why care?

Marigold

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 15, 2018
Glasgow & Malaga
In the Bible, marriage was invented by God. So honestly, I'm a little surprised at how much people (or governments) that don't follow Jesus hold it dearly. If you aren't a Jesus follower, why care?
I guess because it has benefits to society too.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hi All,

Best,

S
There is also another dimension to this topic, other than “Should I get married?” which is more or less a question of person preference and circumstances.

Do you think marriage as the dominant institution will stay? What will the trend be?

I think so.

1) The state wants children and marriage is the only reliable institution for bringing children up so far. They will channel resources to support it.

2) People tried other forms of more open relationships in the past and failed. You can google experiments down in early days encouraged by Soviet Russia and Communist China guerrillas. The conclusion is that open relationship leads to fighting and jealousy and it “undermines the fighting spirit of the revolutionary forces”. Subsequently for a long period of time permissive and open sexual relationship was viewed “bourgeois decadence”.

I think there are more people opting single or married without children. But I don’t think (at present) there is any competitive alternative that can be applied to others.

Maybe in the future people will invent something called a “flexible contract” where people put in terms on what they want and expect instead of having the state to arrange a one size fit all approach. It could be interesting and workable in theory for the future generation growing up as consumers who want customization for everything.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I like marriage if I get more than 2 wives and bulletproof prenups with "getting fat" clauses.
Are you serious???? A lot of the single guys I know are struggling to find that one woman who will have them. Women used to worry about looking good to find a husband. Now it is the guys working out and fussing themselves up to attract a mate.

Happyheart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Dec 11, 2020
Hi All,

Best,

S
Marriage is one of the most important business decisions many people make in their entire life. Just as you do not lightly choose a business partner, you have to think with your frontal lobe (the one above your belly button that is).
Sure, like with almost any investment, there is no guarantee. But if you do your homework, you can maximize gains and reduce risks. Therefore it is astounding to me, that some people don't invest effort in this union, once they have made their vows. People fall in love while doing nice things together, but expect to stay in love by discussing dirty socks and yearly taxes.
Marriage greatly increases chances that you are still together until the kids reach 18. And part of this is caused by the sheer fact, that you tend to invest more time, effort and love in a house that you own and plan to keep for the next 40 years, than in a rental appartment.
And yes, you can be in love after 20 or 30 years, if you are attentive, do fun things and develop your shared interests. That should not be so hard for the veteran fastlaner - treating it with as much zeal as your business projects, will produce ever more positive results than just toggeling along with minimum effort.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Good luck with finding a high-quality woman that will settle for half a man then...

My girl and I are going out to dinner tonight. Happy valentines day. Don't reflect your own insecurities and inadequacies onto other people. I feel bad for you though.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Are you serious???? A lot of the single guys I know are struggling to find that one woman who will have them. Women used to worry about looking good to find a husband. Now it is the guys working out and fussing themselves up to attract a mate.
All the girls are at the hot guys place. The chumps are screwed but us top 5 percenters are enjoying the spoils. go google hypergamy

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
All the girls are at the hot guys place. The chumps are screwed but us top 5 percenters are enjoying the spoils. go google hypergamy
Is that what you believe? Each to his own...

Someday you'll find yourself surrounded by people who don't care about you -- in a lifestyle that no longer means anything to you -- in a place heaped with possessions that no longer please you -- and you'll feel totally alone while you strive to find that next thing or person to fill that huge black hole in your heart. My friends who are Buddhist call that painful yearning having a "hungry heart". It's currently called FIMO.

Marigold

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 15, 2018
Glasgow & Malaga
Is that what you believe? Each to his own...

Someday you'll find yourself surrounded by people who don't care about you -- in a lifestyle that no longer means anything to you -- in a place heaped with possessions that no longer please you -- and you'll feel totally alone while you strive to find that next thing or person to fill that huge black hole in your heart. My friends who are Buddhist call that painful yearning having a "hungry heart". It's currently called FIMO.
Agreed.

I've read through this thread again. Seems to me the ones against marriage probably aren't in a good one, have never been married or have come from a broken home... The ones for it are the ones really enjoying the experience and can see the massive value in being married even beyond the benefits of raising stable children.

Marriage and a stable family structure would go a long way to undo some of the bullshit we're seeing in our society from absent fathers and broken homes.

Open marriages and polyamory are a joke. Neil Strauss' book An Uncomfortable Truth About Relationships was one of my favourite reads EVER on this subject and he was a massive player! Open relationships might work for a while but not when kids come along.

Young people want to F*ck around, go for it. But after you've done, settle down, have kids, be a good partner.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.