The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Is it legal to show other companies' works in blog posts?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

LaneMan

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 4, 2020
Mauritius
I want to start doing some content marketing on my website.

Let's say I write a blog post about responsive web design and want to show some example of company websites with bad and good responsiveness as examples.

Would these companies (especially the ones with non responsive websites) be able to come and sue me for doing that?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Simon Angel

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 24, 2016
They're publicly available for anyone to visit, so of course it's legal.

Nobody would ever bother to sue you, at worst they'd email you to remove their website from your blog which you aren't obligated to do.

alexkuzmov

Silver Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I want to start doing some content marketing on my website.

Let's say I write a blog post about responsive web design and want to show some example of company websites with bad and good responsiveness as examples.

Would these companies (especially the ones with non responsive websites) be able to come and sue me for doing that?
Just blur out any media or text which may be a subject of copyright and you are good to go.

TheKingOfMadrid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 14, 2020
It's fine to do this but you do need to be careful with criticism in the business world.

You will be criticising websites that the owners may have ego-investment in the design themselves and ego's get hurt and enemies get made.

If you aim too low the owners might be a single coder slowly getting their website together over time - you may end up looking like a bad guy.

If you criticise medium size businesses, especially during a pandemic they may feel threatened and they have the power to return the volley.

Not saying don't do it, just know what you're doing.

LaneMan

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 4, 2020
Mauritius
It's fine to do this but you do need to be careful with criticism in the business world.

You will be criticising websites that the owners may have ego-investment in the design themselves and ego's get hurt and enemies get made.

If you aim too low the owners might be a single coder slowly getting their website together over time - you may end up looking like a bad guy.

If you criticise medium size businesses, especially during a pandemic they may feel threatened and they have the power to return the volley.

Not saying don't do it, just know what you're doing.
Yea I decided not to do it because even if they sue me and lose the case, they will end up draining me of all my money

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
I thought I would post up the first video from the newest 2021 program content... Just a...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I have not offered one of these in a while, but it looks like I have time to take on an...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Hi Andreas, It is per month, with the first month being half. This is a great question, I...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Hi Lex, I looked at several options including Kajabi and settled on the Divi theme on Wordpress...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
The story is BASED UPON a true story. The details aren't entirely accurate or from a distinct...

Forum Sponsor

Grow an online business:
- Start immediately!
- Master business skills!
- 100+ Fastlane students enrolled!
Review & Details >

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers