The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it possible to gain weight / mass with just US$50 per month?

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
102-Weight_Gain_4000.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kinematic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jul 31, 2016
Dallas, TX
If you're leaving your shake out and using whey protein, that's essentially spoiled milk you're drinking.. narsty.

For your goal you'd be best served doing some basic strength training in addition to eating more food. The guy you posted probably lifts weights in some fashion but clearly isn't "aesthetic" according to the magazines.

I suggest the weights because if you just eat more and only gain fat you'll feel/look sloppy and still won't fill out your shirt.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
If I leave whey protein mixed with some sort of liquid (water, milk, etc.) out for any prolonged period of time, it will develop a stench. This process seems to accelerate if I leave the blender bottle in a warm area (such as my car in the sun). The smell is bad enough to keep me from wanting to drink anything, so I can't tell you if it tastes sour (though it sure smells like it would be). I'd recommend mixing, drinking on the spot, and then washing out any containers as soon as possible, but if that's not possible, then I imagine keeping the shake refrigerated would help as well.
If you're leaving your shake out and using whey protein, that's essentially spoiled milk you're drinking.. narsty.

Yup, I just leave it out on my office desk and when I get home at night to finish up the rest of the drink, I must say it's disgusting as hell.
(always ending up with a tummyache after that)
This happens even with mass gainers though (mass gainer powder + water).

Do you currently do any form of physical training ?

I recommend focus on strength training upto 3x a week (you don't have to go all crazy and get a gym membership or start thinking about squats, deadlifts etc... body weight exercise is enough - pull ups, dips, sit ups, push ups etc..)

I would also incorporate about 2 days of cardio - simple 2-3km jog, just to keep your cardiovascular system in good shape and help with digestion and absorption of all the food you will be consuming.

My selection would be - 1. Peanut butter 2.Beans 3.Potatoes 4.Vegetables of choice 5. Preferred protein source (chicken, beef etc...)

No strength training, but I do attend dance classes 3 times a week so I guess that's considered a form of cardio (yeah, the sweating was mad).
Tbh, the main reason I don't really like strength training and going to the gym is that it's boring. Repetitive actions all the time....

For peanut butter, I often hear people tout about that, but does it have any side effects of taking too much? Sodium levels?

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Who cares that you are scrawny? If you are healthy, keep being healthy. Valuing the opinions of others ( beside this one lol ) is silly. If you are insecure about your physique you need to think about it logically. Also if you can't afford more than $50 bucks a month that is a lot more important than worrying about what your body looks like

Kinematic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jul 31, 2016
Dallas, TX
Mass gainers are typically composed of mostly maltodextrin and protein power so that males sense why it's making your stomach upset when it's still spoiled milk.

I can't eat peanut butter (allergies to legumes) but it has a high fat content and sometimes high sugar so it's really not healthy imo.

As far as sodium goes, limit the amount if you have a tendency for high blood pressure otherwise just drink enough water so your urine is clear. Easy peasy.

LeonardoB

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
May 31, 2017
Australia
No strength training, but I do attend dance classes 3 times a week so I guess that's considered a form of cardio (yeah, the sweating was mad).
Tbh, the main reason I don't really like strength training and going to the gym is that it's boring. Repetitive actions all the time....

For peanut butter, I often hear people tout about that, but does it have any side effects of taking too much? Sodium levels?

I completely understand what you mean by that, I also feel that same way, the whole gym "pick weights up and put them down" thing is not me, but strength training does not have to be boring at all, as I said simple as doing every 2nd day doing some push ups, sit ups, dips, chin ups..

Search up calisthenic workouts on the internet, minimal equipment needed and a whole lot better for your body than just picking up heavy weights.

As for peanut butter just buy an organic option or the type that has undergone minimal processing, also don't over do it, consume maybe 2-3 heaped tablespoons per day and that should be plenty, remember anything in excess could start doing you damage.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I had really got serious into body building about a 1.5 years ago; packed on 15 lean pounds and dropped body fat to 10% in a total body comp (170lbs 14bf -> 185lbs 10bf). It took a crazy amount of effort & discipline but I achieved the "impossible" body re-comp of bulking & cutting at the same time.

But
oddly enough; my focus on businesses took a hit while doing it.

For me: Grinding & Hustling is directly inverse with body building. One or the other has to go lol. I still workout and sit at about 11-12% but I just watch what I eat and that's all. I don't eat around the clock & chug down shakes, vitamins, meal prepping, cooking, logging macros, etc. etc.. like a freakin' job anymore.

I easily bought $200 worth of groceries or powders/bcaa/etc. every week (just for myself!). And when your body fat goes to a certain level with very little carbs; your brain stays foggy & tired. I couldn't afford to be that anymore... not just money wise, but time & focus-wise was a big opportunity cost expense.

Anyways; just my two cents.

Last edited:

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Ok guys, I've managed to put together a list of food that can provide an additional 897 calories on top of my 3 meals.
Here it is:

b45cb1c156b97e8eefbfa22b3d8c7da2.png

Total avg cost per month: Less than US$50 (for my country)
If I include the entry fees for the public gym, then it hits around US$50.

I left out the protein powder as its expensive as F*ck.
(I fantasize about having the $$$ to buy a mass gainer, then I can increase the calories to create a 2,187 calorie MONSTER SHAKE)

To minimize the amt of time I workout and spend in the gym, I'll workout only on 2 days Thursday and Saturday.

Thursday will be bodyweight training at the nearby park.
10 mins total traveling time to and fro
25 mins (max) workout
Will be doing pull-ups, chin-ups, triceps dips and incline pull-ups

Saturday will be at the gym.
30 mins traveling time to and fro
35 mins max work-out duration (due to crowded gym, there should be lots of waiting so I'll factor in additional 30 mins waiting time)
(total time in gym : 1 hour max)

For Saturdays, I'll go for low-reps-heavy-weights-2to3-sets. Doing deadlift, squats, dumbell bench presses and shoulder shrugs.

My goal is to pack on ~18 pounds (8 KG) in 4 months, not sure if this is too hard to achieve.

Does this sound wonderful? :smile2: Any critique is greatly welcome!

Last edited:

LeonardoB

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
May 31, 2017
Australia
Ok guys, I've managed to put together a list of food that can provide an additional 897 calories on top of my 3 meals.
Here it is:

b45cb1c156b97e8eefbfa22b3d8c7da2.png

Total avg cost per month: Less than US$50 (for my country)
If I include the entry fees for the public gym, then it hits around US$50.

I left out the protein powder as its expensive as F*ck.
(I fantasize about having the $$$ to buy a mass gainer, then I can increase the calories to create a 2,187 calorie MONSTER SHAKE)

To minimize the amt of time I workout and spend in the gym, I'll workout only on 2 days Thursday and Saturday.

Thursday will be bodyweight training at the nearby park.
10 mins total traveling time to and fro
25 mins (max) workout
Will be doing pull-ups, chin-ups, triceps dips and incline pull-ups

Saturday will be at the gym.
30 mins traveling time to and fro
35 mins max work-out duration (due to crowded gym, there should be lots of waiting so I'll factor in additional 30 mins waiting time)
(total time in gym : 1 hour max)

For Saturdays, I'll go for low-reps-heavy-weights-2to3-sets. Doing deadlift, squats, dumbell bench presses and shoulder shrugs.

My goal is to pack on ~18 pounds (8 KG) in 4 months, not sure if this is too hard to achieve.

Does this sound wonderful? :smile2: Any critique is greatly welcome!

That’s actually a sound schedule, good mix of resistance training.

Keep it up !

BradD

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Oct 11, 2013
Ottawa
If aiming to hit a certain goal (i.e. weight, bf % etc), you simply must be tracking your macros on a daily basis (I'm a big believer in the IIFYM, as long as your fibre # is hit)- the great thing about IIFYM is that you don't have to sacrifice/miss out on foods that you enjoy eating, you just adjust your macros accordingly. As with anything, it takes time to enter these into one of the 1MM apps out there, but it becomes a habit.

Find your TDEE (maint cals)- on bulk +~500 cals, on cut -~500 cals (everyone will have a bit of a different take on macro breakdown so I won't bother explaining mine lol). Doesn't have to be exact, the farther you are away from these targets (generally speaking), the longer it will take to hit your goal. Either way, be in it for the long haul because it takes some serious time to get positive results (the dreaded process.....)

