The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it worth giving up a car to live closer to work?

7.62x51

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 27, 2015
I'm mainly interested in doing this to get the additional time to work on my project.

If I live less than 5 mins away (on a bike), I could get about 1 hour of work done from home during lunch. If I were driving and I give myself half hour to get to work, I would be saving about 50 mins from the commute (round trip), rounded off to 1 hour (don't need to worry about traffic jams).

So in total I could get an additional 2 hours of work done on my project during every work day (1 hr during lunch, 1 hr from the reduced commute).

Which works out to 10 hrs / week, 52 weeks in a year, so 520 hrs devoted to my personal project in a year, not factoring in weekends.

Any thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
If you're thinking about a bike, maybe consider a moped or motorcycle. They're great on gas and you can expand where you're planning on living. A used moped/motorcycle can be easily under 1k and the gas is crazy efficient bc you're not tugging 1 ton of a metal box with you.

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Dec 27, 2016
Living simple is always profitable.

Apart from commute time, you will save the following:

- Money
- Attention and energy
- The wasted time and energy for inspections and maintenance

I am a huge fan of living close to work.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.