The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is it legal to show other companies' works in blog posts?

LaneMan

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 4, 2020
Mauritius
I want to start doing some content marketing on my website.

Let's say I write a blog post about responsive web design and want to show some example of company websites with bad and good responsiveness as examples.

Would these companies (especially the ones with non responsive websites) be able to come and sue me for doing that?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
They're publicly available for anyone to visit, so of course it's legal.

Nobody would ever bother to sue you, at worst they'd email you to remove their website from your blog which you aren't obligated to do.

LaneMan

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 4, 2020
Mauritius
They're publicly available for anyone to visit, so of course it's legal.

Nobody would ever bother to sue you, at worst they'd email you to remove their website from your blog which you aren't obligated to do.
Ok that's good then

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I want to start doing some content marketing on my website.

Let's say I write a blog post about responsive web design and want to show some example of company websites with bad and good responsiveness as examples.

Would these companies (especially the ones with non responsive websites) be able to come and sue me for doing that?
Just blur out any media or text which may be a subject of copyright and you are good to go.

TheKingOfMadrid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Dec 14, 2020
It's fine to do this but you do need to be careful with criticism in the business world.

You will be criticising websites that the owners may have ego-investment in the design themselves and ego's get hurt and enemies get made.

If you aim too low the owners might be a single coder slowly getting their website together over time - you may end up looking like a bad guy.

If you criticise medium size businesses, especially during a pandemic they may feel threatened and they have the power to return the volley.

Not saying don't do it, just know what you're doing.

LaneMan

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jul 4, 2020
Mauritius
It's fine to do this but you do need to be careful with criticism in the business world.

You will be criticising websites that the owners may have ego-investment in the design themselves and ego's get hurt and enemies get made.

If you aim too low the owners might be a single coder slowly getting their website together over time - you may end up looking like a bad guy.

If you criticise medium size businesses, especially during a pandemic they may feel threatened and they have the power to return the volley.

Not saying don't do it, just know what you're doing.
Yea I decided not to do it because even if they sue me and lose the case, they will end up draining me of all my money

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
Yea I decided not to do it because even if they sue me and lose the case, they will end up draining me of all my money

With this level of paranoia, you'll never get anything done.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.