Another sexy tip.. in my experience, after switching to a 3 day push/pull leg split from your typical 5 day bodybuilder split that I've used for years, I've maintained the same strength/results that I was achieving without having to prioritize fitness above business at all times (which was weighing on me emotionally/causing some stress). Get up early on training days, knock it out before the typical workday madness starts, and you're off to the races :thumbsup:

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Maybe look into a building a new wardrobe that flatters your body better.

Plenty of "good looking" actors models are out of shape skin and bones when you see there body.

policebaton

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Apr 3, 2017
florida
I used to be really skinny, though I'm not fat, be warned that once you start changing your body weight it messes with your metabolism and the weight is not easy to take back off as you'd think!

That being said, I would blend shakes full of:
Whole milk
Raw oats
Peanut butter
Fruit

I would drink these calorie protein shakes, along with creatine and heavy lifting... really did the trick.

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
So what's the goal? Just gain weight with no regards to composition? Because eating to gain muscle without fat gain versus eating just to gain weight is different.

Either way, you need to be in a caloric surplus. Calculate your maintenance calories and eat over that. There, you'll gain weight. To save money, eat calorie dense foods like peanut butter, whole milk, beef, pizza, ice cream etc. Fast food works well too.

To gain muscle without gaining fat, you need your macros on point and you want a slight surplus. Like 200-500 calories over your maintenance on training days.

You don't need mass gaining shakes. You can easily make your own. But you do need to do some math, eat more, and consistently be hitting that surplus.

Also, whey/casein protein supplements are actually really cheap compared to other protein sources.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
So what's the goal? Just gain weight with no regards to composition? Because eating to gain muscle without fat gain versus eating just to gain weight is different.

To gain bulk/mass, to gain muscle with some fat (but not too much) is ok. I'm not looking for those Vince DelMonte 8% bodyfat type of look.

Either way, you need to be in a caloric surplus. Calculate your maintenance calories and eat over that. There, you'll gain weight. To save money, eat calorie dense foods like peanut butter, whole milk, beef, pizza, ice cream etc. Fast food works well too.

To gain muscle without gaining fat, you need your macros on point and you want a slight surplus. Like 200-500 calories over your maintenance on training days.

You don't need mass gaining shakes. You can easily make your own. But you do need to do some math, eat more, and consistently be hitting that surplus.

Also, whey/casein protein supplements are actually really cheap compared to other protein sources.

Yup, I've stopped buying the mass gainer ever since I've finished the previous tub, and now my calorie shake for the past week consists of:

1 tablespoon olive oil
250ml of low-fat milk
2 scoops of whey protein powder (this is the GNC brand, the cheapest I can find, but I still feel it's expensive)
1 cup of oats
3 tablespoons of peanut butter

This totals to 930 calories, I'v seen about 4 lbs of weight gain during the past 3 weeks!

Going to the gym tonight again.

Having a thicker and bulkier body feels great, it feels more complete and manly. I still have a long way to go though.

One thing about the mass gainer vs DIY calorie shake is that, although the calorie shake is 300 calories more than the mass gainer, it seems to digest much faster. With the mass gainer, it takes nearly 5 hours to just digest that 600 calories.

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
2 scoops of whey protein powder (this is the GNC brand, the cheapest I can find, but I still feel it's expensive)

Yeah... GNC is usually overpriced in everything. Plus the sales associates annoy me.

Do you have Amazon Prime? Check there, myprotein.com, Costco, or bodybuilding.com. I've found that myprotein is the cheapest, but I hate their taste. I buy all of mine off Amazon these days. A few extra dollars for whey that I enjoy and don't have to choke down is worth it (like pea protein -- so disgusting).

One thing about the mass gainer vs DIY calorie shake is that, although the calorie shake is 300 calories more than the mass gainer, it seems to digest much faster. With the mass gainer, it takes nearly 5 hours to just digest that 600 calories.

That's good, that's what you want if you're trying to add mass. Otherwise to slow digestion, switch to casein rather than whey.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
I practiced Olympic Weightlifting for a decade and we never consumed anything extra to gain muscle or strength you just need discipline and patience.

The faster and more eager you're to bulk the more likely you're to destroy your joints or get sick and lose your gains or overtrain or destroy your pancreas or liver or to get injured or to get bored and give up or to cause unnecesary long term damage.

And what about calories you might ask? The truth is you probably are already eating more than you need because that's any modern diet in a nutshell, we all eat in excess.

Just choose any 5x5 training program, but if you want muscle do 8 reps for each set instead of 5. Don't train to failure and make every repetition slow.

It's just math, if you add 50 kilos to your lifts you'll be bigger 100% guaranteed AND 50 kilos stronger.

If you still need additonal help on your diet I'll now reveal the secret superfood the best strongmen don't want you to know...

Milk.

Take a chocolate milk after your session. It's the cheapest and most effective (non illegal) gainer you'll ever need.

OK, I understand that you may still don't give a f**k about what I just wrote and you may still want to put more focus on the diet and "trainning hard". Fair enough. Many guys asked us for advice and they never did what we told them, I'm used to that.

In this case I really suggest you at least do regular fasting to "reset" your metabolism and provide your liver and pancreas some rest. A day a month minimum being once per week the optimal.

During the fasting day your body will change to fat metabolism and produce natural HGH to repair tissues, this will keep you healthy, lean and motivated. After every fast your meals will taste godlike and you'll have more energy for the next session.

Just keep it simple.

Last edited:

justonemore

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 19, 2017
NewYork
My 2 cents that you didn't ask for....
While you don't care today, bulking up and eating a lot of food can cause you heart issues later in life. Even something like lean chicken breast has a lot of cholesterol in it. You eat 2-3 of them a day and you're asking for it IMO.

If I were to try doing what you're doing, knowing what I know now. I would eat black beans, and steal cut oats in-between meals. That should do it and not hurt your body and will be super cheap.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I practiced Olympic Weightlifting for a decade and we never consumed anything extra to gain muscle or strength you just need discipline and patience.

The faster and more eager you're to bulk the more likely you're to destroy your joints or get sick and lose your gains or overtrain or destroy your pancreas or liver or to get injured or to get bored and give up or to cause unnecesary long term damage.

And what about calories you might ask? The truth is you probably are already eating more than you need because that's any modern diet in a nutshell, we all eat in excess.

Just choose any 5x5 training program, but if you want muscle do 8 reps for each set instead of 5. Don't train to failure and make every repetition slow.

It's just math, if you add 50 kilos to your lifts you'll be bigger 100% guaranteed AND 50 kilos stronger.

If you still need additonal help on your diet I'll now reveal the secret superfood the best strongmen don't want you to know...

Milk.

Take a chocolate milk after your session. It's the cheapest and most effective (non illegal) gainer you'll ever need.

OK, I understand that you may still don't give a f**k about what I just wrote and you may still want to put more focus on the diet and "trainning hard". Fair enough. Many guys asked us for advice and they never did what we told them, I'm used to that.

In this case I really suggest you at least do regular fasting to "reset" your metabolism and provide your liver and pancreas some rest. A day a month minimum being once per week the optimal.

During the fasting day your body will change to fat metabolism and produce natural HGH to repair tissues, this will keep you healthy, lean and motivated. After every fast your meals will taste godlike and you'll have more energy for the next session.

Just keep it simple.

Wait, if I read it correctly, you're saying you actually managed to gain mass and muscle (becoming bigger physically) without having caloric surplus? You didn't take protein powder?! :eek:

Btw I'm the hardgainer skinny type, so even when I eat junk food, it's hard to get fat.

My 2 cents that you didn't ask for....While you don't care today, bulking up and eating a lot of food can cause you heart issues later in life. Even something like lean chicken breast has a lot of cholesterol in it. You eat 2-3 of them a day and you're asking for it IMO.

If I were to try doing what you're doing, knowing what I know now. I would eat black beans, and steal cut oats in-between meals. That should do it and not hurt your body and will be super cheap.

Thanks, I've heard a doctor mention this before where he advocates staying lean especially as you get older cos the excessive eating will place a huge strain on your digestive system as you age. For my case, my caloric surplus is only 300 calories more than my required daily intake so guess it's still not too bad. When I reach 40, I'll have to eat even healthier.

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA

Powerlifting and olympic weight lifting are different than bodybuilding. You can get stronger without adding mass. You can get stronger even in a deficit.

Some people are thin, skinnyfat, and hardgainers. They think they're eating enough, but they're not.

I love lifting heavy, so I encourage everyone to do it. But I wouldn't say you'll get bigger guaranteed. I'll just leave this here:
View: https://youtu.be/l84vmuuuHRg?t=3m35s

5x5 is a great program for beginners. Agreed. Reps do not have to be slow, though.

Milk.

Milk has about an equal number of carbs and protein and ranges from 90 calories to 150 per cup. It is a good source. Some people are lactose intolerant, though, and there is research that milk isn't the greatest/healthiest food you can consume.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
Wait, if I read it correctly, you're saying you actually managed to gain mass and muscle (becoming bigger physically) without having caloric surplus? You didn't take protein powder?! :eek:

Btw I'm the hardgainer skinny type, so even when I eat junk food, it's hard to get fat.

Thanks, I've heard a doctor mention this before where he advocates staying lean especially as you get older cos the excessive eating will place a huge strain on your digestive system as you age. For my case, my caloric surplus is only 300 calories more than my required daily intake so guess it's still not too bad. When I reach 40, I'll have to eat even healthier.
Yes because what makes muscles grow is an exposure to progressively higher workloads.

If you want strength you do up to 5 reps per set and if you want mass up to 10/12 per set being 8 the optimal.

Calories are irrelevant, it's just an energy measurement. Energy doesn't build muscle tissue, protein does. Just make sure that you eat enough and you're good to go.

And you won't need that many proteins if you don't train to failure.

In short, don't worry about calories eat what you need, eat enough protein and choose the correct trainning program.

People get too focused on diets, supplements and weird trainning methods when they just need to lift more and better.

If you're skinny now is because you're not lifting enough in volume, if after some time you add 50 kilos to your lifts with an 8 reps per set trainning you'll get bigger. Unless of course you don't eat enough in calories and protein, but this is common sense I think.

Google sarcoplasmic hypertrophy and read about it, you'll understand the process better.

Also, dudewhat made me realize something very important: trust no one, do your research and adapt what you find it works to your particular and specific case. As MJ says, "there is no f*cking list".

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
Calories are irrelevant, it's just an energy measurement. Energy doesn't build muscle tissue, protein does.

It takes energy for your body to repair and build muscle. Hence, a slight caloric surplus.

People get too focused on diets, supplements and weird trainning methods when they just need to lift more and better.

Diet is like 90% of it.

There are millions of people out there -- and I'm one of them -- who are training adequately and putting in the work, but they spin their wheels for years because they don't pay attention to their diet.

Check out the cardio room of your gym. There are regulars who slog it out on the machines for years, yet they look the same. That's because they go home and woof down what they just burned.

It's all about your goals. If you just want to be stronger, then sure, hop on a strength building program (big compounds of 4-6 reps), and just make sure you're eating enough. You don't have to pay much attention to your diet and you will get stronger.

But you won't necessarily look good...

Check out my workout log/journal. I'm decently strong (definitely not the strongest guy in the gym), but I look like shit because I didn't pay attention at all to my diet.

I could have made 10x the progress if I would have just set a proper goal -- bulk or cut -- been consistent with that goal, and logged my nutrition.

Your diet is the number one priority. Exercise is second.

Also, dudewhat made me realize something very important: trust no one, do your research and adapt what you find it works to your particular and specific case. As MJ says, "there is no f*cking list".

Basically. I mean, you don't have to go and reinvent the wheel. Just look at what has worked for other people, try it out, and see if it works for you.

With fitness, what works for one person won't necessary work for others. But there are some basic principles that work for everyone, including the law of thermodynamics (calories in vs. calories out).

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I've a question. Recently, I bought a gym bench and dumbells for my home, so I can do dumbell bench presses without going to the gym.

The dumbells are adjustable, and the size of the plates are all large sizes in terms of diameter. Imagine those plates on the squat rack fitted onto a dumbell handle lol

Funny thing is, at the public gym, I can get the 44 lbs dumbell (20 KG each) into position and then lie back to do the press.

However, at my home, I can't for the life of me even carry up the 44 lbs dumbells into position. Because of this, I'm stuck at 37 lbs (17 KG) per dumbell.

Is this due to the size of the plates? (larger plates = more difficult even though weight is same)

I'm still thinking of how to progress to 44 lbs.

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
I've a question. Recently, I bought a gym bench and dumbells for my home, so I can do dumbell bench presses without going to the gym.

The dumbells are adjustable, and the size of the plates are all large sizes in terms of diameter. Imagine those plates on the squat rack fitted onto a dumbell handle lol

Funny thing is, at the public gym, I can get the 44 lbs dumbell (20 KG each) into position and then lie back to do the press.

However, at my home, I can't for the life of me even carry up the 44 lbs dumbells into position. Because of this, I'm stuck at 37 lbs (17 KG) per dumbell.

Is this due to the size of the plates? (larger plates = more difficult even though weight is same)

I'm still thinking of how to progress to 44 lbs.

Do you throw them up with your knee?

Set them on your leg while you're sitting, and then you kick your knees up as you yank up and lay back. Does that make sense?

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
If the plates are a different size, it may require stronger ancillary muscles to balance the weight into position.

Try a few workouts with a lower weight, get used to how the dumbbell carries and then go up. Adjustable dumbbells definitely do feel differently, and it may take a bit of getting used to from the regular singles.

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Do you throw them up with your knee?

Set them on your leg while you're sitting, and then you kick your knees up as you yank up and lay back. Does that make sense?

I know, I've been using that method all along at the gym but with these ones at home are different. Also, I can't set them on my thighs when sitting as both ends of the dumbell end in a long pole (you'll feel the weight of the whole thing being "nailed" into your thigh which is painful as hell)

If the plates are a different size, it may require stronger ancillary muscles to balance the weight into position.

Try a few workouts with a lower weight, get used to how the dumbbell carries and then go up. Adjustable dumbbells definitely do feel differently, and it may take a bit of getting used to from the regular singles.

Which are the ancillary muscles and is it possible to train them on their own so I can progress to get into position with the 44 lbs?

I agree, the adjustable dumbells seem very different from the fixed weight ones. The fixed weight ones actually feel a lot easier. After I've trained with the adjustable ones, the fixed weight ones seem lighter lol

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
I know, I've been using that method all along at the gym but with these ones at home are different. Also, I can't set them on my thighs when sitting as both ends of the dumbell end in a long pole (you'll feel the weight of the whole thing being "nailed" into your thigh which is painful as hell)

Which are the ancillary muscles and is it possible to train them on their own so I can progress to get into position with the 44 lbs?

I agree, the adjustable dumbells seem very different from the fixed weight ones. The fixed weight ones actually feel a lot easier. After I've trained with the adjustable ones, the fixed weight ones seem lighter lol

Yes, you can definitely train them independently of your bench, and a good work out regime would have most of them covered already (back, tri, delt, glute etc), but there are always good assistance exercises you can fit in if you want to really give your bench a boost.

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/accessory-onslaught-2-the-bench-press/

This article touches on a few really good assistance routines.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
If you aren't already doing tricep extentions, add those in as well as some lateral raises and bent over/db rows. That will hit your tris, delts and back.

If you have trouble with gripping the heavier weights or turning it, adding in some forearm exercise like wrist curls and farmers walks will help you there.

dudewhat

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Nov 17, 2017
USA
I know, I've been using that method all along at the gym but with these ones at home are different. Also, I can't set them on my thighs when sitting as both ends of the dumbell end in a long pole

Ohhh, I see which ones you're talking about. I hate those hahaha. What I would do is stand up, throw them up like a dumbbell hang clean, pack them on your shoulders kinda, and then sit down.

It's going to be hard to further progress with those at a certain point. I would get a barbell if you have the room. Then you can use the same plates and sh*t.

Dave E RDN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Feb 14, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Mark Rippetoe, author of Starting Strength, recommends a gallon of milk a day for those wanting to gain weight. If you did this 5 days a week on top of regular meals, you would definitely gain weight.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.